Drickmann, The Last of Us Part 2 Won’t Avoid ‘Personal Politics’. SW, are you okay with this?

• 183 results
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#101 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@Zuluking187: hmmm I mean as long as we are running with the notion that video games aren't a good story telling medium to boot; then I guess no harm no foul.

Though I think it is short sighted to limit the mediums creative potential by not letting the creators express themselves on how they feel about different subject matters.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

If someone is getting that worked up over the politics of a video game, methinks they may need to reevaluate their priorities.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

I sense liberal bullshit on the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Was there even a political tone in the first game?

I've only noticed an emotional one at it's core.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1613 Posts

I like how the reason GS gave it a lower review score is because the reviewer did not like Joel in the ending. What a testament to the art form of Drickmann's game. Even if you don't like the character's personality and choices in the game, the fact that it can elicit strong emotions from people means it is damn good art.

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts
@Quicksilver128 said:

I since liberal bullshit on the way.

*Sense

Holy **** learn to spell.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@Zuluking187 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

gamers - video games are art

gamers - no no no no don't express your politics in your creations

dumbest fanbase of anything ever.

It ever occur to you that the people who say either of those things don't say both?

Video games aren't art btw.

Actually I have seen a few do maintain both positions. Sometimes even do both in the same breath...

Video game with politics they agree with: Video Games are art
Video games with politics they dont agree with: Muh artistic integrity ruined. Pandering to [insert audience I dont like here]

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#108 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

As long as it's not trying too hard to be edgy and everything is well balanced and executed well, I don't have any problem with it. Looking forward to seeing more about this game.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Majority (Noun): The Greater Number.

32>31 Guess which is the lesser number here.

majority

the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority )

grasping at straws

Fig. to depend on something that is useless; to make a futile attempt at something.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#110 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur said:

*animu girl in video game is made 10% less lewd*

Gamers: OMG, CENSORSHIP CENSORSHIP SJW SJW! ARTISTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT!

*dev/writer wants to insert personal politics and beliefs into their game*

Gamers: OMG PANDERING PANDERING SJW SJW! THEY SHOULD BE INSERTING THEIR POLITICS INTO GAMES!

Fucking right?

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Quicksilver128

@jagoff: Thanks spell police i didn't mean to trigger you. Should have checked the auto txt from the mobile.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Quicksilver128

@Jag85: I think you need to factor in the audience thats actually buying the game. When TloU 2 doesn't sell anywhere near what the original sold we will all know why.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#113  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@DJ-Lafleur said:

Gamers: OMG, CENSORSHIP CENSORSHIP SJW SJW! ARTISTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT!

Gamers: OMG PANDERING PANDERING SJW SJW! THEY SHOULD BE INSERTING THEIR POLITICS INTO GAMES!

Fucking right?

Because of a tweet?

Where ever I go gamers seem to be fine with politics in games. Even on SW, in this thread.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Quicksilver128

@Jag85: The issue with Nathan Drake being beat up by a woman was because it was such a pathetic attempt at pandering that it became painfully obvious. It was really the only problem i had with the game. It wasn't that the boss was a black woman that was the issue it was the fact that despite making her a villian they didn't have the balls to show her lose. Even the boss battles were pointless because no matter what you do you still lose, you cant even land a punch on her.

If they want to make her a bad ass villian thats one thing but they have to understand bad ass villians eventually get beat by the hero. And thats not something they were willing to show.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#115 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@DJ-Lafleur said:

Fucking right?

Because of a tweet?

Where ever I go gamers seem to be fine with politics in games. Even on SW, in this thread.

Yep. Seems to be bloating up a strawman out of proportion for no reason. Which is exactly why people get defensive.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Jag85: I think you need to factor in the audience thats actually buying the game. When TloU 2 doesn't sell anywhere near what the original sold we will all know why.

So if it doesn't sell it's due to political views? You realise how stupid that sounds? Correlation doesn't equal causation even if it's for a completely hypothetical scenario.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#117 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58401 Posts

I think it is great to have artist and creators express their thoughts and views in their work. That's why they do their work! I don't want to some pop-garbage that was product-tested because some dipshit in a suit that doesn't even play games thinks I might like it because it's "cool".

With that said, I expect plenty of people to hate on it, saying the devs should "not express their opinions in video games" while at the same time appreciating how their commander-in-chief expresses his.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

I greatly prefer this to Ubisoft's bullshit disclaimers that "we're a multicultural team and this game doesn't represent our views in any way".

There's nothing worse than artists being afraid to express their views.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Quicksilver128

@soulitane: Not necessarily its political views as much as the fact that playing most the game as Ellie will hurt its sales. Call it stupid all you want it is what it is.

