God Of War Hype Thread! Press ? repeatedly to hype - 9@GS 95 MC - Let the feast begin!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#651  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@cainetao11 said: @Shewgenja said: @cainetao11: I dont see it. The way you level up your equipment and skills in this game means that it is extremely open ended when it comes to how you approach the gameplay. I've never been one to give a toss about trophies, though. I'd be happy to turn them off if I could.

And there is the rub, folks.

For me? Yes, I expect something for being able to conquer the game at a higher difficulty. Achievements/Trophies aren't new. This is a thing, long established at this point in console gaming. Its a fault imo and no, I am not a trophy/ achievement hunter. But other games have been dinged for putting too many of these rewards in their MP side. You're a cow, so I don't expect ANYTHING to be a negative in this game from you guys or the media. Lets be real here.

Yeah, let' be real here. Im assuming you have made it to the huge open area on a boat (or is there more than one?) that has entire levels worth of hidden areas including boss battles. This game puts cinematic and narrative ahead of gameplay cuz trophies. Fuckin moo lol

For a movie game, it sure seems to have hours of exploration, collectibles, hidden zones, and player customization. Let's all just pop popcorn and watch this movie game. Lol of lolz.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#652  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts
@cainetao11 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I can completely understand why this is upsetting some longtime GoW fans. It really has been thrust into a narrative construct, whereas the first game had you running from A to B constantly fighting enemies, here there are significant down times just walking around catering to story and world building. I find it very similar to TLoU in this respect, in pacing, and in relational dynamics. That said, I adore this approach and applaud Sony and SMS for having the guts to leap out and try something very risky. This is a reinvention that had to happen; it will alienate a lot of fans I have no doubt, but it will grow far more in turn than it loses.

The combat is sublime. There's a tangibility and cohesiveness in encounter design here I've seldom seen accomplished so well in the genre (even in the best on offer). I've always found the old GoW games to be lacking in their hitbox execution. Object A does A's animation, object B does its own, yet both felt like they didn't occupy the same world when in conflict. Blades would simply pass through enemies while they did their generic hit animation cycle. Here, Kratos and the enemies genuinely feel like they're knocking each other around in the same space. Parrying with the shield, aiming and hitting different body parts, and slamming weapons as hard as is possible to devastating effect is satisfying as hell. Combat is intense, helped out by the son's screams that help lay out the battlefield that you can't see all at once due to the brilliant new perspective shift but still need to constantly pay attention to. And Holy Christ, those bosses. Wow. Whoever designed the enemy encounters is earning their pay.

As for the narrative, never in my life did I think I'd be intrigued in learning more about Kratos, previously the definition of a one dimensional character, that before this release I couldn't have cared less for. The writing in this respect I find phenomenal, he's fully fleshed out, and his son is necessary for this. Dad of War it may be, but it works nonetheless. I've only about 5 hours in so far, but this IMO is deserving of all the accolades it has received. And a 9 from GS? If this isn't deserving of a 10, then I don't know what is.

Nicely done Sony.

As for cons, what is with this trend of making text so minuscule and not offering an option to enlarge it? Seriously, don't these designers play their own games? I'm not 20 anymore nor do I have the vision of someone so young.

Well that's all subjective. I never give a 10 to any game. People say "10 doesn't mean perfect!" Then why is it on a 10 point scale? Where is there room for error in that? LOL

I am vastly enjoying this game. Yes, it follows a blue print that I am noticing from Sony big name first party games. Much time is spent on narrative and world building in TLOU, Uncharted 4, GoW and to lesser extent Horizon.

The combat is much more deliberate. Sort of like Souls games, just not anywhere near as punishing imo. I love it.

The game looks fantastic and LOL at people criticizing X1X because of this. It looks great because they have great graphic artists. No matter how powerful your hardware if the artists aren't the tops in the industry on it, it will show. The water is not up to the level of what Rare created in Sea of thieves. It isn't a comparison between the games, there is no basis for comparison imo. But for water? Get over yourselves fanboys, it loses.

I am really enjoying this game. I do see ypur point as a long time GoW fan. But since I do like TLOU and Uncharted 1-3 more than 4, I can handle the long stretches of story telling. This, as Shawn Layden told Greg Miller (SuperCow, not journalist) at PSX last year, is Sony's strength. It simply is. They are a well tuned machine at this. MSFT is not, period.

Thank you!! I thought it was me being 45 almost 46. The text is like the ingredients on a pack of Tic Tacs. WTF?

