according to NPD: wii software outsold 360 software in december

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ---OkeyDokey---
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ---OkeyDokey---
Member since 2007 • 3318 Posts

http://wii.ign.com/articles/846/846606p1.html

Thanks to Matt Cassamina at IGN, who has full NPD information, we now know that NPD calculates that the Wii software total outsold the 360 software total in December.

I'm not remotely suggesting the typical "change the figures Ioi!" banter (although clearly some games such as CoD4 360 and Wii Play will need drastic re-arrangement). What I am suggesting is that Wii software has now established itself; I have pointed out several times over the last couple months that the Wii's software totals worldwide have more than competed with 360 software, and that the Wii was not, in fact, suffering from a user base that avoids software purchases.

Now, it appears that NPD is confirming and even surpassing my estimations -- the Wii managed to sell more software than the 360 in America last month, despite having 20% less units in the region. In the busiest month of the year by far. Even competing (say, within 25% of the 360's software total, with 20% less hardware sold, would be in line with 360 totals) would have been adequate to prove my point, but it not only competed, but bested.

I'm sure there will be months in the future where the 360 software will outsell Wii software -- I expect GTA IV releasing in April (we believe) will be another example of that -- but as a general rule, I'm beginning to feel quite confident in saying that the Wii is not a software midget that will need some astronomical hardware LTD in order to match the 360's software totals.

"bu-bu-bu teh 360 rules software sales :cry: "

yeah, wii owners don't buy games huh :roll: there goes another famous wii bashing line down the drain.

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
At least those games for 360 are Great games.
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ---OkeyDokey---

At least those games for 360 are Great games.raskullibur

bad damage control. aren't lemmings always saying that wii owners don't buy games? aren't they always saying software sales are more important than hardware sales?

i will bring up this article for future ownage :twisted:

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Hmm its good to see the Wii is doing well in software sales as well as hardware sales
Douja555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Douja555
Member since 2006 • 651 Posts

Cool, that means we'll see more Wii shovel games.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ---OkeyDokey---

Douja555

wii shovel :shock:

thats a great idea for a game :o

Douja555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Douja555
[QUOTE="Douja555"]

---OkeyDokey---

Thatd be pretty ironic wouldnt it?

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ---OkeyDokey---
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="Douja555"]

Douja555

how so?

Douja555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Douja555
[QUOTE="Douja555"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="Douja555"]

---OkeyDokey---

how so?

A console well known for shovelware, actually having a game based on shoveling trash games into the garbage?

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ---OkeyDokey---
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="Douja555"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="Douja555"]

Douja555

how so?

A console well known for shovelware, actually having a game based on shoveling trash games into the garbage?

still not following you :|

bah, this is lame. i expected more damage control in this thread, but it seems the lemmings have gone into hiding (i don't blame them)

Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="Douja555"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="Douja555"]

Douja555

how so?

if the trash that you were shovelling consisted of games like anubis II, ninjabread man and cruisn I would sooo buy that game :D Thats good news on the software side as well and I'm impressed to see 3rd party efforts really paying off as games like M&S, GHIII, REUC etc all sold really well.

Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vanadium2k8
Member since 2008 • 1605 Posts
TLHBO :lol: I can already see bitter tears in this thread. And then there's a whole free region for us, Japan, which would be more than enough to make up the differences in Europe.
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ---OkeyDokey---

TLHBO :lol: I can already see bitter tears in this thread. And then there's a whole free region for us, Japan, which would be more than enough to make up the differences in Europe.Vanadium2k8

actually the 360 is the worst selling console in europe, so i think its safe to say that wii sells more software over there too.

in any case, more wii games were sold in the biggest month of the year than on any other console. 3rd parties would be stupid not to see the opportunity to make loads of $$$.

Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vanadium2k8

Lemmings avoiding this thread like a plague, no surprise.

[QUOTE="Vanadium2k8"]TLHBO :lol: I can already see bitter tears in this thread. And then there's a whole free region for us, Japan, which would be more than enough to make up the differences in Europe.---OkeyDokey---

actually the 360 is the worst selling console in europe, so i think its safe to say that wii sells more software over there too.

in any case, more wii games were sold in the biggest month of the year than on any other console. 3rd parties would be stupid not to see the opportunity to make loads of $$$.

Time to dig up the grave, the 360's time has come.

dk_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dk_2007
Member since 2007 • 680 Posts

Can you provide more details in terms of individual games?

