AC Unity maybe 720p on PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

You just reiterated the same bullshit you do all the time. The PR claims. I asked you about the actual 2x difference example, you still didn't provide me with any. And, to be precise your 2X claims are about the hardware not even specifically the GPU and I have tried explaining countless times how CPU takes the hit because of the API overhead but you go on with your low level GPU API. I'm pretty damn sure ND writes the drivers in assembly for the GPU in PS4 because that is clearly their product and not AMD's. It's not like that control is provided by the vendor. Let me tell you something learn difference behind computer architecture and computer organization. What you are trying to say is part of computer organization and devs don't have access to it. Computer Architecture 101.

In general First Party's should get most out of the hardware but there's no valid proof that First party will always be the case. Mind telling me why GTA V is technically more impressive than any ND game on PS3? It gets to how much committed the team is towards the product.

Anyways, why the hell am I wasting my time with you. Even if I get Mark Cerny to say PS4 is comparable to PC with 570 in it you sony drones will still try to spin it that he was just being generous like AM-Gamer is just doing.

You will return with the same old quotes. I have more chance with banging my head against a wall than debating with you, sir. Keep on living in the NEVER LAND where a tablet CPU and a 570 level GPU can do things TITAN has trouble doing.

Why do you not listen? So when you link to Digital Foundry it's legit but when I do it's PR? All I linked was DF and Twitter. And I specifically explained that 2x performance isn't always the case due to coding budget. GTA 5 may well be maxing out the PS3/360, but they had seperate teams utilizing the hardware properly. After all they only had to focus on those two consoles.

Also, I never said a TITAN can't do what PS4 does. It's several times the raw power. I'm just saying DirectX wastes a lot of GPU tech. It's just the truth.

Because I didn't quote the interview where developer is trying to sell the product. Yeah they are going to say, well folks consoles are weak ass PC's from 2010 level hardware and with $400 you can get just that otherwise the company will start loosing money on each console it sells. Yup, that's a really good way to sell your product that is potentially be sold on the weak console in question. It's definitely a very good marketing strategy. I'm sure the marketing dept. would recommend to promote the developer after giving such truthful interview. You are a marketing genius, Scott, send me your CV, I'll forward it to IBM with my personal recommendation to make you the CMO. /sarcasm

Anyways, sorry to trouble you sir. I already gave up.

ND are the best devs.

Consoles can do 100x what the similar spec PC can do.

Sony First Party rips PC devs.

PS4 = Most perfect gaming PC in a box.

KZ:SF/I:SS/Ryse/Knack/UC4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any PC game that have released or will release in future

Did I miss anything?

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Because I didn't quote the interview where developer is trying to sell the product. Yeah they are going to say, well folks consoles are weak ass PC's from 2010 level and with $400 you can get just that otherwise the company will start loosing money on each console it sells. Yup, that's a really good way to sell your product that is potentially be sold on the weak console in question. It's definitely a very good marketing strategy. I'm sure the marketing dept. would recommend to promote the developer after giving such truthful interview. You are a marketing genius, Scott, send me your CV, I'll forward it to IBM with my personal recommendation to make you the CMO. /sarcasm

Anyways, sorry to trouble you sir. I already gave up.

ND are the best devs.

Consoles can do 100x what the similar spec PC can do.

Sony First Party rips PC devs.

PS4 = Most perfect gaming PC in a box.

KZ:SF/I:SS/Ryse/Knack/UC4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any PC game that have released or will release in future

Did I miss anything?

See I never said that ND were the best developers.

What I said was:

• A Console API can do far more with the hardware than what DirectX can with a PC.
  • Developers are more restricted with DirectX
  • Single spec optimization allows developers to code full on.
  • 2x performance of DirectX is possible because of the above.
  • Multiplat developers don't get to use the full potential due to catering to several platforms.
  • Results show in console exclusives more so.

All this goes for any console and exclusive developer. Not just Sony lol. Never did say that. I feel you are purposely ignoring what I say just to be difficult.

In DirectX, there is CPU overhead and an order of magnitude less draw calls. But then there is also low level access to the GPU. That's the main performance increase actually. Also devs get tofocus on a single spec so they can code tighter and know it will just work.

