How can anyone play shooters on a controller?

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I am getting BF3 next week on the PS3 (and the PC), but I will be mostly playing the PS3 version until my PC is fixed. I've never played an FPS game on a console, but I have tried FPS demos on consoles at Best Buy and Target.

Analog sticks are an imprecise and sloppy way of controlling crossairs in a game. Coming from a mouse and keyboard, how can anyone deal with this level of imprecision? Fortunately, everyone will be similarly handicapped in multiplayer, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

This is my biggest gripe about console gaming, and I would love it if mouse and keyboard become officially supported ways of controlling input in console games, but I doubt Sony or Microsoft would allow that.

But oh well. I will be playing BF3 on PS3 until Ivy Bridge launches next year so that I can replace this busted motherboard and sell the CPU/RAM. So I will just to deal with it...

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

It's actually quite simple once you realize how big the hit boxes are in console games.

AngryJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AngryJuice
Member since 2011 • 305 Posts

I tend to pull the Right Trigger to shoot. I sometimes Pull the LT to aim, but that's just me.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
Generally you use your fingers and thumbs....lol jk
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Since I honestly don't care about shooters all that much, I'm content with whatever my controller offers me. If I can aim and shoot things, it's doing its job.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
how can anyone play on a computer. mouse and keyboard is so annoying and uncomfortable to use to play games
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
It's pretty easy
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Auto Aim. Huge Hit Boxes. That is all. People say Call of Duty is super fluent with a controller, I'll agree. Those super huge hit boxs help it A LOT!! Don't even get me started with Uncharted's hit boxes. Those are SUPER HUGE!!! I always see bullets fly by me, don't touch at all, yet I still get damaged. -.-
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

It doesn't really bother me. Sometimes I prefer the controller, or sometimes I prefer a KB/M.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
With their hands.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
It's actually pretty easy. Oh and I believe a person who can't adapt to different controllers isn't a real gamer >.>
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

I played Crysis/Warhead and Metro 2033 recently with a controller logitech f310 to be exact. It was ok but my skills were cut in half because of the accuracy and buttons.

Firstinstimct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Firstinstimct
Member since 2011 • 306 Posts
Controllers are alot more fun than a mouse, this isnt shoot the rubber duck to win a prize!!
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
its quite comfortable playing a dual analog setup on a ps3/360 pad. its not as precise as a mouse, but console shooters have adapted (hitbox sizes mild autoaim) and theres a solid opportunity for weighty controls. the worst thing was trying a dual analog fps on the gcn controller. the c-nub was awful for it.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Crazy amounts of auto-aim and massive hit boxes.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
well ive been playing shooters (on consoles and pc) for 15 years...so im used to it i guess... its not that bad.. of course pc is WAY better but its not like console fps is like playing a fighting game with keyboard/mouse :lol:
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Analog sticks are an imprecise and sloppy way of controlling crossairs in a game. Coming from a mouse and keyboard, how can anyone deal with this level of imprecision? Fortunately, everyone will be similarly handicapped in multiplayer, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

The_Capitalist

The games compensate with aim assist and larger areas for critical hits. I retired my PC about two years ago and have been playing console versions since then. It's more economically viable but, even after all this time, RTS and FPS games just feel "wrong" and unresponsive on a controller. When I got my PS3 and you could use a keyboard and mouse I was ecstatic. I honestly thought that they'd make games with controller lobbies, KBM lobbies and mixed lobbies... turns out that wasn't to be the case :(

Anyway the short answer is that you'll get used to it but, if you're like me, it will never feel as good or responseive as KBM.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
it's like playing basketball with one leg, it goes but the game is a lot more fun with two legs, off course in the beginning you will like it just like you will like it if you start b-balling on one leg but you grow tired of it pretty fast.
padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I used to play CS on an almost professional level and got used with analogic sticks. And today I really like them, playing with a controller has some advantages over kb/mouse.

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

Has this guy ever heard of twin-stick shooters?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Easy since games aim for you.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Generally, you start by placing one thumb on each stick. One is used for aiming, while the other moves your character laterally. The buttons serve various functions such as jumping, melee attacks, or reloading, and the triggers usually fire your weapons or shoulder the weapon and zoom down the iron sights.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

You must be new to gaming if you can't play shooters on a controller. Welcome!

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

its pretty easy, just like its easy to play with a keyboard or mouse

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
It's pretty simple really. You put one hand on the keyboard for movement and the other hand on the mouse for aiming right? Well, on controllers it's much the same way. You put one thumb on the left stick for movement and the other thumb on the right stick for aiming. You can also swap the stick functions if you're southpaw.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

I tend to pull the Right Trigger to shoot. I sometimes Pull the LT to aim, but that's just me.

