Forbes:The Math Behind Xbox Game Pass Versus $70 Sony Games Will Snowball Quickly

• 187 results
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

@Pedro: you still failed to provide evidence people don't replay their games. Take the L already.

He's too busy obsessed over my PC that outperforms his. See how quickly he stopped focusing on you and shady actions and turned his undivided attention to me despite me not even directing a post at him.

I own an island in his head lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#152 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

@Pedro said:
@wandering_halls said:

Dude, you straight up asked me where did anybody criticize me or anybody for buying games. Then I posted a picture of you criticizing people for owning games.....in this freaking thread, lol.

Speaking of ownership, you just got owned, my dude.

And I addressed that issue earlier. That the majority of gamers don't replay their games and if they say they do, they are lying to themselves. You are factually paying for the comfort of knowing your can play the game at a later date. You stated you are not part of that majority.

Holy shit, dude. It doesn't get much more clear cut than below. Just take the you-know-what and move on.

@wandering_halls said:
@Pedro said:

What would I be pissed about? Where did anyone criticize you or anyone for buying games?

You are making and arguing against claims that were never stated.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#153  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

@Pedro: you still failed to provide evidence people don't replay their games. Take the L already.

I provided evidence, you just don't like it. That is all. 😎

@wandering_halls: You took offense to my statement and you went off with the victim card. Not that hard to figure out. 😉

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@Pedro: still no evidence. I want research, hard numbers, facts. All you have is conjecture.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@Pedro said:

@wandering_halls: You took offense to my statement and you went off with the victim card. Not that hard to figure out. 😉

AKA "I just asked for evidence of someone saying something that I myself said in this very thread, but I forgot I said, and now I'm scrambling to get the last word, which is the only thing left to me"

@wandering_halls said:
@Pedro said:

What would I be pissed about? Where did anyone criticize you or anyone for buying games?

You are making and arguing against claims that were never stated.

Lol. Here, I'll throw you a bone, dude. Have your last word. It's all yours. ;)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Pedro

@wandering_halls: I said everything that needed to be said. BTW the last word thing doesn't work on me. 😎

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Pedro

@wonderwinner said:

@Pedro: still no evidence. I want research, hard numbers, facts. All you have is conjecture.

Take it up with your boy Jim Ryan. 😂

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@Pedro: where are the data?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#159 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

@Pedro: well, you don't have numbers Pedro, but I will back you here because previous research has shown like only 10-20% of gamers ever finish the games they start, so by that extension, yeah, how can someone replay a game they didn't finish?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Pedro

@lamprey263 said:

@Pedro: well, you don't have numbers Pedro, but I will back you here because previous research has shown like only 10-20% of gamers ever finish the games they start, so by that extension, yeah, how can someone replay a game they didn't finish?

I had the numbers for game completion a while back for about 20 games. Some people got triggered with the data.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

I'm actually really happy with the direction MS is going with gamepass and so should cows. I mean think about it....Sony is getting pushed hard to make their own subscription service, and no, psnow doesn't really count. It sucks balls, I know because I have it.

A Playstation gamepass would mean ratchet, new uncharted, new tlou, new Spiderman, new horizon zero dawn would be available. The question is whether Sony is willing to do it, no doubt it's a matter of $$ and cents.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#162 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

well if sony does go gamer pass way. big m will make even more money from that.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

I do not for a second believe anyone that says they prefer the way Sony is doing it over the way Microsoft is doing it. The problem with forums like this is it that they are so filled with tribalism and Sony fans are generally the worst. Sony fans will never openly admit any wrong doing by Sony. I just do not believe anyone prefers Sony's strategy of raising game prices and now also having their games on PC, compared to MS's strategy of gamepass with day one releases, a huge library, and if you decide to buy a game you get a discount.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8208 Posts

@wandering_halls said:

Dude, what is going on with this narrative. I mean, GP is fine, if that's your thing. But come on.

In one instance, you own the game.

In the other, you RENT the game.

How can a rental service beat ownership? They are two completely different things.

I get what your saying, but id like to add that owning a game digitally for $70 is a joke. You dont really own shit, you just paid $70 to have access to it as long as its on PSN. You own nothing tangible and cant re-sell it. This is why I prefer physical.

Buy $GME $AMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@sargentd said:
@wandering_halls said:

Dude, what is going on with this narrative. I mean, GP is fine, if that's your thing. But come on.

How can a rental service beat ownership? They are two completely different things.

I get what your saying, but id like to add that owning a game digitally for $70 is a joke. You dont really own shit, you just paid $70 to have access to it as long as its on PSN. You own nothing tangible and cant re-sell it. This is why I prefer physical.