You want me to provide sources of all these points? Of course they will just be PR right? Please try to be reasonable. Or are you just going to disappear?

Objections on the bold parts. If you have credible, real world bechmarks or a game that shows the difference to prove that go ahead, otherwise I'm already disappeared.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#206 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I can't believe people still buy these games

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@zeeshanhaider: Lmao now there experts? For a $30 membership you can be one of the experts. An organization that had NEVER gave a videogame reward are now experts? Lmao you will grasp to whatever you can dumbass.

Where are the links with proof? Not one does it prove the technical superiority of anything you mentioned. You see what you want to because you are a raging hermits with a rabbid hatred toward anything Sony. You have been owned by just about everyone in this thread and instead you continue to ramble about this bullshit proof. I'm done giveing you another second of my time enjoy being butthurt over a $400 prebuilt box.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Objections on the bold parts. If you have credible, real world bechmarks or a game that shows the difference to prove that go ahead, otherwise I'm already disappeared.

The problem I think we are having here is that you think I'm digging at the PC. Here's the thing. You are correct in your thoughts, but also wrong. It is true that Consoles perform better for multiplat games than the equivalent powered PC. But not by far most of the time. This is very true. The reason is because multiplat devs don't get to work on just one platform alone. They have to cater for several.

Listen. I need to get this straight with you. PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Consoles. I love my PC. The gaming experience to the end user can potentially be far better because of the nature of an open platform. PC is the home of multiplats. End of story. Just so you know this is no console shill. But this doesn't change the fact that a console API gives you far more control of the hardware. That is the potential.

Here's a little bit more insight on the PS4's API for reference.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

A more crucial issue is that, while the PS4 toolchain is designed to be familiar to those working on PC, the new Sony hardware doesn't use the DirectX API, so Sony has supplied two of their own.

"At the lowest level there's an API called GNM. That gives you nearly full control of the GPU. It gives you a lot of potential power and flexibility on how you program things. Driving the GPU at that level means more work."

"Most people start with the GNMX API which wraps around GNM and manages the more esoteric GPU details in a way that's a lot more familiar if you're used to platforms like D3D11. We started with the high-level one but eventually we moved to the low-level API because it suits our uses a little better," says O'Connor, explaining that while GNMX is a lot simpler to work with, it removes much of the custom access to the PS4 GPU, and also incurs a significant CPU hit.

So here he explains that there are two API's in the PS4. A low level one, and a high level wrapper API similar to that of DirectX11 that also takes a CPU hit like DX11. The low level API takes more work to utilize, but offers you custom access to the GPU. DirectX gets a generalized performance from the GPU, because of it's abstract and high level nature.

"The Crew uses a subset of the D3D11 feature-set, so that subset is for the most part easily portable to the PS4 API. But the PS4 is a console not a PC, so a lot of things that are done for you by D3D on PC - you have to do that yourself. It means there's more DIY to do but it gives you a hell of a lot more control over what you can do with the system."

Again, more info on the control a console API gives you. The GNMX API is there for easy porting from DX11 to PS4. First party devs obviously don't need it as they are not making a PC version.

A lot of devs hate Direct X because it's slow and restricts a lot of custom access that a low level API brings.

But again, multiplats will always be better on PC. No doubt about it. Consoles will only likely perform 10/15% or so better than a comparable PC for multiplats in a lot of cases. But if you get to utilize the PS4 API fully like exclusive developers do, then you can do things that are just not possible on a PC without brute forcing it. 2x is the potential. Not what all games will show.

But the bottom line is a console API > DirectX. That's all I was trying to say.

I'm not disagreeing with you. The only thing I have a conflict over is 2X potential. Let me try to explain in simple words with an anology. When I was in university, we had that cluster of PCs, well not really PC's but specialized hardware with Nvidia GPU's with some computational tasks spread over them. Now they were programmed with CUDA (NVIDIA proprietary API) instead of DirectCompute/OpenCL. I also had to do decrypt bunch of codes using GPU as part of my course for which we always use CUDA.

