First Person Shooters... Who wins?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Newnab
Member since 2006 • 3081 Posts
Which one of these will be the best FPS? (I took what I considered to be the most anticipated FPS from each system)

Halo 3

Crysis

Killzone 2

Metroid Prime 3

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I am going with Crysis because it is not a 2 or a 3, but something new.
BigDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 BigDizz
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
You'd have to pick Halo 3 in my mind because it's past games ahve already prooved themselves (o god there should be  a spell check on here)
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Crysis shouldn't be up there yet. It's not a proven formula for success. Halo and Metroid are the only two that should be compared right now (because Killzone wasn't exactly a blockbuster). I'm going with Halo because of my interests (Bungie, Marathon, the lore surrounding the series, etc...). But I would love a Wii so I could play Metroid Prime 3. The first two were excellent :)
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts
Crysis.  None of those other games are even in the same league as far as originality.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
Crysis. Why is Killzone 2 on that list the first was mediocre at best and this one will suffer the same fate.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
I getting all four but look at my avatar go figure...
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
"Metroid on the Wii"? Surely it's not that hard to say Metroid Prime 3?
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Metroid simply because the Wiimote is the best thing since K+M.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Halo 3. Metroid isnt a FPS
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Newnab
"Metroid on the Wii"? Surely it's not that hard to say Metroid Prime 3?
ithilgore2006
I didn't know it's exact name and didn't want to anger Wii fans by getting it wrong. I'll edit it now.
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Newnab
Crysis. Why is Killzone 2 on that list the first was mediocre at best and this one will suffer the same fate.Aljosa23
It's up there because it's the most anticipated PS3 FPS.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
1) Metorid Prime 3: Corruption is NOT a FPS.
2) PC has always been the king of FPS...
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Crysis shouldn't be up there yet. It's not a proven formula for success. Halo and Metroid are the only two that should be compared right now (because Killzone wasn't exactly a blockbuster). I'm going with Halo because of my interests (Bungie, Marathon, the lore surrounding the series, etc...). But I would love a Wii so I could play Metroid Prime 3. The first two were excellent :)

How is it not a proven formula for success? Far Cry wast good? Unlike Bungie, Crytek has shown us gameplay, Crytek has shown us they can do stuff with technology and gameplay, something bungie has yet to do. And MP was boring as hell, for a shooter.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Crysis. Why is Killzone 2 on that list the first was mediocre at best and this one will suffer the same fate.Newnab

And Killzone had some good things for it, it really was limited by the ps2.
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Crysis. Why is Killzone 2 on that list the first was mediocre at best and this one will suffer the same fate.Newnab

which is quite funny :lol: !
Cassius128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cassius128
Member since 2005 • 2670 Posts
Quake wars: ET.
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Newnab
Crysis. None of those other games are even in the same league as far as originality.Hexum-311
No offense... But Crysis doesn't look terribly original to me. At all. It looks like Far Cry with very mild Crackdown-ish powers or Deus Ex: Invisible War powers. I'm not saying that's exactly what it's going to be, but from all we know about the games so far, I don't think it's fair to say Crysis is in a different league in terms of original ideas for FPS.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 musicalmac  Moderator
foxhound_fox
Saying computers rule the FPS world is a bit misleading... The controls are better (I agree, played FPS games all the time on my comp).
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts
Nintendo itself doesn't even consider the Metroid Prime series to be FPS's... Besides, the previous two gamers have been pathetic as shooters (see: the game's shooting is based on autoaim). They really are adventure games. I'd say Halo 3 has most entertaining game in the bag, Crysis has best looking, and Killzone has most underwhelming and overhyped.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Crysis shouldn't be up there yet. It's not a proven formula for success. Halo and Metroid are the only two that should be compared right now (because Killzone wasn't exactly a blockbuster). I'm going with Halo because of my interests (Bungie, Marathon, the lore surrounding the series, etc...). But I would love a Wii so I could play Metroid Prime 3. The first two were excellent :)coolguy1111
How is it not a proven formula for success? Far Cry wast good? Unlike Bungie, Crytek has shown us gameplay, Crytek has shown us they can do stuff with technology and gameplay, something bungie has yet to do. And MP was boring as hell, for a shooter.

Halo's MP was boring? Ok...

