DMC demo went up today.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18801 Posts

Just played the demo(PS3) and right off the back i'm not digging the visuals.

Dont like how the square button operates gun and the whip. guns feel lame now.

Dante is lame when he talks during the boss battle.

But overall it seems like it will be a good solid playthrough for $20-$30

I also thought Dante's mother is human. Where this angel stuff coming from?

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I love how the developers think the sluggish controls are acceptable for this sort of game, I believe this is relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guncg3RqkyY&hd=1
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

It absolutely did not......

Gue1

Hmmm...maybe not, but it was on par with DMC3 arguably the best action game last gen.

best action game of last gen was God of War.

Wow....
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PSP107
[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

Hmmm...maybe not, but it was on par with DMC3 arguably the best action game last gen.

Wow....

GOW 1 or 2 gets my vote.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

It looks great. Will certainly give the demo a try.
Dante looks like a douche, though

2deep4u

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

Wow....

GOW 1 or 2 gets my vote.

God of War, at least 2 and to certain extent 1, was an excellent action adventure. Its action aspect was simplistic with camera angles making it more epic than it actually is. The strength of GoW series comes not from the combat mechanic, but its excellent level design and puzzles.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

So, how badly is Ninja Theory's game going to irrevocably damage the franchise?

We talking DMC2-levels of awful here or what?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

my bad, there was another difficulty that was locked. Once you unlock it the enemies are more varied, they use new moves and they actually move and even guard against your attacks! Game is not so bad after you get used to mash buttons like in God of War. But they really need to simplify the controller.

In the old DMC games you could target an enemy, use roll/dash and secondary abilities with just 1 button and this gave you space to time your combos, cancels and stuffwhile in this game you need 3 hands to play it correctly. You button mash or you die.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Gue1

That's not how you spell Ninja Gaiden Black.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I found HS and enslaved very enjoyable games.finalfantasy94
I found the HS demo so laughably dull, I barely made it part the first fight. I guess being used to a higher quality action game (DMC3/4, Bayonetta) I came to expect more from the combat.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]I found HS and enslaved very enjoyable games.Zeviander
I found the HS demo so laughably dull, I barely made it part the first fight. I guess being used to a higher quality action game (DMC3/4, Bayonetta) I came to expect more from the combat.

Correction: You came to expect something, anything from the combat.

Ninja Theory can't design good combat to save their lives.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Zeviander
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]Actually they produced 2 games better than DMC 2 according to gamespot. So. There goes your argument Based on subjective feelings, you're fine by that. But if you wanna look at stone hard facts. 2 8.0's It says "great" underneath the score. And I can safely assume you're not an industry professional.

:lol: Scores.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

new PSN store update svcks a$$. Went to dl DMC demo and PSN store keeps freezing . going to dl via XBL now.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Zeviander
I also thought Dante's mother is human. Where this angel stuff coming from?PSP107
It's a reboot. NT got a blank slate with which to sh!t all over the established lore. I don't even think there are "angels" in the original DMC universe. Just "devils" and the underworld where the devils live.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="PSP107"]I also thought Dante's mother is human. Where this angel stuff coming from?Zeviander
It's a reboot. NT got a blank slate with which to sh!t all over the established lore. I don't even think there are "angels" in the original DMC universe. Just "devils" and the underworld where the devils live.

Just keep telling yourself, "It's not canon, it's all fanfiction, it's not canon." That's what I did with Halo 4's campaign and it made me hate the game significantly less, aside from the mad stupid bits that were just inexcusable.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PSP107

new PSN store update svcks a$$. Went to dl DMC demo and PSN store keeps freezing . going to dl via XBL now.

indzman
lol, I downloaded the update prior to downloading/playing the DMC demo and I agree, the PSN store really sucks.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

I thought it was great, f*** you all.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 balfe1990

my bad, there was another difficulty that was locked. Once you unlock it the enemies are more varied, they use new moves and they actually move and even guard against your attacks! Game is not so bad after you get used to mash buttons like in God of War. But they really need to simplify the controller.

In the old DMC games you could target an enemy, use roll/dash and secondary abilities with just 1 button and this gave you space to time your combos, cancels and stuffwhile in this game you need 3 hands to play it correctly. You button mash or you die.

Gue1

You were just complaining that the game is now too casual for your tastes, and are now bemoaning that you can't just press random buttons in any sequence to win the game?

