Drickmann, The Last of Us Part 2 Won’t Avoid ‘Personal Politics’. SW, are you okay with this?

• 183 results
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Maroxad: Can you think of any game where you have two worthless boss battles where no matter what you do the results are the same? And i do care for UC4 hence the reason im mentioning it. It overall was a great game but im simply naming a perfect example where an agenda actually negatively effected gameplay. Dont make your boss a black female if you dont have the balls to show her getting punched by a white man. It would be like Crystal Dynamics making Laura Croft bullet proof.

Suikoden 2?

In fact, what you are talking about is a pretty common trope in gaming, especially in RPGs. Hopeless Boss Fight.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152  Edited By mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

@Maroxad: Can you think of any game where you have two worthless boss battles where no matter what you do the results are the same? And i do care for UC4 hence the reason im mentioning it. It overall was a great game but im simply naming a perfect example where an agenda actually negatively effected gameplay. Dont make your boss a black female if you dont have the balls to show her getting punched by a white man. It would be like Crystal Dynamics making Laura Croft bullet proof.

Suikoden 2?

In fact, what you are talking about is a pretty common trope in gaming, especially in RPGs. Hopeless Boss Fight.

In Suikoden 2, those boss battles were based purely on progressing the story and not some agenda that the writer had though.
I will say that the entire setting and events of Suikoden 2 are much more captivating.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@Maroxad: Except in JRPGS you eventually progress to the point where you can defeat them and ultimately the villan loses.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Maroxad

@mazuiface said:
@Maroxad said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

Suikoden 2?

In Suikoden 2, those boss battles were based purely on progressing the story and not some agenda that the writer had though.

I will say that the entire setting and events of Suikoden 2 are much more captivating.

Pretty sure those boss battles were about progressing the story too. Namely by setting up adversary for Drake.

Do you have any compelling evidence those battles were done for the sake of pushing some agenda?

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@Zuluking187 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

gamers - video games are art

gamers - no no no no don't express your politics in your creations

dumbest fanbase of anything ever.

It ever occur to you that the people who say either of those things don't say both?

Video games aren't art btw.

Actually I have seen a few do maintain both positions. Sometimes even do both in the same breath...

Video game with politics they agree with: Video Games are art

Video games with politics they dont agree with: Muh artistic integrity ruined. Pandering to [insert audience I dont like here]

So people like that should just shut up ? there is nothing wrong with expressing both those feelings/views if it's clearly forced/shoehorned from creators. I find issue with forced diversity in any type of entertainment or art, you can express your personal views as a creator without being a dick about it, without insulting a large demographic or without belittling their views of the world.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Maroxad

@HAZE-Unit said:
@Maroxad said:
@Zuluking187 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

gamers - video games are art

gamers - no no no no don't express your politics in your creations

dumbest fanbase of anything ever.

It ever occur to you that the people who say either of those things don't say both?

Video games aren't art btw.

Actually I have seen a few do maintain both positions. Sometimes even do both in the same breath...

Video game with politics they agree with: Video Games are art

Video games with politics they dont agree with: Muh artistic integrity ruined. Pandering to [insert audience I dont like here]

So people like that should just shut up ? there is nothing wrong with expressing both those feelings/views if it's clearly forced/shoehorned from creators. I find issue with forced diversity in any type of entertainment or art, you can express your personal views as a creator without being a dick about it, without insulting a large demographic or without belittling their views of the world.

No, what I am saying is that people have immense double standards and massive hypocrisy.

In other words, they are a bunch of frauds.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#157  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19553 Posts
@Quicksilver128 said:

@Maroxad: Can you think of any game where you have two worthless boss battles where no matter what you do the results are the same?

MGS2 comes to mind. Both the male protagonists, Raiden and Snake, got their arses handed to them by a black woman, Fortune. Not unlike what happened in UC4. Yet I don't remember MGS fans freaking out over Fortune... but then again, many fans were too busy bashing Raiden for looking "gay" or "feminine".

