Official NFL Free Agency Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#201 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Just looked at the updated Bears free agent signings, Roy Williams (90 catches in 40 games, oh wow:|), Sam Hurd (another Cowboy reject), and Vernon Gholston, why are the Bears signing the rest of the league's garbage?

Williams is the most baffling signing, a plodding possession receiver doesn't fit the Martz system.

QuistisTrepe_

Gholsten could be good, they're saying he was always a bad fit for the Jets' 3-4. That, and Marinelli has good things to say about him, and if there's one Bears coach I trust on evaluating players it's Marinelli with the D-line. Best of all is the price, though. I was getting scared when everybody was pushing for Babin to come to Chicago, he had one good season in all his years in the league. That might not have been so bad, except it means he comes at a high price and if he ends up being a bust you're stuck with his contract. If Gholsten busts at least we're not paying him first round money like the Jets were.

Williams is still the most confusing move. He's had terrible work ethic, he gives up on plays, he drops way too many balls, I just don't know what the Bears see in this guy, especially with so many other FA receivers out there. And then the whole Greg Olsen thing, it's like Jerry Angelo woke up and asked himself, "how I can get rid of this guy for less value than he's worth?" Stupid, stupid offseason moves, and in an offseason where there's an unprecedented number of good free agents.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#202 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
God ****ing damn Cullen Jenkins went to the Eagles. This ****ing sucks. The Packers can join the list of teams having a bad offseason. :evil: Way to not even TRY to re-sign your quality free agents, Packers... :evil:
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
:lol: The Eagles are getting everyone! I wonder how much #7 has to do with all these top free agents ending up in Philly :D
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 The-Apostle
:lol: The Eagles are getting everyone! I wonder how much #7 has to do with all these top free agents ending up in Philly :DNo_Hablo_Ingles
Yeah, well, it would be nice if the Packers actually CARED about repeating, which they clearly don't. :evil: Yes, I'm still raging about this travesty of losing Jenkins (and Colledge and Spitz)...
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]:lol: The Eagles are getting everyone! I wonder how much #7 has to do with all these top free agents ending up in Philly :DThe-Apostle
Yeah, well, it would be nice if the Packers actually CARED about repeating, which they clearly don't. :evil: Yes, I'm still raging about this travesty of losing Jenkins (and Colledge and Spitz)...

I've never seen the Packers aggressive in free agency.... you guys build basically exclusively from the draft. The Eagles on the other hand are in "win now" mode. After I heard this news, combined with the signing of ASO, Vince Young, etc., I was thinking to myself "when the hell did Dan Syder buy the Eagles?" Honestly, I haven't been this excited since 2004 (Eagles sign the freak and TO) but this is sooooo much better. If Asante is traded and we can get a good cheap linebacker or trade him for draft pick(s) and sign that linebacker from the Titans.... the Eagles will have the best team in the NFL-ON PAPER-. Now Vick needs to stay healthy. I'm sure every Eagles fan will be holding their breathe every time he gets hit.... UNEQUAL TECH please keep Vick safe :(
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 No_Hablo_Ingles
I'm scared that Vick will get hurt against the Ravens, Steelers or Jets in the preseason :(
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]:lol: The Eagles are getting everyone! I wonder how much #7 has to do with all these top free agents ending up in Philly :DNo_Hablo_Ingles

I've never seen the Packers aggressive in free agency.... you guys build basically exclusively from the draft. The Eagles on the other hand are in "win now" mode. After I heard this news, combined with the signing of ASO, Vince Young, etc., I was thinking to myself "when the hell did Dan Syder buy the Eagles?" Honestly, I haven't been this excited since 2004 (Eagles sign the freak and TO) but this is sooooo much better. If Asante is traded and we can get a good cheap linebacker or trade him for draft pick(s) and sign that linebacker from the Titans.... the Eagles will have the best team in the NFL-ON PAPER-. Now Vick needs to stay healthy. I'm sure every Eagles fan will be holding their breathe every time he gets hit.... UNEQUAL TECH please keep Vick safe :(

While that may be true they could at least re-sign their own free agents. In fact, I still say this is what Ted Thompson is thinking: "Well, we won the Super Bowl. I'm gonna give us a challenge and not re-sign a single decent free agent."
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]While that may be true they could at least re-sign their own free agents. In fact, I still say this is what Ted Thompson is thinking: "Well, we won the Super Bowl. I'm gonna give us a challenge and not re-sign a single decent free agent."

