Blizzard: Diablo 3 requires constant internet connection

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

From IGN: Link

As the Diablo III beta nears, Blizzard announced its anticipated action-role-playing game will require you to be online at all times to play. The characters you can create in Diablo III, up to a limit of 10, will be stored on Blizzard's servers, and therefore require a constant internet connection to access. This applies to all modes of the game, from co-op to player-versus-player to solo play.

According to Rob Pardo, executive producer of Diablo III, this was done mainly to combat the hacking present in previous versions of Diablo. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate."

"Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing," said Pardo. "You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated." This character can then hop into multiplayer games and trade items with others through battle net.

This system functions essentially like an MMO, where if your connection is interrupted during a game you'll be dropped back out to the login screen. It differs from what Blizzard did with StarCraft II because though the Wings of Liberty required an initial online activation, the campaign could still be played in an offline mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great, looks like Ubisoft is no longer the only one pushing this crappy DRM. Really disappoints me to see what should be a great game have this requirement. I expect some people on here to defend them (because it's Blizzard), but I seriously think it's uncalled for. Thoughts?

InflictedOwned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 InflictedOwned
Member since 2008 • 354 Posts

10 characters? Oh lawdy, why are we going to need more than one of every class?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
Didn't Starcraft II have this? Or am I missing something?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Well they're giving their reason that people will cheat so they need that constant connection to "check." It doesn't bother me but I could understand why someone would be upset with this kind of DRM. Yeah, people are going to rage over this, that's for sure. :P
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Just keep any off-line charecters (solo) from going online, and keep them only usable in /SP?

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Why not just separate SP and MP characters? :?

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

Vesica_Prime
Yup, seems like a very stupid move by Blizzard and i do not approve.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elann2008

Vesica_Prime

For some, that's double the work. Double the grind. The unique thing about it is, you can play your character in SP and then use that badass character online. Some people want that.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Wow that's just like Ubisofts stuff. I mean it doesn't affect me personally but it's a pretty low move.

EABGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EABGamer
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

yeah thats all good and all but i just heard them say on that gamespot video that there finishing up on a number of game systems so they can release the beta......crossing fingers for ps3 diablo 3

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Elann2008

Wow that's just like Ubisofts stuff. I mean it doesn't affect me personally but it's a pretty low move.

GD1551
Well, in Ubisoft's defense, they are no longer practicing the DRM business model like they have before. But yeah, it's an "old" Ubisoft" move by Blizzard here. :P
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Elann2008
Well, in Ubisoft's defense, they are no longer practicing the DRM business model like they have before. But yeah, it's an "old" Ubisoft" move by Blizzard here. :P

I swear I saw someone say they were going to try using it again.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

soulitane

Knock on wood. Not that I buy many Ubisoft games anyways. Just keep it away from the Assassin's Creed games and "I Am Alive" if it's ever made. :P Oh, and any future Rainbow Six titles. :P

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I mean... StarCraft II works exactly the same. Why would Blizzard change that if both games are run off of Battle.net. People might be shocked or complain but I hardly see why. My desktop is always connected to the internet anyway.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
interesting *drops diablo 3 from to buy list*
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Elann2008
I mean... StarCraft II works exactly the same. Why would Blizzard change that if both games are run off of Battle.net. People might be shocked or complain but I hardly see why. My desktop is always connected to the internet anyway.NAPK1NS
True.
interesting *drops diablo 3 from to buy list*delta3074
Why would you do that? Don't you have a constant internet connection anyways? It's not like this authentication DRM stuff is going to kill your performance or anything. Unless you have a terrible ISP provider? :)
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 delta3074
[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]I mean... StarCraft II works exactly the same. Why would Blizzard change that if both games are run off of Battle.net. People might be shocked or complain but I hardly see why. My desktop is always connected to the internet anyway.Elann2008
True.
interesting *drops diablo 3 from to buy list*delta3074
Why would you do that? Don't you have a constant internet connection anyways? It's not like this authentication DRM stuff is going to kill your performance or anything. Unless you have a terrible ISP provider? :)