Now your example of GNMX is like DirectCompute/OpenCL and GNM is CUDA. It improves performance but not by 2X. Well it does improve 2X but not of the entire task. I mean in GPGPU you process information in chunks like.....uhhhhh.....how I put it.....well....lets just say it, an individual step of a big task may be accelerated to 2X but the the whole performance. The most you would get is 25-30% boost.

So, yes in games you will get is the exact same 20-30% boost on consoles even if you program it in binary, there's a ceiling after that you just can't increase the performance. And when you hear programmers say '2X' believe me that's pure bullshit and PR. If DirectX/OpenGL was holding GPU's to half their potential none of the GPU vendors would have agreed with their specification. It's too much wastage of resources. Believe me ask any CS graduate or student. It is against the basic principles of engineering. If that were to happen AMD and Nvidia would have gone with their own API's.

Now do you understand where I'm coming from?

@AM-Gamer

Did you bookmark the thread? You will need it the next time you have to show someone how you owned my ass because you sure did in this thread.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#210 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

After the Watch Dogs downgrade debacle, I decided to get a new GPU, and I'm glad I did for multiplats like these.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#211 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts
@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

You just reiterated the same bullshit you do all the time. The PR claims. I asked you about the actual 2x difference example, you still didn't provide me with any. And, to be precise your 2X claims are about the hardware not even specifically the GPU and I have tried explaining countless times how CPU takes the hit because of the API overhead but you go on with your low level GPU API. I'm pretty damn sure ND writes the drivers in assembly for the GPU in PS4 because that is clearly their product and not AMD's. It's not like that control is provided by the vendor. Let me tell you something learn difference behind computer architecture and computer organization. What you are trying to say is part of computer organization and devs don't have access to it. Computer Architecture 101.

In general First Party's should get most out of the hardware but there's no valid proof that First party will always be the case. Mind telling me why GTA V is technically more impressive than any ND game on PS3? It gets to how much committed the team is towards the product.

Anyways, why the hell am I wasting my time with you. Even if I get Mark Cerny to say PS4 is comparable to PC with 570 in it you sony drones will still try to spin it that he was just being generous like AM-Gamer is just doing.

You will return with the same old quotes. I have more chance with banging my head against a wall than debating with you, sir. Keep on living in the NEVER LAND where a tablet CPU and a 570 level GPU can do things TITAN has trouble doing.

Why do you not listen? So when you link to Digital Foundry it's legit but when I do it's PR? All I linked was DF and Twitter. And I specifically explained that 2x performance isn't always the case due to coding budget. GTA 5 may well be maxing out the PS3/360, but they had seperate teams utilizing the hardware properly. After all they only had to focus on those two consoles.

Also, I never said a TITAN can't do what PS4 does. It's several times the raw power. I'm just saying DirectX wastes a lot of GPU tech. It's just the truth.

I guess that in a poorly made pc port it could take 2 times the power of a console to get the game running at the same level. But there are bad ports on consoles just as well and neither shouldn't be used as an argument of how well things run. If not, one could say that the ps3 can't run Far Cry 1 properly because of the bad port but anyone should know that Far Cry 1 would run really great on the ps3 if the porting was done well.When comparing the best looking/most advanced games of a pc with twice the power of a game console, the latter has no chance at all. When they are about equal in power the console preforms better, no doubt.

A Core 2 duo and a geforce 8800gt ( a bit more than twice the power than the ps3 gpu) can run Crysis Warhead at mainstream (medium) settings at 1920x1200 at an average of 35 fps with a few dips into the high 20ies. Or it can run Crysis WH at gamer settings (second highest) at 1440x900 and get an average 42 fps. Even if the ps3 had more memory it could never achieve the same performance, it lacks the power.

I'm not saying that optimization isn't a real advantage that game consoles have over PCs but let's not blow it out of proportion. The optimization allows the consoles to usually manage quite well with a much weaker cpu but on the gpu side the difference is much smaller.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By miiiiv

@scottpsfan14 said:
@miiiiv said:

I guess that in a poorly made pc port it could take 2 times the power of a console to get the game running at the same level. But there are bad ports on consoles just as well and neither shouldn't be used as an argument of how well things run. If not, one could say that the ps3 can't run Far Cry 1 properly because of the bad port but anyone should know that Far Cry 1 would run really great on the ps3 if the porting was done well.When comparing the best looking/most advanced games of a pc with twice the power of a game console, the latter has no chance at all. When they are about equal in power the console preforms better, no doubt.