Well he already checked off the "Win the SB with 10 or more players on IR" why not try to challenge your team with "Win back to back SBs without resigning a decent free agent from the last year."
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"]While that may be true they could at least re-sign their own free agents. In fact, I still say this is what Ted Thompson is thinking: "Well, we won the Super Bowl. I'm gonna give us a challenge and not re-sign a single decent free agent."

Well he already checked off the "Win the SB with 10 or more players on IR" why not try to challenge your team with "Win back to back SBs without resigning a decent free agent from the last year."

Forgot about last year...
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#210 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
I think it's safe to say an Eagles vs. Patriots superbowl rematch is highly likely.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 The-Apostle
I think it's safe to say an Eagles vs. Patriots superbowl rematch is highly likely.CleanPlayer
Yeah, you're probably right, though I'm still holding out hope for a Packers vs. Patriots Super Bowl.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

I think it's safe to say an Eagles vs. Patriots superbowl rematch is highly likely.CleanPlayer
The Patriots anit doing **** in the playoffs and Chad and overrated Haynesworth dont help much. :P

A side note, im still puzzled by that decision. Haynes wants to play in a 4-3, the Pats are 3-4. 100 million didnt motivate him so why should I think because B.B is watching him, he'll get into shape and start owning after doing nothing for 2 years? :? And if Bill wants to put him in during 4-3 formation, cool, just run by his fat ass.

I understand, the Pats will remain the favorites because they win the division year in and year out, but in recent memory when praised to death, they have failed. It began with the GIANTS and ended with the JETS in January. That short pass dump off is cute during the regular season but it doesnt work out well for them in the PO. They did get Chad but would Chad be able to keep up come playoff time and would he be able to shake off a Rex Ryan style defense?

So far, it looks like nothing has changed. They are still going to be a pass happy team they will get stuffed yet again in the PO.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 No_Hablo_Ingles

Fuhg, Ty Warren expects BB to move to a 4-3. Lets say for the sake of arguing that Fat Albert gets back to Titans shape. He was a great run stopper, who pushed guards back into in backfield.

Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Fuhgeddabouditt

Fuhg, Ty Warren expects BB to move to a 4-3. Lets say for the sake of arguing that Fat Albert gets back to Titans shape. He was a great run stopper, who pushed guards back into in backfield.

No_Hablo_Ingles
but it wont happen. If it does, yes, it would be scary to go up against his old self.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]

Fuhgeddabouditt
but it wont happen. If it does, yes, it would be scary to go up against his old self.

How do you know? I'm not saying he will, but it's certainly possible. Even more so if they switch from the 3-4 to the 4-3
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#216 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
I love it, people jumping on the Patriots/Eagles bandwagon already.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]:lol: The Eagles are getting everyone! I wonder how much #7 has to do with all these top free agents ending up in Philly :DThe-Apostle

Could you give some insight on Spitz? He any good based on your fan perspective?

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 The-Apostle
Wait... Spitz was a backup. My mistake... >_>
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts
The Eagles signings were all solid and they will no doubt be an NFC favorite. The Pats signings are total risks on players who are pretty much over the hill and non factors. Revis can cover Ochocinco in his sleep. I'm not eve sure if the Patriots are a top 4 team in the AFC never mind a SB contender. They've taken a few steps back and have yet to recover. B&B... Belichick and Brady have done nothing come playoff time for a few years now. No way are they a SB favorite in the AFC.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#221 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I love it, people jumping on the Patriots/Eagles bandwagon already. Master_Live
I do not like bandwagoners on my team. It was a pain as a Pats fan last season.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

Really? What about the Packers, Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Bears, etc.? People, the season hasn't even started yet...

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]I think it's safe to say an Eagles vs. Patriots superbowl rematch is highly likely.SilentSoprano

Really? What about the Packers, Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Bears, etc.? People, the season hasn't even started yet...

