Anybody Else Decided To Hold Back On Buying The PS4?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supes1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 supes1984
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I'm originally a PS1, PS2 owner then went to Xbox 360 and now a PS3 owner. In the past I have generally preordered and bought the systems on Launch day or shortly after it. 

However this time around I have decided I'm going to wait probably a few months to a year, before possibly investing in a PS4. 

At current I have 50 games for my PS3, many which I haven't even had time to complete yet, but the biggest put off the PS4 is for me. Is the inability to backwards compatibility games on the PS4, which is a major reason I'm holding back. 

I did hear a couple of months back Sony might release a second or third generation PS4, that might allow PS3 backwards compatbility for games. Which I might decide to wait and see if that happens. 

I know a lot of people won't be bother if the PS4 doesn't play PS3 games as well, but is anybody else like me deciding to hold back for the time on getting the PS4?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I wish I had the willpower like you to wait.

It's probably a better decision because you will get better deals and could find ps4 games for cheaper when they are used or people selling on cragislist, etc.

I also have a huge backlog of games to play for the ps3, BUT I will be getting ps4 at launch. Not to mention games I still have to get for ps3 that come out before christmas.

supes1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 supes1984
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

It's probably a better decision because you will get better deals and could find ps4 games for cheaper when they are used or people selling on cragislist, etc.

I also have a huge backlog of games to play for the ps3, BUT I will be getting ps4 at launch. Not to mention games I still have to get for ps3 that come out before christmas.

marcheegsr

I don't always have the willpower with everything lol, yep me too, waiting for Saints Row IV tomorrow, GTA V next month, then Batman Arkham Origins and Watch Dogs :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

[QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

The_Kryptonian

I don't always have the willpower with everything lol, yep me too, waiting for Saints Row IV tomorrow, GTA V next month, then Batman Arkham Origins and Watch Dogs :)

I can't wait for GTA V its gonna be sweet.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Lack of an extra $399 + tax help me hold back; along with few launch titles I want.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Probably going to cancel my preorder. Had it fully payed off at Gamestop but now that I look into it more most of the launch games I preordered (BF4, Watch Dogs, AC4) I may as well just buy on PC. 

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts
I'm going to wait until I've graduated University until I consider buying one. It'll give me a chance to save up some moneys
FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
yep, im holding back - but only because none of the launch games interest me.
Stargazer1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stargazer1293
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
As a broke college student who isn't completely wowed by the launch lineup, I'm holding off until I have both the time and money to put into a PS4. That said, my willpower will probably break down when Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 are released.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
nope. it'll be sitting by my door on Nov 15. :D
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't see a reason to get one right away. I'm not blown away by any of the exclusives, and I can wait a while on the other games while I'm going through my backlog on the PS3 in the meantime.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
yep, im holding back - but only because none of the launch games interest me.FinalFighters
Same here. And it fits for me financially. That is unless my family surprises me by getting me it for my birthday.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
I have one pre ordered already, but I am still thinking about it
midway_nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 midway_nights
Member since 2006 • 576 Posts

The thing is one day or another we will have to buy and then salute play station.

so it doesnt matter if you buy it on launch day or this christmas or next year.

i would say if you got money to spend for christmas whats better than to invest in a gaming console?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#15 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I've had a PS3 for a year and a half.

I have like, 10 games.

There's NO way I'll be getting a PS4 for at least 2-3 years, I haven't scratched the surface of PS3's library.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I wish I could hold off for a year to play my PS3 backlog.. but I can't. Day One buy.. with 6 or so games already paid off. I'll keep my ps3 and slowly work through those games.. or maybe I won't.. time will tell.
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Yeah I'm waiting. Other than Killzone the lineup is rather weak.
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Already have it paid off.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Backlog on PS3, Steam, and PS2 is too big. Probably won't get one until at year after launch. Maybe sooner.....

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I'm originally a PS1, PS2 owner then went to Xbox 360 and now a PS3 owner. In the past I have generally preordered and bought the systems on Launch day or shortly after it. 

However this time around I have decided I'm going to wait probably a few months to a year, before possibly investing in a PS4. 

At current I have 50 games for my PS3, many which I haven't even had time to complete yet, but the biggest put off the PS4 is for me. Is the inability to backwards compatibility games on the PS4, which is a major reason I'm holding back. 

I did hear a couple of months back Sony might release a second or third generation PS4, that might allow PS3 backwards compatbility for games. Which I might decide to wait and see if that happens. 

I know a lot of people won't be bother if the PS4 doesn't play PS3 games as well, but is anybody else like me deciding to hold back for the time on getting the PS4?

The_Kryptonian
I don't understand this complaint. Will buying a PS4 make your 3 vanish somehow? Just keep it. I have a PS4 happily preordered. It will be my only console this gen. Most likely will get Killzone ( never liked them but this one looks awesome) Watchdogs and Driveclub (free with PSN+.
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I definitely want one but I graduate college the exact same day as the PS4 is being released. :cry:

I have to move back home, start my internship, find a place to live, take over a car note, pay rent, etc. The earliest I'll be able to get one is mid-2014. That's ok though. I'll have the new XCOM: Enemy Within expansion to keep me busy.