So, it's too hard for you now, but still remains casual? I can't keep up...

EDIT: WHOOOPS, misread your post, my bad.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
[QUOTE="1PMrFister"]Played it. Some of the movement, jumping in particular, seems a bit stiff. I'm not a fan of the oh-so-gritty death metal style, either. Game didn't really tickle my fancy, so I'll give the full game a pass.dreman999
DMC was always death metal.

What I heard in that demo was not death metal.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

That's not how you spell Ninja Gaiden Black.DarkLink77

Pardon my need to correct you, but you seem to have misspelled Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. No worries, my dear chap, everyone makes spelling mistakes from time to time.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Downloading. The gameplay footages look quite good. Now lets see if the game feels good.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Gue1

:lol:

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]That's not how you spell Ninja Gaiden Black.Lucianu

Pardon my need to correct you, but you seem to have misspelled Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. No worries, my dear chap, everyone makes spelling mistakes from time to time.

That game didn't have sh1t on NGB, custom combos or not.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"]

Yeah, Bayonetta did set a new standard for fast and fluid style-oriented combat.GD1551

Actually you can name one game that can match up to it in fluidity and that's NG2. Bayonetta's a slick action game that makes DMC look sluggish, which might not be saying a lot because even NGB made the wonderful DMC3 feel sluggish by comparison.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]I found HS and enslaved very enjoyable games.DarkLink77

Not a major fan of the game, but I'd like some of those defensive mechanics in a prime time hack n slash. DMCs defense cIass(royal guard) was a little off most of the time, and Bayonetta is more evasion than defense. Ninja Gaiden's the only series that really had you playing on a more defense oriented level, but HS's counter system yielded some good stuff. It's just incredibly easy and shallow about it lol.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#76 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

So I gave the demo a go, and did so with no real expectations. Overall, I kinda liked it. It has more than a fair share of issues, but I can see myself renting the game when it's released.

• Combat is brutal and fairly satisfying. I like how you can seamlessly change between Dante's sword, scythe, and axe. The control is a little on the stiff side, but once you get used to them you're able to pull off some pretty sweet moves.
  • Despite it being 30FPS, performance is consistent (at least on 360). Never experienced any noticable framerate dip while playing.
  • The game seems to be on the easy side. On the second hardest difficulty, enemies weren't intimidating, not even in groups. Throughout the first section my health never went down less than half. More health was taken during the boss fight, but that was mainly due to me playing recklessly. It's also easier to get combo rankings to A/S, as the game seems to be lenient in you performing the same combos for the most part. The difficulty isn't nearly as demanding as DMC3, or the other titles that don't have a 2 next to it.
  • Great visual design. A little too much bloom, but I love the vibrant tone.
  • Dante doesn't seem to be any better (or worse) than what Dante was like in DMC3. I'm indifferent towards him, although the scene before the boss fight was just very, very bad.
  • It presents some very interesting ideas in regards to level design and to a lesser extent, pacing. At the least it was interesting enough to make me want to see what the full game has to offer.

At this rate, it seems to be better than 2 and 4, but miles away from 1 and 3.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#77 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]That's not how you spell Ninja Gaiden Black.Lucianu

You misspelled Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening. The P*ssy Edition is not the true DMC3 experience.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"] I found the HS demo so laughably dull, I barely made it part the first fight. I guess being used to a higher quality action game (DMC3/4, Bayonetta) I came to expect more from the combat.jg4xchamp

Not a major fan of the game, but I'd like some of those defensive mechanics in a prime time hack n slash. DMCs defense cIass(royal guard) was a little off most of the time, and Bayonetta is more evasion than defense. Ninja Gaiden's the only series that really had you playing on a more defense oriented level, but HS's counter system yielded some good stuff. It's just incredibly easy and shallow about it lol.

Devil May Cry is leagues better than Ninja Gaiden, admit it now!

