What old school game are you playing right now?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

To celebrate the return of the legacy board, I mean "Retro Gaming," I thought this would be an appropriate first topic. :D

Right now, I'm playing The Misadventures of Tron Bonne since it was finally put on PSN earlier this week. It's such a charming game, and playing it on the PS3 sure beats spending $300 for the PS1 disc. It also gives me hope that Mega Man Legends 1 & 2 will eventually make it there one day as well, but we'll see... this is Capcom after all.

So what are you guys playing?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I be playing some Super Metroid on the Wii U VC. Fantastic game. It's not something I would have been able to get into in my youth, so I'm glad I finally picked it up a couple years back.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I be playing some Super Metroid on the Wii U VC. Fantastic game. It's not something I would have been able to get into in my youth, so I'm glad I finally picked it up a couple years back.

Ha, that's also very similar to my experience with Super Metroid. I got it for the SNES some years back and absolutely loved it, but if I had played it in the 90's, there's no way I would have liked it.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

playing some old school fps on pc. Blood and Hexen ( and reminded me how much better single plaer fps games were back then )

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Mario 64 Japanese version (I practice speed runs), ogre battle 64, and original fire emblem on GBA currently.

Glad we got these forums back!

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Pacman World ( GBA ) in my Wii ( I´ve been playing in my DS Lite too ), I still have to purchase a NES and SNES controllers and an adapter to play both libraries I have in my Wii through the WiiMote.

Originally I was seriously thinking about purchasing both consoles, but man, cartridges in good condition are expensive ! but if I can play them in my Wii that´s what I´m going to do. That does´t mean I won´t purchase both consoles, I´ll probably will but not to play, just to exhibit.

Now, I could only find my PS1 ....

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By N64DD

@raugutcon said:

Pacman World ( GBA ) in my Wii ( I´ve been playing in my DS Lite too ), I still have to purchase a NES and SNES controllers and an adapter to play both libraries I have in my Wii through the WiiMote.

Originally I was seriously thinking about purchasing both consoles, but man, cartridges in good condition are expensive ! but if I can play them in my Wii that´s what I´m going to do. That does´t mean I won´t purchase both consoles, I´ll probably will but not to play, just to exhibit.

Now, I could only find my PS1 ....

NES isn't that bad for cartridges, which games were expensive to you?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Harvest Moon: BTN - PSOne

Diablo - PSOne

Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast

Shadowrun - Genesis

Warcraft - MS DOS

- played all these before, but why not relive great experiences, eh?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Always playing this game.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Been playing Super Metroid, Earthworm Jim 2, Sonic 2, Spyro 1. Love em all.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD

@xantufrog said:

Harvest Moon: BTN - PSOne

Diablo - PSOne

Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast

Shadowrun - Genesis

Warcraft - MS DOS

- played all these before, but why not relive great experiences, eh?

I just picked up Skies of Arcadia, do you have the HD component cable?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I mentioned this in another thread but I'm working on Castlevania 4 atm. I'm on the last level. Next I plan to work on Rondo of Blood. Before that I finished Aria of Sorrow, Harmony of dissonance and Castlevania 3. I tried to get into Metroid: Zero Mission but didn't appeal to me.

I have a huge list of old games I want to either replay or play for the first time but it's hard to get into sometimes and opportunities or mood to play is short.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56150 Posts

I'm still playing my N64 games on an old t.v just for that, (don't know if it can handle HD t.v) and the following games are: Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros. Quest 64, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. I been playing Goldeneye the most and my all time favorite N64 game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@n64dd said:
@xantufrog said:

I'm using the VGA adapter, actually. You can pick up a decent one from RacketBoy, for example - assumes your TV has a VGA port, of course, but most Dreamcast games are VGA compatible and it winds up putting out 640x480p (same resolution as the original Wii!)

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N64DD

@xantufrog said:
@n64dd said:
@xantufrog said:

I'm using the VGA adapter, actually. You can pick up a decent one from RacketBoy, for example - assumes your TV has a VGA port, of course, but most Dreamcast games are VGA compatible and it winds up putting out 640x480p (same resolution as the original Wii!)

I have the same thing. I still have never hooked it up like that yet!

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#16 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts

I recently played Mortal Kombat II on the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on PS3.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N64DD

@TAMKFan said:

I recently played Mortal Kombat II on the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on PS3.