Well, if you are one the believe that perfection isn't possible then a 10 simply means that the game excels far above average in everything it sets out to do (which I believe is the case here). The graphics are breathtaking in their attention to every little detail, the combat is intensely gratifying in its visceral nature and can be customized to one's particular play-style, the voice acting is on point, the score suits the atmosphere perfectly while coming in at precisely the right moments, the variation in enemy design necessitates specific approaches to defeat each which keeps the player on their toes (especially in large fights), the environments are varied and the usage of color is exemplary and gorgeous, the implementation of a camera that never cuts adds to the immersion, and the writing and character development doesn't feel forced, flows perfectly, and is 100% plausible. Aside the text being the size of ants, I'm finding this similar to the original Mario Galaxy in that I'm fairly hard-pressed to identify much wrong here from a design standpoint. It's a tad humbling in its achievement, actually. Sure it's subjective, but I'd go to argue that within that subjectivity there is an objective quality that is quantifiable.

But that's for another topic...

But I agree wholeheartedly, Sony is definitely following a blueprint, and anyone is blind if they cannot recognize the influence of TLoU in this. From the much more focused, brutal, and intimate encounter design and melee fights, to having the kid assist in combat, to being exposed to the loss of innocence growing up in a merciless world mentored by a protective adult whose patience is nevertheless pressed, to the down times in service of the narrative......it's all here. And who can blame Sony, really? TLoU was praised to high Heaven (as I think it should be), and the sales and accolades have proven this formula is one to be exploited and further explored. They'd be foolish not to, and these types of games have their place alongside Nintendo's mechanics-focused game design as well as MS's multiplayer proclivities. I can only hope that Sony understands this particular formula can only go so far before fatigue sets in, and while they should retain the underlying foundation these games utilize, they should also explore other methods of storytelling that broaden past the teacher/pupil dynamic as these two games have adhered to.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#654 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@getyeryayasout: does this game do this to the pro as well?

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#655 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@getyeryayasout: does this game do this to the pro as well?

My pro has been pretty quiet running the game. It was loud up until i moved last month. Had way too much dust in it lol

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#656 MirkoS77

@getyeryayasout: eh, time to upgrade to a Pro anyway. :) I’m hankering to play this in 60 fps.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#658 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Does this game have photomode?

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#659 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Does this game have photomode?

Devs said they were putting one in, I don't think they wanted it out there before the game released.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#660 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@KBFloYd: Kratos voice is almost hardly noticeable from Terrence C. Carson to the new voice actor Christopher Judge. I hardly notice the change and while I wasn't happy about it the first time when this was announce by Barlog. I still prefer Terrence voice however, but I'm also liking Christopher Judge partaking on the newest and caring Father Kratos so far.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#661 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@davillain- said:

@KBFloYd: Kratos voice is almost hardly noticeable from Terrence C. Carson to the new voice actor Christopher Judge. I hardly notice the change and while I wasn't happy about it the first time when this was announce by Barlog. I still prefer Terrence voice however, but I'm also liking Christopher Judge partaking on the newest and caring Father Kratos so far.

lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#662  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@tgob89: ?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#663 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

For a movie it sure has a lot of blocking and dodging. Wtf is going on here.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#664 MirkoS77
@davillain- said:

@tgob89: ?

Doubtful he's played it, he's more than likely contrasting the characterization to what he knows about Kratos from the past games. Which if you haven't played this one, to think he is in any way capable of caring is a pretty ludicrous idea.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#665 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

The biggest problem I am having is the tiny text and cursor. I have to get really close to the screen in order to see them. Throwing the axe at a target that you only have a limit amount of time is awful.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#666 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said: @Shewgenja said: @cainetao11: I dont see it. The way you level up your equipment and skills in this game means that it is extremely open ended when it comes to how you approach the gameplay. I've never been one to give a toss about trophies, though. I'd be happy to turn them off if I could.

And there is the rub, folks.

For me? Yes, I expect something for being able to conquer the game at a higher difficulty. Achievements/Trophies aren't new. This is a thing, long established at this point in console gaming. Its a fault imo and no, I am not a trophy/ achievement hunter. But other games have been dinged for putting too many of these rewards in their MP side. You're a cow, so I don't expect ANYTHING to be a negative in this game from you guys or the media. Lets be real here.