It's political views depending on what they are ( im guessing some right wing politicians lack of concern for the environment causes the outbreak lmao). Does have the ability to alienate fans.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Quicksilver128

@Planeforger: Oh theres plenty worse actually, like turning a video game into a political lesson.

This is the problem with the delusional left. Their reasoning is simple, they just want to be heard. They want people to be aware of the issues and let people know where they stand and in that lies the problem.

Everybody knows how they feel. The vast majority of the main stream media leans left. The vast majority of Hollywood also leans left. So as if reporting the news from one perspective wasn't enough they want you to see it in your movies,music, comic books and now video games. So it takes people in the center and pushes them toward the right because you have a left wing agenda shoved in your face at all times. Even with something as simple as a fucking video game which its purpose is to entertain its turned into a political lesson to educate fans.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#121  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19588 Posts

@R10nu said:
@Jag85 said:

In America, white males are a minority, constituting 31% of the population.

Oh snap, that statement falls apart under scrutiny

The statement is factually correct. White females are 32%. White males are 31%. White males are therefore a minority. Simple logic.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 soulitane

@Quicksilver128 said:

@soulitane: Not necessarily its political views as much as the fact that playing most the game as Ellie will hurt its sales. Call it stupid all you want it is what it is.

It's political views depending on what they are ( im guessing some right wing politicians lack of concern for the environment causes the outbreak lmao). Does have the ability to alienate fans.

Nothing of what you said changes anything of what I said. Correlation doesn't equal causation. Unless you can prove any of those things cause these hypothetical low sales, it's a pointless argument.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Jag85

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Jag85: The issue with Nathan Drake being beat up by a woman was because it was such a pathetic attempt at pandering that it became painfully obvious. It was really the only problem i had with the game. It wasn't that the boss was a black woman that was the issue it was the fact that despite making her a villian they didn't have the balls to show her lose. Even the boss battles were pointless because no matter what you do you still lose, you cant even land a punch on her.

If they want to make her a bad ass villian thats one thing but they have to understand bad ass villians eventually get beat by the hero. And thats not something they were willing to show.

He's an untrained brawler. She's a trained martial artist. You can't expect an untrained brawler to beat a trained martial artist.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Maroxad

@R10nu said:
@Maroxad said:

majority

the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority )

grasping at straws

Fig. to depend on something that is useless; to make a futile attempt at something.

I like how you conveniently ignored the first part of the definition you provided. The second part looked at its implementation in a binary case. In a situation with more than 2 subsets, the majority becomes whoever has the most in the group.

His point still stands. He specifically stated white males. Which are not the largest group in america. Just admit you made a mistake and move on.

Edit: And if you think that the white male criteria is grasping for straws. Had you asked me 2 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But following the "where is my white male" whining in regards to Star Wars: The Force Awakens... yeah. With whites being underrepresented in the film... because it is not enough for Ray to be white, she must also be male. Chances are, what Jag is doing is taking a jab at the people with this kind of mentality.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Quicksilver128

@Jag85: Maybe not but you can expect him to at least land a punch and not make the boss battles completely worthless. Especially when Sam joins in, its amazing how all of a sudden you cant counter in UC4 anymore. Again if you want to make your boss more diverse at least have the character adhere to the rules of being a boss as opposed to some unstoppable being brought in for QTE cutscenes. Also being a trained martial artist isnt going to allow you to take a sucker punch off the roof from 15 feet in the air and just get up like nothing hit you.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

If one's personal politics helps in making it a better game, I value it. If a developer is just using a game as a platform to be able to shove their voice out there and it really has nothing to do what's going on, they can keep it to themselves.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Quicksilver128

@soulitane: I can't prove anything untill the games released and neither can you. If you want to wager it will sell wore then the first one i will gladly do so.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Jag85

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Jag85: Maybe not but you can expect him to at least land a punch and not make the boss battles completely worthless. Especially when Sam joins in, its amazing how all of a sudden you cant counter in UC4 anymore. Again if you want to make your boss more diverse at least have the character adhere to the rules of being a boss as opposed to some unstoppable being brought in for QTE cutscenes. Also being a trained martial artist isnt going to allow you to take a sucker punch off the roof from 15 feet in the air and just get up like nothing hit you.

That's nowhere near as unrealistic as Nate taking on a whole army by himself.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 soulitane

@Quicksilver128 said:

@soulitane: I can't prove anything untill the games released and neither can you. If you want to wager it will sell wore then the first one i will gladly do so.

