Dark Souls VS. The Witcher 2

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#51 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="pcps360"] lol never played it and yet you tried to comment, no TW2 is nowhere as hard as DS nor as funpcps360

I didn´t tried,I actually did,I played Demon´s Souls and that´s more than enough for me to know that it´s oh so similar to Dark Souls.

oh interesting, so, I played TW1, dull as hell, but I should know TW2 is duller because they are so similar even though I never TW2. Best logic in the world

The difference is,TW is very different from TW2,especially regarding the gameplay,Dark Souls plays exactly like Demon´s Souls,and looks almost exactly like Demon´s Souls,even the hud is basically the same thing lol.

I´ve been watching Josh´s playthrough of Dark Souls on Justintv and if I didn´t knew better,I thought he was playing Demon´s Souls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
I prefer story-driven RPGs to dungeon crawlers, so The Witcher 2.
Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

I liked the Witcher 2 more. In terms of which is actually the better game that's harder to say. They both do what they do very well, though they do quite different things. The Witcher 2 is a very good story told fantastically with solid combat and very good writing. Dark Souls has no real story to speak of but that isn't the point. It's an extremely punishing, extremely well made dungeon crawler that does anything but hold your hand. It's really up to personal preference I'd say, though Dark Souls' framerate issues can be a pain.

pcps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 pcps360
Member since 2011 • 216 Posts

[QUOTE="pcps360"][QUOTE="Arach666"] I didn´t tried,I actually did,I played Demon´s Souls and that´s more than enough for me to know that it´s oh so similar to Dark Souls.

Arach666

oh interesting, so, I played TW1, dull as hell, but I should know TW2 is duller because they are so similar even though I never TW2. Best logic in the world

The difference is,TW is very different from TW2,especially regarding the gameplay,Dark Souls plays exactly like Demon´s Souls,and looks almost exactly like Demon´s Souls,even the hud is basically the same thing lol.

I´ve been watching Josh´s playthrough of Dark Souls on Justintv and if I didn´t knew better,I thought he was playing Demon´s Souls.

The difference is I play both and you haven't. for one, yet the wticher1 n 2's charter by charpter,and the converation driven mechanics are the same, for two Demon's souls is nothing like dark souls, start from world structure to combat system overhaul, so why comment on an object you clearly have no knowledge of?
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#55 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="pcps360"] oh interesting, so, I played TW1, dull as hell, but I should know TW2 is duller because they are so similar even though I never TW2. Best logic in the world pcps360

The difference is I play both and you haven't. for one, yet the wticher1 n 2's charter by charpter,and the converation driven mechanics are the same, for two Demon's souls is nothing like dark souls, start from world structure to combat system overhaul, so why comment on an object you clearly have no knowledge of?

Again,I´ve already seen a big chunk of Dark Souls to know that the core game is almost the same,while TW1 is in most ways completely diferent than TW2. So yeah,I just because I haven´t played it doesn´t meant that I´m blind,almost everything I saw from that playthrough is super similar to the first game,while if I look at TW1 and then at TW2,it´s not even close,it has obvious similarities but it hardly looks like the same game. Just because Dark doesn´t have world tendencies and it´s more open world,that doesn´t change the fact that the core experience is almost the same as Demon´s Souls,something that even reviewers state.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Gameplay: Dark Souls (by a million times over)

Story: Witcher 2

Non linearity: Dark Souls

NPCs: Tie

Towns: Witcher 2

Dialogs: Witcher 2

Atmosphere: Dark Souls

Challenge: Dark Souls

Fun factor: Dark Souls

Level Design: Dark Souls

Freedom: Dark Souls

I would say Dark Souls is a far better game in most ways, Witcher 2 is a great game though and has its own perks

Both are on my xbox 360, so who cares what is best anyway ?

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Dark souls has fantastic boss design and some fantastic art design. The lack of any significant story (which it isn't meant to have) whilst refreshing, sometimes left things a little disjointed.

The Witcher 2 wins out for me (and I have yet to complete it). The world is fantastic, along with the art design, and Geralt is up there as one of the better protagonists this gen, personally.

lundy86_4

The only reason whitcher 2 wins of dark souls for me is pretty much the story also. Imo any rpg needs a story. Dark souls is more of an MMO, where its mostly just fighting and getting better equips/spells etc, with some story to fill in the gaps. Not that its a bad thing, I just prefer the whole cutscenes and epic storylines.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

if an rpg doesnt have a story...then what is it? an action game...sooo if ur comparing it by rpg standards...then the witcher 2...if by action game standards...dark souls...but for me...the witcher 2 wins hands down...good combat that gets tough on higher difficulties...good story...engaging characters...dark viceral world...and no clear cut right or wrong choices...i personally have loved the whole series...even before they were games

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#59 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Still gotta play Dark Souls but The Witcher 2 is incredible.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Depends. If you want roleplaying, strong characters and really well told story, than Witcher 2

If you're interested mostly in mechanical side of experience.then Dark Soul.

