Achievements Vs. Trophies

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pepsikola001 (67 posts) -

Achievements and trophies don't make a big difference in the gameplay experience to me but they are neat features to have. Which rewards system do you prefer and why?I can't say because i only have a 360 but i am getting a ps3 soon.

#2 Posted by khoofia_pika (16745 posts) -
Doesn't matter anymore.
#3 Posted by slarkyslark (399 posts) -
Achievements, the original. Trophies are just a copy.
#4 Posted by ABCarmine (1937 posts) -
Really doesn't matter unless you brag about that stuff. I guess I like the leveling system for PS3. But I like the Achieement basis more than Trophies. Honestly, the only time i've ever bragged about an achievement is the one where you go through 30 rounds without dying On Splinter Cell:Conviction.
#5 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

Aren't they the same?

#6 Posted by R3FURBISHED (12396 posts) -
How difficult is it for people to understand? They are the exact same thing!
#7 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -
trophy sounds Tall and with platinum
#8 Posted by Silverbond (16130 posts) -

They're the same thing.

#9 Posted by NoodleFighter (9237 posts) -

What ever makes me look more leet to people

#10 Posted by Sgt_Crow (5342 posts) -
They're the same thing. Achievements are better incorporated though. But I gotta give it to Achievements because Trophies is just another thing from the Sony copy-machine.
#11 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

don't see how everyone call them the same but their vastly different to me, imo trophies are way better, you got your bronze, silver and gold and platinum trophies, i think thats pretty cool and also you get kind of a rpg mechanic as the more trophies you gain the higher level you are.

#12 Posted by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

I like that the Trophies utilize the Platinum concept, that is, the ability to see what retail games my friends completed at 100% with the quick glance (see my trophy card/gamerscore card in my sig, or turn on PS3 click on friendslist and hit R1.). I also like the leveling up system, as it's kind of an RPG aspect, which is neat.

As you can see, I have over 100,000 Gamerscore and I'm a Level 22 PSN gamer.

The downside of the improvements over Gamerscore that Trophies are newer, and therefore not in older games that haven't been patched. I don't like that old PS3 games had no trophies.

I do like that achievements are in all 360 games (that's great and I do appreciate that fact as I've been getting achievements since 360 2005 launch), but I do wish there was a SIMPLE number, similar to the Platinum concept above, that I could see my FRIENDS fully completed game progress with a glance. Say my buddy Jimmy, who has 34 1000/1000 Gamerscores. There is a quick glance ability on my personal dashboard for me, but that also includes XBLA games, and I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about my friends.

It's INCREDIBLY Hard to explain this concept on System Wars as I found in the past either people deliberately wanted to argue, or perhaps didn't own a PS3 but pretended they did. Some users can then make a simple idea very hard to convey, unfortunately.:( I really hope I articulated this simple concept. It could be a checkmark, anything, for the 720 even. It is certainly true, I can slowly scroll through a buddies list and manually count how many games he completed at 1000/1000, but that takes longer obviously, as there is no quick glance completed number for me to see for my friends.

This simple idea I would like to see in the 360, or perhaps in the 720.

Ultimately though, Trophies and Achievements do and function the same way....so it's no biggie. Explaining what seems like a simple idea about seems to be incredibly hard though in the past.

In SW older days, we gamers had to argue about the games in strange terms, and many times people didn't believe you. So one aspect is now with these Achievements and Trophies, we can prove we played a game, which is nice.

I've been playing since before the NES existed. :P

#13 Posted by milannoir (1663 posts) -

Both are useless features invented to give average gamers the impression they have teh skill.

Avatar image for coolnessmancool
#14 Posted by coolnessmancool (1405 posts) -

Theyre the exact same thing.

#15 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -
They are the same.
#16 Posted by coolkid93 (6732 posts) -
I prefer trophies.
#17 Posted by UnrealLegend (5888 posts) -

They are near-identical. That said, I like trophies more because of the Platinum :)

#18 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I prefer trophies.

#19 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -
P-a-l-a-t-i-n-u-u-m-m-m-
#20 Posted by delta3074 (19951 posts) -
pointless comoparison, both are good at measuring how GOOD you are.
#21 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

Might as well be asking "Do you like the PS3 or the 360 better?"

