according to NPD: wii software outsold 360 software in december

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#202 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="the_h_bomb"]

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]theres no data if theres no numbers :|
JPOBS

The information is that Wii software has outsold 360 software overall. This information is coming from NPD group courtesy of one of its paid subcribers Matt Casamassina (who is also an editor for the second biggest videogame website on the internet).

Explain to me how assigning a numerical value to Wii software sales will change what he has said? take your time

And where are the numbers?

all im asking for is the proof :|

You'll never get it. If you won't believe Matt Casamassina when he sais Wii software outself 360 software, why would you believe him if he gives you numbers? If he made up the previous statement, then he could just as easily have made those numbers up.

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts
[QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]we see NPD numbers all the time :|
JPOBS

Do you think the top 10 is the whole report? Top 20? Top 50?

They track hundreds, if not thousands of games. They have a partial report that they release for free at the moment. They actually took that privelege away last year, but quickly took back that action once they felt the backlash of pubescent gaming fanboys across the internet.

You cannot see the full report unless you pay for it.

are those numbers available then?

Do you not get what I'm saying? If you are not a paid subscriber (which you aren't), you will not see those numbers. You are not going to see them. Matt Cassamassina is a paid subscriber, and that is why he has access to the full report. If he lied about that, I am sure that he (or IGN) would be sued or have some legal penalty for that action. If he says NPD had Wii software sales higher, then Wii software sales were higher.

zayas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#204 zayas_81
Member since 2004 • 1743 Posts
You all know that Matt Cassamasina IS married to a Nintendo rep, Right? This conflict of interest is well known throught the industry, so until then... I want to see the "F" 'n numbers with my own two eyes, its sad how many of you have this sad tendency to blindly follow...
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#205 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
That's good, but the Wii does have a lot of shovel ware. You don't seem to be able to face that fact.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#206 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

Lemmings - "Shovelware crap"

Cows - "Hahaha, PS3 will pass the 360, just like Wii did!"

Hermits - "Huh, what are these 'console' things you speak of?"

Sheep - *silence, knowing they don't need to say anything to pwn any more*

heretrix

If only this were the case. the sheep seem to be saying quite a bit. I guess it's good to be on top.

Lemmings are the worst, though. They attack everything and everybody in sight. They are like The Flood. =(

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 i_like_pizza

You all know that Matt Cassamasina IS married to a Nintendo rep, Right? This conflict of interest is well known throught the industry, so until then... I want to see the "F" 'n numbers with my own two eyes, its sad how many of you have this sad tendency to blindly follow...zayas_81

NPD would probably be able to take some kind of legal action against Matt or IGN or both if he lied about their statement. They are not his numbers, and he really has no reason (or the right) to report those numbers falsely. Being married to a Nintendo rep doesn't mean you automatically lie about the NPD report or always say good things about Nintendo (just recently, he wrote an article about how awful third party support is for the Wii and how poorly third party games sell, and that that's a huge problem for the Wii.

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 i_like_pizza

That's good, but the Wii does have a lot of shovel ware. You don't seem to be able to face that fact.rolo107

What shovelware do you think it was that is driving up the sales? Sure, it has shovelware, but that is not what's primarily driving the software sales.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

JPOBS

Yes, to paid subscribers

If you've got a spare ten grand lying about PM me and i'll send you details of how you can get the EXACT NUMERICAL DATA THAT WILL SOMEHOW MAKE THIS INFORMATION MORE LEGITIMATE

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]we see NPD numbers all the time :|
i_like_pizza

Do you think the top 10 is the whole report? Top 20? Top 50?

They track hundreds, if not thousands of games. They have a partial report that they release for free at the moment. They actually took that privelege away last year, but quickly took back that action once they felt the backlash of pubescent gaming fanboys across the internet.

You cannot see the full report unless you pay for it.