Buy $GME $AMC

No disagreement there, pretty much. I mean, I would probably pay $70 for something I reeeeeeeally want, but only if it was only digital. I prefer physical too.

Then again, with newer stuff (and a bunch of older actually) I pretty much game solely on PC these days, so the only physical games I'm buying are for old consoles. I have yet to get a PS5, could be a while before I do. I got my first rig little over a year ago, have an absurd amount of games already, and don't think I've paid more than ~$40 for any of them, and most I've paid far less.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1392 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I'm actually really happy with the direction MS is going with gamepass and so should cows. I mean think about it....Sony is getting pushed hard to make their own subscription service, and no, psnow doesn't really count. It sucks balls, I know because I have it.

A Playstation gamepass would mean ratchet, new uncharted, new tlou, new Spiderman, new horizon zero dawn would be available. The question is whether Sony is willing to do it, no doubt it's a matter of $$ and cents.

Yeah. What do you think, how will it translate into business? You think all the high paid suits will make significantly less cash? Obviously not when going by the prime example... Microsoft.

cohmiracleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 cohmiracleman
Member since 2005 • 440 Posts

Here is some interesting information. As it turns out, most people do not even finish the game they are playing, let alone go back and play it later. Did you know that only 22% of people that played RDR 2 finished the game? Assassins Creed Odyssey had 24% of people finish that game. Persona 5 34%, Dead Cells 15%. The better performing games were only able to reach half the gamers that played. The newest God of War sits at 53% and Spiderman sits at 50%.

So it is incredibly clear that most gamers do not even finish the games they begin playing. We are trying to argue whether gamers go back to re-play old games? We don't even finish the games we start playing let alone go back and play old games again.

It is just so much more expensive to be buying games. Heck, I can have gamepass, play a game that I fall in love with and buy it. Boom, done. I now forever have that game as long as it's servers are running and I still have gamepass to keep on playing new games without risk of having to ask for a refund or worry about wasting money on.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

Basically Sony is painting themselves in to a corner.

No. I don't think you understand what the phrase means.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#170 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@wandering_halls said:

clearly a guy who has never heard of netflix

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@shadyacshuns said:

Oh, I do pal. They are depending on exclusives and nothing else, so if they put out a bunch of Days Gones and Knacks this gen, guess what? They've painted themselves in to a corner. They're stuck with that choice.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

They should have a free model gamepass. The same thing as regular gamepass but each game has a 1 or 2 hour time limit. If you find a game you like, you can either sub to gamepass or buy the game through MS store. Probably be better financially than giving so many $1 subs or Gold upgrades out.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@CanYouDiglt: I prefer the way Sony does things because their games have more attention to detail. MS is a gen behind TLOU2. Being relegated to Gamepass will keep MS titles with lower production values and built to nickel and dime. We can't ignore the fact that Sony has Plus and Now for people that just want to try things out. Both together are cheaper than Gamepass. As for big budget titles, I don't mind paying so they have max profit for sequels. Devs should be paid for their work. Now have a seat.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@girlusocrazy: "Most of my games I bought on sale and they have gone up in resale price since buying them."

I think that my favourite bs in this thread.😂

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@shadyacshuns: WTF are you taking about?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@wandering_halls said:

Or Amazon or Disney or the many other subscription services that have destroyed the film selling business.

In fact I guess they never heard of going to the cinema either where you watch the film once and own nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@girlusocrazy: You should start hitting dumpsters too. Two weeks ago one of my neighbors threw away a bag full of PS2/3 and 3DS games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@shadyacshuns: "They are depending on exclusives and nothing else"

PS has more multiplats than Xbox.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 shellcase86

@shadyacshuns said:
@shellcase86 said:
@shadyacshuns said:

Oh, I do pal. They are depending on exclusives and nothing else, so if they put out a bunch of Days Gones and Knacks this gen, guess what? They've painted themselves in to a corner. They're stuck with that choice.

They're only stuck with that choice if they don't deepen/invest in PSNow or some other streaming service. Why do you act like that is not an option for Sony?

I could understand your viewpoint if they had to build something from the groundup and not already have a platform.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@palasta said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Yeah. What do you think, how will it translate into business? You think all the high paid suits will make significantly less cash? Obviously not when going by the prime example... Microsoft.

its really a question for the major sony shareholders. Following MS route might hit them in their pockets, hard and may not be something they would want to do. In MS case, their xbox business isn't as large as sonys, and while they will probably lose revenue, there is less of an effect on them by pushing subscription service. MS might even make more money by offering their subscription service as it attracts tens of millions of gamers that wouldn't have ever purchased an xbox or any of their games.

