Blizzard: Diablo 3 requires constant internet connection

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

[QUOTE="AncientDozer"]So then pirates, hackers, and thieves will get around Blizzards thing, too? Then why bother?Mograine

You either don't know anything about Blizzard games, or are just trying to troll here. Read my post above.

You are wrong. For you, me and many other people, they are only about mp. For millions of others, their sp is very important and, sometimes, the only thing that counts.

If you want to go further with your baseless assumptions, please provide reliable statistics proving beyond any doubt that over 80% of people who buy Blizzard games only play mp.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Good news in the sense that I won't have to redo a character from scratch if i want to play online like in diablo 2 which turned me off from it but not even giving players the option to make a offline only character is not good only hurts the legit consumer.
Baxhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 Baxhand
Member since 2010 • 865 Posts

Thank GOD!!!!! I love this!!! On this type of game!

Maybe it will keep the dupping / hackers out of the game!!!

"I have 1000 Stones of Jordans......Need ten?"

Losers.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

You are wrong. For you, me and many other people, they are only about mp. For millions of others, their sp is very important and, sometimes, the only thing that counts.

If you want to go further with your baseless assumptions, please provide reliable statistics proving beyond any doubt that over 80% of people who buy Blizzard games only play mp.

milannoir

I'm wrong? Why the heck would developers care about people cheating or hacking in the single player? That's the point I'm trying to get through and the miscomprehension that's going on about Blizzard games.

Baxhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Baxhand

[QUOTE="milannoir"]

Mograine

I'm wrong? Why the heck would developers care about people cheating or hacking in the single player? That's the point I'm trying to get through and the miscomprehension that's going on about Blizzard games.

They can just lock their rooms...Single player engaged.

Baxhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Baxhand

Thank GOD!!!!! I love this!!! On this type of game!

Maybe it will keep the dupping / hackers out of the game!!!

"I have 1000 Stones of Jordans......Need ten?"

Losers.

Baxhand

Does this make your MULE characters sad pandas????

I hope so!!!!!!

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 milannoir

[QUOTE="milannoir"]

Mograine

You said "there are no standalone single portions in Starcraft2 and Diablo3". You also implied in many posts in this thread and others, that nobody bought or played those games for the sp, or that their proportion was insignificant, and thus that the comparison with AC2, a sp game, was invalid.

And I repeat, you are wrong. I personally know people who bought SC2 essentially for the campaign, and had no intention to venture online. Furthermore, some of those people couldn't even be considered 100% pure sp gamers, since I know them from other RTS games' mp.

And I will repeat it one more time, just to see you fail to answer again : provide reliable statistics proving that a huge majority of people do, in fact, buy SC and Diablo purely for the mp.

Baxhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Baxhand

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="milannoir"]

milannoir

You said "there are no standalone single portions in Starcraft2 and Diablo3". You also implied in many posts in this thread and others, that nobody bought or played those games for the sp, or that their proportion was insignificant, and thus that the comparison with AC2, a sp game, was invalid.

And I repeat, you are wrong. I personally know people who bought SC2 essentially for the campaign, and had no intention to venture online. Furthermore, some of those people couldn't even be considered 100% pure sp gamers, since I know them from other RTS games' mp.

And I will repeat it one more time, just to see you fail to answer again : provide reliable statistics proving that a huge majority of people do, in fact, buy SC and Diablo purely for the mp.

All is well...If you have a PC and no Internet. You're doing it wrong and enjoy your paper weight.

This will be 100% welcome to all the MULTI-PLAYER guys. Atleast the honest ones.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

i am not a fan of restrictions in the name of stopping piracy.. there will always be a way around it

Baxhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Baxhand

i am not a fan of restrictions in the name of stopping piracy.. there will always be a way around it

weezyfb

If they are any where close to WOW security. I'm all for it. I can understand why some would disagree though.

EDIT: The only way I could see where it would become a problem for someone. Is if they had a bandwidth cap in place from thier ISP.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#162 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

*oh my god* I hate when people use that term but just like Jim sterling if its my choice im gonna come down on the side of the publishers and developers they are sick of seeing their product pirated, and cheated at online enmasse so I say let them do their drm it might not work even half the time but it atleast keeps the people that aren't very good at pirating from doing so and thats one possibly one more sale for the game.

though I find it odd how your talking about i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and how you cannot afford a router *30 bucks* and you may have to drop your net connection yet you can still afford games...*by the way i wasn't calling you a pirate I was simply explaining that Id have to agree with the developers and publishers about drm*

WilliamRLBaker

You do realize that there are a LOT of people all over the world who still don't have access to "always on" internet don't you?

