Blizzard: Diablo 3 requires constant internet connection

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

If this is true, then I won't buy the game anymore. At least we'll have some alternatives like Torchlight II and Grim Dawn.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

If this is true, then I won't buy the game anymore. At least we'll have some alternatives like Torchlight II and Grim Dawn.

RyuRanVII

Grim Dawn looks good, im sure the devs are both happy about how stupid Blizzard are

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

RyuRanVII

They'll end up being big and then screw us over when they become a big company just like all the others :|

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

[QUOTE="RyuRanVII"]

NoodleFighter

They'll end up being big and then screw us over when they become a big company just like all the others :|

yeah just like Notch, oh wait, no Notch hasnt sold out just yet, i dont care about the minecraft kinect thing, the next Minecraft update looks awesome

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
[QUOTE="AncientDozer"]I was never hyped to begin with. I never liked Diablo 2 that much. Diablo 1 will forever remain my favorite of the bunch. At any rate, I hold Blizzard in contempt. They love pulling crap like this and while a FEW people call foul, most generally seem to bend over and take it. I mean, they all decided to spend, what, $20-30 on a re-colored ordinary mount that was just sparkly? They accept the constant ret conning, but that's a whole other can of baked beans. My point is, I'm not a strong proponent of Blizzard and would rather live without those money-grubbing milkmen. Who, by the way, decided to marry Activision. Listen. You guys can either lay down and let them stomp on your other cheek or you can let the developers know you're angry. Don't just whine on game spot forums. Take it to the companies themselves. Send them letters, go to their forums and rouse, with courtesy and civility, ire against these things. Take it to the organizations that support video games and, yes, let the news outlets know you're furious.

And for those of us that are aware of Blizzard but like the changes? Server Side Everything = No Real cheats like Dupes/Hacks ect that plagued Diablo 2. No Black Market currency = item worth now down to time and currency instead of time.
Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Consolized confirm yo.AncientDozer
How is always online and paying for the auction house consolization? If anything, Blizzard's been doing that for a while. It just means that playing on the console isn't a bad decision.

Not consolized, but still a stupid decision. I'm still probably getting this because I'll only be playing online anyways, but ya, effectively Blizzard just took out single player from this game. Very, very bad move IMO. Also, this really isn't going to do much for the hacking. The only reason D2 was hacked so much was because a lot of stuff was stored client-side due to the bandwidth considerations of the time. Now that that's not really a problem, the hacking problem should almost fix itself. This DRM isn't going to help at all. Besides, who really cares if people have some fun with their single player?

Edit: also just realized whoever made this press statement had no idea how the system in Diablo 2 worked. Single player characters can only connect through LAN or Open B.Net, which has no security at all. Closed B.Net characters are what are mainly used for multiplayer and stored on Blizzard's servers. The hacking had nothing to do with people editting their save files. Real good job there Blizzard.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
Its because of the real currency auction house. Players can spend and earn real money. And they do not want people to cheat it.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Birdy09
Its because of the real currency auction house. Players can spend and earn real money. And they do not want people to cheat it. Led_poison
Indeed, and I dont see a problem with this, if anything it makes ingame Auction Houses a more tangible thing to waste your life on. instead of the current system of nothing but self-nerdy ego.
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 rpgs_shall_rule

Its because of the real currency auction house. Players can spend and earn real money. And they do not want people to cheat it. Led_poison

Can someone link this to me? Wtf.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="NAPK1NS"] True.
interesting *drops diablo 3 from to buy list*delta3074
Why would you do that? Don't you have a constant internet connection anyways? It's not like this authentication DRM stuff is going to kill your performance or anything. Unless you have a terrible ISP provider? :)

firstly, it's draconian and buying this is giving them a thumbs up i am not selfish and i am not just thinknig of myself i am thinking about all the people out there who really want to play this game but don't have an internet connection (it's more than you think) not everyone can afford 15 quid a month for the internet at the moment, secondly, i share a single connection with my wife and she uses it 85% of the time and we cannot afford a router at the moment and we will probably have to drop the internet as well at some point in the future, i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and unfortunately for blizzard i can think of plenty of other games to buy instead that don't require a constant internet connection.

