God Of War Hype Thread! Press ? repeatedly to hype - 9@GS 95 MC - Let the feast begin!

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#601  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9555 Posts

Watched some spoiler footage now that the game is out. Late game abilities and enemies look awesome. @davillain- stay tuned bro. Puzzles are very nice in it too.

Looks like it's another souls game (with more interesting enemies and combat!). That's good, but might be samey for some people. I want this game very much now.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#602  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

I will copy my few thoughts so far here as well I guess.

Got my copy after over 4 hours maybe 5 of play, its time for a break. So many to unpack a lot of philosophical game design questions. Mostly about game intent and the added accessibility. For now I just gotta say kudos for who ever design the combat. Whatever happened this person did not cower away from annoying some gamers I praise him for this. He did not chicken out because of this camera. He design a challenge using the camera and not make some deliberate easy thing like always put AI in front of the player, because the player will be annoyed. That type shit that some times devs do. You do have to be mindful of position and mostly which enemies to priorities. I have been playing on "Give me a challenge mode" started out with some difficulties but getting easier as i start to formulate my way of fighting with different enemies and a few upgrades. Saving for the last difficult mode for another play through. Damn even these button mapping seems like some one really thought about the combat, how attacks feel.

I cannot speak about the whole game but man so far I'm grinning from combat moments, story moments and a couple of exploration secrets. This game is trending to be something great.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#603  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

Here is some footage of the early part of the game and some side quests on hard.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/252349724

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#605 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1613 Posts

Seeing the responses to people's first gameplay impressions make me want this game even more. Glad to see that we've got another good game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#606 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

It's absolutely brilliant that your axe has to return to you instead of just spawning in your hand.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#607  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@davillain- said:

(Copy/Paste for that I said in another GoW4 thread related on my experience with the game so far)

First let me just say the visual are on par with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice which is funny, since there both Norse games and which is good, because I really like Hellblade game but moving on, it's nowhere stunning as Horizon: Zero Dawn but God of War 4 still looks amazing. I found Atreus (Son of Kratos) actually pretty useful in this game. He grows on to you as you play the game, he adds another dimension to the game play and another dimension to the story with his personality.

Now about the combat, 8/10, it's fun but there are small annoyances like the camera, and auto tracking/focus but as I adapt to the combat gameplay, I actually like the new combat gameplay cause after replaying GoW3 Remastered, the combat was indeed dated and this new one was a nice change for once in the series.

• It's loud and satisfying
  • Switching between melee and armed combat is fun
  • There is no "out of sight - out of fight" here. You constantly have to watch your back (literally).
  • Atreus is useful
  • Parry is satisfying and even demanded by the game mechanics
  • Movesets are very limited at the beginning

It’s not bad by any means, and throwing the Axe makes up for the simplicity of the melee combat. Little annoyed at constantly getting snuck from behind in packs, but Axe throw, plus using the kid in tough battles does mix it up a bit. Fingers crossed that cool moves/weapons/variation get unlocked later. I'll try to return later as I progress the game further on and so far, I give this refresh God of War game a 8/10 for now and until I have completed the game, I'll pass out my final score of the game.

here is another person let down. kratos voice change sucks. etc... more last of us part2 than god of war 5....

Loading Video...

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#608 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

About to see what all this fuss is about

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#609 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3039 Posts

Nothing better then browsing youtube only to be spoiled by a thumbnail with a picture of the final boss. I hate the Internet sometimes.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#610 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts
@uitravioience said:

Nothing better then browsing youtube only to be spoiled by a thumbnail with a picture of the final boss. I hate the Internet sometimes.

Same thing happened to me. So stupid. Like, why are people even putting that stuff up?

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#611 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3039 Posts

@Zero_epyon: looks like I'll be staying off youtube until I beat the game

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#612 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

For those who have played GOW, what is the gameplay pacing like? Is your gameplay routinely interrupted with gameplay or story cutscenes? Are there walking cutscenes like Uncharted 4?

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#613 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2040 Posts

I'm 10 hours in and f**k this game is so beautiful.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#614 Zero_epyon
@Pedro said:

For those who have played GOW, what is the gameplay pacing like? Is your gameplay routinely interrupted with gameplay or story cutscenes? Are there walking cutscenes like Uncharted 4?

Cutscenes are very short. If anything they chain sequences together. You spend more time playing than watching.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#615 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Its simply awesome and looks beautiful

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#616  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I miss the old GoW combat....going to take some getting used to

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#617 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Cutscenes are very short. If anything they chain sequences together. You spend more time playing than watching.