Kung Lao is so solid in that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Mario 64. Can't ever get enough of this game, but also don't have it memorized like I used to.

I would have to say it might be the best videogame ever created. I'd like to see Nintendo have the balls to make a 3D platformer. Mario Galaxy is not a 3D platformer. Mario 3D World is not a 3d platformer. They play in the 3d space but they don't have the dynamics of Mario 64. Mario 64 has this minute timing and deals with precision, angles, etc. When you do something great in 64 you feel like you've accomplished something.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

Lately I've been playing the GBA version of Final Fantasy 1, Dick Tracy & Moonwalker on the Genesis, Splatterhouse on TG16, and Turtles in Time on the SNES.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N64DD

@Heirren: It is my personal favorite game of all time. I have a first print sealed copy that I am sending in to get rated. I also agree with you. They haven't touched the same of awesomeness since Mario Sunshine.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

Star Wars games:

-KOTOR II

-Republic Commando

Non-Star Wars:

-BloodRayne

-Civ III

-DA: Origins (need to get back to this, actually)

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

been on a dragons lair kick, started with dragons lair 3d on gamecube which was awesome, then dragons lair 2 on pc which is one of my all time favorite arcade games. Right now I am playing the original dragons lair on pc, then for shits and giggles I plan on playing the atrocious nes and snes dragons lair games.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have a number of N64 games on Virtual Console. Wave Race 64 is my favorite. There's also Need For Speed Underground on the PS2.

The PC? Too many to list. But, I'm very partial to C&C.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14809 Posts

Earthworm Jim on Genesis. I love the music for that game.

AGzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AGzee
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts

If Quake counts in a retro, then I'm playing Quake these days. Along with it, I'm playing DOOM! =D

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Symphony of the Night. Pretty neat.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Paper Mario on Wii U vc. Love everything about the game except for the crappy music. :P

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PimpHand_Gamer

Well I beat Castlevania 4 finally but decided I don't feel like playing Rondo of Blood now. Not sure what to play. Maybe Mc Kids for NES, from what I remember, it was a pretty solid and fun platformer.

@thecouchpotater said:

Lately I've been playing the GBA version of Final Fantasy 1, Dick Tracy & Moonwalker on the Genesis, Splatterhouse on TG16, and Turtles in Time on the SNES.

I loved Dick Tracy back in the day at least. Haven't played it since it came out when I was in HS. Moonwalker arcade version was better than the Genesis version imo. You can play it through your web browser here: http://gameswebfree.com/free-play-online/555/michael-jacksons-moonwalker-mame.html#.VU6EAc7Fvfs

Plus they have a ton of other old school games obviously.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Metal Slug 3. It is very unbalanced, but I keep starting it for more.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3228 Posts

I finished Final Fantasy 1 for the NES a while ago and about to finish Final Fantasy II the Famicom version which is hard as hell. The game improves everything from FF1 except for leveling up. My god is it very tedious, and I just don't like this type of leveling system at all. Anyways ready for Final Fantasy III Famicom version next. Hopefully it turns out better then FFII did.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3228 Posts

@Heirren said:

Mario 64. Can't ever get enough of this game, but also don't have it memorized like I used to.

I would have to say it might be the best videogame ever created. I'd like to see Nintendo have the balls to make a 3D platformer. Mario Galaxy is not a 3D platformer. Mario 3D World is not a 3d platformer. They play in the 3d space but they don't have the dynamics of Mario 64. Mario 64 has this minute timing and deals with precision, angles, etc. When you do something great in 64 you feel like you've accomplished something.

Yeah Super Mario 64 is one of the best game ever made and still love it to this day. It's too bad that the game gets a lot of hate on System Wars. Seriously everyone attacks you for just saying that Mario 64 is a great game lol.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N64DD

@AcidTango said:
@Heirren said:

Yeah Super Mario 64 is one of the best game ever made and still love it to this day. It's too bad that the game gets a lot of hate on System Wars. Seriously everyone attacks you for just saying that Mario 64 is a great game lol.

It's my all time favorite game. I don't care what anybody says, that game always puts a huge smile on my face.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@AcidTango said:
@Heirren said:

It is a case of "well I am no good at the game so the game sucks". "Hasn't 'aged' well.....the controls are horrible".................lol, the controls are the game and they are what make it so great. People discredit it without reason, except for the camera.