Anyway, Im going to have to go with Halo 3. With Crysis coming in a close second. The only reason Crysis is second is because it has not proved itself yet.

coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 coolguy1111

[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Crysis shouldn't be up there yet. It's not a proven formula for success. Halo and Metroid are the only two that should be compared right now (because Killzone wasn't exactly a blockbuster). I'm going with Halo because of my interests (Bungie, Marathon, the lore surrounding the series, etc...). But I would love a Wii so I could play Metroid Prime 3. The first two were excellent :)TaCoDuDe

Halo's MP was boring? Ok...

Anyway, Im going to have to go with Halo 3. With Crysis coming in a close second. The only reason Crysis is second is because it has not proved itself yet.

No metroid prime was boring.
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Newnab
Perhaps also, someone would care to explain to me... How is a first person game where you shoot stuff not a First Person Shooter? Maybe I've made some terrible error of judgment, but I'd like to have that explained to me...
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="Newnab"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Crysis. Why is Killzone 2 on that list the first was mediocre at best and this one will suffer the same fate.Prid3r

How? How do you know the game will be good? I find it funny lemmings think Halo2s multiplayer was awesome.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spartan070
foxhound_fox
We aren't comparing the PC FPS library with the console FPS library, we're comparing 4 games. If you mean Crysis, just say so.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="Newnab"]Perhaps also, someone would care to explain to me... How is a first person game where you shoot stuff not a First Person Shooter? Maybe I've made some terrible error of judgment, but I'd like to have that explained to me...

Its a bad fps, so sheep try to cover it up and say its an adventure game.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

The most popular-Halo 3

The best looking-Crysis

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]Crysis shouldn't be up there yet. It's not a proven formula for success. Halo and Metroid are the only two that should be compared right now (because Killzone wasn't exactly a blockbuster). I'm going with Halo because of my interests (Bungie, Marathon, the lore surrounding the series, etc...). But I would love a Wii so I could play Metroid Prime 3. The first two were excellent :)

Everything you just said was opinion. We don't know how good Crysis will be. Bungie has done more for the FPS genre than Crytek, by leaps and bounds. How long has Crytek been around? When did they release their first game? Crysis is not proven.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="Hexum-311"]Crysis. None of those other games are even in the same league as far as originality.Newnab
No offense... But Crysis doesn't look terribly original to me. At all. It looks like Far Cry with very mild Crackdown-ish powers or Deus Ex: Invisible War powers. I'm not saying that's exactly what it's going to be, but from all we know about the games so far, I don't think it's fair to say Crysis is in a different league in terms of original ideas for FPS.

Deus Ex Invisible War was horrible. Anyway Crysis is in a different league in terms of ideas when compared to these games because it is a new universe.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Metroid Prime 3 shouldn't be up there.It's a FPA,not a FPS.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AfterShafter
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"] How is it not a proven formula for success? Far Cry wast good? Unlike Bungie, Crytek has shown us gameplay, Crytek has shown us they can do stuff with technology and gameplay, something bungie has yet to do. And MP was boring as hell, for a shooter.

Did you use the Halo disks as coasters or something? They actually do play a very fun FPSs when you stick them in your XBOX...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
[QUOTE="Newnab"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Crysis. Why is Killzone 2 on that list the first was mediocre at best and this one will suffer the same fate.Prid3r

Well atleast our Bioshock has some competition :P
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 web966
[QUOTE="Newnab"]Perhaps also, someone would care to explain to me... How is a first person game where you shoot stuff not a First Person Shooter? Maybe I've made some terrible error of judgment, but I'd like to have that explained to me...

Because the focus is on exploration and not shooting.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="Newnab"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Crysis. Why is Killzone 2 on that list the first was mediocre at best and this one will suffer the same fate.coolguy1111

How? How do you know the game will be good? I find it funny lemmings think Halo2s multiplayer was awesome.

It must be awesome. It got millions of people to pay $50/year for XBL.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
foxhound_fox
true, but it does use FPS controls. and yeah, PC wins.
BigDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 BigDizz
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
[QUOTE="Newnab"]Perhaps also, someone would care to explain to me... How is a first person game where you shoot stuff not a First Person Shooter? Maybe I've made some terrible error of judgment, but I'd like to have that explained to me... coolguy1111

lol
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#37 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
Crysis, because it's something new and definitely the best looking out of the 4. Halo 3 in a close second because Halo and Halo 2 have proven to be fun multiplayer games. Then Metroid for its past amazing puzzles. Finally, Killzone 2 because there's virtually no info on it.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]1) Metorid Prime 3: Corruption is NOT a FPS.
Spartan070
We aren't comparing the PC FPS library with the console FPS library, we're comparing 4 games. If you mean Crysis, just say so.