Personally I think Witcher 2 is much better RPG (not to mention ith as a lot better production values), which one is better game depends on your own taste.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="pcps360"] oh interesting, so, I played TW1, dull as hell, but I should know TW2 is duller because they are so similar even though I never TW2. Best logic in the world pcps360

How would you know how Demon's Soul is? It wasn't on the 360 and we all know your feelings towards other platforms ;) Still haven't gotten over Fable 3 flopping eh? Or KUF II getting cancelled on the 360? I prefer Demon's Soul to Dark Souls and I think the Witcher 2 is a better "RPG" than both.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Both are excellent but they are not the same and hardly comparable. Its like comparing Arma 2 and Battlefield. Different approach, different philosophy, different audience etc etc
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

The one that doesn't have a pathethic excuse for a story/plot. The one that actually has interesting characters and dialogue. The one where a single choice can change all the characters, quests and locations for the rest of the game

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 loosingENDS

The one that doesn't have a pathethic excuse for a story/plot. The one that actually has interesting characters and dialogue. The one where a single choice can change all the characters, quests and locations for the rest of the game

Darth_Kane

I will take the one that has 1000x more fun, challenging, long and exiting gameplay and depth in combat and world design than linear stages and cut scenes, scripted "story changes" that games had for decades anyway and boring combat

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

loosingENDS

I will take the one that has 1000x more fun, challenging, long and exiting gameplay and depth in combat and world design than linear stages and cut scenes, scripted "story changes" that games had for decades anyway and boring combat

Why do people keep saying dark souls gameplay is exciting? It's not. It's engaging but I don't really get excited playing it, NG and Bayonetta are exciting games. Also there's no depth in dark soul's combat, stop saying that. The depth comes from the amount of gear options available to you allowing you to handle situations completely differently.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

The Witcher 2 right now.

Until they fix the crappy P2P server system that inhabits Dark Souls, my opinion will not change.

I just beat the Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls and I only have the final boss left, and I barely have been summoned or summoned anyone else the entire game. The multiplayer is completely broken, especially since I live in Minnesota yet I keep being put into games with people in Japan. That should not be an issue. I should not be connecting with more people in Japan than in the US when I'm in the US itself. Especially when it takes 15+ minutes to be summoned or invade a world only to be put in a bad latency server because it's across the world.

The combat is better in Dark Souls, but honestly, it's not by much. I thoroughly enjoyed the combat in The Witcher 2, and I rarely felt those tedious moments like I did in Dark Souls with Blight town, Lost Izalith, etc.

So on that note, the story, characters, graphics, basically everything else in TW2 is better than Dark Souls. Once they fix the multiplayer(if they ever fix the mp) in Dark Souls, then maybe I'll make a second comparison.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ducati101
The Witcher 2 right now. Until they fix the crappy P2P server system that inhabits Dark Souls, my opinion will not change. I just beat the Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls and I only have the final boss left, and I barely have been summoned or summoned anyone else the entire game. The multiplayer is completely broken, especially since I live in Minnesota yet I keep being put into games with people in Japan. That should not be an issue. I should not be connecting with more people in Japan than in the US when I'm in the US itself. The combat is better in Dark Souls, but honestly, it's not by much. I thoroughly enjoyed the combat in The Witcher 2, and I rarely felt those tedious moments like I did in Dark Souls with Blight town, Lost Izalith, etc. So on that note, the story, characters, graphics, basically everything else in TW2 is better than Dark Souls. Once they fix the multiplayer(if they ever fix the mp) in Dark Souls, then maybe I'll make a second comparison.DragonfireXZ95
Don't why they went P2P with Dark Souls, Demon's Souls had dedicated servers.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]The Witcher 2 right now. Until they fix the crappy P2P server system that inhabits Dark Souls, my opinion will not change. I just beat the Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls and I only have the final boss left, and I barely have been summoned or summoned anyone else the entire game. The multiplayer is completely broken, especially since I live in Minnesota yet I keep being put into games with people in Japan. That should not be an issue. I should not be connecting with more people in Japan than in the US when I'm in the US itself. The combat is better in Dark Souls, but honestly, it's not by much. I thoroughly enjoyed the combat in The Witcher 2, and I rarely felt those tedious moments like I did in Dark Souls with Blight town, Lost Izalith, etc. So on that note, the story, characters, graphics, basically everything else in TW2 is better than Dark Souls. Once they fix the multiplayer(if they ever fix the mp) in Dark Souls, then maybe I'll make a second comparison.ducati101
Don't why they went P2P with Dark Souls, Demon's Souls had dedicated servers.