Furthermore, the whole plot of MGS2 basically had Raiden come out the loser, no matter what you did in the gameplay. There was no real sense of triumph. And that made MGS2 all the better for it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I don't recall any overt politics being thrown around. Can someone refresh my memory?

I didn't play TLOU more than 1 hour because I thought the game was boring AF.

But let me take a stab at it.

The little kid becomes a lesbian at the end of TLOU. Essentially it's one big "coming out" story. The subject of sexuality and how one's sexuality develops (i.e. nature vs nurture) is considered a matter of personal politics. Some people have rigid views that sexuality is determined at birth, some people have views that it's a choice, and others think it's a combination of the two. Considering that this is, like I said, a "coming out" story, it results in commentary on a subject that some people will disagree with.

An example of what they could do in TLOU 2 for example, is have the game's climax be a graphic self-abortion scene, preaching the message that abortion clinics are good, and it wouldn't be too dissimilar from what they did with TLOU 1.

Each game could preach its own liberal message, easy way to praised as a masterpiece.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@mazuiface said:
@Maroxad said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

Suikoden 2?

Pretty sure those boss battles were about progressing the story too. Namely by setting up adversary for Drake.

Do you have any compelling evidence those battles were done for the sake of pushing some agenda?

To be fair, I don't, really. I was only weighing in on the fact that Drickmann admitted, so to speak, that people will take some s*** offensive in TLoU2. . These days, certain social layers' feelings tend to get in the way of them interpreting art for what it is - usually cozy upper middle class types. I usually try to put everything in its historical context, and I'm assuming you do too! -- especially seeing your reference to Suikoden 2.

I was only providing the Suikoden 2 analysis as an extension of you bringing up that game's unbeatable battles. That game may be a only a little step forward in terms of gameplay from the previous iteration, but it has such a compelling story line as all of them do!

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Quicksilver128

@Jag85: Yet the battle with fortune wasnt a worthless boss battle. It ended in a stalemate as opposed to you getting owned. And unlike UC4 they actually explain how shes unstoppable. She had technology that deflected all bullets and once she lost that she got wrecked by Ocelot.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Maroxad

@mazuiface said:
@Maroxad said:
@mazuiface said:
@Maroxad said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

Suikoden 2?

To be fair, I don't, really. I was only weighing in on the fact that Drickmann admitted, so to speak, that people will take some s*** offensive in TLoU2. . These days, certain social layers' feelings tend to get in the way of them interpreting art for what it is - usually cozy upper middle class types. I usually try to put everything in its historical context, and I'm assuming you do too! -- especially seeing your reference to Suikoden 2.

I was only providing the Suikoden 2 analysis as an extension of you bringing up that game's unbeatable battles. That game may be a only a little step forward in terms of gameplay from the previous iteration, but it has such a compelling story line as all of them do!

Yeah Suikoden 2 has a fairly decent storyline.

That is why I brought it up. Bringing up a game with a trashy storyline wouldnt have done my argument any favors now, would it? ;)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Jag85

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Jag85: Yet the battle with fortune wasnt a worthless boss battle. It ended in a stalemate as opposed to you getting owned. And unlike UC4 they actually explain how shes unstoppable. She had technology that deflected all bullets and once she lost that she got wrecked by Ocelot.

Likewise, Nadine was eventually defeated when Sam pulled a gun on her. So she wasn't unstoppable. She was only beating them in unarmed combat, because she's a trained martial artist and they aren't.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#163 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's liberal garbage

There is no defense to it.

It's going to be just as anti-American as the other garbage out there

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
@Jag85 said:

You've just contradicted yourself:

You still didn't account for the extra 1% from your numbers.

You still didn't account for how it translates to videogame audiences.

Hey look, i can ignore your arguments too!

@Maroxad said:

I thought I wouldnt have to explain the follow ups because that could have been taken for granted.

31% team blue <-Majority

30% team green <-Minority

20% team yellow <-Minority

19% team red <-Minority

This is not a contest or a vote, my friend.

It's about the prevalent demographics.

And since white males and white females are two most prevalent ones, especially since they're neck-in-neck in numbers, neither of them is a minority.