If you can't afford a router or internet then perhaps you should consider the costs of gaming and set your priorities straight. I hope you're not paying to game and forgetting that food also costs money, as children and wives and yourself all require food last time I checked.
ZarbonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ZarbonX
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

i really hope they are upgrading battle.net 2.0 though its a crapfest currently battle.net 1.0 was much more social like IRC chat an much more fun place to play online than 2.0 in starcraft 2

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Frostbite24

[QUOTE="JohnDead80"]Blizzard games on PC make consoles look like happy meal toys. HaloinventedFPS

consoles can have the damn game

i dont think any real Dialblo fans care anymore

You're a real Diablo fan? Someone that just said the multiplayer is crap? All right buddy.
omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

torchlight 2, here I come

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Birdy09

omenodebander
Meanwhile reality strikes and Diablo III will still likely be a much higher quality game, that plays like it would with or without the cash trading.
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Frostbite24

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

consoles can have the damn game

i dont think any real Dialblo fans care anymore

AncientDozer

You're a real Diablo fan? Someone that just said the multiplayer is crap? All right buddy.

While I don't agree with his idea of "real fan", I can't say I agree with your apparent implication that a fan has to like the multiplayer.

I'm saying that if you're a fan of the series that actually played all the features of the games then you wouldn't scoff at Diablo's multiplayer component and pretend to speak for all the "real" Diablo fans by saying we're no longer interested in the game.

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 rpgs_shall_rule

If you can't afford a router or internet then perhaps you should consider the costs of gaming and set your priorities straight. I hope you're not paying to game and forgetting that food also costs money, as children and wives and yourself all require food last time I checked.Frostbite24

What about people who live in different parts of the world where Internet is more expensive? Or if the Internet connection is spotty? What about college students and such?

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Frostbite24

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"] If you can't afford a router or internet then perhaps you should consider the costs of gaming and set your priorities straight. I hope you're not paying to game and forgetting that food also costs money, as children and wives and yourself all require food last time I checked.rpgs_shall_rule

What about people who live in different parts of the world where Internet is more expensive? Or if the Internet connection is spotty? What about college students and such?

I was not speaking about the general world population, I was speaking directly to the user who was saying they were having trouble getting by financially but implied that he was still paying for gaming.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#71 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Why don't they just let you make two different kinds of characters, an online one, and an offline one?...

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Led_poison

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]Its because of the real currency auction house. Players can spend and earn real money. And they do not want people to cheat it. rpgs_shall_rule

Here you go

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Never been that huge a fan of Diablo, but still, I didn't even touch the online for the first two games. Really pushes Diablo 3 to the back of my "Must-buy" list.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Actually, it's Blizzard earning real money. An AH purchase will effectively work similarly to purchasing MS points for someone else.

About the constant internet connection.... It's not a big deal for me as my internet is quite stable. That being said, This DRM solution did prove to be an issue a couple of times when playing AC2, so out of experience, I consider it negative.

Also, this will render me unable to play it on my laptop while on the go, I refuse to pay for slowass, limited capacity mobile internet.

At least, I'll still be able to during class, should I feel so inclined ;)

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

[QUOTE="omenodebander"]

Birdy09

Meanwhile reality strikes and Diablo III will still likely be a much higher quality game, that plays like it would with or without the cash trading.

Matters little. The loot heavy games are not my fav genre or even close to it. I play them for an hour or two and then quit for weeks, even months. D3 can have all the cinematics and jazzz for all I care, but in the end, I will pick the game that won't require a persistent "ONLINE" connection.

So, yeah, D3's got the high budget and all, but try not to act like I give a flying crap about yet another clickfest. I only want one, Torchlight 2 (and grim dawn is looking like a possible candidate too)

Chiill man, this is Just for the lulz :P

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Led_poison

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]Its because of the real currency auction house. Players can spend and earn real money. And they do not want people to cheat it. Filthybastrd

Actually, it's Blizzard earning real money. An AH purchase will effectively work similarly to purchasing MS points for someone else.

About the constant internet connection.... It's not a big deal for me as my internet is quite stable. That being said, This DRM solution did prove to be an issue a couple of times when playing AC2, so out of experience, I consider it negative.

Yes but theres always the option of cashing out

How do I cash out from the currency-based auction house?
As an advanced feature, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service to their Battle.net account. Once this has been completed, proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house can be deposited into their third-party payment service account. "Cashing out" would then be handled through the third-party payment service. Note that this process will be subject to applicable fees charged by Blizzard and the third-party payment service. Also, any proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house that have been deposited into the Battle.net account will not be transferrable to the third-party payment service account. Not all regions will support this advanced feature at launch. Region-specific details, as well as details regarding which third-party payment services will be supported and the fee that Blizzard will charge for the cash-out process, will all be provided at a later date.

Blizzard

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 rpgs_shall_rule

[QUOTE="rpgs_shall_rule"]

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]Its because of the real currency auction house. Players can spend and earn real money. And they do not want people to cheat it. Led_poison

Here you go

Pay to win, here we go!