I think they were just cheap myself. Not sure if it was intended or because they just wanted to save a buck because Bandai is the publisher now instead of Atlus.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="illmatic87"]Neither. Dragon Age 2 rips them both.

Hahahaha, that's such a great joke. In fact, your joke is based upon a joke! (Hint: Dragon Age 2 is a joke)
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

loosingENDS

DS is more of a hack n slash it doesn't have a plot/story.

Witcher 2 has a lot more depth and feels more like an RPG then Demon Souls does.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ducati101
[QUOTE="illmatic87"]Neither. Dragon Age 2 rips them both.DragonfireXZ95
Hahahaha, that's such a great joke. In fact, your joke is based upon a joke! (Hint: Dragon Age 2 is a joke)

I would agree with him/her if they said Dragon Age Origins (PC version).
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#72 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Two completely different styles. Both very overrated however.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AdrianWerner

I will take the one that has 1000x more fun, challenging, long and exiting gameplay and depth in combatloosingENDS

You do realize none of those are facts, right? just your personal opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Dark souls has fantastic boss design and some fantastic art design. The lack of any significant story (which it isn't meant to have) whilst refreshing, sometimes left things a little disjointed.

The Witcher 2 wins out for me (and I have yet to complete it). The world is fantastic, along with the art design, and Geralt is up there as one of the better protagonists this gen, personally.

lundy86_4

I agree with everything you said. I'm on my second playthrough of the witcher 2 and I have to say it interests me more becasue of Geralt and story and the world they have created.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="illmatic87"]Neither. Dragon Age 2 rips them both.ducati101

I would agree with him/her if they said Dragon Age Origins (PC version).

Actually I'm gonna back this up. Dragon Age II is a good game. It doesn't deserve this flak its getting for some reason, so what, they reused some enviroment designs. The combat was pretty much the same but speed up, the characters were interesting, I liked having the main character voiced, the story they used was interesting and I dunno why everyone loves to hate on it.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

GD1551

Why do people keep saying dark souls gameplay is exciting? It's not. It's engaging but I don't really get excited playing it, NG and Bayonetta are exciting games. Also there's no depth in dark soul's combat, stop saying that. The depth comes from the amount of gear options available to you allowing you to handle situations completely differently.

I find the fact that you have to roll, prepare for a fight ( if it's a tought one ) having a stat system and weapon and armor upgrade system with elements to play around with bonuses...... I find all of that to give the character more customization into fighting the way you want in a fight ( with all the different weapons of all sizes ). It's exciting because your character is a bit fragile and the fights are fast. Making a mistake or 2 will cause you to die and that's where the excitement comes from. You don't even know much about Dark Souls or even Demon Souls to be saying that. I bet you say pokemon is like one of the most simple games where you only capture pokemons level them up and battle other trainers and friends.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

Different games folks. But I laughed when some dude claimed dark souls and witcher 2 are tied when it comes down to npcs. ARe you feaking kidding me? I mean I enjoyed dark souls but that game's "npcs" were a joke compared to...........even diablo.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Different games folks. But I laughed when some dude claimed dark souls and witcher 2 are tied when it comes down to npcs. ARe you feaking kidding me? I mean I enjoyed dark souls but that game's "npcs" were a joke compared to...........even diablo.

omenodebander

Lol,

The first dude (and a lot others) you find in Lordran -in the english version -reminds me of this guy:

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#79 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts
Dark Souls contains 100s of hours of gameplay and is one of the most rewarding games ever. Witcher 2 is 20 hours long. Dark Souls is better. It's not even close.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 loosingENDS

omenodebander

While NPCs in Witcher 2 have better dialogs etc, in Dark SOuls can all be killed and are way more interactive overall

So, a tie, though Dark SOuls way is the true RPG way, full freedom to do anything with NPCs

DS is more of a hack n slash it doesn't have a plot/story.