Would you describe it to be similar to Uncharted 4?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#618  Edited By Zero_epyon
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Would you describe it to be similar to Uncharted 4?

No. Uncharted 4's pacing was broken up by cutscenes that felt much longer to me. Especially in between levels. Those cutscenes are long so they hide the loading times. In GOW, everything just flows at a decent pace with non playable scenes sprinkled in the mix. By the time you realize you're in a cutscene, it's pretty much over and you're back at it.

Not to mention the graphics are insane so sometimes you might not even notice the scene is over until you see a hud or you just stand there when you should be moving.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#619  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@Pedro said:

I want to say if Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of your favourite game you should be completely fine here. You like that uncharted game with few track back and crafting system gameplay that tomb raider is. This game completely blows that game away on those systems. However knowing you fannies on this board who knows if you would like this game. You can have some very weird mental gymnastic sometimes. How to describe it, yes some parts are like uncharted like ROTTR which has a lot more in common with that forsaken game. You will walk to cut scenes on one story side i have seen so far and the intro. It has that method of story telling on the main quest but gameplay holds and it fixes those types of games. I mean for something like TLOUS for example one big change that can already been seen is gameplay design around companion AI. The biggest different really is this game is a straight up modern day metroidvania game, it has that type of exploring and It has get gud combat if you want it. When you arrive at the centre hub area you could spend hours and hours doing nothing but gameplay challenges. It seems more hours can be spent on just that stuff then an uncharted game. Different type of challanges with areas that can be access when you find items or learn abilities to unlock you know metroidvania style. Lots of use your ability not too difficult puzzles like zelda. Even when on the main quest you explore and veer off different path. I played for about 9 hours so far doing that stuff and I have the same idea of story as someone who hasn't started the game. The story is set up in a way where the game does not give a **** about gameplay ruining story pace like a ND game.

Honestly you like Tomb Raider. If you have played its past GOW games or games like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry those will be very linear cinematic compare to this game. I have no f***in idea how you can not like this game because of cut scenes interrupts if you played those games or just many types of video games really. You may not like it because of combat is everything style perhaps or other things like rpg elements but cut scenes are not really a problem. I can only say that but have no idea how you gamers are like now days you could see a cutscene and run off.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#620 freedomfreak

Don't know if I dig Kratos' new voice. Sounds very amateur.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#621 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

I miss the old GoW combat....going to take some getting used to

me too, but shhh dont say too much or they will call u lemming

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#622 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

@jeezers: ?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#623 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

here is another person let down. kratos voice change sucks. etc... more last of us part2 than god of war 5....

IMO Teal'c (:P) is doing a great job at voicing Kratos.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#624 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

I'm 5 hours in........and the game is fantastic.The game graphics is JAW DROPPING.

The sound and the gameplay are perfect.....and the new combat system is very good.

I can't find words to describe how good the game is .....but God of War on is simply a true masterpiece for the PS4.

Congratulations to SONY and Santa Monica.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#625  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@Pedro said:

There are a lot of interruptions and scripted sequences in the early going. It is very linear, lots of hand holding and tutorial heavy. The game is getting better, but it did not give me a very good first impression.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#626 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@freedomfreak: It’s Christopher Judge. Veteran actor and voice actor. I like him. He’s calm and brings out the maturity of Kratos.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#627 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@Pedro said:

The game play is only second to the likes of Bloodborne or Nioh for this generation.

The sense of satisfaction from combat is on the same level as the games listed above.

Long story short:

God of War gameplay > anything not named BB, Nioh, Bayonetta this gen.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#628 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

Amazing game!!!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

Is it really as good critics and gamers are saying? Guess I'll have to play it myself when I get a PS4 later and try not to spoil myself by watching Lets Plays

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#630  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Is great...wow just wow.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#631 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

You guys got to be kidding I just put 2 hours in and were in the hell is the great stuff. Game sucks so far, I sure how it gets a whole lot better. What's with the graphics can't see shit!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#633  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

I can completely understand why this is upsetting some longtime GoW fans. It really has been thrust into a narrative construct, whereas the first game had you running from A to B constantly fighting enemies, here there are significant down times just walking around catering to story and world building. I find it very similar to TLoU in this respect, in pacing, and in relational dynamics. That said, I adore this approach and applaud Sony and SMS for having the guts to leap out and try something very risky. This is a reinvention that had to happen; it will alienate a lot of fans I have no doubt, but it will grow far more in turn than it loses.