What would be the point? Even if it sells less, you won't be able to back up what you said since it selling less doesn't mean it's due to politics. So unless you can somehow come up with an actually logical way to prove your point, there's no reason to make a bet. Even if you do, bets on a forum are utterly pointless.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 soulitane

@Jag85 said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

Or Nate running and climbing after being shot. Nate surviving in the desert for days on end with no food or water and then running and jumping. There are numerous examples of the games not being realistic.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ShadowsDemon

@Planeforger said:

I greatly prefer this to Ubisoft's bullshit disclaimers that "we're a multicultural team and this game doesn't represent our views in any way".

When did Ubisoft say this and in regard to what game?

Not arguing with you - just curious as to if this became an issue at any point.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Maroxad
@soulitane said:
@Jag85 said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

Or Nate running and climbing after being shot. Nate surviving in the desert for days on end with no food or water and then running and jumping. There are numerous examples of the games not being realistic.

Yeah, or hell some of the nonhuman enemies.

Uncharted was always meant to be fantastical adventures. But alas these right wing SJWs (same bullshit, different rationalization) will always look for reasons to get offended.

@ShadowsDemon said:
@Planeforger said:

I recall one of the assassin's creed games saying as much.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ShadowsDemon

@Maroxad said:

@ShadowsDemon said:
@Planeforger said:

I recall one of the assassin's creed games saying as much.

Yes, but in what way and why, and what was the context?

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By R10nu
@Jag85 said:

White females are 32%. White males are 31%. White males are therefore a minority. Simple logic.

They're both majority, you dunce.

You still didn't account for the extra 1% from your numbers.

You still didn't account for how it translates to videogame audiences.

@Maroxad said:
He specifically stated white males. Which are not the largest group in america.

Yeah, they're simply the second largest out of 4 presented, 1 (dubious) percent short of the first one.

Which means they're not a minority. Just like white women were never a minority at any point, even when white males were statistically a larger group.

Newsflash: the world doesn't work in absolutes and there can be multiple majorities.

@Maroxad said:

Edit: And if you think that the white male criteria is grasping for straws. Had you asked me 2 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But following the "where is my white male" whining in regards to Star Wars: The Force Awakens... yeah. With whites being underrepresented in the film... because it is not enough for Ray to be white, she must also be male. Chances are, what Jag is doing is taking a jab at the people with this kind of mentality.

What the **** are you even talking about? The problem with Ray is her being a fucking Mary Sue, not her gender or race. People sure love to discredit such criticisms with "u mad cuz she's not a white male".

Kylo also deservingly gets tons of shit, but no one jumps to his defence. But i digress.

Jag doesn't take a jab at anything, he parrots talking points from a website he appearantly reads, which incidently provides bogus statistics.

EDIT:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Assassin's Creed series.

It's mostly about them taking creative liberties with historical figures.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Sure, I'm perfectly fine with it..

....not that I would play that shit anyway.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Maroxad

@R10nu said:
@Jag85 said:

White females are 32%. White males are 31%. White males are therefore a minority. Simple logic.

You still didn't account for the extra 1% from your numbers.

You still didn't account for how it translates to videogame audiences.

@Maroxad said:
He specifically stated white males. Which are not the largest group in america.

Yeah, they're simply the second largest out of 4 presented, 1 (dubious) percent short of the first one.

Which means they're not a minority. Just like white women were never a minority at any point, even when white males were statistically a larger group.

Newsflash: the world doesn't work in absolutes and there can be multiple majorities.

@Maroxad said:

What the **** are you even talking about? The problem with Ray is her being a fucking Mary Sue, not her gender or race. People sure love to discredit such criticisms with "u mad cuz she's not a white male".

Kylo also deservingly gets tons of shit, but no one jumps to his defence. But i digress.

Jag doesn't take a jab at anything, he parrots talking points from a website he appearantly reads, which incidently provides bogus statistics.

You may want to learn what the minority means. Basically, it means any group that isnt the largest. You will see the difference in terminology quite often if you live in a country which does not employ a 2 party system. Even if the second party loses by 1%, they are still classified as a minority whereas the majority is the one that won by 1%.

That is the legimate criticism of of Ray. But oh boy there is more. There are ACTUAL people who disliked and boycotted the movie due to lack of white men as protagonists. Hell, there were a few on OT on this very site. There is a chance some of them were being Poes (no pun intended), but these clowns do exist. People making mountains out of molehills must be called out on every side, no matter who they are or whether or not you agree with them.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 R10nu

@Maroxad said:

You may want to learn what the minority means. Basically, it means any group that isnt the largest. You will see the difference in terminology quite often if you live in a country which does not employ a 2 party system. Even if the second party loses by 1%, they are still classified as a minority whereas the majority is the one that won by 1%.