Do you not get what I'm saying? If you are not a paid subscriber (which you aren't), you will not see those numbers. You are not going to see them. Matt Cassamassina is a paid subscriber, and that is why he has access to the full report. If he lied about that, I am sure that he (or IGN) would be sued or have some legal penalty for that action. If he says NPD had Wii software sales higher, then Wii software sales were higher.

That one.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 i_like_pizza

That one.
JPOBS

That one? What are you talkin about? That's not even close to being a complete thought, and it definitely isn't a reply to what I said. That one?

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 JPOBS

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]That one.
i_like_pizza

That one? What are you talkin about? That's not even close to being a complete thought, and it definitely isn't a reply to what I said. That one?

I highlighted this part of your post.

"They have a partial report that they release for free at the moment."

That one, meaning, can you atleast link to those numbers?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="the_h_bomb"]

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]theres no data if theres no numbers :|
i_like_pizza

The information is that Wii software has outsold 360 software overall. This information is coming from NPD group courtesy of one of its paid subcribers Matt Casamassina (who is also an editor for the second biggest videogame website on the internet).

Explain to me how assigning a numerical value to Wii software sales will change what he has said? take your time

What is the biggest videogame website then?

GS gets the most traffic.

Are you serious? That's kinda scary. :(

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 the_h_bomb

i_like_pizza

He's just trying to rile you up. He understands the absurdity of his argument

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 i_like_pizza
[QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]That one.
JPOBS

Ahh, I see. http://gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=8557

GS also put up the report a couple of days ago, I'll find that one too.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]That one.
JPOBS

Those are in the official NPD thread.

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 i_like_pizza
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184847.html?tag=result;title;0
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 i_like_pizza

Are you serious? That's kinda scary. :(

Hexagon_777

I know. They do get a lot of attention just for the forums alone, though. These forums are always busy, and they're not all that bad. I do like to get my news and reviews from other sources though. I'm just not a GS fan.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 JPOBS
[QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

the_h_bomb

He's just trying to rile you up. He understands the absurdity of his argument

lmao you are ridiculous.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="i_like_pizza"]

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]That one.
i_like_pizza

Ahh, I see. http://gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=8557

GS also put up the report a couple of days ago, I'll find that one too.

thanks.
the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 the_h_bomb

lmao you are ridiculous.
JPOBS
I'm ridiculous?

You're the one who's claiming that the editor of a major videogame website is lying about sales data.

I know you're a caricature of a fanboy who i have owned MANY times, but you should at least try and maintain some level of respectability. I've seen more coherent and well thought out arguments from ProtossRushX

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

He never said he was lying, just asked for more information than just some random guy's word.

Not that that information is actually useful, but curiosity is a good thing, in my book. :P

gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 gomanthethird
Member since 2008 • 438 Posts
So much damage control in this thread.
the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 the_h_bomb

He never said he was lying, just asked for more information than just some random guy's word.

Not that that information is actually useful, but curiosity is a good thing, in my book. :P

Jandurin

It was clear what he was inferring

Would it be nice to have the sales data? yes

Would it change the reality of the situation in any way? no

Avatar image for ItalStallion777
ItalStallion777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 ItalStallion777
Member since 2005 • 1953 Posts

i'm not trying to damage control or anything, i have both systems and like them both, but i see 3 things contributing to this. 1)wii sports-bundled with the system 2)wii play-bundled with controller 3)you could not buy the console separately this holiday. you had to buy it as a bundle which included around 7 or 8 games.

i know the 360 is also bundled with 2 games (premium version) but the wii holiday bundles were absolutely ridiculous. stores capitalized on the demand of the wii and tried to throw in many games into bundles that weren't selling by themselves.

Avatar image for ---OkeyDokey---
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 ---OkeyDokey---
Member since 2007 • 3318 Posts

i'm not trying to damage control or anything, i have both systems and like them both, but i see 3 times contributing to this. 1)wii sports-bundled with the system 2)wii play-bundled with controller 3)you could not buy the console separately this holiday. you had to buy it as a bundle which included around 7 or 8 games.

i know the 360 is also bundled with 2 games (premium version) but the wii holiday bundles were absolutely ridiculous. stores capitalized on the demand of the wii and tried to throw in many games into bundles that weren't selling by themselves.