A Core 2 duo and a geforce 8800gt ( a bit more than twice the power than the ps3 gpu) can run Crysis Warhead at mainstream (medium) settings at 1920x1200 at an average of 35 fps with a few dips into the high 20ies. Or it can run Crysis WH at gamer settings (second highest) at 1440x900 and get an average 42 fps. Even if the ps3 had more memory it could never achieve the same performance, it lacks the power.

I'm not saying that optimization isn't a real advantage that game consoles have over PCs but let's not blow it out of proportion. The optimization allows the consoles to usually manage quite well with a much weaker cpu but on the gpu side the difference is much smaller.

Yeah I do realize that there are also games on consoles that are badly optimized. And do indeed perform similar to DirectX. But the comparison between a cut down 7800GT vs a 8800GT is unfair since one has well over twice the FLOP perf. And on top of that, features more modern arcitecture with shader model 4. Crysis Warhead was built with PC in mind. For efficient use of shader model 4. A showcase. With no console restraint. Not a fair comparison at all. See how even a 7950 GT (7800 Dual GPU) performs with Crysis 1 and you will see just how much of a difference shader model 4 (8000 series) makes to Crysis performance. Crysis is making use of tech that PS3 hardware simply doesn't have. The 8000 series was a massive departure from the 7000 series not just in raw power, but feature set.

Also, the GPU low level access is where the extra perf comes from. Focus on a single piece of hardware too.

Actually the Far Cry 1 runs much worse on the ps3 than on a pc with similar power of the ps3, which is a disgrace. I just used it as an example, I guess GTA4 would be a great example of a poorly made pc port, though I think the patches that came later fixed some problems.
Isn't the the rsx pretty much equal in performance to the 7800 gtx, the rsx is gimped in some way but has about 30% higher core clock?
And the cell aided the rsx in many later ps3 games, and even with the cell aiding the rsx, the ps3 is still outperformed by the 8800gt.
A pc with twice the power of a console will perform better than that console, both in multiplats and when comparing the best looking games each of them can run.

Just like a pc with twice the power of the ps4 will always outperform (except for an occasional shitty port) the ps4. Sure such a pc costs more than the ps4 but games are cheaper, online is free and the performance is better.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#214 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

this is next gen

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 miiiiv

@scottpsfan14 said:

Right so you comparing multiplats to exclusives isn't a given. An 8800 is more than just a 7800 with twice the raw power. A better example would be a 7950 dual GPU as it's the same card generation and shader model. But then as I have explained, not all multiplats use the extra advantage of a low level API to it's fullest. I don't think you understand just how limited D3D is do you? It has soo many barriers between the developer and the hardware. Consoles eliminate those barriers. You saying 2x perf is overblown is downplaying coders that are actually capable of such things. It's like saying guitarists can't ever go beyond Jimi Hendrix skill level. Why concoct lies? Are devs just lying when they make those claims? For PR? Even when speaking to a random person on Twitter? Saying it's PR is a cop out. And you are basing a good portion of your argument on conjecture.

Far Cry PS3 was straight ported lol. Not representative of the PS3 being used to it's fullest at all.

Lets say if The Last Of Us Remastered was ported to PC DirectX the way it looks on PS4. PS4 gets an average framerate of 58fps. How do you think a 7850 using DirectX on PC would run that game with the same graphical fidelity? Remember this, the coders at ND had to iron out performance bugs and do PS4 specific algorithims to eliminate as many performance bugs as possible. Those same optimizations are not available on PC. So with the generalized performance of DirectX, what do you think the fps results would be?