#22 Posted by nethernova (5511 posts) -
How difficult is it for people to understand? They are the exact same thing!R3FURBISHED
How difficult is it to understand that they aren't? You can get 1000 Gamerscore by getting 10 points in 100 games. But you can only get a platinum trophy by actually finishing all trophies for one game. That's why the collector in me prefers trohpies. It's kind of satisfying to me to get a platinum in a game I enjoyed. On the 360 you "only" get 1000 points which you would get anyway, like already mentioned, by playing other games. Of course they aren't needed and the lack of achievement system won't stop me from getting the Wii U but they are nice to have.
#23 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]How difficult is it for people to understand? They are the exact same thing!nethernova
How difficult is it to understand that they aren't? You can get 1000 Gamerscore by getting 10 points in 100 games. But you can only get a platinum trophy by actually finishing all trophies for one game. That's why the collector in me prefers trohpies. It's kind of satisfying to me to get a platinum in a game I enjoyed. On the 360 you "only" get 1000 points which you would get anyway, like already mentioned, by playing other games. Of course they aren't needed and the lack of achievement system won't stop me from getting the Wii U but they are nice to have.

Apparently you're one of the people that can't seem to understand that they do the exact same thing.

Do something in game *BLIP* You earned an Achievement/Trophy! WHOOPIE!

#24 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
they are both the same..but since i game mainly on ps3... trophies. I actually prefer the 'leveling' system
#25 Posted by pepsikola001 (67 posts) -

I like that the Trophies utilize the Platinum concept, that is, the ability to see what retail games my friends completed at 100% with the quick glance (see my trophy card/gamerscore card in my sig, or turn on PS3 click on friendslist and hit R1.). I also like the leveling up system, as it's kind of an RPG aspect, which is neat.

As you can see, I have over 100,000 Gamerscore and I'm a Level 22 PSN gamer.

The downside of the improvements over Gamerscore that Trophies are newer, and therefore not in older games that haven't been patched. I don't like that old PS3 games had no trophies.

I do like that achievements are in all 360 games (that's great and I do appreciate that fact as I've been getting achievements since 360 2005 launch), but I do wish there was a SIMPLE number, similar to the Platinum concept above, that I could see my FRIENDS fully completed game progress with a glance. Say my buddy Jimmy, who has 34 1000/1000 Gamerscores. There is a quick glance ability on my personal dashboard for me, but that also includes XBLA games, and I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about my friends.

It's INCREDIBLY Hard to explain this concept on System Wars as I found in the past either people deliberately wanted to argue, or perhaps didn't own a PS3 but pretended they did. Some users can then make a simple idea very hard to convey, unfortunately.:( I really hope I articulated this simple concept. It could be a checkmark, anything, for the 720 even. It is certainly true, I can slowly scroll through a buddies list and manually count how many games he completed at 1000/1000, but that takes longer obviously, as there is no quick glance completed number for me to see for my friends.

This simple idea I would like to see in the 360, or perhaps in the 720.

Ultimately though, Trophies and Achievements do and function the same way....so it's no biggie. Explaining what seems like a simple idea about seems to be incredibly hard though in the past.

In SW older days, we gamers had to argue about the games in strange terms, and many times people didn't believe you. So one aspect is now with these Achievements and Trophies, we can prove we played a game, which is nice.

I've been playing since before the NES existed. :P

SolidTy

Thanks SolidTy for giving me a deep and helpful answer that actually pertains to exactly what i was asking. not many posters like you these days it seems. geez the arrogance in this place ( :

#26 Posted by Bladex2k (2755 posts) -

their both the samething so no point in picking either

#27 Posted by fabz_95 (15424 posts) -
They're the same thing, there are some differences in Trophies have platinum trophies and a leveling system whilst achievements are available for every game.
#28 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

Trophies. To get a platinum in most games you have to actually be good.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#29 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44862 posts) -
They're more or less the same thing; achievements are better implemented though.
#30 Posted by DrWin (217 posts) -

Trophies use an undeniably better system. Not admitting this is just lieing to yourself. Don't really care for them either way, just saying, Trophies improved on the acheivement system, it's an evolution of what was done on the 360.

#31 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44862 posts) -

Trophies use an undeniably better system. Not admitting this is just lieing to yourself. Don't really care for them either way, just saying, Trophies improved on the acheivement system, it's an evolution of what was done on the 360.

