Drickmann, The Last of Us Part 2 Won’t Avoid ‘Personal Politics’. SW, are you okay with this?

• 183 results
Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Video games, as an art form, often avoid making any sort of definitive stance. They can do this, because the act of playing a game is a joy unto itself, with the meaning behind it often being an after thought, if it was thought about at all. The Last of Us was not like this, with its deep and impactful story that had a definite point of view about the world in which it took place, and our own world, by extension. According to series creator Neil Druckmann this will continue in The Last of Us Part 2.

Druckmann was responding to a fan who has since deleted his tweet. The overall point was that the fan loved The Last of Us, but didn’t like how political the game felt, especially near the end. He asked that the team avoid delving into politics in The Last of Us Part 2. Druckmann responded by saying “No can do. Writers work off of their views of the world. For example, the ending of TLoU is very much inspired by my “personal politics.””

It’s an important and extremely valid point. The Last of Us was a very personal project for Druckmann. He was involved in almost every step of the development process, and it was this love and devotion that likely set the game apart from so many others. To ask that Druckmann and his team develop The Last of Us Part 2, but avoid making any sort of point, or taking any firm stance on important issues seems silly in a lot of ways.

Twitter, of course, found better ways to explain the problem than I can. My favorite was from Talks Machinima host Brian Wayne Foster who described the request as asking for Druckmann to “Please take a picture with me but please don’t be in it.”

Are you happy that The Last of Us Part 2 won’t avoid politics? Do you want Druckmann to continue putting his view out there in his games? Let us know in the comments.

Political Sauce

I don't know if this is needed and it could be very risky. If he goes to deep into trying to tell his personal politics it could turn potential gamers off. We can guess is views from the last Last of Us DLC. I just they keep their Personal Politics to a minimum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The first game didn't avoid his politics either, and it came out better for it. Bring it on.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I think it's fine but it will have crazy people on the Internet screaming "SJW" and all kinds of other stupid shit. Oh well...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

@mark1974 said:

I think it's fine but it will have crazy people on the Internet screaming "SJW" and all kinds of other stupid shit. Oh well...

It's going to be more rampant than ever after the recent election/inauguration.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Freedom of speech and all that jazz. Don't avoid doing things just because others don't like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

It is a greater offence for me when anything refrains from having a personal view to avoid conflict.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Flyincloud1116

@nintendoboy16 said:
@mark1974 said:

Yes, the inauguration has brought out all kind of nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

He should express himself freely through his work if he likes. I'm all for it! :)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

I'll respect you more for taking a stance, or just having an opinion, than pandering to the masses. It may not be what you want to hear, but that's just life.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

"I prefer if there weren't politics in games" == "I don't like opinions that are not inline with mine"

"I prefer if race/minority wasn't forced into games" == "I don't like diversity and I am trying to justify it with an asinine criteria"

"Developers should be able to express their artistic vision without censorship" == "I like when developers make games I like but if they don't then they are pandering to SJW and the freedom of artistic expression is being censored"

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Flyincloud1116

@Pedro said:

"I prefer if there weren't politics in games" == "I don't like opinions that are not inline with mine"

"I prefer if race/minority wasn't forced into games" == "I don't like diversity and I am trying to justify it with an asinine criteria"

"Developers should be able to express their artistic vision without censorship" == "I like when developers make games I like but if they don't then they are pandering to SJW and the freedom of artistic expression is being censored"

Nutshell.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

whatever. who cares? let the special little anti-sjw snowflakes cry. no one cares what they think.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Pedro said:

Hammer, meet nail. Nail, meet hammer.

I'd like to see more games explore their themes with greater depth, uncompromised and uncensored.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Art is usually better if it gets political. Games shouldn't be any different.

Taternator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Taternator
Member since 2017 • 47 Posts

I notice people are saying they want "artistic freedom" but only as long as it falls in line with their personal politics. A game like this will be celebrated for standing up for women's rights or praised for civil rights correctness, but if those politics explore racism, rape or misogyny the brick throwers will come out in full force.

It's fine if it's my side of the political arena.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@sts106mat said:

The second one here is incorrect. If you remove the word "Forced" it is fine.

Personally i have no problem with diversity of race /minority.

But forcing it, just for the sake of having it in there to appease some people is a big difference than just having it in the game because the developers believed it should be.

Who is to say that the placement of a minority in game is forced? Why is the placing of a minority in a game potentially forced but the "standard" placement of a white person isn't?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

O man, this gone get them,

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Pedro said:
@sts106mat said:

But forcing it, just for the sake of having it in there to appease some people is a big difference than just having it in the game because the developers believed it should be.

Who is to say that the placement of a minority in game is forced? Why is the placing of a minority in a game potentially forced but the "standard" placement of a white person isn't?