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Mograine

milannoir

I never said people don't buy Blizzard games for SP, I said that if they do, they have got Blizzard games wrong. I'd like you to quote me on "the proportion of people playing the SP games is insignificant".

You're basing your posts on pulling things out of my mouth. If you don't mind I'll ignore your posts from now on if you don't even take the time to read mine before responding to them.

I didn't fail to answer anything, for I didn't make that claim in the first place.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 milannoir

[QUOTE="milannoir"]

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

Baxhand

All is well...If you have a PC and no Internet. You're doing it wrong and enjoy your paper weight.

This will be 100% welcome to all the MULTI-PLAYER guys. Atleast the honest ones.

I am a MP and honest guy. I am tired of all the time I lost arguing IRL and in forums against people trying to justify piracy.

I still think this is a dick move by Blizzard, because they are slapping (hard) in the face a demographic I am not a part of, but that still represents many people : those who enjoy sp in Diablo or RTS games, and have unreliable internet connections. And there might be many more of these people than you know.

Edit : just read Mograine's last post. That they get the game wrong is entirely your opinion. There is a sp mode, is there not? If not for people who want to play sp, what for? Tutorial maybe? Let's be serious. Just admit that the people who aren't like you or me still deserve to be respected by Blizzard. From a selfish point of view, I could very well not give a ****. How hard is it for you to acknowledge and respect these people's tastes and existence?

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Mograine

Mograine, I realize you fancy Blizzard and fancy yourself as one of the elite, but just because you think you rack up more hours and play harder and know whatever ins and out doesn't mean those who have dissenting opinions have not spent as much or more time as you in a given game. Or that their opinions are invalid. If anything, it shows a sort of bias that robs some credibility from your point.

And he isn't talking about that, you realize; he's on a tangent though why he quoted that particular part is anyone's guess. His point, if you cared to actually examine it, is that there are plenty more people who care about a single player experience than a multiplayer and that they valued the single player aspect OF Diablo. You DO remember you were insisting that the only "real" way to play the game was online, right?

Seriously, though, Mograine. . people who don't kiss the ground Blizzard walks on may still have actual points that are good.AncientDozer

People are raging over something they have completely misunderstood. The "but Ubisoft" comparison proves that.

Blizzard have scratched whole games because they weren't considered of high enough quality to be released with their mark. Whole games. Now that they are thinking of a way to get rid of the exploiters/dupers that infested the Diablo 2 online, people only looks at the negative sides of their decision.

Let me ask you, for people who only plays the SP games, is it a huge deal to be connected for what the SP will last? Realistically, how many do you know that want to play Diablo 3, that only want to play the SP, and that don't have a connection available?

Also, what makes you think that people can't simply patch the game so that it doesn't require a connection? You can do that with SC2.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Mograine

Uh, Starcraft 2's single player? About that? It's an Online Always DRM. The only "integration" beyond being forced to log online in order to access it for the achievements is, well, the achievements. You can message your friends, I guess, too but it's a large price to pay for such a little reward. Just because you don't play it doesn't mean it isn't there or that people don't like it (If you didn't realize starcraft 2 had a single player portion, you ought to check it out; it's not bad).

Diablo 3 is just capitalizing on the fact not enough ire was drawn from this "online only or watered down game" approach of Starcraft 2 but regardless, people did buy the game for single player. I know I did. So I don't get you. Blizzard is not all about multiplayer. It began with single player. It may be becoming all about multiplayer/online now, I guess, which is kind of sad and even less reason to support them.

And at the heart of blizzard's efforts is to curb piracy, hacking, and cheating. That's all it is. No different from Ubisoft who wants to protect its franchises from piracy, cheating, and hacking.

Except Ubisoft is doing this for SINGLE PLAYER GAMES. Blizzard is doing this for MULTIPLAYER GAMES. There's a flippin huge difference between cheating and hacking in a single player and cheating and hacking in a multiplayer.