firstly, it's draconian and buying this is giving them a thumbs up i am not selfish and i am not just thinknig of myself i am thinking about all the people out there who really want to play this game but don't have an internet connection (it's more than you think) not everyone can afford 15 quid a month for the internet at the moment, secondly, i share a single connection with my wife and she uses it 85% of the time and we cannot afford a router at the moment and we will probably have to drop the internet as well at some point in the future, i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and unfortunately for blizzard i can think of plenty of other games to buy instead that don't require a constant internet connection.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] True. [QUOTE="delta3074"]interesting *drops diablo 3 from to buy list*delta3074

firstly, it's draconian and buying this is giving them a thumbs up i am not selfish and i am not just thinknig of myself i am thinking about all the people out there who really want to play this game but don't have an internet connection (it's more than you think) not everyone can afford 15 quid a month for the internet at the moment, secondly, i share a single connection with my wife and she uses it 85% of the time and we cannot afford a router at the moment and we will probably have to drop the internet as well at some point in the future, i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and unfortunately for blizzard i can think of plenty of other games to buy instead that don't require a constant internet connection.

Well, you definitely bring up a fair and real perspective that most of America faces in terms of internet connection. You're absolutely right when you put it like that. Like someone said, there's got to be an underlying plan by Blizzard with this DRM. :P

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="NAPK1NS"] True. [QUOTE="delta3074"]interesting *drops diablo 3 from to buy list*delta3074

*oh my god* I hate when people use that term but just like Jim sterling if its my choice im gonna come down on the side of the publishers and developers they are sick of seeing their product pirated, and cheated at online enmasse so I say let them do their drm it might not work even half the time but it atleast keeps the people that aren't very good at pirating from doing so and thats one possibly one more sale for the game.

though I find it odd how your talking about i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and how you cannot afford a router *30 bucks* and you may have to drop your net connection yet you can still afford games...*by the way i wasn't calling you a pirate I was simply explaining that Id have to agree with the developers and publishers about drm*

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

*oh my god* I hate when people use that term but just like Jim sterling if its my choice im gonna come down on the side of the publishers and developers they are sick of seeing their product pirated, and cheated at online enmasse so I say let them do their drm it might not work even half the time but it atleast keeps the people that aren't very good at pirating from doing so and thats one possibly one more sale for the game.

though I find it odd how your talking about i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and how you cannot afford a router *30 bucks* and you may have to drop your net connection yet you can still afford games...*by the way i wasn't calling you a pirate I was simply explaining that Id have to agree with the developers and publishers about drm*

WilliamRLBaker

DRM only encourages piracy and restricts paying customers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

Birthday present for the kids? There are special occasions like that where you set money aside for the kid, even if its $5 or $10. A router is something that you can do without so there is absolutely no reason to get one if you are struggling to where you can barely pay the bills.

Also I'm skipping Diablo 3 because this is Draconian DRM plain and simple. My internet likes to drop randomly and being booted out of a game I would play by myself is absolutely ridiculous to say the least.

Even if the game didn't have that the DRM other stuff worrying to say the least. Who thought it was a smart idea to encourage gold sellers? The appeal of Diablo games has always been about building up your character and getting a sense of progression. If some 12 year old can buy his way to the top it completely defeats the purpose of the game and will ruin PvP for those guys who want to play it.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

You mean that i can't play Diablo 3 single player with not internet like Diablo 2...??That is just horrible.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 delta3074

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Why would you do that? Don't you have a constant internet connection anyways? It's not like this authentication DRM stuff is going to kill your performance or anything. Unless you have a terrible ISP provider? :)WilliamRLBaker

actually william i cannot afford to buy games either, have you not noticed there nothing really new on my GT? i have been abusing gamestaions 10 day full return for some time now just to buy games, i have actually gone back to playing oblivion and Gta 4, i will get a little money for my birthday and i will probably have to trade in all my games to get the next full price title i want, that was going to be diablo 3 but with only one game and the possibility of having to lose my internet connection i am not going to take the risk on a game that requires a constant internet connection, so i guess i will be getting deus x for the 360 instead and like i said, this isn't just about me, i am agamer will and from where i come from (the UK) we show solidarity with other gamers and i know ahell of a lot of people who where looking foreward to this but just don't have an internet connection anymore thanks to draconian and over the top budget cuts, benefit cuts and housing benefit cuts by our goverment.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