For the math to work for sony, they would have to sell the subscription service to many more gamers than MS would, because they stand to lose that much more by switching. The playstation userbase is maybe 3 times as large as the xbox one. Sony can still take a half measure though, by improving on psnow to some extent. They don't need to go all out against MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#183 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@shellcase86 said:
@shadyacshuns said:

They're only stuck with that choice if they don't deepen/invest in PSNow or some other streaming service. Why do you act like that is not an option for Sony?

I could understand your viewpoint if they had to build something from the groundup and not already have a platform.

Gamepass isn't anything like PS Now.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 shellcase86

@shadyacshuns said:
@shellcase86 said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@shellcase86 said:
@shadyacshuns said:

Gamepass isn't anything like PS Now.

From what I can tell they are more alike than dissimilar, no?

The only thing I see separating the two is Xbox 1st party games are available day one. Aside from that, both offer hundreds of games, no? Games rotate and enter/leave the services on the regular, scheduled basis, yea? You save $$$ when you buy in bulk compared to monthly, correct?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#185 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@shellcase86: The only diff I care about is PS Now games don't run locally on generic computer hardware - you have to stream them unless you are on a PS console.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 shellcase86

@pyro1245 said:

@shellcase86: The only diff I care about is PS Now games don't run locally on generic computer hardware - you have to stream them unless you are on a PS console.

Good to know.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 darkangel115

@tdkmillsy said:
@darkangel115 said:
@wandering_halls said:

Or Amazon or Disney or the many other subscription services that have destroyed the film selling business.

In fact I guess they never heard of going to the cinema either where you watch the film once and own nothing.

Pretty much. I never understood the whole "owning" thing for stuff that depreciates and has almost no value to you when you are done with it. I've never traded in games. I've always just given them away when a new gen came out and I moved on. Who cares about 60 bucks I spent 10 years ago that now has the value of pennies. Plus with a majority of games going the GAAS route you wind up playing the same game for years and years. Only short single player games would have any worth of trading in, but at 70 a game for you to play 10 hours then sell it back for 40, you essentially pay 30 bucks to rent it for 1 month. I use game pass for single player games i may be interested in. if they come good i'll try it, if I like it i'll play it if not I didn't lose anything. I've never paid value for GPU. I've probably spent less then 200 bucks in total for it and i'm good until august 2022 so 3 years. and considering live is 60 a year I paid an extra 20 bucks and get all the MS 1st party games for free plus all the others. i've played well over 200 dollar worth of games already and won't go back to them. Anyone doubting the value is just doing it because they don't like MS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@darkangel115 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@darkangel115 said:
@wandering_halls said:

Pretty much. I never understood the whole "owning" thing for stuff that depreciates and has almost no value to you when you are done with it. I've never traded in games. I've always just given them away when a new gen came out and I moved on. Who cares about 60 bucks I spent 10 years ago that now has the value of pennies. Plus with a majority of games going the GAAS route you wind up playing the same game for years and years. Only short single player games would have any worth of trading in, but at 70 a game for you to play 10 hours then sell it back for 40, you essentially pay 30 bucks to rent it for 1 month. I use game pass for single player games i may be interested in. if they come good i'll try it, if I like it i'll play it if not I didn't lose anything. I've never paid value for GPU. I've probably spent less then 200 bucks in total for it and i'm good until august 2022 so 3 years. and considering live is 60 a year I paid an extra 20 bucks and get all the MS 1st party games for free plus all the others. i've played well over 200 dollar worth of games already and won't go back to them. Anyone doubting the value is just doing it because they don't like MS.

...and then there are those that have no interest in selling, or giving away, and want to own their games for entirely different reasons.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Pedro

@darkangel115 said:

Yep! Game ownership is overrated.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 darkangel115

@wandering_halls said:
@darkangel115 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@darkangel115 said:
@wandering_halls said:

...and then there are those that have no interest in selling, or giving away, and want to own their games for entirely different reasons.

sure if you like to collect and store things you hardly use. to each their own. I'm not a fan of clutter. I'm happy games have gone all digital

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I noticed people seem to equate renting with ownership when it comes to taking about GamePass. It's just not the same thing. I've had games that I've kept for years and the value went above what I paid for.

good for you

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
@daredevils2k said:

what I find funny is how Lemmins are defending MS for taking away games from GamePass.

what's a lemmin?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

@shadyacshuns: "With big multiplats going to GP on day one"

🤣