In any case if it is due to SMG then it is good to know. We should be happy when good games have good sales.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
good to know
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Halo 3 was the best selling game for 2007 according to NPD. So you sheep run along now! :lol:

mijkil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mijkil
Member since 2004 • 546 Posts
The second you remeber that wiiplay is bought for the extra controller rather than the abysmal mini-game collection, its pretty easy to discount the npd figures and this thread as utterly misguided trash.
Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vanadium2k8

Halo 3 was the best selling game for 2007 according to NPD. So you sheep run along now! :lol:

PS3_3DO

Wii total > 360 total. Wii userbase < 360 userbase = Wii owners buy more games. Must've been RROD.

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
360 Quality games >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii Games
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts
360 Quality games >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii Gamesraskullibur
SMG GOTY, seems pretty good quality to me. Anyways the quality of a game is in the eye of the beholder yeah?
Fraquelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fraquelli
Member since 2005 • 688 Posts

wow a fight between sheep and lemmings. how often does THAT happen eh? lol

anyway cool news for the Wii, Im sure SMG played a big role in this, its good to know that a good game had good sales.
at least some credit went to where it is due.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Lol no. You think the crap 360 games haven't sold a single copy or what?

T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts

I don't know if this is damage control or not but here you go...

I own all three system and am not surprised to hear that the Wii outsold PS3 and 360 in game sales in North America during the holidays because the console was completely sold out everywhere. I would ask this question though (since I tried to load the IGN podcast but it kept locking up on me), what percentage of the "games" where Wii Sports (a pack in game) and Wii Play (a game that comes with a controller) and Links Crossbow Target Practice (or whatever it is called that comes with the new peripheral)? I would wager that this would make up a large portion of the sales. It is also worth looking at what percentage of the sales are Nintendo first party versus third party, don't kid yourself companies do look at these sorts of breakdowns.

I will say this, I have bought several games for the Wii (for my kids and wife) but I have not played it very much because I prefer a more "adult" entertainment option and am a bit of a technology freak. I own four games for the PS3 but play it sparingly and use it mostly for a blu-ray movie player (but I am waiting on several games this year that may change that). I own fourteen games for the 360 and have rented a ton more, it is my gaming machine of choice right now and has been since it's launch. I don't consider myself a "lemming" but do consider the Wii to be more of a fad/retro/generation spanning toy than a gaming system. Just my opinion though.

Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vanadium2k8

I don't know if this is damage control or not but here you go...

I own all three system and am not surprised to hear that the Wii outsold PS3 and 360 in game sales in North America during the holidays because the console was completely sold out everywhere. I would ask this question though (since I tried to load the IGN podcast but it kept locking up on me), what percentage of the "games" where Wii Sports (a pack in game) and Wii Play (a game that comes with a controller) and Links Crossbow Target Practice (or whatever it is called that comes with the new peripheral)? I would wager that this would make up a large portion of the sales. It is also worth looking at what percentage of the sales are Nintendo first party versus third party, don't kid yourself companies do look at these sorts of breakdowns.

I will say this, I have bought several games for the Wii (for my kids and wife) but I have not played it very much because I prefer a more "adult" entertainment option and am a bit of a technology freak. I own four games for the PS3 but play it sparingly and use it mostly for a blu-ray movie player (but I am waiting on several games this year that may change that). I own fourteen games for the 360 and have rented a ton more, it is my gaming machine of choice right now and has been since it's launch. I don't consider myself a "lemming" but do consider the Wii to be more of a fad/retro/generation spanning toy than a gaming system. Just my opinion though.

T_0_D

Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow training are not included in NPD sales, as far as I know.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

360 Quality games >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii Gamesraskullibur

By quality, you mean a whole bunch of shooters?

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
>.> Your boasting over one month?
Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vanadium2k8

>.> Your boasting over one month?killab2oo5

The biggest month of the year.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

So are the ones for the Wii. Your point?

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Erebyssial

>.> Your boasting over one month?killab2oo5

It's not boasting at all really. It's just saying something to the common misconception that no one buys Wii games.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts
ok its a thread a sheep made about sale ...ok i surrender wii is the clear sale winner this gen so far but if the 360 library is what lemmings get to be the loser than im a freaking happy loser :D
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

Did they include Wii Sports (it's attached)?Still,one month is not enough to disprove a "misconeception". That's like saying the PS3 is now going to continue dominating the 360 because it sells a few more units. Anywhos,good for Nintendo. I think i'll play some Mario Galaxy now since it hasn't been gettin the attention it deserves.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Erebyssial

ok its a thread a sheep made about sale ...ok i surrender wii is the clear sale winner this gen so far but if the 360 library is what lemmings get to be the loser than im a freaking happy loser :Dlegol1

You're missing the point..