It's funny how you preface by conjuring a non-binary system and then proceed to "explain" from a binary system angle.

Yes, in a system with more than 2 parties there can be multiple majorities.

Imagine that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Jag85
@R10nu said:
@Jag85 said:

You've just contradicted yourself:

@R10nu said:
@Maroxad said:

majority

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Maroxad

@R10nu said:
@Maroxad said:

It's funny how you preface by conjuring a non-binary system and then proceed to "explain" from a binary system angle.

Yes, in a system with more than 2 parties there can be multiple majorities.

Imagine that.

I thought I wouldnt have to explain the follow ups because that could have been taken for granted.

31% team blue <-Majority
30% team green <-Minority
20% team yellow <-Minority
19% team red <-Minority

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#140 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I thought I wouldnt have to explain the follow ups because that could have been taken for granted.

31% team blue <-Majority

19% team red <-Minority

Should the 31% team blue be a plurality, not a majority?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Maroxad

@onesiphorus said:
@Maroxad said:

31% team blue <-Majority

19% team red <-Minority

Should the 31% team blue be a plurality, not a majority?

Plurality is also known as a relative majority ;)

But really there are multiple forms of majorities. Simple majority being >50%, qualified majroity for reaching a certain threshold (which is arbitarily set), and relative majority which is when the subset is larger than any other. And based on what was stated, it to me seemed quite clear which one was being talked about.

Edit: The important thing is, the guy didnt break any mathematical laws. And that is good enough for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#142 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

What politics the first TLOU had ? It was a pretty standart apocalypse/end of the world/zombi story. Nothing special.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#143 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

I don't recall any overt politics being thrown around. Can someone refresh my memory?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

What the hell is "personal politics" and what about the end of the game dealt with it

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Quicksilver128

@Maroxad: @soulitane: Whats more amazing is the justification liberals give to everything as long as they agree with it. Obviously not everything is going to be realistic. But you dont see me whining about Laura Croft being able to take a bullet and keep on climbing do you?

No because thats how things happen within the context of the game. However to introduce a character in the UC series for the first time in its history where no matter what you do you still lose. Shes also the only UC villian in the history of the series not to die. Because she served a blatant purpose. ( look how bad ass i am). Imagine playing Zelda and not being able to beat Ganondorf. This is a perfect example of an agenda effecting gameplay in a negative way.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@Pedro said:

"I prefer if there weren't politics in games" == "I don't like opinions that are not inline with mine"

"I prefer if race/minority wasn't forced into games" == "I don't like diversity and I am trying to justify it with an asinine criteria"

"Developers should be able to express their artistic vision without censorship" == "I like when developers make games I like but if they don't then they are pandering to SJW and the freedom of artistic expression is being censored"

Are you acting as if that doesn't go both ways? Maybe you have missed the there isn't enough of this type of person, or why are they showing them in that manner, or the way I feel isn't represented, from the opposite side of who you are speaking. That's pretty disingenuous.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Maroxad

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Maroxad: @soulitane: Whats more amazing is the justification liberals give to everything as long as they agree with it. Obviously not everything is going to be realistic. But you dont see me whining about Laura Croft being able to take a bullet and keep on climbing do you?

No because thats how things happen within the context of the game. However to introduce a character in the UC series for the first time in its history where no matter what you do you still lose. Shes also the only UC villian in the history of the series not to die. Because she served a blatant purpose. ( look how bad ass i am). Imagine playing Zelda and not being able to beat Ganondorf. This is a perfect example of an agenda effecting gameplay in a negative way.

I can think of several stories where the villain doesnt exactly get beaten. or defeated.

I dont care for Uncharted, but what honestly... whining about Nathan Drake not being able to kill/defeat the villain in the story? This is actually more common in fiction than you would think.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By soulitane

@Chutebox said:

What the hell is "personal politics" and what about the end of the game dealt with it

My guess is that he's meaning morality by that, which would explain what he means by the end of the first game.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Quicksilver128

@Maroxad: Can you think of any game where you have two worthless boss battles where no matter what you do the results are the same? And i do care for UC4 hence the reason im mentioning it. It overall was a great game but im simply naming a perfect example where an agenda actually negatively effected gameplay. Dont make your boss a black female if you dont have the balls to show her getting punched by a white man. It would be like Crystal Dynamics making Laura Croft bullet proof.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4864 Posts

@phbz said:

It is a greater offence for me when anything refrains from having a personal view to avoid conflict.

+10000.