Everything about the games controls and exploration is unrivaled by anything to this day.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Playing through the good version of Zelda II Battle of Olympus right now.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm in the middle of a Jurassic Park marathon at the moment including JP on Game Gear and Genesis, JP Rampage Edition on Genesis, and Lost World on Game Gear, Genesis and PS1.

I've beat both Game Gear titles and have beat JP on Genesis as Grant. I'm now playing as the raptor. Next up will be JP Rampage Edition.

I'm trying to complete the marathon before Jurassic World hits theaters.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PimpHand_Gamer

I played about 20 minutes of Bubble Trouble for the Atari Lynx today. Kinda hard.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator

@Heirren said:
@AcidTango said:
@Heirren said:

It is a case of "well I am no good at the game so the game sucks". "Hasn't 'aged' well.....the controls are horrible".................lol, the controls are the game and they are what make it so great. People discredit it without reason, except for the camera.

Everything about the games controls and exploration is unrivaled by anything to this day.

To be honest, I think Mario 64 still holds well in today's standards but the DS version is were it's at if you ask me. It's what made me get an N64 back in 1996.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#38 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Playing through System Shock 2 at the moment. Solid game, although the damn suicide bombing robots really make me mad. Still, I like it more than Bioshock.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I've been playing through the Donkey Kong Country Rare trilogy, I'm near the end of the third one at the moment.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#40 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

ninja Gaiden black (Xbox)

Phantasy star online (dream cast)

Super Mario bros 3 (wiiu)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@davillain-:

What makes you say the DS version is better? I feel the opposite, by far. N64 stick is essential.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Heirren: The only thing better about the N64 version is the resolution, everything else looks better on the DS. plus it has extra content. I prefer the DS version because it has way more things to do. It has multiplayer battles, more stars, more missions, mini-games, more characters. But again, Mario 64 still holds well and shouldn't be overlooked, it's really a fun game. One thing about the DS version is that you can take it whatever you go.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Contra Hard Corps on the Genesis.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@davillain- said:

@Heirren: The only thing better about the N64 version is the resolution, everything else looks better on the DS. plus it has extra content. I prefer the DS version because it has way more things to do. It has multiplayer battles, more stars, more missions, mini-games, more characters. But again, Mario 64 still holds well and shouldn't be overlooked, it's really a fun game. One thing about the DS version is that you can take it whatever you go.

It looks worse to me. It has an ugly color palette and the game is too pixelated. The ds version also strips the mystery from the game. There is a story to mario 64 that is told in the most non intrusive way possible which lets the player create the action and discover the events as it goes on. The ds version is also stuck on digital control and even with the 3ds potential slider option--that thing isn't nearly as responsive to minute movements as the N64 stick, of which is gated and benefits actual play in this instant.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:
@thecouchpotater said:

I loved Dick Tracy back in the day at least. Haven't played it since it came out when I was in HS. Moonwalker arcade version was better than the Genesis version imo. You can play it through your web browser here: http://gameswebfree.com/free-play-online/555/michael-jacksons-moonwalker-mame.html#.VU6EAc7Fvfs

Plus they have a ton of other old school games obviously.

Yeah Dick Tracy and Moonwalker were in my initial batch of Genesis games back in the day (Ghostbusters and Rambo were other stand outs for me), so replaying them is a bit of a nostalgia thing. Never beat Dick Tracy though, gets pretty challenging.

I'll have to check out the arcade version of Moonwalker, will probably throw it on my Ouya for TV play at some point.

Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

Streets of Rage 2.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178850 Posts

Final Fantasy IV on the PS.

anthony_arcade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 anthony_arcade
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@n64dd

I'm kinda getting addicted to this new retro arcade type of game, its pretty underground at the moment but I just feel like there's this mad hype, or new wave coming along! has anyone played Jumpanzi on iPhone yet??

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By N64DD

@anthony_arcade said:

@n64dd

I'm kinda getting addicted to this new retro arcade type of game, its pretty underground at the moment but I just feel like there's this mad hype, or new wave coming along! has anyone played Jumpanzi on iPhone yet??

Nice subtle advertisement/spam.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

Donkey Kong Land's 1, 2, & 3

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night

Castlevania's 1 & 3
Super Mario Bros. 3

Sonic Rush and Sonic Colors for the DS (they count as retro for me)