If anything, making your protagonist white is more forced than if you made them a minority. Most protagonists are white because thats what sells. You think UC4 would have sold as much as it did if Nathan Drake was an Indian dude? **** no

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19553 Posts

@Pedro said:
@sts106mat said:

This. The "pandering" argument peddled by the alt-right/gamergate doesn't hold up to logical scrutiny.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85

@flyincloud1116 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@mark1974 said:

It was "Gamergate" that kick-started this nonsense a few years back. If anything, "Gamergate" was a precursor to the Trump phenomenon. Some of the folks fuelling Gamergate later went on to fuel the Trump campaign.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Flyincloud1116

@Jag85 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@mark1974 said:

It was "Gamergate" that kick-started this nonsense a few years back. If anything, "Gamergate" was a precursor to the Trump phenomenon. Some of the folks fuelling Gamergate later went on to fuel the Trump campaign.

If you say so, I can't disprove that theory.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@sts106mat said:

You were the one who used the word "forced", it shouldn't be hard to figure out. If the minority is "forced" in, then its forced in. as for "potentially forced in" or not, that would depend on the developer in question. i can't remember the case latley, might have been capcom with streetfighter....but didn't they buckle to public outcry about some ass slapping I am not questioning whether or not it should be. your use of the word forced is where the issue is.

How is a white person "standard" placement exactly? If its because there are more white americans living in the US, then why is it surprising that there are more white people in games / TV / movies.

There is absolutely no reason why movies / TV / games etc shouldn't feature different races, but dont force it just for the sake of having the "token black guy".

I used the word force because that is what some people ACTUALLY say when a minority of some sort is placed in game. Again, you are not clarifying the notion of a minority being forced into game. You also cannot explained why the idea of a minority has the potential or being forced into a game but that same notion is not argued when a white person is placed in game.

Here is another way to look at it. When a game is revealed an there is a white person for the main or side character, is there a discussion of the people being white up for discussion or argued of potentially being forced?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@Pedro said:
@sts106mat said:

If anything, making your protagonist white is more forced than if you made them a minority. Most protagonists are white because thats what sells. You think UC4 would have sold as much as it did if Nathan Drake was an Indian dude? **** no

The trends are showing that diversity is what gamers want to see more of, so the "white sells more" doesn't necessarily hold weight. But what is very much relevant is accuracy to the geographical and historical setting.

People complained about Witcher 3 being "predominantly white" (disregarding elves and dwarves as their own ethnicity) without considering the setting being medieval Poland (albeit a fantasy version), and that the populace reflected the locale. People complained about lack of female avatar options for Battlefield 1, demanding their entitled agenda to supersede historical accuracy to the setting.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

The first game didn't avoid his politics either, and it came out better for it. Bring it on.

Agreed. Bring it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jag85

@flyincloud1116 said:
@Jag85 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

If you say so, I can't disprove that theory.

I was referring to Breitbart, more specifically. They played a central role in the "Gamergate" controversy a few years back, then later went on to become advisors for Trump, in his campaign and now his administration.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I personally have little faith that Part 2 can come anywhere close to how good TLoU was, and I'm honestly disappointed that it's even happening in the first place. But as it is, I want them to at least keep to the ideas and mindsets they had while making the first game.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#31 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Tell the story you want to tell. Create the game you want to create.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I loved TLoU...But what politics where in the game?!?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#33  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@zassimick said:

Tell the story you want to tell. Create the game you want to create.

This is pretty much it, everyone should be able to make the game they envision without being censored. If people dont like it, they dont like it

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

@vfighter said:

I loved TLoU...But what politics where in the game?!?

Yeah this lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jag85

@sts106mat said:
@Pedro said:
@sts106mat said:

You were the one who used the word "forced", it shouldn't be hard to figure out. If the minority is "forced" in, then its forced in. as for "potentially forced in" or not, that would depend on the developer in question. i can't remember the case latley, might have been capcom with streetfighter....but didn't they buckle to public outcry about some ass slapping I am not questioning whether or not it should be. your use of the word forced is where the issue is.

How is a white person "standard" placement exactly? If its because there are more white americans living in the US, then why is it surprising that there are more white people in games / TV / movies.

There is absolutely no reason why movies / TV / games etc shouldn't feature different races, but dont force it just for the sake of having the "token black guy".

I used the word force because that is what some people ACTUALLY say when a minority of some sort is placed in game. Again, you are not clarifying the notion of a minority being forced into game. You also cannot explained why the idea of a minority has the potential or being forced into a game but that same notion is not argued when a white person is placed in game.

Here is another way to look at it. When a game is revealed an there is a white person for the main or side character, is there a discussion of the people being white up for discussion or argued of potentially being forced?

I see what you are saying there then.

Unfortunately i am finishing work in a moment so will have to continue this another day. As for your last point, the answer is no. Not because of racism, but probably because the majority of people who play the game will be white males.

that other races and girls etc will play the game is a given, but a developer needn't make Uncharted about a chinese transgender woman just for the sake of equality.

I have no problem playing as a black guy or a white woman when the game is presented that way.

When given the choice i will always choose white male, since that is what i am. It does not make me racist or sexist.

In America, white males are a minority, constituting 31% of the population. That's "pandering", according to your own logic.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@vfighter: Women were seen as strong and homosexuality ok. Doesn't sound like much to you or me but it's enough to get ignorant people triggered.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

Ellie turns out to be a cis-scum hating transfox. Let's get it out of the way, Druckmann.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@sts106mat said:

I see what you are saying there then.