Yeah, let' be real here. Im assuming you have made it to the huge open area on a boat (or is there more than one?) that has entire levels worth of hidden areas including boss battles. This game puts cinematic and narrative ahead of gameplay cuz trophies. Fuckin moo lol

For a movie game, it sure seems to have hours of exploration, collectibles, hidden zones, and player customization. Let's all just pop popcorn and watch this movie game. Lol of lolz.

Right. Uhm, I don't know where all this movie game shit is being thrown at me from. I have no problem with that if I'm having fun. TLOU, Uncharted 2 were amazing. Uncharted 4 was for one play through but that's just y opinion.

I play games on the hardest difficulty available when I get into it. By 2018 I expect there to be something for completing its entirety at a hrder level. You don't like that? Oh well.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#667 cainetao11

@MirkoS77: Well we disagree in game scoring. An 8/10 is well above average to me. An average by my scoring is a 5-6/10 Its a 10 point scale meaning if a game is at the ceiling of the scale it has no room for error. I've never played a game that perfect.

I completely agree on using their formula. I agreed with Layden, this is Sony's strength. Make that money son.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#668 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Anyone playing on launch Pro? Mine is getting incredibly loud when opening the map

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#669  Edited By Hawkeye44
Member since 2017 • 237 Posts

This game is fucking amazing.

Better than BB and U4. Best God of war no question.

My game of the gen now is between GOW and HZD.

Also that 95 Mc and all those praise got some here bleeding : lmao

Keep it up Sony.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#670 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't normally beat a dead horse but thought this was funny:

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#671 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts
@Telekill said:

Microsoft doesn't care enough about making great games.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#672 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@Telekill said:

Shots fired!!!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#673  Edited By MirkoS77

Fighting some bosses last night on a side quest, I was literally laughing out loud at how utterly ludicrously epic this game is when it's firing on all cylinders. It's ridiculous, the combat is simply ridiculous in how well it's executed. I can't help but coming away with a massive grin after I finish a long hard won fight to have Kratos do some amazing finisher. Everything about this game is on point.

As an aside, Kratos' later armor is very, very cool.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#674 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

anyone complaining about their ps4 pro's having loud fan noise, clean the vents and get rid of the cheeto dust and dead skin cells you dirty neckbeards.

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#675 gfxpipeline
Member since 2014 • 543 Posts

@hawkeye44 said:

This game is fucking amazing.

Better than BB and U4. Best God of war no question.

My game of the gen now is between GOW and HZD.

Also that 95 Mc and all those praise got some here bleeding : lmao

Keep it up Sony.

Yes.

I've only played for a couple days now but GoW is amazing on two levels:

1. The already well discussed update of the GoW gameplay

2. Just how incredibly polished the game is. Initial startup, loading and saving, etc.

I won't mention the game, but I am also playing a game from a PC developer and the load times and clunkiness compared to GoW is unreal.

Every single thing about this game just exudes quality.

Theproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#676 Theproof
Member since 2018 • 41 Posts

Game is a 11/10. I really don't know how I'm going to be able to play anything else for a while after experiencing this roller coaster. This isn't a game it's an experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#677  Edited By deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

@howmakewood: Launch pro is garbage. i got the new god of war edition and is so quiet. Cant even hear the fans. Launch pro tech is dated

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#678  Edited By MirkoS77
@theproof said:

Game is a 11/10. I really don't know how I'm going to be able to play anything else for a while after experiencing this roller coaster. This isn't a game it's an experience.

Yeah, game's off the charts. It's always a bit depressing when games this good arrives, because nearly all subsequent games feel inadequate in comparison.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#679 freedomfreak

I want a spoiler. Small one. Simple yes or no question.

Is Atreus Kratos' biological son or his wife's son?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#680 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Good game. I can see why it didn't get a ten though. Not feeling the "magic" that the gaming media seemed to have felt. Maybe if Sony had sent me to Norway to have my face painted like Kratos.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#681 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

I want a spoiler. Small one. Simple yes or no question.

Is Atreus Kratos' biological son or his wife's son?