It doesn't matter if YOU bought this for the SP. Blizzard blue posters stated times and times again their games are all about the social interaction. Even the SP is integrated with the MP. The hints to this are all over their games.

If you can't get this I don't know what to say. Simply ignore the game and it's a win/win for everyone.

That's a very pretentious thing to say. Only you know how it was meant to be played? Excuse me but you're not me and you're not the boss of me and you sure as hell didn't design the game so you haven't any right to speak down to anyone about how a game was meant to be played. Savvy?

Explain the reasoning behind Blizzard then. Explain why they even signed a contract with Facebook. I'll prepare my popcorn in the meanwhile.

I'm trying insanely hard not to be mean but dude? Bro? Buddy? Starcraft 2 has an extensive single player campaign whose only impact on "multiplayer" is achievements. You can play it offline, sort of, but it's a watered down thing that amounts more to a demo than an actual real game.

I mean the SP is still intrinsically related to the MP.

And what? You just said the only impact the SP has on MP are the achievements then you go ahead and say the offline part is a watered down thing? I am confused.

AncientDozer

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

Uh, Starcraft 2's single player? About that? It's an Online Always DRM.

AncientDozer

Actually its not. You need the net to register your game and game key once. Then you can play single player + multiplayer vs AI offline. But when you are playing offline you can not score any achievements.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#170 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Diablo 3 looks terrible. The only thing that appealed to me was the first gameplay trailer they released on 07, but everything revealed since then has looked really awful. The writing, the animation, just everything looks bad. And for godssake, why would they release a monetary AH and PvP arena in a Diablo game? They have no clue what their fans want, so they just appeal to a huge audience. Any time to you appeal to a large audience, you're going to have to water down anything that can make the game deep. The goes for writing, gameplay, etc...it has to be simplified. I was hoping they'd make it more complex than D2 but it's actually appearing to be even more watered down. Ugh. Hate the current Blizzard, haven't liked a game from them since TBC.....before they merged with Acti-Blizzard. I think I see the problem. And it's not just me, everyone I know feels this way.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Diablo 3 looks terrible. The only thing that appealed to me was the first gameplay trailer they released on 07, but everything revealed since then has looked really awful. The writing, the animation, just everything looks bad. And for godssake, why would they release a monetary AH and PvP arena in a Diablo game? They have no clue what their fans want, so they just appeal to a huge audience. Any time to you appeal to a large audience, you're going to have to water down anything that can make the game deep. The goes for writing, gameplay, etc...it has to be simplified. I was hoping they'd make it more complex than D2 but it's actually appearing to be even more watered down. Ugh. Hate the current Blizzard, haven't liked a game from them since TBC.....before they merged with Acti-Blizzard. I think I see the problem. And it's not just me, everyone I know feels this way.Lethalhazard

... So wait whats wrong with pvp arena? Diablo 2's pvp system was nonexistent to say the least.. It wasn't strategic.. And only meant anything in hardcore mode.. In which it consisted often times of killing people and taking their gear.. The game was no balanced around pvp.. I think this is a great idea to make pvp enjoyable and challenging for the peopel rather than a sloppy side note which the second was.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#174 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Why not just separate SP and MP characters? :?

Dante2710

Yup, seems like a very stupid move by Blizzard and i do not approve.

Agreed, but 'tis only a minor inconvenience in what is destined to be the greatest game ever made.

PixelAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#175 PixelAddict
Member since 2008 • 2237 Posts

Why not just separate SP and MP characters? :?

Vesica_Prime

They did this (sep SP and MP) in Diablo II, and the big problem was that you either did one or the other, but I never met anyone who did both. Because you couldn't share gear between your single player char and your online char, so what was the point?

People seem to bemoan the online-all-the-time aspect of this, but having played WAY too many Diablo II hours than I care to remember, I say it's perfect. When I played, I only played online (but in private password protected games) anyways. There was no reason to play single player offline. People are coming up with crazy hypotheticals to complain (what if the internet connection goes out?, what if i'm on a plane?), but... really... how often does that apply?