Not sure I'd include the Bears in that group, I'd honestly be surprised if they even earn a wild card.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]I think it's safe to say an Eagles vs. Patriots superbowl rematch is highly likely.QuistisTrepe_

Not sure I'd include the Bears in that group, I'd honestly be surprised if they even earn a wild card.

or the Colts for that matter... or the Ravens since they simply can not get pass the Steelers
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Fuhgeddabouditt
[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]

No_Hablo_Ingles

How do you know? I'm not saying he will, but it's certainly possible. Even more so if they switch from the 3-4 to the 4-3

its just my guess and its pretty safe to say that most likely it wont happen. The fool was crying and making baby faces for getting 100 million dollars and still flopped. I was watching NFLN all day on Friday and Warren Sapp said (its a sad that when I quote Warren Sapp), hes a dog that is all bark, no bite. With 10 yrs, he only has 30 something sacks whereas for Sapp, it took him 2 years to get 30. Hes overrated and im sure he wont do anything as a Pat. If im wrong, ill be the first to run to you and say opps, my bad :P.
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Fuhgeddabouditt

Its again official, Edwards wont be coming back (assuming no one takes him and he comes back down to reality with his asking price) so instead the JETS have signed...

I dont know about this :? Hes a tall threat in the redzone but...how does he move around after all this time?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50624 Posts

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]I think it's safe to say an Eagles vs. Patriots superbowl rematch is highly likely.SilentSoprano

Bears? lol
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Chutebox  Online

Its again official, Edwards wont be coming back (assuming no one takes him and he comes back down to reality with his asking price) so instead the JETS have signed...

I dont know about this :? Hes a tall threat in the redzone but...how does he move around after all this time?

Fuhgeddabouditt

I would take Plaxico over Edwards any day. Same type of receiver but he doesn't have suspect hands.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Chutebox  Online
:lol: The Eagles are getting everyone! I wonder how much #7 has to do with all these top free agents ending up in Philly :DNo_Hablo_Ingles
Ugh, 0 dude. I think you're over reacting about him just a bit lol.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]:lol: The Eagles are getting everyone! I wonder how much #7 has to do with all these top free agents ending up in Philly :DChutebox
Ugh, 0 dude. I think you're over reacting about him just a bit lol.

:lol: well I wouldn't say 0 (defensive players like playing with a team that can score).... but I know it's low. I NEVER OVER REACT! HOW DARE YOU SAY SUCH A THING!?
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Fuhgeddabouditt

[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]

Chutebox

I would take Plaxico over Edwards any day. Same type of receiver but he doesn't have suspect hands.

Edwards no longer has suspect hand. Heck, I dont think he dropped a ball all of last season and he did catch some very tough ones. Hes also a better blocker. Edwards.... :cry:
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 No_Hablo_Ingles
Edwards dropped 1 pass last season.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
The Plax move makes no sense what so ever. He hasn't played in a long time. That right there puts Randy Moss and Braylon Edwards ahead of him to me. He is the same age as Randy Moss so that can't be the issue. Braylon Edwards had a solid year last year so it wasn't his performance. The only thing that could have put Braylon out and kept Moss away was money. But the Jets saved some dough by missing out on the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes so why were they so public about not wanting to pay Braylon Edwards? The Jets FA activity has been a real head scratcher.
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 ohjtbehaaave

Plexico might take a little while to get the rust off... but he's a much more dangerous WR than B.Edwards ever was in his career. Holmes, Plex, Cotchery and D.Keller at TE forms a pretty dangers receiving corp to go with a good running game.

And what are the Bears doing? They are signing every bust that other NFL teams couldn't wait to cut. Vernon Gholston? lol. He flat out blows as a pro.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 No_Hablo_Ingles
Nnamdi screwed the jets so freaking hard, I almost feel bad....then I realize I'm a Pats supporter.... and the Eagles got him then I just laugh. Any news on if Asante is getting traded?
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 ohjtbehaaave
I'm not that mad the Jets didn't get Nnamdi. Having Revis is enough. That signing would have killed their salary cap and they would lose a lot of guys in the future. The Jets management was dumb going after him so hard because they ignored their other needs. They will miss Brad Smith running the Wildcat and on Special teams.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 No_Hablo_Ingles
They may lose cromartie too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Yeah they misused Brad Smith just like they missed out on Danny Woodhead last year. The Jets have made some boneheaded moves that past couple years.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 QuistisTrepe_

Oh goodie, the Bears add yet another ex-Cowboy. Not sure what we intend to do with Marion Barber. Now we just need a gutless douche of a QB just like Dallas, oh wait, we already have that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 deactivated-583e460ca986b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31ELjaFkO4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydu5nJtGUM0&NR=1 These were both last season. Why people think hes slow or washed up is beyond me. The dude can still ball!
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 QuistisTrepe_

Plexico might take a little while to get the rust off... but he's a much more dangerous WR than B.Edwards ever was in his career. Holmes, Plex, Cotchery and D.Keller at TE forms a pretty dangers receiving corp to go with a good running game.