ItalStallion777

wiisports sales aren't counted by the NPD, which is why it wasn't in the top 10.

i'm loving all the damage control in this thread (not you italstation)

some people even going as far as saying that its a lie :lol:

gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 gomanthethird
[QUOTE="ItalStallion777"]

i'm not trying to damage control or anything, i have both systems and like them both, but i see 3 times contributing to this. 1)wii sports-bundled with the system 2)wii play-bundled with controller 3)you could not buy the console separately this holiday. you had to buy it as a bundle which included around 7 or 8 games.

---OkeyDokey---

wiisports sales aren't counted by the NPD, which is why it wasn't in the top 10.

i'm loving all the damage control in this thread (not you italstation)

some people even going as far as saying that its a lie :lol:

They just cant accept how badly the tables have turned on them. I kind of feel bad for them, this thread is kind of mean.
gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 gomanthethird
Matt is saying that its software attach rate in Dec is like 10:1.... that's mindblowing
usmcjdk6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 usmcjdk6
Member since 2007 • 1240 Posts

LOL @ this garbage.

Post the yearly totals.

FAIL.

butteater86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 butteater86
Member since 2007 • 1306 Posts

The wii is turning into the DS, which in retrospect was very predictable. As a wii owner I think this is a very good thing. I was worried for a short time that the wii's awesome potential for gaming wouldn't be realized. That changed slightly when the wii started selling hardware by the truckload, and the fear is all but gone now that the wii can sell software as well. The wii will start stealing investor dollars now, which was all the ds ever needed to get over its awkward first year.

LOL at this thread btw. The weakness in the lemmings is showing. They're rewriting the company line by the post. Admit it, month by month the wii has been eating away at the 360's lead and surpassing it in ever category. The only category it hasn't quite surpassed it yet is in # of quality games, which is the final hurdle, and the wii is rapidly approaching that mark.

GunSmith1_basic

huh? Weaker '07 + weakest '08 line-up = rapidly approaching?

usmcjdk6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 usmcjdk6
Member since 2007 • 1240 Posts

LOL @ this garbage.

Post the yearly totals.

FAIL.

usmcjdk6
gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 gomanthethird
Wow first 360 gets its hardware leadership taken away from it now software?
X_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 X_Evo
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

The wii is turning into the DS, which in retrospect was very predictable. As a wii owner I think this is a very good thing. I was worried for a short time that the wii's awesome potential for gaming wouldn't be realized. That changed slightly when the wii started selling hardware by the truckload, and the fear is all but gone now that the wii can sell software as well. The wii will start stealing investor dollars now, which was all the ds ever needed to get over its awkward first year.

LOL at this thread btw. The weakness in the lemmings is showing. They're rewriting the company line by the post. Admit it, month by month the wii has been eating away at the 360's lead and surpassing it in ever category. The only category it hasn't quite surpassed it yet is in # of quality games, which is the final hurdle, and the wii is rapidly approaching that mark.

butteater86

huh? Weaker '07 + weakest '08 line-up = rapidly approaching?

You know the full 08 line up? Can you please let all of us know.

PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 PhoebusFlows
Member since 2007 • 2050 Posts

Where are the numbers? I clicked the IGN link and saw pics of Matt and Bozon but Im not listening to a podcast. Where are the specific numbers?

If Wii did in fact beat Xbox 360 in software sales for December, good job on your sales burp. Yearly sales figures show Xbox 360 as far and away the leader of the pack in software sales. The same way HD-DVD would occasionally win in a minor sales spike for a particular month, and the HD-DVD supporters would come in and say "Look out, we comin back in force!!!" but the actual yearly trend shows Blu-Ray dominating, with ridiculous ease, the entire year. Do you like small burps in the road or the whole grand picture?

gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 gomanthethird
Matt is very trustworthy... he even came through with the Halo DS videos confirmation when nobody would believe him. Im sure we'll get more of the numbers shortly
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 ---OkeyDokey---

Where are the numbers? I clicked the IGN link and saw pics of Matt and Bozon but Im not listening to a podcast. Where are the specific numbers?