So far, yes to both.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#682 Shewgenja

@GameboyTroy: Savagery!!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#683 Zero_epyon

My honest take on the game so far (don't know exactly where I am but in about 10-12 hours). It's great. Really fun to play, especially on the higher difficulty. But it's missing something that previous games had. Each fight is intense but not necessarily epic. Those moments have been few and far in between. It's not a huge deal because the smaller fights are tougher and actually much more strategic than I expected. Especially at a certain point of the game where you...nah I'm not gonna spoil it.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#684 Shewgenja

@cainetao11: I might have misunderstood what you were getting at when you were saying that Sony's games put narrative before gameplay. Anyways, God of War seems to be a buffet of gameplay and very well done cinematics.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#685  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Lololol :P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#686 freedomfreak

@Zero_epyon: what the **** even

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#687 Zero_epyon
@freedomfreak said:

@Zero_epyon: what the **** even

?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#688  Edited By Zero_epyon
@howmakewood said:

Anyone playing on launch Pro? Mine is getting incredibly loud when opening the map

Mine did that at the title screen and during the first 10 mins of the game. I was livid! but it eventually went away. I barely look at the map since I'm not in exploration mode right now.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#689 Bread_or_Decide

@Zero_epyon said:

My honest take on the game so far (don't know exactly where I am but in about 10-12 hours). It's great. Really fun to play, especially on the higher difficulty. But it's missing something that previous games had. Each fight is intense but not necessarily epic. Those moments have been few and far in between. It's not a huge deal because the smaller fights are tougher and actually much more strategic than I expected. Especially at a certain point of the game where you...nah I'm not gonna spoil it.

How many times am I going to fight that stupid Troll? Also, lots of human sized bosses.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#690 cainetao11

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11: I might have misunderstood what you were getting at when you were saying that Sony's games put narrative before gameplay. Anyways, God of War seems to be a buffet of gameplay and very well done cinematics.

Well I do bring up Layden's comments that story/sp games are their strength for a reason, I agree with him. In GoW I am LOVING the gameplay. In Uncharted 4 it wasn't enticing enough to get through a second time. But I think many games hit me like that. I don't play Halo 5's campaign much anymore. But I did play it more than once because there was an achievement for the higher difficulties. (should have been 500 points just to get through all that Osiris team bullshit once imo)

In the end I take it we are both loving GoW and hats off to Santa Monica.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#691  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@theproof said:

I'm a little sad that I'm not having this reaction to the game. :/ What am I missing here? It reminds me a bit of the tomb raider reboot for some reason, a series I love.

Also, I love how they have the brutal one button attacks from DOOM.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#692 Zero_epyon
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Zero_epyon said:

How many times am I going to fight that stupid Troll? Also, lots of human sized bosses.

Yeah that too. The same re skinned troll with different move sets. I mean I like that they change them up but give me something bigger a little more often.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#693 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

@Shewgenja: I don't think I've seen a console maker that didn't care enough about making games before. 3rd party games, Xbox One controllers and the internet are things that are keeping the Xbox brand alive.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#695 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

So far, it's been ok. I think it's pretty, but still has those spots where it's quite obviously a game. There is a lots of down time between battles. The fighting feels way more simplified over the previous games, maybe I just don't know how to do different finishers, but to me most of the special finisher are the same 3 or 4 animations over and over again.

I like the level design so far. Graphics are great in many spots. Story ... so far is interesting, let's see where it goes (hoping for twists, not just 'get to the mountain top'.

As for upgrading armor and weapons, i'm not impressed with this part of it. I'm like ... 7 hours in I think, and almost everything I find is not really better than the stuff I had from the start. Like I can upgrade armor, and the elemental addons, but they don't really seem to varied so far. This could change though as I progress further in the game. It's def more like the last of us than GOW1-3.

I'm fine with the new voice actor, and all the audio is pretty spot on. HDR looks amazing! I went into settings and turned it off for a bit, and man the image is flat without it. The boss battles feel way less epic than GOW3. Kratos is just missing that pure rage he used to have I guess, and the bosses are quite a bit smaller in many cases. Personally this is a solid 9.10 for me.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#696 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The only GoW review that matters

Loading Video...

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#697 QuadKnight

I f*cking love this game! The deeper you go into it the better it gets.

I'm really loving the deep combat system and customization. Best GOW game ever and instantly my GOTY.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#698 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@quadknight said:

I'm really loving the deep combat system and customization. Best GOW game ever and instantly my GOTY.

I could not agree more about how great this game is. I was not too fond of the first 3 hours or so, but then BAM! The game gets SOO much better!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#699 QuadKnight
@mojito1988 said:
@quadknight said:

I could not agree more about how great this game is. I was not too fond of the first 3 hours or so, but then BAM! The game gets SOO much better!

So true, I think the early parts of the game are like a tutorial. Once you finish them the game starts to open up and becomes more way more challenging and interesting.