Witcher 2 has a lot more depth and feels more like an RPG then Demon Souls does.

tenaka2

Actually i feel the exact opposite, Witcher 2 feels linear and limited, everything seems very scripted and the hero is taken by the hand all the time, with scripted "choices" and cut scenes

Witcher 2 feels more like a JRPG, where you finish linear stages and move on, it definatly feels very very limited in RPG depth, games and RPGs are not movies where the hero does only what the developers want, in DS i can really role play than play the scripted role the developer wants me to

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Dark Souls contains 100s of hours of gameplay and is one of the most rewarding games ever. Witcher 2 is 20 hours long. Dark Souls is better. It's not even close.Master_ShakeXXX

FF13 is like a bazillion hours long of gameplay and is one of the most rewarding games ever, so it is better than Dark souls and Witcher 2.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

They are nothing alike. you cant compare them at all.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

loosingENDS

Well said. If I want a good story, I'll watch a ****in movie. Video games are the last place you go if you're looking for a truly great story populated with memorable characters.
jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]Dark Souls contains 100s of hours of gameplay and is one of the most rewarding games ever. Witcher 2 is 20 hours long. Dark Souls is better. It's not even close.GD1551

FF13 is like a bazillion hours long of gameplay and is one of the most rewarding games ever, so it is better than Dark souls and Witcher 2.

also, the witcher 2 is more like 35-40 hours long. and its easily worth 2 play throughs because depending on the choice you make in the first chapter the 2nd and 3rd chapters are COMPLETELY different.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 AdrianWerner

So, a tie, though Dark SOuls way is the true RPG way, full freedom to do anything with NPCs

loosingENDS

That's only possible when there's no real tight plot to tell. Witcher's aproach to freedom is closer to true RPG. It's still limited to several paths, but it's how Game Master would do it. Dark Soul is like RPG without Game Master.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Well said. If I want a good story, I'll watch a ****in movie. Video games are the last place you go if you're looking for a truly great story populated with memorable characters.

The story in a movie isn't interactive.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

Dark Souls contains 100s of hours of gameplay and is one of the most rewarding games ever. Witcher 2 is 20 hours long. Dark Souls is better. It's not even close.Master_ShakeXXX
uhhh my playthrough of the witcher 2 was a little over 50 hours and I barely touched any of the sidequests...
what choices did you make in your playthrough of the witcher 2? did you play the game on easy? even on easy not doing any sidequests the game should take 35-40 hours, but that's definitely not as much as dark souls.

demons souls is a lot easier than dark souls... dark souls is less frustrating though thanks to the check point bonfire system :)Yrkoon99
regarding bosses, definitely not. if you're talking about level design, then I'd feel a bit more inclined to agree.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]Dark Souls contains 100s of hours of gameplay and is one of the most rewarding games ever. Witcher 2 is 20 hours long. Dark Souls is better. It's not even close.GD1551

Well everyone has an opinion :P Btw, is FFXIII really that long? I heard that you basically run down this incredibly small linear path for the majority of the game. That must get boring after 100s of hours :?
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"] Well said. If I want a good story, I'll watch a ****in movie. Video games are the last place you go if you're looking for a truly great story populated with memorable characters.AdrianWerner

And the story and execution of it in a game is not of the same quality as a good movie or book.

In games i will go for gameplay, not story, because i play to have fun and depth in gameplay than replace a good book or movie

And Witcher 2 story is not interactive, it is scripted, you cant actually change the story anyway you like, only choose one scripted path which is always the same and cant be changed no matter how you play or what you do

also, the witcher 2 is more like 35-40 hours long. and its easily worth 2 play throughs because depending on the choice you make in the first chapter the 2nd and 3rd chapters are COMPLETELY different.

jettpack

What was so completly different ? They were different, but the major areas etc are still same

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Some-Mist

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Well said. If I want a good story, I'll watch a ****in movie. Video games are the last place you go if you're looking for a truly great story populated with memorable characters.loosingENDS

And the story and execution of it in a game is not of the same quality as a good movie or book.

In games i will go for gameplay, not story, because i play to have fun and depth in gameplay than replace a good book or movie

for the witcher, it's pretty close...since the game is based off the books by andrzej sapkowski. For me, the story in the first game blew away the 2nd game, but the witcher series has some of, if not the best storytelling out of any video game that I've played.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]The story in a movie isn't interactive.

Some-Mist

for the witcher, it's pretty close...since the game is based off the books by andrzej sapkowski. For me, the story in the first game blew away the 2nd game, but the witcher series has some of, if not the best storytelling out of any video game that I've played.