It's not boasting at all really. It's just saying something to the common misconception that no one buys Wii games.

Erebyssial

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 legol1

[QUOTE="legol1"]ok its a thread a sheep made about sale ...ok i surrender wii is the clear sale winner this gen so far but if the 360 library is what lemmings get to be the loser than im a freaking happy loser :DErebyssial

You're missing the point..

Erebyssial

the point is sheep dont create thread to talk about 3rd party game or awesome graphics or totaly awesome online gaming feature no you guys are talking about sale !
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho
[QUOTE="Erebyssial"] [QUOTE="legol1"]ok its a thread a sheep made about sale ...ok i surrender wii is the clear sale winner this gen so far but if the 360 library is what lemmings get to be the loser than im a freaking happy loser :Dlegol1
You're missing the point.. [QUOTE="Erebyssial"] It's not boasting at all really. It's just saying something to the common misconception that no one buys Wii games.

the point is sheep dont create thread to talk about 3rd party game or awesome graphics or totaly awesome online gaming feature no you guys are talking about sale !

There's tons of people who say Wii games don't sell. They do. That's what this thread's about.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
360 does have more AA and AAA games than Wii, but Wii is also signifally cheaper. You get what you pay for. And I pay for a PC too.
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
Dose he give out detail? Cause from the numbers that we got, it seems weird for that to be the case. Unless they are counting pack in games like Wii play.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Ownage. Now MS fanboys don't even have the "At least we sell more software than you" argument.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Erebyssial

legol1

You actually expect sheep to make a thread praising graphics and online :|
...:lol:

Oh, and 1st party Wii games are awesome. The GOTY was one of them, ring a bell?

aerman176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aerman176
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts
Well, that makes me simultaneously happy and worried. I'm happy because quality games like SMG are selling well, but worried that garbage like wii play is selling multi-millions. It troubles me to think of what message that sends to devs about the amount of effort they should invest in their games.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 locopatho

Well, that makes me simultaneously happy and worried. I'm happy because quality games like SMG are selling well, but worried that garbage like wii play is selling multi-millions. It troubles me to think of what message that sends to devs about the amount of effort they should invest in their games.aerman176

That sells cos of the controller they are usually impossible to find without Wii Play packed in.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 legol1

[QUOTE="legol1"]

Erebyssial

You actually expect sheep to make a thread praising graphics and online :|
...:lol:

Oh, and 1st party Wii games are awesome. The GOTY was one of them, ring a bell?

my point is i cant resolve myself to buy a console without any kind of amelioration in graphics from last gen and a console 3rd party dev dont take seriously !
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
Sales sales sales sales sales sales sales sales.

Anything else?
Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vanadium2k8

Anything else?
DireToad

Fine example of damage control.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 locopatho

Anything else?
DireToad

GOTY :P

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Erebyssial

Anything else?
DireToad

In other words, "I'm avoiding admitting the rumour that Wii games don't sell is false"?

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts

[QUOTE="DireToad"]Sales sales sales sales sales sales sales sales.

Anything else?
locopatho

Aaaah yes. How many GOTYs did the GC have? Didn't stop it from being a terrible console.

In other words, "I'm avoiding admitting the rumour that Wii games don't sell is false"? Erebyssial

No. I'm really not. I just could care less.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 locopatho
[QUOTE="locopatho"]

Anything else?
DireToad

Aaaah yes. How many GOTYs did the GC have? Didn't stop it from being a terrible console.

In other words, "I'm avoiding admitting the rumour that Wii games don't sell is false"? Erebyssial

No. I'm really not. I just could care less.

GC was awesome just not enough variety. Had the quality but not the quantity.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

Dose he give out detail? Cause from the numbers that we got, it seems weird for that to be the case. Unless they are counting pack in games like Wii play.pins_basic

Why? Is it so surprising that Wii owners' tastes are completely different from 360 owners, that they can see the value in games from unconventional genres that 360 owners wouldn't touch with a stick because they don't look "cool" enough?

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]

Anything else?
DireToad

The GCN didn't have the Wii's support.

Face it, it's over. You haters don't have a leg to stand on anymore. Oh, except for "Bu-bu-but we have more AAs and AAAs based on the arbitrary opinions of random reviewers who in no way represent the opinions of the REAL WORLD."