The combat is sublime. There's a tangibility and cohesiveness in encounter design here I've seldom seen accomplished so well in the genre (even in the best on offer). I've always found the old GoW games to be lacking in their hitbox execution. Object A does A's animation, object B does its own, yet both felt like they didn't occupy the same world when in conflict. Blades would simply pass through enemies while they did their generic hit animation cycle. Here, Kratos and the enemies genuinely feel like they're knocking each other around in the same space. Parrying with the shield, aiming and hitting different body parts, and slamming weapons as hard as is possible to devastating effect is satisfying as hell. Combat is intense, helped out by the son's screams that help lay out the battlefield that you can't see all at once due to the brilliant new perspective shift but still need to constantly pay attention to. And Holy Christ, those bosses. Wow. Whoever designed the enemy encounters is earning their pay.

As for the narrative, never in my life did I think I'd be intrigued in learning more about Kratos, previously the definition of a one dimensional character, that before this release I couldn't have cared less for. The writing in this respect I find phenomenal, he's fully fleshed out, and his son is necessary for this. Dad of War it may be, but it works nonetheless. I've only about 5 hours in so far, but this IMO is deserving of all the accolades it has received. And a 9 from GS? If this isn't deserving of a 10, then I don't know what is.

Nicely done Sony.

As for cons, what is with this trend of making text so minuscule and not offering an option to enlarge it? Seriously, don't these designers play their own games? I'm not 20 anymore nor do I have the vision of someone so young.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#635 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

You guys got to be kidding I just put 2 hours in and were in the hell is the great stuff. Game sucks so far, I sure how it gets a whole lot better. What's with the graphics can't see shit!

Don't worry there's nothing wrong with the graphics, IGN already did a breakdown of the XB1X version...

Xbox: "No game awaits!"

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#636 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@MirkoS77: sounds pretty awesome. I'll definitely give it a go at some point

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#637 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I can completely understand why this is upsetting some longtime GoW fans. It really has been thrust into a narrative construct, whereas the first game had you running from A to B constantly fighting enemies, here there are significant down times just walking around catering to story and world building. I find it very similar to TLoU in this respect, in pacing, and in relational dynamics. That said, I adore this approach and applaud Sony and SMS for having the guts to leap out and try something very risky. This is a reinvention that had to happen; it will alienate a lot of fans I have no doubt, but it will grow far more in turn than it loses.

The combat is sublime. There's a tangibility and cohesiveness in encounter design here I've seldom seen accomplished so well in the genre (even in the best on offer). I've always found the old GoW games to be lacking in their hitbox execution. Object A does A's animation, object B does its own, yet both felt like they didn't occupy the same world when in conflict. Blades would simply pass through enemies while they did their generic hit animation cycle. Here, Kratos and the enemies genuinely feel like they're knocking each other around in the same space. Parrying with the shield, aiming and hitting different body parts, and slamming weapons as hard as is possible to devastating effect is satisfying as hell. Combat is intense, helped out by the son's screams that help lay out the battlefield that you can't see all at once due to the brilliant new perspective shift but still need to constantly pay attention to. And Holy Christ, those bosses. Wow. Whoever designed the enemy encounters is earning their pay.

As for the narrative, never in my life did I think I'd be intrigued in learning more about Kratos, previously the definition of a one dimensional character, that before this release I couldn't have cared less for. The writing in this respect I find phenomenal, he's fully fleshed out, and his son is necessary for this. Dad of War it may be, but it works nonetheless. I've only about 5 hours in so far, but this IMO is deserving of all the accolades it has received. And a 9 from GS? If this isn't deserving of a 10, then I don't know what is.

Nicely done Sony.

As for cons, what is with this trend of making text so minuscule and not offering an option to enlarge it? Seriously, don't these designers play their own games? I'm not 20 anymore nor do I have the vision of someone so young.

Well that's all subjective. I never give a 10 to any game. People say "10 doesn't mean perfect!" Then why is it on a 10 point scale? Where is there room for error in that? LOL

I am vastly enjoying this game. Yes, it follows a blue print that I am noticing from Sony big name first party games. Much time is spent on narrative and world building in TLOU, Uncharted 4, GoW and to lesser extent Horizon.

The combat is much more deliberate. Sort of like Souls games, just not anywhere near as punishing imo. I love it.