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#179 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts

[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"]Diablo 3 looks terrible. The only thing that appealed to me was the first gameplay trailer they released on 07, but everything revealed since then has looked really awful. The writing, the animation, just everything looks bad. And for godssake, why would they release a monetary AH and PvP arena in a Diablo game? They have no clue what their fans want, so they just appeal to a huge audience. Any time to you appeal to a large audience, you're going to have to water down anything that can make the game deep. The goes for writing, gameplay, etc...it has to be simplified. I was hoping they'd make it more complex than D2 but it's actually appearing to be even more watered down. Ugh. Hate the current Blizzard, haven't liked a game from them since TBC.....before they merged with Acti-Blizzard. I think I see the problem. And it's not just me, everyone I know feels this way.sSubZerOo

... So wait whats wrong with pvp arena? Diablo 2's pvp system was nonexistent to say the least.. It wasn't strategic.. And only meant anything in hardcore mode.. In which it consisted often times of killing people and taking their gear.. The game was no balanced around pvp.. I think this is a great idea to make pvp enjoyable and challenging for the peopel rather than a sloppy side note which the second was.

PvP should never be the focus of Diablo is what I'm trying to say -- based on Diablo 2's horrible PvP. I would rather them just focus on PvE content ;p. I don't think this game will be balanced at all with PvP so it's annoying if arena gives out good stuff. Because that means to get the good stuff, you'll have to wade through a really imbalanced system to get items. If WoW is any indicator about how Blizzard can balance an online RPG with PvP....then I think Diablo 3 shouldn't have it at all.

Well I guess I don't mind if it's just a small part of the game......the focus will undoubtedly be on the PvM.

PixelAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 PixelAddict

I did both. Why not? When I want to play by myself, I could. When I wanted to play with others, I could. And, as far as I remember, my single player character didn't get deleted after a time of inactivity. I believe I lost trang Owl's avatar because of that after leaving gaming behind the real world for a spell.AncientDozer

Hey that's actually a good point. I don't even want to think about the gear I let go to the abyss... here's to hoping there's no character expiry this go around.

Oh, and now I know someone who actually did both. When I played SP, it was online, in a pass-protected game. Because playing hardcore single player was pointless.

Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Temporius
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts
To everyone wondering who would ever attempt to play this game without a persistent internet connection, keep in mind that even your ISP's equipment is not going to have 100% uptime. There will be outages, lag, and other connection problems, and depending upon how strict the 'always online' is, there may be a lot of people who are suddenly unable to play.
PixelAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 PixelAddict

[QUOTE="PixelAddict"]

[QUOTE="AncientDozer"]I did both. Why not? When I want to play by myself, I could. When I wanted to play with others, I could. And, as far as I remember, my single player character didn't get deleted after a time of inactivity. I believe I lost trang Owl's avatar because of that after leaving gaming behind the real world for a spell.AncientDozer

Hey that's actually a good point. I don't even want to think about the gear I let go to the abyss... here's to hoping there's no character expiry this go around.

Oh, and now I know someone who actually did both. When I played SP, it was online, in a pass-protected game. Because playing hardcore single player was pointless.

I was never really into challenge, myself. I liked exploring, story, and beating things up to make myself feel good. That's not to say I shirk away from fighting people in competitive matches but when it came to games like Diablo or Elder Scrolls or, I don't know, bayonetta. I just wanted to live the high life as a hero doing flashy things.

I didn't explain myself clearly. I never entered into PvP battle by choice, and chose to climb level and find gear in hardcore for the sheer exhilaration of knowing permanent death lurked around every single corner in hell difficulty. So my "single player" experience was playing solo in a private game, interrupted by the occasional co-op high-level mission/run with a friend or two.

caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#184 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts

10 characters? Oh lawdy, why are we going to need more than one of every class?

InflictedOwned
Expansion will have 3-4 new characters that they didn't want to add?
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
Blizzard: Diablo 3 requires constant internet connection in other words blizzard thinks PC gamers are pirates :P
Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

Blizzard: Diablo 3 requires constant internet connection in other words blizzard thinks PC gamers are pirates :PJohn_Read

More like Blizzard thinks people on B.Net will use bots and maphack all day erry day.

NachoXtreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 NachoXtreme
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Question:

-How many players can play at a time in a Xbox 360?

-Gracias, your friend me :D

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#188 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Question:

NachoXtreme

necrothread. look at the date on the top left of posts before you bump a thread