A pc with twice the power of a console will always outperform the console, I base this mostly on personal observations during the years. Because it's not even close when comparing the best looking/most advanced games each of them can run. At equal power a game console performs better. I don't think anyone can really dispute this.
And I think TLOU RE could perform about as well on a pc (if the pc version was done well) that's equal in power to the ps4. It's to soon for the ps4 to really show any advantage over a pc with equal power. Ask me again when Uncharted 4 is out and I will most likely give a different answer, given Naughty Dog's previous games they made from the ground up to one system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#218 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

720p PS4

1080p on the Bone

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#219 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

720p PS4

1080p on the Bone

If PS4 has 720P The Bone will have easily like 660P or something in that range.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#220  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor console peasants. Playing games like it's 1999.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher: you have to be the biggest moron I have seen on this board.

You do release it was confirmed months before E3 that Destiny would be 1080p 30 FPS on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One 30 FPS.

Once X1's June update was announced Destiny then confirmed it would be 1080p and 30 FPS on X1. Fast forward to months after E3 and they show life gameplay of Destiny on X1 at 1080p and 30fps on X1 (when you said it wouldn't) and it is also optimized identically to the current PS4 version.

The PS4, is a weak console. It's a fact. It's low end just like X1. Deal with it. They are not holding the PS4 back, the PS4 is holding itself back.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@gamersjustgame said:

You do release it was confirmed months before E3 that Destiny would be 1080p 30 FPS on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One 30 FPS.

Once X1's June update was announced Destiny then confirmed it would be 1080p and 30 FPS on X1. Fast forward to months after E3 and they show life gameplay of Destiny on X1 at 1080p and 30fps on X1 (when you said it wouldn't) and it is also optimized identically to the current PS4 version.

The PS4, is a weak console. It's a fact. It's low end just like X1. Deal with it. They are not holding the PS4 back, the PS4 is holding itself back.

If I recall correctly the Destiny 900p thing was a rumour before there was any official word about its resolution.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 GamersJustGame

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@gamersjustgame said:

If I recall correctly the Destiny 900p thing was a rumour before there was any official word about its resolution.

I refuse to believe someone as dumb as you, doesn't have a mental disability. Just do research kid. Destiny was confirmed 900p. Since the june update confirmed 1080p.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#224 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Consoles are very weak. They should be destroyed.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By GrenadeLauncher

@gamersjustgame said:

I refuse to believe someone as dumb as you, doesn't have a mental disability. Just do research kid. Destiny was confirmed 900p. Since the june update confirmed 1080p.

Usually the prosecution presents the evidence, but I looked it up and couldn't find any 900p confirmations except for the beta being that resolution while they try and bring it up to snuff on the Strugglebox. Nice try.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 GamersJustGame

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@gamersjustgame said:

Usually the prosecution presents the evidence, but I looked it up and couldn't find any 900p confirmations except for the beta being that resolution while they try and bring it up to snuff on the Strugglebox. Nice try.

What the video after E3 were the developers said "Thanks to the June SDK we are able to now optimize the X1 version identically to the PS4's version.". Called research.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 GrenadeLauncher

@gamersjustgame said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@gamersjustgame said:

What the video after E3 were the developers said "Thanks to the June SDK we are able to now optimize the X1 version identically to the PS4's version.". Called research.

PR to drag back the upset lemmings.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@gamersjustgame said:

"However, with resolution currently locked at 900p for this Xbox One build - and 1080p being targeted for release..."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-destiny-xbox-one-beta

F-Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#229  Edited By F-Minus
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts

We see how this "a console will perform 2x compared to a similar specd PC" works in reality. Why? Cause nobody has a similar specd PC, a high end i5 already drives circles around the CPUs in the consoles, then we come to the GPUs, RAM, SSDs etc. Reality is, if you have the money for a good gaming PC, your games are going to look better, run at higher resolutions - if the developer actually gives a shit, if he doesn't we'll the game will look the same as on consoles weather you have the best possible hardware on the market.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 GrenadeLauncher

@faizan_faizan said:

"However, with resolution currently locked at 900p for this Xbox One build - and 1080p being targeted for release..."

Hurray! That wasn't too difficult.

Now time for a bellylaugh at the Strugglebox just managing 1080p on last-gen parity games.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@faizan_faizan said:

Hurray! That wasn't too difficult.

Now time for a bellylaugh at the Strugglebox just managing 1080p on last-gen parity games.

I don't think the increase in resolution was the result of the SDK BS.