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Filthybastrd

Yes but theres always the option of cashing out

[QUOTE="Blizzard"]

How do I cash out from the currency-based auction house?
As an advanced feature, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service to their Battle.net account. Once this has been completed, proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house can be deposited into their third-party payment service account. "Cashing out" would then be handled through the third-party payment service. Note that this process will be subject to applicable fees charged by Blizzard and the third-party payment service. Also, any proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house that have been deposited into the Battle.net account will not be transferrable to the third-party payment service account. Not all regions will support this advanced feature at launch. Region-specific details, as well as details regarding which third-party payment services will be supported and the fee that Blizzard will charge for the cash-out process, will all be provided at a later date.

Led_poison

Ah, did'nt catch that bit.

I'm still firmly against pay to win features in in non f2p games. Especially in this case, where you actually lose money if you don't make a sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Kind of a shame.. Except for the fact Diablo 2 was really only meant to be played online.. It was the type of game if you played singleplayer you were only really playing half the game.. It was about cooperative play.. I don't see this effecting me THAT much simply due to the fact that its 2011.. And just about eery gamer out there has a broadband connection.. Though it would be nice to have a offline mode.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Why would you do that? Don't you have a constant internet connection anyways? It's not like this authentication DRM stuff is going to kill your performance or anything. Unless you have a terrible ISP provider? :)

firstly, it's draconian and buying this is giving them a thumbs up i am not selfish and i am not just thinknig of myself i am thinking about all the people out there who really want to play this game but don't have an internet connection (it's more than you think) not everyone can afford 15 quid a month for the internet at the moment, secondly, i share a single connection with my wife and she uses it 85% of the time and we cannot afford a router at the moment and we will probably have to drop the internet as well at some point in the future, i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and unfortunately for blizzard i can think of plenty of other games to buy instead that don't require a constant internet connection.

If you can't afford a router or internet then perhaps you should consider the costs of gaming and set your priorities straight. I hope you're not paying to game and forgetting that food also costs money, as children and wives and yourself all require food last time I checked.

i very strongly suggest that you go back and read my last post, and don't ever question my ability as a father or a husband,food for my wife and kids comes before anything else, i have spent the grand total of about 20 quid on gaming in the last 3 months
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
I don't like this. What happens if my internet should not work? Oh too bad, you cannot even play the SP game. -.-
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]

[QUOTE="rpgs_shall_rule"]

rpgs_shall_rule

Here you go

Pay to win, here we go!

:| No that feature does only one thing. Gives convience to the purchaser.. Outside of that they can still trade and get the same items as some one else.. The only thing this does is just post it up for automation.. Though I would have liked to be a purchasable one time dlc more than anything else... Even then I wouldn't get it.. Simply because I don't think its necessary from regular old trading in the game.. Especially now that there is a real currency.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#83 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Consolized confirm yo.AncientDozer
How is always online and paying for the auction house consolization? If anything, Blizzard's been doing that for a while. It just means that playing on the console isn't a bad decision.

I thought this was just the routine bash consoles because something bad happened to PC games.
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Frostbite24
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="delta3074"]firstly, it's draconian and buying this is giving them a thumbs up i am not selfish and i am not just thinknig of myself i am thinking about all the people out there who really want to play this game but don't have an internet connection (it's more than you think) not everyone can afford 15 quid a month for the internet at the moment, secondly, i share a single connection with my wife and she uses it 85% of the time and we cannot afford a router at the moment and we will probably have to drop the internet as well at some point in the future, i work damn hard to support my wife and kids and unfortunately for blizzard i can think of plenty of other games to buy instead that don't require a constant internet connection.delta3074

i very strongly suggest that you go back and read my last post, and don't ever question my ability as a father or a husband,food for my wife and kids comes before anything else, i have spent the grand total of about 20 quid on gaming in the last 3 months

Done, I reread it and it still concerns me, i'm sure it's just the words you chose but I'm just looking out for a fellow gamer. Glad to hear you have it all under control.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Led_poison

I'm still firmly against pay to win features in in non f2p games. Especially in this case, where you actually lose money if you don't make a sale.

Filthybastrd

meh, the only thing this could affect is PvP which we havent heard from. InDiablo 2 the market was controlled by untrustworthy sites. Blizzard has just taken control of the market and made it official, destroying those sites and providing a legitimate avenue for real money transactions.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 delta3074
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Frostbite24"] If you can't afford a router or internet then perhaps you should consider the costs of gaming and set your priorities straight. I hope you're not paying to game and forgetting that food also costs money, as children and wives and yourself all require food last time I checked.