And also Devil May Cry 3 is the best action game of last gen, followed by God of War 2, then God of War, and yeah sure we can give NGB fourth place.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9873 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]I found HS and enslaved very enjoyable games.DarkLink77

That's why Capcom sent combat wizards to babysit NT every step on the way.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 balfe1990

• The game seems to be on the easy side. On the second hardest difficulty, enemies weren't intimidating, not even in groups. Throughout the first section my health never went down less than half. More health was taken during the boss fight, but that was mainly due to me playing recklessly. It's also easier to get combo rankings to A/S, as the game seems to be lenient in you performing the same combos for the most part. The difficulty isn't nearly as demanding as DMC3, or the other titles that don't have a 2 next to it.

drinkerofjuice

Alongside Easy, Normal and Hard you also get:

• Son of Sparda- Remixed enemy layouts, tougher enemies and enemy behavior throughout.
  • Dante Must Die- As above, but contains the strongest enemies and insane attack waves.
  • Heaven or Hell- Another remixed mode, but everyone and everything, including Dante, dies after one hit. Supremely satisfying!
  • Hell and Hell- The same as above, but only Dante dies after one hit. For serious contenders.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]That's not how you spell Ninja Gaiden Black.Master_ShakeXXX

You misspelled Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening. The P*ssy Edition is not the true DMC3 experience.

They just balanced the difficulties, which was needed.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

freedomfreak

They p*ssified it.

I can't really blame them. Not everybody was manly enough to complete the hardcore and legendary DMC3: Dante's Awakening, so a training wheels version was needed to appease the sniveling weaklings. Thus the DMC3: P*ssy Edition was born.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 drinkerofjuice

Need to try this demo to see how much they ruined my favourite hack and slash.

Stringerboy
Don't see how they ruined the series when it's not trying to affiliate itself with said series. This isn't Devil May Cry 5. Don't know why people are having trouble seeing this.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 drinkerofjuice

They p*ssified it.

I can't really blame them. Not everybody was manly enough to complete the hardcore and legendary DMC3: Dante's Awakening, so a training wheels version was needed to appease the sniveling weaklings. Thus the DMC3: P*ssy Edition was born.

Master_ShakeXXX

There's a tough game, and then there's one that's simply unfair. As some who finished it on Dante Must Die, DMC3 teetered on that point on more than a few occasions.

That's part of the reason why NGB is a superior hack n'slash. It was as tough as it was fair.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

They p*ssified it.

Euhm no. DMD mode's inconsistency was painful. DMC1's DMD was satisfying and challenging throughout the whole game. Same thing can't be said about 3, were they c0cked up quite a few times, leaving you scratching your head as to what just happened. I haven't finished SE's DMD, but from what I've heard it's more balanced. Not "pvssified".
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

It's so hard to pick through the true criticisms and the fanboyish hatred. I'm going to have to download this myself I suppose.

Twin-Blade

This. Looks great, but I guess I will have to see for myself.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

They p*ssified it.

They added one easier difficulty and made it the standard difficulty. That's really it. And the gold/yellow orb.

The game also added 9999 level survival mode as well as an entirely new character.

edit: And for the record, I DID beat the original DMC3 before getting SE.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#89 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]Actually they produced 2 games better than DMC 2 according to gamespot. So. There goes your argument Based on subjective feelings, you're fine by that. But if you wanna look at stone hard facts. 2 8.0's It says "great" underneath the score. And I can safely assume you're not an industry professional.

:lol: Scores.

That's fact buddy :D
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Sushiglutton  Online

Played it, liked it :D. Artstyle and visuals are both fantastic imo. Combat has a lot of potential (hard to judge by a short tutorial level and part of a boss fight). Most moves are available in a single (double) button press (L2/R2 + face button to get additional moves). You can manipulate your enemies in typical ways by launching, pulling them towards you, pulling yourself towards them, juggle them and so on. All moves feel great imo. This is clearly way above the combat Ninja Theory has made before.

The thing I didn't like was that there were too many cutscenes disrupting the flow. Take for example when you enter the church via a cutscene. You run forward litereay two meters and another cutscene starts. You make a handful of jumps and then another cutscene. This is true for all the platforming sequences in the demo. I want to be in the action rather than watching it. If I'm going to jump through a window I want to be in control while it happens, not watch it from an outside camera. I wonder if this type of modern design is a result of the limited RAM. That they have to use frequent cut-scenes to hide the loading times.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Sushiglutton  Online

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]

balfe1990

• Son of Sparda- Remixed enemy layouts, tougher enemies and enemy behavior throughout.
  • Dante Must Die- As above, but contains the strongest enemies and insane attack waves.
  • Heaven or Hell- Another remixed mode, but everyone and everything, including Dante, dies after one hit. Supremely satisfying!
  • Hell and Hell- The same as above, but only Dante dies after one hit. For serious contenders.