And what are the Bears doing? They are signing every bust that other NFL teams couldn't wait to cut. Vernon Gholston? lol. He flat out blows as a pro.

ohjtbehaaave

And we added another first round bust, Amobi Okoye. I get that these signings are low risk for the most part, but still. We should sign some first round busts on the offense so we can keep Chris Williams company. Oh wait, that would be Roy Williams, cool, we're set.

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

[QUOTE="ohjtbehaaave"]

QuistisTrepe_

And we added another first round bust, Amobi Okoye. I get that these signings are low risk for the most part, but still. We should sign some first round busts on the offense so we can keep Chris Williams company. Oh wait, that would be Roy Williams, cool, we're set.

The Bears are looking more and more like the Chicago Cowboys with these acquisitions. However, I can kind of, sort of, understand what they're doing. I just won't be going nuts until we upgrade the turnstyle O-line that we have, at the moment.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 theone86

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="ohjtbehaaave"]

bigdcstile

The Bears are looking more and more like the Chicago Cowboys with these acquisitions. However, I can kind of, sort of, understand what they're doing. I just won't be going nuts until we upgrade the turnstyle O-line that we have, at the moment.

The D-line doesn't bother me all that much, Marinelli has always been one to take on projects at that position, and it's not like we're overpaying. I almost lost it when I saw we singed Barber, but when I saw how much we were paying him I breathed a sigh of relief. I was just worried we were going to be paying him starter money, but now it looks like we're paying him backup money and either he or Chester Taylor won't be here at the beginning of the season. The thing that is driving me nuts is passing on all those OTHER good, big receivers and going for Roy instead and then trading Greg Olsen. It's like they saw our receiving corps get manhandled against Green Bay so what do they do? They set out to try and make it worse.

O-line is a bit of a concern, but these players that are getting signed by other teams are commanding some damn hefty contracts, and a lot of them are opting to stay with their original team anyway so we might not have ever had a chance at signing them. The O-line is more a sign of Jerry not being able to draft and the coaches not being able to develop, not so much of them doing nothing in free agency. Not that I'm trying to defend Angelo, he put his back up against the wall, but it's really hard to make great O-line moves in free agency without giving up a ton of money.

ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 ohjtbehaaave
In another savvy move the Bears just brought Refrigerator Perry out of retirement and gave him a lucrative 3 year deal!
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 No_Hablo_Ingles
And it looks like Nnamdi was all about the $$$. ohjtbehaaave
What? I doubt the Eagles were the highest bidder.
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 ohjtbehaaave
You're right. He had better offers and left them on the table. He felt the Eagles were his best chance to get to the SB. We'll see. Vick better stay healthy.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 No_Hablo_Ingles
Lets not call them "better offers" I like to think he took the best offer :P Well I don't blame him. Playing with an offense like the Eagles gives him a better chance to win a SB in my, bias, opinion then the Jets. I really hope they keep Asante, maybe even move him to safety....
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 The-Apostle
We re-signed James Jones. At least we got one decent free agent to return... Too bad Nick Barnett went to the Bills. :(
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 theone86

We re-signed James Jones. At least we got one decent free agent to return... Too bad Nick Barnett went to the Bills. :(The-Apostle

LOL, James Jones, are you kidding me? I think you're way too focused on just re-signing players and not focused enough on re-signing the right players. Barnett has injury problems, Cullen Jenkins was asking for too much money, and no one expected them to return at the start of free agency because the Packers seem to have replacements lined up for them. As for James Jones, if he ever learns how to catch the ball then that might be a good signing, until then I wouldn't be too excited about it. As mad as I've been about Roy Williams, there was one free agent receiver I absolutely did NOT want on the Bears, and that's James Jones. Butterfingers are team-killers.