It's not a big deal for me, though i can see why some people will be pissed.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
I like that you can use sp characters for mp, but I wish they'd find another way. It's not that I have a problem with a constant connection, I'm just afraid that THEY will have problems. If they can guarantee that no one's singleplayer experience gets interrupted because of this then whatever, I just don't think they can make that promise.
Avatar image for garrett_daniels
garrett_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 garrett_daniels
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts

The unique thing about it is, you can play your character in SP and then use that badass character online. Some people want that.

Elann2008

Except that this is not single player; you have to be connected to their servers the whole time to play. It's no more single player than someone soloing in an MMORPG with instancing.

Rather than finding a way of handling the two they have simply removed single player altogether.

i am not going to take the risk on a game that requires a constant internet connection, so i guess i will be getting deus x for the 360 insteaddelta3074

Deus Ex: Human Revolution does not require a constant internet connection. It has Steam's usual login authentication but you can use offline mode when desired, and if your internet cuts out during play you won't be kicked out of the session. I'm not particularly a fan of this approach but it's quite flexible compared to the solution Ubisoft and now Blizzard have favoured--especially since you can actually play the game if your internet connection and/or the Steam servers have some unplanned downtime.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Well, in Ubisoft's defense, they are no longer practicing the DRM business model like they have before. But yeah, it's an "old" Ubisoft" move by Blizzard here. :PElann2008

Knock on wood. Not that I buy many Ubisoft games anyways. Just keep it away from the Assassin's Creed games and "I Am Alive" if it's ever made. :P Oh, and any future Rainbow Six titles. :P

Driver: San Francisco is going to have the "always online" DRM as well. Ubisoft only required internet activation for AC: Brotherhood, but now they're going back to their "more sinister" DRM.

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
only PC version or console version will also have this drm ?
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Right. I have too many games to play for this year anyway.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Awesome...love battlenet with WoW and SC2 so this is perfect for me. I love having that security! A+ Blizzard once more.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
Another game I won't buy. Pirates get the clean version of this game with no DRM, so it encourages piracy. Also piracy is not my fault, don't make me suffer for someone else's sins.
Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts

This is why I have a console. At least I don't need to be connected all the time to play a game. :P

ZarbonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZarbonX
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

i have cable wifi

my cvomputers on 24/7 why would i care about this?

i also got wifi on my iphone and thats even on 24/7 internet

how are ppl complaining about this? MY PHONE is online 24/7 let alone my computer DUH unbelievable

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ZombieKiller7

i have cable wifi

how are ppl complaining about this? MY PHONE is online 24/7 let alone my computer DUH unbelievable

ZarbonX
That's not the point. Some people don't have good internet, so it will lower sales for them. Also if pirates get the clean version, then there is benefit to piracy, and it encourages it. To say nothing of consumer rights, which went the way of the dodo long ago. I dunno maybe I am a "gaming hippie" or something but I believe in clean games with no DRM sold on disk. It worked 10 years ago, why doesn't it work now? Just corporate greed nothing else.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I dunno maybe I am a "gaming hippie" or something but I believe in clean games with no DRM sold on disk. It worked 10 years ago, why doesn't it work now? Just corporate greed nothing else.ZombieKiller7

Because times are changing. Do you think this isn´t coming to consoles in the future as well?

It´s already starting with some companies figthing the used games market and taking measures against it,next gen it will be much worse.

At least on the PC,you can do something about it,on the consoles,you´re stuck with what the devs do.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

Should they start doing this for xbox and wii games to? Because those get pirated like crazy as well.

ZarbonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZarbonX
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

[QUOTE="ZarbonX"]

i have cable wifi

ZombieKiller7

That's not the point. Some people don't have good internet, so it will lower sales for them. Also if pirates get the clean version, then there is benefit to piracy, and it encourages it. To say nothing of consumer rights, which went the way of the dodo long ago. I dunno maybe I am a "gaming hippie" or something but I believe in clean games with no DRM sold on disk. It worked 10 years ago, why doesn't it work now? Just corporate greed nothing else.

if pirates get a clean version how does it encourage them? to be a pirate you would need a fast internet connection thats probably on 24/7 to even download a file the size of diablo 3 so people with fast internet would have no reason not to just buy the game since it wouldn't make a difference for them

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
Well, definitely not buying this now. Since when did companies think this type of DRM is acceptable?
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I don't mind and hopefully they can manage the cheaters/hacks more efficiently because of it.
ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

Well, this puts a damper on my anticipation for this game.

My internet's sketchy, so I'd hate to keep getting interrupted because of a random hiccup :(

Gonna have to really think about this one now...

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]I dunno maybe I am a "gaming hippie" or something but I believe in clean games with no DRM sold on disk. It worked 10 years ago, why doesn't it work now? Just corporate greed nothing else.Arach666

Because times are changing. Do you think this isn´t coming to consoles in the future as well?

It´s already starting with some companies figthing the used games market and taking measures against it,next gen it will be much worse.

At least on the PC,you can do something about it,on the consoles,you´re stuck with what the devs do.

On PC can't do nothing about it except get the crack. On console, they will have alot of pissed off troops in the gulf who bought the game and can't play it cuz no internet. Either way it's bad for everybody. I don't want to praise piracy but it's basically the only way to enforce consumer rights now, maybe buy the game and get the crack for it, I don't think that's illegal, I'm not sure. Still why should people have to do that. This makes me not want to give these developers money, they don't deserve it.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"][QUOTE="ZarbonX"]

i have cable wifi

ZarbonX

if pirates get a clean version how does it encourage them? to be a pirate you would need a fast internet connection thats probably on 24/7 to even download a file the size of diablo 3 so people with fast internet would have no reason not to just buy the game since it wouldn't make a difference for them

Get it from a friend on disk. You still have friends don't you?
JohnDead80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JohnDead80
Member since 2011 • 294 Posts
Blizzard games on PC make consoles look like happy meal toys.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

i never thought i would say this

but ill be getting Diablo 3 on consoles and enjoy it offline like its meant to be played

Diablo 1/2 is meh online imo, "hurr durr baal run for the 324359435830583405380 time"

JohnDead80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JohnDead80
Member since 2011 • 294 Posts
[QUOTE="AncientDozer"]I was never hyped to begin with. I never liked Diablo 2 that much. Diablo 1 will forever remain my favorite of the bunch. At any rate, I hold Blizzard in contempt. They love pulling crap like this and while a FEW people call foul, most generally seem to bend over and take it. I mean, they all decided to spend, what, $20-30 on a re-colored ordinary mount that was just sparkly? They accept the constant ret conning, but that's a whole other can of baked beans. My point is, I'm not a strong proponent of Blizzard and would rather live without those money-grubbing milkmen. Who, by the way, decided to marry Activision. Listen. You guys can either lay down and let them stomp on your other cheek or you can let the developers know you're angry. Don't just whine on game spot forums. Take it to the companies themselves. Send them letters, go to their forums and rouse, with courtesy and civility, ire against these things. Take it to the organizations that support video games and, yes, let the news outlets know you're furious.

Blizzard deserves it. They always give us the core of what we want, people complained about Starcraft 2 but the game is out and is a huge success with gamers. If theres one game company gamers know to just blindly follow and deserves it it's blizzard. They are easily the greatest devs in the world.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Blizzard games on PC make consoles look like happy meal toys. JohnDead80

consoles can have the damn game

i dont think any real Dialblo fans care anymore