Done, I reread it and it still concerns me, i'm sure it's just the words you chose but I'm just looking out for a fellow gamer. Glad to hear you have it all under control.

not that post, the post i wrote replying to william after that, you know, the one where i explain that i have had to go back to playing oblivion an gta 4,lol
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Led_poison

I don't like this. What happens if my internet should not work? Oh too bad, you cannot even play the SP game. -.-danish-death

If its anything like SC2, you will be able to authenticate a PC, alllowing you to play offline.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Frostbite24
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="delta3074"]i very strongly suggest that you go back and read my last post, and don't ever question my ability as a father or a husband,food for my wife and kids comes before anything else, i have spent the grand total of about 20 quid on gaming in the last 3 monthsdelta3074

not that post, the post i wrote replying to william after that, you know, the one where i explain that i have had to go back to playing oblivion an gta 4,lol

I apologize, I didn't read through this entire thread and didn't see your previous post. Just saw the comment from you that I replied to.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 delta3074
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Frostbite24"] Done, I reread it and it still concerns me, i'm sure it's just the words you chose but I'm just looking out for a fellow gamer. Glad to hear you have it all under control.

I apologize, I didn't read through this entire thread and didn't see your previous post. Just saw the comment from you that I replied to.

it's cool mate, i am sorry, just had a rough day is all, jumping the gun a litlle bit, thanks for your concern anyway, it's nice to see that on here to be honest with you, again i apologise, it's been a bit boring playing the same old games over and over again, according to the missus we should be clear of debt by the end of the year ,hopefully if i trade in all my games i can get deus ex which should last me till skyrim, gears and COD will have to wait till next year, i am not giving up on gaming though unless i absolutely have to for the kids sake.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

Led_poison

meh, the only thing this could affect is PvP which we havent heard from. InDiablo 2 the market was controlled by untrustworthy sites. Blizzard has just taken control of the market and made it official, destroying those sites and providing a legitimate avenue for real money transactions.

Coop has a competetive side as well to be honest.

I dislike schemes like these out of principle, because people become motivated to unintentionally spend large sums of money due to lacking transparency.

It's schemes like these that makes kids burn 1000$ from their mothers' creditcards on Farmville ;)

It will have no effect on me whatsoever, but Blizzard is certainly taking advantage of people's impulsiveness and that leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#92 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts
interesting *drops diablo 3 from to buy list*delta3074
You serious?
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

And just when i was getting interested in Diablo 3.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Led_poison

Coop has a competetive side as well to be honest.

I dislike schemes like these out of principle, because people become motivated to unintentionally spend large sums of money due to lacking transparency.

It's schemes like these that makes kids burn 1000$ from their mothers' creditcards on Farmville ;)

It will have no effect on me whatsoever, but Blizzard is certainly taking advantage of people's impulsiveness and that leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

Filthybastrd

Again meh. Theres always the gold auction house if you really NEED that one item.

As for kids burning $1000 of dollars, this happens everywhere even on XBL. Blizzard actually has a pretty good system in place in WoW, in which you can always cancel transaction from your CC and Blizzard then takes away the item you bought since the transaction failed.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

If there is any legitimate reaon to hate on PC gaming it's this.

This new 'game must be online' trend alot of new PC games are having is almost as bad as MS requireing payment to play games online, except it's not for every game--yet.

When I buy a game I feel like I to know I haveto access to all the parts of the game*without any hindges or limits attached*, otherwise why does it still cost full price to have game?

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts

Why not just separate SP and MP characters? :?

Vesica_Prime
Yeah, I'd love to be able to play D3 SP if my internet is out for whatever reason =\
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 delta3074

This new 'game must be online' trend alot of new PC games are having is almost as bad as MS requireing payment to play games online, except it's not for every game--yet.

When I buy a game I feel like I to know I haveto access to all the parts of the game*without any hindges or limits attached*, otherwise why does it still cost full price to have game?

casharmy
i can still play my games offline without having to pay for gold on the xbox 360, so it's a lot worse than having to pay MS to play your games online, just had to sneak a dig at MS didn't you? but i agree with your second part, i want to be able to play a games campaign without requiring an internet connection to do so, i play offline anyway, cancelled my gold the other day because i just didn't bother using it, gaming online is not my cup of tea at all, guess i am just too old schooll but then i have been gaming for 26 years this year,it's also why i am sticking to games that focus on offline play like skyrim and deus ex, maybe witcher 2 if i can afford it next year, i may play games like COD and gears but not until they are much cheaper than the 40 quid you pay brand new.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

casharmy
How likely are you to be on your PC when it has no internet access....?