If Wii did in fact beat Xbox 360 in software sales for December, good job on your sales burp. Yearly sales figures show Xbox 360 as far and away the leader of the pack in software sales. The same way HD-DVD would occasionally win in a minor sales spike for a particular month, and the HD-DVD supporters would come in and say "Look out, we comin back in force!!!" but the actual yearly trend shows Blu-Ray dominating, with ridiculous ease, the entire year. Do you like small burps in the road or the whole grand picture?

PhoebusFlows

the full NPD numbers are available only to subscibers (matt c is one of them)

and itsn't it obvious that 360 leads yearly totals? espescially in america where it had quite a large lead over the wii in total hardware sales. thats not the point of the thread though. the point is, lemmings (your one of them) consistently brag on and on the 360's software sales whenever wii's incredible hardware sale are brought up. lemmings are always the first in with a clever little remark like "the grandma's and soccer moms aren't buying wii games" and "people are buying it just to play wiisports".

and for the wii to sell more software than the 360 in the busiest month of the year despite having a 20% smaller userbase is quite an achievement for a console that apparently, no one buys games for.

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts
That is cool I guess, but I would like to see the numbers, after all it could be like 5,000,000 for the 360 and 5,000,001 for the Wii, and it would be outselling the 360. Also don't based anything on one month sure it may be the busiest month of the year, but the 360 been beating the Wii in software for a while, so one month may not be that big ownage.
PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 PhoebusFlows

The tone of the first post made it sound like: the Biblical tides are turning and all disbelievers will be rightly judged and destroyed. No, you got one month, and without the actual numbers, i'm not even sure how much of a lead. 10,000 extra copies? 2,000 extra copies of Wii Play? I am not saying Matt is lying, but what exactly is the celebration here when we dont even know how far ahead the sales numbers were.

Yeah it was a busy month, but in order for the average lemming to drop the game he is playing and turn his head and "CARE" or "FEAR" you need a consistent number of wins every month. When an emerging trend is discernible, that's when you begin to care or fear. Not one month of "withheld" data from IGN Matt. If you celebrate things so easily then you must be in a constant state of overexcitement over every minor spike in the road.

I dont see the Wii suddenly outselling Xbox 360 every month in 2008. You got the burp in the road, and suddenly you got a rare taste of being in the enviable position the Xbox 360 enjoys every month. Uh, congrats on premature forecasting! Yay! Cue the balloons and confetti!! Weee

Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#240 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
I hope more devs will take notice and make more quality games for the Wii.
XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#241 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]>.> Your boasting over one month?Erebyssial

It's not boasting at all really. It's just saying something to the common misconception that no one buys Wii games.

That wasn't what people said. They said, that hardly anyone buys 3rd Party Wii games. Big difference. The main reason for Wii huge software sales was because the Wii sold more systems then the 360. As we know, most people who buy a Wii for the first time was getting Wii Play, Mario Galaxy and maybe one other Nintendo developed game. How many Wii's sold in December again? There is also a LOT of games on the Wii for a 1st year system. There are over 300 titles.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

people with wiis buy games even when the all of them come with an A game, only a fanboy can't see that

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 ---OkeyDokey---

The tone of the first post made it sound like: the Biblical tides are turning and all disbelievers will be rightly judged and destroyed. No, you got one month, and without the actual numbers, i'm not even sure how much of a lead. 10,000 extra copies? 2,000 extra copies of Wii Play? I am not saying Matt is lying, but what exactly is the celebration here when we dont even know how far ahead the sales numbers were.

Yeah it was a busy month, but in order for the average lemming to drop the game he is playing and turn his head and "CARE" or "FEAR" you need a consistent number of wins every month. When an emerging trend is discernible, that's when you begin to care or fear. Not one month of "withheld" data from IGN Matt. If you celebrate things so easily then you must be in a constant state of overexcitement over every minor spike in the road.

