Achievements Vs. Trophies

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pepsikola001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pepsikola001
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

Achievements and trophies don't make a big difference in the gameplay experience to me but they are neat features to have. Which rewards system do you prefer and why?I can't say because i only have a 360 but i am getting a ps3 soon.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
Doesn't matter anymore.
slarkyslark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slarkyslark
Member since 2011 • 399 Posts
Achievements, the original. Trophies are just a copy.
ABCarmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ABCarmine
Member since 2011 • 1937 Posts
Really doesn't matter unless you brag about that stuff. I guess I like the leveling system for PS3. But I like the Achieement basis more than Trophies. Honestly, the only time i've ever bragged about an achievement is the one where you go through 30 rounds without dying On Splinter Cell:Conviction.
TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

Aren't they the same?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
How difficult is it for people to understand? They are the exact same thing!
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
trophy sounds Tall and with platinum
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

They're the same thing.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

What ever makes me look more leet to people

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
They're the same thing. Achievements are better incorporated though. But I gotta give it to Achievements because Trophies is just another thing from the Sony copy-machine.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

don't see how everyone call them the same but their vastly different to me, imo trophies are way better, you got your bronze, silver and gold and platinum trophies, i think thats pretty cool and also you get kind of a rpg mechanic as the more trophies you gain the higher level you are.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I like that the Trophies utilize the Platinum concept, that is, the ability to see what retail games my friends completed at 100% with the quick glance (see my trophy card/gamerscore card in my sig, or turn on PS3 click on friendslist and hit R1.). I also like the leveling up system, as it's kind of an RPG aspect, which is neat.

As you can see, I have over 100,000 Gamerscore and I'm a Level 22 PSN gamer.

The downside of the improvements over Gamerscore that Trophies are newer, and therefore not in older games that haven't been patched. I don't like that old PS3 games had no trophies.

I do like that achievements are in all 360 games (that's great and I do appreciate that fact as I've been getting achievements since 360 2005 launch), but I do wish there was a SIMPLE number, similar to the Platinum concept above, that I could see my FRIENDS fully completed game progress with a glance. Say my buddy Jimmy, who has 34 1000/1000 Gamerscores. There is a quick glance ability on my personal dashboard for me, but that also includes XBLA games, and I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about my friends.

It's INCREDIBLY Hard to explain this concept on System Wars as I found in the past either people deliberately wanted to argue, or perhaps didn't own a PS3 but pretended they did. Some users can then make a simple idea very hard to convey, unfortunately.:( I really hope I articulated this simple concept. It could be a checkmark, anything, for the 720 even. It is certainly true, I can slowly scroll through a buddies list and manually count how many games he completed at 1000/1000, but that takes longer obviously, as there is no quick glance completed number for me to see for my friends.

This simple idea I would like to see in the 360, or perhaps in the 720.

Ultimately though, Trophies and Achievements do and function the same way....so it's no biggie. Explaining what seems like a simple idea about seems to be incredibly hard though in the past.

In SW older days, we gamers had to argue about the games in strange terms, and many times people didn't believe you. So one aspect is now with these Achievements and Trophies, we can prove we played a game, which is nice.

I've been playing since before the NES existed. :P

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Both are useless features invented to give average gamers the impression they have teh skill.

Avatar image for coolnessmancool
coolnessmancool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coolnessmancool
Member since 2005 • 1405 Posts

Theyre the exact same thing.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
They are the same.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I prefer trophies.
UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

They are near-identical. That said, I like trophies more because of the Platinum :)

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I prefer trophies.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
P-a-l-a-t-i-n-u-u-m-m-m-
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
pointless comoparison, both are good at measuring how GOOD you are.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Might as well be asking "Do you like the PS3 or the 360 better?"

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
How difficult is it for people to understand? They are the exact same thing!R3FURBISHED
How difficult is it to understand that they aren't? You can get 1000 Gamerscore by getting 10 points in 100 games. But you can only get a platinum trophy by actually finishing all trophies for one game. That's why the collector in me prefers trohpies. It's kind of satisfying to me to get a platinum in a game I enjoyed. On the 360 you "only" get 1000 points which you would get anyway, like already mentioned, by playing other games. Of course they aren't needed and the lack of achievement system won't stop me from getting the Wii U but they are nice to have.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]How difficult is it for people to understand? They are the exact same thing!nethernova
How difficult is it to understand that they aren't? You can get 1000 Gamerscore by getting 10 points in 100 games. But you can only get a platinum trophy by actually finishing all trophies for one game. That's why the collector in me prefers trohpies. It's kind of satisfying to me to get a platinum in a game I enjoyed. On the 360 you "only" get 1000 points which you would get anyway, like already mentioned, by playing other games. Of course they aren't needed and the lack of achievement system won't stop me from getting the Wii U but they are nice to have.

Apparently you're one of the people that can't seem to understand that they do the exact same thing.

Do something in game *BLIP* You earned an Achievement/Trophy! WHOOPIE!

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
they are both the same..but since i game mainly on ps3... trophies. I actually prefer the 'leveling' system
pepsikola001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pepsikola001
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

I like that the Trophies utilize the Platinum concept, that is, the ability to see what retail games my friends completed at 100% with the quick glance (see my trophy card/gamerscore card in my sig, or turn on PS3 click on friendslist and hit R1.). I also like the leveling up system, as it's kind of an RPG aspect, which is neat.

As you can see, I have over 100,000 Gamerscore and I'm a Level 22 PSN gamer.

The downside of the improvements over Gamerscore that Trophies are newer, and therefore not in older games that haven't been patched. I don't like that old PS3 games had no trophies.