Unfortunately i am finishing work in a moment so will have to continue this another day. As for your last point, the answer is no. Not because of racism, but probably because the majority of people who play the game will be white males.

that other races and girls etc will play the game is a given, but a developer needn't make Uncharted about a chinese transgender woman just for the sake of equality.

I have no problem playing as a black guy or a white woman when the game is presented that way.

When given the choice i will always choose white male, since that is what i am. It does not make me racist or sexist.

The idea that I trying to get across is not for the changing of existing characters but that there should not be such suspicion for the revealing of a character that is outside the common practice. Whether or not the character is pandering is really irrelevant because games are pandering to some group or demographic by default. When you give players options to change the look of the character, more power to the developers and more power to players. Not all game has to have every ethnicity included but at the same time the inclusion of other ethnicity shouldn't have to follow a blur specification of when they can or cannot be used when that specification has not been called in to question for white characters.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

His game, his decision (as long as it gets past Sony) I don't care.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This game has the potential to alienate a lot of folks. There is an obvious trend of pandering to the far left, Bay Area hipsters. I have no issues with diversity in games and media, but taking things too far in either direction is risky. The uber-macho meat heads in Gears of War are as lame as playing a zombie game starring a Melissa Etheridge clone.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:

Video games, as an art form, often avoid making any sort of definitive stance. They can do this, because the act of playing a game is a joy unto itself, with the meaning behind it often being an after thought, if it was thought about at all. The Last of Us was not like this, with its deep and impactful story that had a definite point of view about the world in which it took place, and our own world, by extension. According to series creator Neil Druckmann this will continue in The Last of Us Part 2.

Druckmann was responding to a fan who has since deleted his tweet. The overall point was that the fan loved The Last of Us, but didn’t like how political the game felt, especially near the end. He asked that the team avoid delving into politics in The Last of Us Part 2. Druckmann responded by saying “No can do. Writers work off of their views of the world. For example, the ending of TLoU is very much inspired by my “personal politics.””

It’s an important and extremely valid point. The Last of Us was a very personal project for Druckmann. He was involved in almost every step of the development process, and it was this love and devotion that likely set the game apart from so many others. To ask that Druckmann and his team develop The Last of Us Part 2, but avoid making any sort of point, or taking any firm stance on important issues seems silly in a lot of ways.

Twitter, of course, found better ways to explain the problem than I can. My favorite was from Talks Machinima host Brian Wayne Foster who described the request as asking for Druckmann to “Please take a picture with me but please don’t be in it.”

Are you happy that The Last of Us Part 2 won’t avoid politics? Do you want Druckmann to continue putting his view out there in his games? Let us know in the comments.

Political Sauce

I don't know if this is needed and it could be very risky. If he goes to deep into trying to tell his personal politics it could turn potential gamers off. We can guess is views from the last Last of Us DLC. I just they keep their Personal Politics to a minimum.

There you have it cows, from the creative director him self. The Flop of Us/UC4 isn't a game and is an failed imitation of a movie. Not interested in this SJW non-game garbage. Warren Spector was right to call out these hacks at Naughty Duds.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Flyincloud1116

@zeeshanhaider said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Political Sauce

There you have it cows, from the creative director him self. The Flop of Us/UC4 isn't a game and is an failed imitation of a movie. Not interested in this SJW non-game garbage. Warren Spector was right to call out these hacks at Naughty Duds.

You feel better. Go jackass somewhere else hermit.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@flyincloud1116 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Political Sauce

Nope, I'm saving this post to rub it every time a cow brings up Naughty Duds and their (non-existent) gameplay. Cows best title to date even touted by its creative director to be a movie.

Remain butthurt that after all the hula hoooo your messiah has accepted they can't do gameplay.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Flyincloud1116

@zeeshanhaider said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Political Sauce

Nope, I'm saving this post to rub it every time a cow brings up Naughty Duds and their (non-existent) gameplay. Cows best title to date even touted by its creative director to be a movie.

Remain butthurt that after all the hula hoooo your messiah has accepted they can't do gameplay.

You are just a trolling hermit, I'll ignore you from now on. Thanks.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zeeshanhaider

@flyincloud1116 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Political Sauce

You are just a trolling hermit, I'll ignore you from now on. Thanks.

Oh yeah............after all this chest beating over the years, here is the creative director him self acknowledging that his 'game' is an imitation of a passive medium like movies and avoids any kind of gameplay for that reason. Shame!

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Jag85 said:

In America, white males are a minority, constituting 31% of the population. That's "pandering", according to your own logic.

This word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Name the group that is larger percent of the population.

EDIT: Wikipedia says whites constitue ~70% of the US population. Where did you pull your numbers from?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#47 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

TLoU was political "near the end"?... what?

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

Knowing how much he fucked up Uncharted 4, it doesn't sound too good.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#49 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I thought that was kind of the point of The Last Us?

I don't know, I never thought that was a bad thing.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

?? there was politics in The Last of Us??... :P