I dont see the Wii suddenly outselling Xbox 360 every month in 2008. You got the burp in the road, and suddenly you got a rare taste of being in the enviable position the Xbox 360 enjoys every month. Uh, congrats on premature forecasting! Yay! Cue the balloons and confetti!! Weee

PhoebusFlows

you still don't understand. this information merely proves that the wii can more than hold its own against the 360 in software sales.

and this is only america too. when you take into account that the wii sells ALOT of software in japan and europe (the two weakest markets for the 360), the difference between wii and 360 software sales worldwide for december would not have been a small one. but thats okay, keep up the damage control if you must. it tastes ever so sweet :twisted:

PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 PhoebusFlows

In order for there to be damage control there must be damage inflicted. I have not seen anything except a lot of showboating over the most trivial and obscure things. Did Matt IGN count Wii Play? I still have no idea why they include these numbers. Matt IGN took some numbers and because he's part of a famous website, it seems to give the numbers some gravity and authority and the impression that "things are really changing."

Matt also posted the article saying developers are flocking to the Wii and leaving PS3 and Xbox 360 in the dust. That was posted early 2007. Having fun with that lame prediciton?

There is no damage control or cause for alarm. Lemmings really dont care about the wimpy surge of software on Wii. I'm personally laughing at how much of a hoopla is made over this. Post the January and February Wii software numbers in the future. Any dip or severe decline pretty much shows you made much ado about nothing. You held your own in Christmas season and will probably fall back to normal mediocrity in the next few months. Am I supposed to take the words of people who hype Nights Wii and Soul Calibur Legends seriously anymore?

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 ---OkeyDokey---

In order for there to be damage control there must be damage inflicted. I have not seen anything except a lot of showboating over the most trivial and obscure things. Did Matt IGN count Wii Play? I still have no idea why they include these numbers. Matt IGN took some numbers and because he's part of a famous website, it seems to give the numbers some gravity and authority and the impression that "things are really changing."

Matt also posted the article saying developers are flocking to the Wii and leaving PS3 and Xbox 360 in the dust. That was posted early 2007. Having fun with that lame prediciton?

There is no damage control or cause for alarm. Lemmings really dont care about the wimpy surge of software on Wii. I'm personally laughing at how much of a hoopla is made over this. Post the January and February Wii software numbers in the future. Any dip or severe decline pretty much shows you made much ado about nothing. You held your own in Christmas season and will probably fall back to normal mediocrity in the next few months. Am I supposed to take the words of people who hype Nights Wii and Soul Calibur Legends seriously anymore?

PhoebusFlows

your getting too angry about this phoebus. accept your ownage like a man and move on.

or continue being in denial, whichever is more entertaining.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

*Reads OP*

....:lol: Sweet Jesus.

Guess when good games do come (Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero III, Umbrellas Chronicles) people do buy them. Odd.

Yongying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Yongying
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts
Ahh its nice to see sheep claim ownage once in a while, but tbh this ownage is so MEH!
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#248 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
Too bad, considering Wii software doesn't deserve to sell that well. SMG and Zack and Wiki are probably the only two truly deserving games out there to sell well on Wii, but yet no one bought Zack and Wiki for some reason.
SaintsRowSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 SaintsRowSam
Member since 2006 • 2807 Posts
hannah montana sold alot huh :lol:
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 JPOBS

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]lmao you are ridiculous.
the_h_bomb

I'm ridiculous?

You're the one who's claiming that the editor of a major videogame website is lying about sales data.

I know you're a caricature of a fanboy who i have owned MANY times, but you should at least try and maintain some level of respectability. I've seen more coherent and well thought out arguments from ProtossRushX

I havent called him a liar once.

I dont get why you think you're such a great debater, all you ever do is twist what i ACTUALLY say into somethng you can find fault in. Rarely do you ever actual counter my argument, instead, you make up things such as me calling him a liar and pretend to have an upper hand.