AngryJuice
Yep. Rather easy actually. Its like anything you get used to doing, therefore tending to prefer it , and then have a hard time doing it a different way. Like I'm sure PC gamers, well some PC gamers prefer keyboard, and mouse controls, while some console gamers prefer controllers. Its all about preferences. I have a hard time getting used to my PS3 controller, especially after gaming so long on my 360. I really dislike the keyboard and mouse setup.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
You can actually get keyboard and mouse supported items for use on console, and if you use controllers enough you can actually become very accurate. The main issue is most shooters on consoles are >30FPS which makes precise aiming quite hard.
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Because they can and able to adapt. See those real life excavator, crane, or any machines operator with RC analog stick. They use it to control things with great accuracy. No complaint for being not able to use kb/m. If they can so do we.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Has this guy ever heard of twin-stick shooters?

Branmuffin316

What have twin stick shooters got to do with anything. The guy's talking about FP shooters.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I like ds3 better than a kb/m, but I like a kb/m better than a 360 pad, and I've never played a shooter with motion controls (wiimote or move).

I think you just have to get used to it. The sticks on the DS3 are incredibly sensitive, and allow you make those slight movements a lot of people seem to have a hard time who are used to a mouse.

The only problem is you have to depend on developers to program the sticks well. Turok on consoles is a good example of a console shooter that feels like a ported PC shooter with no acceleration programmed into the aiming.

Skreltch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skreltch
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

I used to play CS on an almost professional level and got used with analogic sticks. And today I really like them, playing with a controller has some advantages over kb/mouse.

padaporra

^HAHAHAHAH^

joke of the day award winner!!!

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

they call it Halo

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

You don't. The game plays it for you with auto-aim and huge hitboxes.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I am pro pc quake live playa. I can go to xbox 360 and quite literally destroy. Even that mlg gametype in reach. A true pc warrior can migrate to anything and pwn. WIth maybe the exception of kinect.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

Because they can and able to adapt. See those real life excavator, crane, or any machines operator with RC analog stick. They use it to control things with great accuracy. No complaint for being not able to use kb/m. If they can so do we.

Everiez
Lol what? Operating cranes and aiming in an FPS are not even close. :lol:
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

It's beyond me how anyone can play a shooter on a dual analog controller. It's terrible. Either go mouse or wiimote or nothing.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

It's actually quite simple once you realize how big the hit boxes are in console games.

GD1551

lol aim assist/auto aim ftw ;)

dual analog is so painful, I dont even consider playing fps games on consoles :P. ok thats a bit of a lie, but it is a huge deterent.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I am getting BF3 next week on the PS3 (and the PC), but I will be mostly playing the PS3 version until my PC is fixed. I've never played an FPS game on a console, but I have tried FPS demos on consoles at Best Buy and Target.

This is my biggest gripe about console gaming, and I would love it if mouse and keyboard become officially supported ways of controlling input in console games, but I doubt Sony or Microsoft would allow that.

But oh well. I will be playing BF3 on PS3 until Ivy Bridge launches next year so that I can replace this busted motherboard and sell the CPU/RAM. So I will just to deal with it...

The_Capitalist

Its fairly easy; a couple friends and mine used to play zombies on his XBOX 360.

RGDT021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RGDT021
Member since 2008 • 939 Posts

It takes much more skill, finess and coordination to be good with a controller... any fool can aim with a mouse.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

It takes much more skill, finess and coordination to be good with a controller... any fool can aim with a mouse.

RGDT021

Skill, the game is aiming for you....

LvL9Mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LvL9Mew
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts
i hate using a kb/m for shooters. maybe i just dont like it, or maybe i just dont use it enough to get the feel of it, but i much prefer controllers. in fact, i put in my 360 controller into my pc to play crysis. nightmare getting the controls mapped out anything decent, but it worked alright lol.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

People turn the controller on and press buttons.

Stuff happens on-screen.

It's really simple.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i think it's odd and impersise if i play on a keyboard and mouse?oh what now?

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

Using something you're not accustomed to feels strange. Controller's aren't ideal, but you'll get used to it.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

RGDT021
which is why console games feature auto aim :roll:
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

With Ease, I've Been Playing Shooter So long Now Its Second Nature

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#49 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
It's actually pretty easy. Oh and I believe a person who can't adapt to different controllers isn't a real gamer >.>mrmusicman247
I wouldn't go that far...sometimes if I spend a few monts with only my PC, I get a hard time adjusting to a controller (after a couple days it comes naturally though) and vice versa when I'm spending a lot of time on the PS3 or the 360.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Well what you do is, you push the buttons that correspond to the action you want them to do. You push the fire button to move, and put the analog in the direction you want to move.

It isn't rocket science and I'm beginning to suspect my grandma might be a PC gamer with this logic of not being able to understand controllers.