Heaven or Hell boss fights must be fun :D. Dante enters room, takes a swing, boss dies, move on.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]

Sushiglutton

Heaven or Hell boss fights must be fun :D. Dante enters room, takes a swing, boss dies, move on.

Let's just say you need to be focused.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]That's not how you spell Ninja Gaiden Black.Master_ShakeXXX

People already expanded upon what i was gonna say, more or less shrug.gifso am gonna just say that playing as Virgil >>>> your complaint, man.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]I found HS and enslaved very enjoyable games.Zeviander

I played and enjoyed dmc3 and still had fun with HS.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
PC demo?
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]I found HS and enslaved very enjoyable games.finalfantasy94

I played and enjoyed dmc3 and still had fun with HS.

Yeah, me too. It's also my favorite post-apocalyptic world. Presentation and voice-acting was also top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the game.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="PSP107"]I also thought Dante's mother is human. Where this angel stuff coming from?DarkLink77

Just keep telling yourself, "It's not canon, it's all fanfiction, it's not canon." That's what I did with Halo 4's campaign and it made me hate the game significantly less, aside from the mad stupid bits that were just inexcusable.

well cant really compare to your halo 4 situation since halo 4 is actually connected to the other games. While this dmc is a different universe.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 finalfantasy94

Played it, liked it :D. Artstyle and visuals are both fantastic imo. Combat has a lot of potential (hard to judge by a short tutorial level and part of a boss fight). Most moves are available in a single (double) button press (L2/R2 + face button to get additional moves). You can manipulate your enemies in typical ways by launching, pulling them towards you, pulling yourself towards them, juggle them and so on. All moves feel great imo. This is clearly way above the combat Ninja Theory has made before.

The thing I didn't like was that there were too many cutscenes disrupting the flow. Take for example when you enter the church via a cutscene. You run forward litereay two meters and another cutscene starts. You make a handful of jumps and then another cutscene. This is true for all the platforming sequences in the demo. I want to be in the action rather than watching it. If I'm going to jump through a window I want to be in control while it happens, not watch it from an outside camera. I wonder if this type of modern design is a result of the limited RAM. That they have to use frequent cut-scenes to hide the loading times.

Sushiglutton

I agree. I hope they take this experiance and grow from it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#99 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="1PMrFister"] I've never played a DMC game before this, and even if I did, it still doesn't change the fact that what I witnessed in the demo did nothing for me. I'll be sticking to Bayonetta 2 whenever that gets released.1PMrFister
Well anything you compare to Bayonetta will of course be sluggish.

Yeah, Bayonetta did set a new standard for fast and fluid style-oriented combat.

Actually, even though I prefer Bayonetta's combat, NG combat feels more fluid and faster then the Bayonetta combat. So imho it didnt set any new standard, it just made its own thing

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#100 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Just played the demo

My final impressions, coming from an HUGE hack'n'slash fan (Including Bayonetta, DMC, NG, GoW)

Graphics: Serviceable

Combat: Fluid and fun. A great job all around. It feels DMC in its core but with its own tweak. The 30fps are noticeable but didnt though they were that big of a deal. The combat felt fluid for the most part. Yes, it sucks that isnt 60fps but we get what we get. If we're gonna ditch every game for not being 60fps we would miss greatly

Enemy design: Not really a fan of it but its not bad either

Artsyle: I still prefer the gothic feeling of previous DMC but the new take also has its interesting visuals

Difficulty: Standard. I beat it on the Hard difficulty (the one before Son of Sparda) and still gave me a challenge. I died once in the boss fight and had to use the yellow orb. I take it this will be in early levels so it'll be like other DMC (Seriously, the early levels in all DMC were more or same as difficult as these ones, I felt, only maybe the original DMC3 was harder)

Cons: I'm dont like the lack of a lock'on mecanic or the fact that I need to constantly press square to fire the guns normally. Having to hold R2/L2 for using different weapons is also unintuitive. I would prefer for them to let us change the weapons with only one button press

Overall I really liked what I played and seen so far. In the beggining I had my doubts on NT capability at combat mechanics but as an open-minded person I believe this game will turn out good in the end (here hoping it does). Cant wait for the final product