No, it is not close, you cant replace a book with a few dialog choices

There is a bit of a difference between 10 pages of dialogs and 300 pages of a book

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Some-Mist

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

No, it is not close, you cant replace a book with a few dialog choices

There is a bit of a difference between 10 pages of dialogs and 300 pages of a book

of course...but as an interactive story-telling medium it does the job almost flawlessly. Keep in mind, you said it doesn't match the story of a book OR movie.

a movie is typically 5 times shorter than a video game, and often times games (like MGS4 lol) have more storytelling than movies ..in addition to being interactive.

what choices did you make in the witcher 2 and how did your story unravel? did you use your save file from the original witcher game?
keep in mind, I voiced my opinion in this thread and I liked dark souls more...it's just that you souls fanboys often baffle me. almost as biased as it gets.

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

Master_ShakeXXX

No, just no...

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Cloud567kar

No, just no...

Nice argument. Film has been around for a century, and the medium has had plenty of time to perfect it's storytelling. Games have only been around for a few decades and haven't even come close to other mediums in the way of storytelling. Saying otherwise is being highly disrespectful to the older mediums and what people have achieved with them over the decades.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

Master_ShakeXXX

why stop at just movies? books are known to have great stories too

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Some-Mist

[QUOTE="Cloud567kar"]

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Well said. If I want a good story, I'll watch a ****in movie. Video games are the last place you go if you're looking for a truly great story populated with memorable characters.Master_ShakeXXX

No, just no...

Nice argument. Film has been around for a century, and the medium has had plenty of time to perfect it's storytelling. Games have only been around for a few decades and haven't even come close to other mediums in the way of storytelling. Saying otherwise is being highly disrespectful to the older mediums and what people have achieved with them over the decades.

but being different mediums, they set out to achieve different things. Movies hardly compare to books, but movies have a different goal. Just as videogames have different goals - a more interactive version of a movie. Of course videogames are still fairly new, but the mediums aren't too comparable. A movie is a less-detail oriented/more condensed version of a book, and a videogame is an interactive movie.

regardless, what's the best story from a game you've played? and what choices did you pick in the witcher 2?

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"][QUOTE="Cloud567kar"]

No, just no...

Some-Mist

but being different mediums, they set out to achieve different things. Movies hardly compare to books, but movies have a different goal. Just as videogames have different goals - a more interactive version of a movie. Of course videogames are still fairly new, but the mediums aren't too comparable. A movie is a less-detail oriented/more condensed version of a book, and a videogame is an interactive movie.

regardless, what's the best story from a game you've played? and what choices did you pick in the witcher 2?

Best game story I've witnessed... probably Silent Hill 2, the original Metal Gear Solid, Metroid Prime, or Nier. Never said I played Witcher 2. I posted the average completion time which I've gathered from numerous people and sources.
juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud567kar"]

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Well said. If I want a good story, I'll watch a ****in movie. Video games are the last place you go if you're looking for a truly great story populated with memorable characters.Master_ShakeXXX

No, just no...

I thought the Witcher was based on the books of a Polish author. Film is often very shotty in story telling compared to mediums such as books, which have been around a lot longer. The condensed two hour format and rampant commercialization have made movies pretty hit or miss. When people say "the book was better", they aren't lying. (See, pretty easy to be dismissive of a medium...)

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 loosingENDS

of course...but as an interactive story-telling medium it does the job almost flawlessly. Keep in mind, you said it doesn't match the story of a book OR movie.

a movie is typically 5 times shorter than a video game, and often times games (like MGS4 lol) have more storytelling than movies ..in addition to being interactive.

what choices did you make in the witcher 2 and how did your story unravel? did you use your save file from the original witcher game?
keep in mind, I voiced my opinion in this thread and I liked dark souls more...it's just that you souls fanboys often baffle me. almost as biased as it gets.

Some-Mist

While i did like Withcer 2, i just found the gameplay a lot of linear and boring and the world and monster design and combat very basic, so i cant consider it anywhere close to Dark Souls just because of the story and two major choices that change the 3rd chapter a bit

I played it once, so i have only seen the aspect of joining the elves and did not import Withcer 1 saves, i had those erased for a long time

I plan to play the other way on the 360 version, since i played low on my non gaming PC and will look far better on 360, so i am saving the 2ond playthrough for xbox

Nice argument. Film has been around for a century, and the medium has had plenty of time to perfect it's storytelling. Games have only been around for a few decades and haven't even come close to other mediums in the way of storytelling. Saying otherwise is being highly disrespectful to the older mediums and what people have achieved with them over the decades.juno84

I thought the Witcher was based on the books of a Polish author. Film is often very shotty in story telling compared to mediums such as books, which have been around a lot longer. The condensed two hour format and rampant commercialization have made movies pretty hit or miss. When people say "the book was better", they aren't lying. (See, pretty easy to be dismissive of a medium...)

It is like that

Book >>>>> movie >>>>>>>>>>>> game

as far as stories go