When you have to combine the remaining demographics to put them up as a comparable number to a supposed "minority", that's when you know it's not a minority.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Quicksilver128

@Jag85: defeated? You couldn't touch the bitch. Not to mention she got away.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Maroxad

@R10nu said:

This is not a contest or a vote, my friend.

It's about the prevalent demographics.

And since white males and white females are two most prevalent ones, especially since they're neck-in-neck in numbers, neither of them is a minority.

When you have to combine the remaining demographics to put them up as a comparable number to a supposed "minority", that's when you know it's not a minority.

The same logic applies.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

It's liberal garbage

There is no defense to it.

It's going to be just as anti-American as the other garbage out there

How is a video game liberal? Its just entertainment man.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#168 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I literally have no idea what was political about TLOU (especially the end) and I don't really know what 'personal politics' is supposed to mean either :S

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Maroxad

You still didn't account for the extra 1% from your numbers.

He doesnt need to. Since I already explained it. But I put the explanation in an edit. So if you missed it, I dont blame you.

I will redo the maths lesson for you, but I will word it better.

The most likely reason for that extra 1% came from rounding. Try adding up the percentages 30.6%+31.6%+19%+18.8%. You will get 100%. Now try again, this time round those 4 percentages to the 2 most significant figures. And you will get 101%. Class dismissed.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#170 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Unless the game is SJW Feminist propaganda where the main character hates all white men, I'm OK with it.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By R10nu

@Maroxad said:

The same logic applies.

Says who?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Maroxad

@R10nu said:
@Maroxad said:

The same logic applies.

Says who?

Mr. Consistency.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 672 Posts

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Jag85: The issue with Nathan Drake being beat up by a woman was because it was such a pathetic attempt at pandering that it became painfully obvious. It was really the only problem i had with the game. It wasn't that the boss was a black woman that was the issue it was the fact that despite making her a villian they didn't have the balls to show her lose. Even the boss battles were pointless because no matter what you do you still lose, you cant even land a punch on her.

If they want to make her a bad ass villian thats one thing but they have to understand bad ass villians eventually get beat by the hero. And thats not something they were willing to show.

Nadine lost the second fight as Sam got the gun. She was never a boss anyway just an amusing distraction driving on the plot. It was just an interactive cut scene not a boss fight.

I am hoping that she will be the Easy Mode on Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@flyincloud1116:

What were his political views in the game?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#175 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@lrdfancypants said:

@flyincloud1116:

What were his political views in the game?

Honestly, I do not know.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 lrdfancypants

@flyincloud1116:

Yeah, I love the game but didn't notice anything unusual.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Flyincloud1116

@lrdfancypants said:

@flyincloud1116:

Yeah, I love the game but didn't notice anything unusual.

Hey, do not shoot the messenger.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 lrdfancypants

@flyincloud1116:

Lol, I'm not :). I just genuinely didn't know what they were referring to.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Flyincloud1116

@lrdfancypants said:

@flyincloud1116:

Lol, I'm not :). I just genuinely didn't know what they were referring to.

Pizza? Or maybe the LBMQRTD stuff in the DLC? We'll never know.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 lrdfancypants

@flyincloud1116:

I guess the DLC. I liked the DLC though and I usually do not.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#181 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

It's funny that gaming is be criticized for being too "liberal" when the artist that construct all of the visuals and the story are from the liberal schools of thought.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Jag85

@Pedro said:

It's funny that gaming is be criticized for being too "liberal" when the artist that construct all of the visuals and the story are from the liberal schools of thought.

Shouldn't be too surprising, since the game industry draws most of its talent from colleges and universities... which conservatives often view as part of a "liberal brainwashing" conspiracy.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 R10nu
@Maroxad said:

Mr. Consistency.

Mr. Context strongly disagrees.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Maroxad

@R10nu said:
@Maroxad said:

Mr. Consistency.

Mr. Context strongly disagrees.

There is no reason the context would differ in the terminology. Since both refer to the smaller demographic or part.

Therefore, I am pretty sure Mr. Context would agree with me as well.

Edit: Under the context that the term majority and minority was used, it was pretty clear, the guy was referring to relative majority.