I do like that achievements are in all 360 games (that's great and I do appreciate that fact as I've been getting achievements since 360 2005 launch), but I do wish there was a SIMPLE number, similar to the Platinum concept above, that I could see my FRIENDS fully completed game progress with a glance. Say my buddy Jimmy, who has 34 1000/1000 Gamerscores. There is a quick glance ability on my personal dashboard for me, but that also includes XBLA games, and I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about my friends.

It's INCREDIBLY Hard to explain this concept on System Wars as I found in the past either people deliberately wanted to argue, or perhaps didn't own a PS3 but pretended they did. Some users can then make a simple idea very hard to convey, unfortunately.:( I really hope I articulated this simple concept. It could be a checkmark, anything, for the 720 even. It is certainly true, I can slowly scroll through a buddies list and manually count how many games he completed at 1000/1000, but that takes longer obviously, as there is no quick glance completed number for me to see for my friends.

This simple idea I would like to see in the 360, or perhaps in the 720.

Ultimately though, Trophies and Achievements do and function the same way....so it's no biggie. Explaining what seems like a simple idea about seems to be incredibly hard though in the past.

In SW older days, we gamers had to argue about the games in strange terms, and many times people didn't believe you. So one aspect is now with these Achievements and Trophies, we can prove we played a game, which is nice.

I've been playing since before the NES existed. :P

SolidTy

Thanks SolidTy for giving me a deep and helpful answer that actually pertains to exactly what i was asking. not many posters like you these days it seems. geez the arrogance in this place ( :

Bladex2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bladex2k
Member since 2003 • 2755 Posts

their both the samething so no point in picking either

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
They're the same thing, there are some differences in Trophies have platinum trophies and a leveling system whilst achievements are available for every game.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Trophies. To get a platinum in most games you have to actually be good.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
They're more or less the same thing; achievements are better implemented though.
DrWin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DrWin
Member since 2011 • 217 Posts

Trophies use an undeniably better system. Not admitting this is just lieing to yourself. Don't really care for them either way, just saying, Trophies improved on the acheivement system, it's an evolution of what was done on the 360.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Trophies use an undeniably better system. Not admitting this is just lieing to yourself. Don't really care for them either way, just saying, Trophies improved on the acheivement system, it's an evolution of what was done on the 360.

DrWin
If trophies were an evolution, why do you have to manually sync your trophies everytime while you don't have to do a thing for the achievement system? Isn't that... a step backwards?
DrWin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrWin
[QUOTE="DrWin"]

Stevo_the_gamer
If trophies were an evolution, why do you have to manually sync your trophies everytime while you don't have to do a thing for the achievement system? Isn't that... a step backwards?

That's PSN's fault. The trophy system is still superior, the leveling up, the platinum trophy etc. This is undeniable. That's like saying Acheivements are better because some launch PS3 games don't have trophies. That doesn't make any sense, that doesn't make achievements better. It makes checking them easier, less annoying.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

At the core they are both the same. Sony's just has a leveling system that is comparable to an RPG and Microsoft uses the cIassic arcade scoring system.

Neither is better than the other.

We can argue that achievements were more well thought out because every single game on the 360 supports them when that's not the case for the PS3.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="DrWin"]

DrWin

That's PSN's fault. The trophy system is still superior, the leveling up, the platinum trophy etc. This is undeniable. That's like saying Acheivements are better because some launch PS3 games don't have trophies. That doesn't make any sense, that doesn't make achievements better. It makes checking them easier, less annoying.

That's the software's fault--perhaps if the user interface to the PS3 wasn't so inferior to the XBox 360 interface, the minor issues with Trophies wouldn't be that big of deal. How about when you earn a trophy but didn't know what it was for, how is it manually going to your entire trophy list instead of just pressing the X360 guide button and taking you straight there? :]

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

They are the same thing so it really doesen't matter.

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

They're both useless

DrWin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrWin

[QUOTE="DrWin"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]If trophies were an evolution, why do you have to manually sync your trophies everytime while you don't have to do a thing for the achievement system? Isn't that... a step backwards?Stevo_the_gamer

That's the software's fault--perhaps if the user interface to the PS3 wasn't so inferior to the XBox 360 interface, the minor issues with Trophies wouldn't be that big of deal. How about when you earn a trophy but didn't know what it was for, how is it manually going to your entire trophy list instead of just pressing the X360 guide button and taking you straight there? :]

Ya the 360 interface is way faster with trophies. The XMB is super fast on it's own, but because trophies came later you can tell it's not as speedy. However my point stands, if a new company entered the gaming market and was looking to add trophies/achievementes to their system, they wouldn't use that nor the all 360 games have achievementes as a reason for choosing achievementes over trophies. They'd simply take the better system, which is trophies.
killeracer0210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 killeracer0210
Member since 2009 • 1475 Posts

I'd say Achievements because i don't own a PS3.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

they are the same other than achievements are in every game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'd say they make a big difference in the gameplay experience.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

anyone else reminded of that Legendary ps_john thread?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Trophies, it has a RPG like leveling up system compared to the 360, where all you have is a number.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

both are essentially the same but dressed up in diffrent costumes, no matter how cows and lems adress it.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Same thing, but since I only have the PS3 I'll go with trophies :P

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Achievements.

Points are way better than bronze,silver,gold and platinum trophies.
Never liked trophies.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Trophies because I like the bronze/silver/gold/platinum divisions compared to the points system, but I like how achievements are listed in the order from the last one you recieved when viewing them.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Trophies for me but I wish the level up system offered something more (example - every level reached unlocks something like a theme, or an avatar).
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I prefer the achievement system in Conduit 2.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

but I like how achievements are listed in the order from the last one you recieved when viewing them.

catfishmoon23

That's the same with trophies, you can view them either a-z or most recently unlocked.

MasonLovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MasonLovak
Member since 2011 • 741 Posts
I don't care for either. I like achievements slightly more.