We are comparing first person shooters and a lot of people here say that MP is not a FPS.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 web966
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Newnab"]Perhaps also, someone would care to explain to me... How is a first person game where you shoot stuff not a First Person Shooter? Maybe I've made some terrible error of judgment, but I'd like to have that explained to me...

9.7, GOTY. Yeah, its a really bad game. :roll:
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Newnab
[QUOTE="Newnab"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"]Crysis. None of those other games are even in the same league as far as originality.smokeydabear076

Deus Ex Invisible War was horrible. Anyway Crysis is in a different league in terms of ideas when compared to these games because it is a new universe.

It's fair to say that you're most interested in it because it's a new universe, but I personally felt to brand all the other three as way below it in terms of original FPS ideas (Which is how I took the statement, perhaps it's an error of mine) was unjust.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="AfterShafter"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"] How is it not a proven formula for success? Far Cry wast good? Unlike Bungie, Crytek has shown us gameplay, Crytek has shown us they can do stuff with technology and gameplay, something bungie has yet to do. And MP was boring as hell, for a shooter.

Did you use the Halo disks as coasters or something? They actually do play a very fun FPSs when you stick them in your XBOX...

So youll be fine if Halo3 is the smae as Halo1 and 2?
AlbertE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AlbertE-
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexum-311"]Crysis. None of those other games are even in the same league as far as originality.Newnab

Yeah, and the Halo series is just full of originality. :roll:

Anyway, Crysis.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="web966"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="Newnab"]Perhaps also, someone would care to explain to me... How is a first person game where you shoot stuff not a First Person Shooter? Maybe I've made some terrible error of judgment, but I'd like to have that explained to me...

9.7, GOTY. Yeah, its a really bad game. :roll:

Its a abd FPS. And yea any half decent game will get a 9.7 on the gamecube :lol:
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Newnab
Lets just get this straight, also. Metroid Prime is a first person game. You shoot things. It is a first person shooter. It has adventure game elements no doubt, and perhaps is even a hybrid genre of FPS/Adventure. But it IS a first person game, you DO shoot things, and therefore fully classifies as a first person shooter.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AfterShafter
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="AfterShafter"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"] How is it not a proven formula for success? Far Cry wast good? Unlike Bungie, Crytek has shown us gameplay, Crytek has shown us they can do stuff with technology and gameplay, something bungie has yet to do. And MP was boring as hell, for a shooter.

I'll be fine if I have as much fun with 3 as I have had with 1 and 2... And that was a lot. I expect the series to change a bit, but I don't expect them to reinvent the wheel, or fix what ain't broken.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spartan070
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"][QUOTE="AfterShafter"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"] How is it not a proven formula for success? Far Cry wast good? Unlike Bungie, Crytek has shown us gameplay, Crytek has shown us they can do stuff with technology and gameplay, something bungie has yet to do. And MP was boring as hell, for a shooter.

Actually yes, I'd be fine with different or the same. I trust Bungies decisions.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 musicalmac  Moderator

You have yet to make any sort of worth-while point.
[QUOTE="Newnab"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"]Crysis. None of those other games are even in the same league as far as originality.AlbertE-

Yeah, and the Halo series is just full of originality. :roll:

Anyway, Crysis.

And does Originality = AAA? Execution is what really matters. Gears of War isn't the most original game, but the mechanics made it enjoyable to the last drop. Halo has proven mechanics, and a huge storyline (...huge). We haven't seen either of those from Crysis, because it's not been released to prove itself yet.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AfterShafter
[QUOTE="Newnab"]Lets just get this straight, also. Metroid Prime is a first person game. You shoot things. It is a first person shooter. It has adventure game elements no doubt, and perhaps is even a hybrid genre of FPS/Adventure. But it IS a first person game, you DO shoot things, and therefore fully classifies as a first person shooter.

You know, by the standard you just gave, Oblivion and Morrowind are FPS's. Why not throw Oblivion into the mix? It's really good too :p
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Metroid Prime 3, thanks to motion sensing.