DrWin
If trophies were an evolution, why do you have to manually sync your trophies everytime while you don't have to do a thing for the achievement system? Isn't that... a step backwards?
#32 Posted by DrWin (217 posts) -
[QUOTE="DrWin"]

Stevo_the_gamer
If trophies were an evolution, why do you have to manually sync your trophies everytime while you don't have to do a thing for the achievement system? Isn't that... a step backwards?

That's PSN's fault. The trophy system is still superior, the leveling up, the platinum trophy etc. This is undeniable. That's like saying Acheivements are better because some launch PS3 games don't have trophies. That doesn't make any sense, that doesn't make achievements better. It makes checking them easier, less annoying.
#33 Posted by Wasdie (53493 posts) -

At the core they are both the same. Sony's just has a leveling system that is comparable to an RPG and Microsoft uses the cIassic arcade scoring system.

Neither is better than the other.

We can argue that achievements were more well thought out because every single game on the 360 supports them when that's not the case for the PS3.

#34 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44862 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="DrWin"]

DrWin

That's PSN's fault. The trophy system is still superior, the leveling up, the platinum trophy etc. This is undeniable. That's like saying Acheivements are better because some launch PS3 games don't have trophies. That doesn't make any sense, that doesn't make achievements better. It makes checking them easier, less annoying.

That's the software's fault--perhaps if the user interface to the PS3 wasn't so inferior to the XBox 360 interface, the minor issues with Trophies wouldn't be that big of deal. How about when you earn a trophy but didn't know what it was for, how is it manually going to your entire trophy list instead of just pressing the X360 guide button and taking you straight there? :]

#35 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

They are the same thing so it really doesen't matter.

#36 Posted by Lox_Cropek (3555 posts) -

They're both useless

#37 Posted by DrWin (217 posts) -

[QUOTE="DrWin"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]If trophies were an evolution, why do you have to manually sync your trophies everytime while you don't have to do a thing for the achievement system? Isn't that... a step backwards?Stevo_the_gamer

That's the software's fault--perhaps if the user interface to the PS3 wasn't so inferior to the XBox 360 interface, the minor issues with Trophies wouldn't be that big of deal. How about when you earn a trophy but didn't know what it was for, how is it manually going to your entire trophy list instead of just pressing the X360 guide button and taking you straight there? :]

Ya the 360 interface is way faster with trophies. The XMB is super fast on it's own, but because trophies came later you can tell it's not as speedy. However my point stands, if a new company entered the gaming market and was looking to add trophies/achievementes to their system, they wouldn't use that nor the all 360 games have achievementes as a reason for choosing achievementes over trophies. They'd simply take the better system, which is trophies.
#38 Posted by killeracer0210 (1475 posts) -

I'd say Achievements because i don't own a PS3.

#39 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26023 posts) -

they are the same other than achievements are in every game.

#40 Posted by sonicare (55538 posts) -

I'd say they make a big difference in the gameplay experience.

#41 Posted by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -

anyone else reminded of that Legendary ps_john thread?

#42 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -
Trophies, it has a RPG like leveling up system compared to the 360, where all you have is a number.
#43 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

both are essentially the same but dressed up in diffrent costumes, no matter how cows and lems adress it.

#44 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Same thing, but since I only have the PS3 I'll go with trophies :P

#45 Posted by Lto_thaG (22611 posts) -

Achievements.

Points are way better than bronze,silver,gold and platinum trophies.
Never liked trophies.

#46 Posted by catfishmoon23 (5197 posts) -

Trophies because I like the bronze/silver/gold/platinum divisions compared to the points system, but I like how achievements are listed in the order from the last one you recieved when viewing them.

#47 Posted by MushroomWig (11626 posts) -
Trophies for me but I wish the level up system offered something more (example - every level reached unlocks something like a theme, or an avatar).
#48 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

I prefer the achievement system in Conduit 2.

#49 Posted by MushroomWig (11626 posts) -

but I like how achievements are listed in the order from the last one you recieved when viewing them.

catfishmoon23

That's the same with trophies, you can view them either a-z or most recently unlocked.

#50 Posted by MasonLovak (741 posts) -
I don't care for either. I like achievements slightly more.