The game looks fantastic and LOL at people criticizing X1X because of this. It looks great because they have great graphic artists. No matter how powerful your hardware if the artists aren't the tops in the industry on it, it will show. The water is not up to the level of what Rare created in Sea of thieves. It isn't a comparison between the games, there is no basis for comparison imo. But for water? Get over yourselves fanboys, it loses.

I am really enjoying this game. I do see ypur point as a long time GoW fan. But since I do like TLOU and Uncharted 1-3 more than 4, I can handle the long stretches of story telling. This, as Shawn Layden told Greg Miller (SuperCow, not journalist) at PSX last year, is Sony's strength. It simply is. They are a well tuned machine at this. MSFT is not, period.

Thank you!! I thought it was me being 45 almost 46. The text is like the ingredients on a pack of Tic Tacs. WTF?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#638 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

So I am about 2 or 3 hrs in. Beat the first troll boss, just got back to the house. I bought a ps4 pro gow edition for this. I was always going to get a ps4 but was waiting for a must have game. I was not that impressed with the first few hours of the game. I know it will get better but so far seems very average.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#639 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

This game puts my pro into airplane takeoff mode haha. Gotta clean out my pro

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#640  Edited By Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

10+ enough saidd

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#641 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@Advid-Gamer: Basically all you've done is the tutorial.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#642 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

@creepywelps: I know thats why I said I think it will get better. I am a huge God of war fan and I gues Im used to over the top action from the start. The beginning of GOW2 was epic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#643 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

@stereointegrity said:

This game puts my pro into airplane takeoff mode haha. Gotta clean out my pro

Maybe or the older editions of the pro are dated. I got the God of war pro and its silent as hell. Cant even hear it.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#644 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@tgob89 said:
@rrjim1 said:

Don't worry there's nothing wrong with the graphics, IGN already did a breakdown of the XB1X version...

Xbox: "No game awaits!"

Right, IMO the game sucks on my PS4/TV, anyway I started into the mountains well see if it get better. I also hate the trapped in a ring when fighting a boss, very old school!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#645 cainetao11

@Advid-Gamer said:

@creepywelps: I know thats why I said I think it will get better. I am a huge God of war fan and I gues Im used to over the top action from the start. The beginning of GOW2 was epic

Agreed. But this is the new Sony template and only bitch-ass fanboys wont accept what I'm saying. It isn't bad or good, it just is what they are doing with their biggest SP games.

A main issue I have is there are NO trophies for beating the game on higher difficulties. Its basically stating Narrative is primary, gameplay takes a backseat. FAIL, Sony.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#646 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@Advid-Gamer: Shit gets real pretty quickly soon.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#647  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@cainetao11: I dont see it. The way you level up your equipment and skills in this game means that it is extremely open ended when it comes to how you approach the gameplay. I've never been one to give a toss about trophies, though. I'd be happy to turn them off if I could.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#648  Edited By cainetao11

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11: I dont see it. The way you level up your equipment and skills in this game means that it is extremely open ended when it comes to how you approach the gameplay. I've never been one to give a toss about trophies, though. I'd be happy to turn them off if I could.

And there is the rub, folks.

For me? Yes, I expect something for being able to conquer the game at a higher difficulty. Achievements/Trophies aren't new. This is a thing, long established at this point in console gaming. Its a fault imo and no, I am not a trophy/ achievement hunter. But other games have been dinged for putting too many of these rewards in their MP side. You're a cow, so I don't expect ANYTHING to be a negative in this game from you guys or the media. Lets be real here.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#649  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Well I caved and got a Pro for the game, against my better judgement I have to say....but it is just a game that really interests me and I want to play it, simple as that. It's just unfortunate I had to buy a completely new console that does so many similar things to the one I already have so I could play a game. I figured I would get Detroit later on and probably a few others in the console's lifetime here and there, but there is not much else that interests me from their exclusives, and all the multiplatform games I will play on the X anyways.

This God Of War looks amazing to me though, I only played the first game on PS1 or PS2, don't remember exactly on which. I hesitated a lot before making the decision to buy and watched a few hours of the game, and I just felt I wanted to have it, the Protagonist is such a bad ass and the hard-hitting gameplay looks nice. The most annoying thing about all this is finding space for the Pro, it is quite bigger than the X. My gaming setup looks slightly cluttered now. Lots of questions to answer in the setup before I could start playing, it's updating now a little slow but fast enough I guess, 6GB update. But it is OK, no big deal. I already have a nice 4K TV, so that also made the purchase easier.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#650 freedomfreak

Press square to boy.

They actually did it.