I'm wary of buying launch consoles anyways. After this gen's RROD and YLOD fiascos I'm not sure what to think.

cosmicwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 cosmicwave
Member since 2005 • 1237 Posts
Won't be getting it until next year. Too many good games coming out on ps3, FFX, beyond two souls, killer is dead, GTAV...
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#23 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I decided not to buy until it receives a price cut. Came to that conclusion when I took a long hard look at my backlog. At least 50 now that I haven't played yet. Another 15-20 I am going to pick up. 3-5 more that haven't released yet. Why would I want to buy a new console for 1 or 2 games that look 'nice'? I can use that extra funds to upgrade my TV/Theatre set up.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vpacalypse
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

Current gen = better value, more games, potentially better gameplay till the developers get a hold of next gen.

I'd rather wait 2-3 year when a price drop is out/ more games/ services ready to use.

I'll get next gen when it's ready.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Me. But only because there are still +50 games that I still need to play on the amazing Playstation 3.

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
if I do get one it will be a few years down the road. I'm still plenty happy with my PS3 and got plenty of games to play and ones to go back for.
toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

Nah, I'm getting it on launch day. 

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Why wait? I'm going in balls and all.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sukraj

Ps4 launch line up is very weak.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I'm waiting, as well. Just for different reasons. I'm going to be way too busy October - January, so I'll prob pick up a PS4 right after.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
No way, 7-8 years with the PS3 is plenty! PS4 is about 2 years overdue at this point.... Still love and will continue to play my PS3 but I cant wait to get my 4. I know you will see hundreds of "Do you wish you waited?" threads at launch though.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#32 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I was planning to, but then I couldn't help myself and pre-ordered it

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

The price of the PS4 is what got me sold...other then that I would be waiting also. I had planned on getting an extra current-gen console for my spare room but when I saw the price of the PS4, I decided that was wasn't a big gap in cost.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sukraj

Venom_Raptor

I thought u we're going to buy a xbox one.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Other than Killzone, don't know what else I would get. Would rather wait for a better opportunity.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
I wish I could hold off for a year to play my PS3 backlog.. but I can't. Day One buy.. with 6 or so games already paid off. I'll keep my ps3 and slowly work through those games.. or maybe I won't.. time will tell.Rattlesnake_8
Same here. My PS3 games are not going anywhere.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#37 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

sukraj

I thought u we're going to buy a xbox one.

What made you think that?

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#38 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i'm sure i'll buy one; it just won't be at launch. it really comes down to games and gaikai.

the launch lineup has a few games i'd like to try like hohokum and planetside 2, but it's nothing i can't wait on. there will be a lot more releases later on that will make me more eager to get new hardware.

gaikai might be an even bigger issue. sony is forcing ps+ in order to pay for gaikai, but the service won't be up at launch. it's a stupid policy and i'd much rather wait to see what i'm buying before i pay for it.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm difinitely holding back on PS4. There are no launch games of any interest to me and I wish to avoid the chance of having a faulty launch system. Besides, My other consoles are jam packed with releases that I'll end up with more games than I can deal with for the rest of this year.

I may break down and buy the PS4 when inFAMOUS Second Son releases though. I love that series.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm waiting for Second Son and Destiny.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I am getting one on launch for sure. Why wait? The price isn't going anywhere for a long time.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I am getting one on launch for sure. Why wait? The price isn't going anywhere for a long time.AutoPilotOn
Lack of interesting games.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

I've had a PS3 for a year and a half.

I have like, 10 games.

There's NO way I'll be getting a PS4 for at least 2-3 years, I haven't scratched the surface of PS3's library.

Oh man, and you have so many great games to play AND you'll get them so inexpensively now.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
I am waiting for a few reasons, and I'm usually an launch buyer: 1. Paying for online 2. Waiting for a price drop 3. Potential Faulty System Design (Got burned by YLOD) 4. Lack of TRULY great games at launch 5. I mainly play fighting games anyway and it will be awhile before they make it on next gen
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I'll soon have GTAV and about 10 other games to finish. And then Dark Souls II. Imma wait.
DemonicBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DemonicBrew
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
yeah i was going to get one but thinking about it ill just wait til more games come out and i finish all my games i have not played yet.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I'll be getting the PS4 and keeping my PS3 for Dark Souls 2, Beyond Two Souls, and possibly GTA V if it eventually doesn't make the leap to next gen.

True, waiting probably is a good idea for deals and all that, but I want to get into KZ and AC4 on next gen, and I just want to get a new system.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

I have one preordered but might cancel it and just wait a year or so. First wave games for any system are always average at best. And I have a feeling GTA 5 with DLC will end up on the PS4 next year. So why not get it then.

noobbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#49 noobbreaker
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts

I got to hold off and show some discpline I have So so many ps3 and pc game to play!

psi_kick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 psi_kick
Member since 2011 • 49 Posts

Generally it's a game that gets me to buy a system. Unless something comes out on the PS4 that I can't get for the PS3 or is vastly superior to the PS3 version, I may never get one. I might wait for the PS5. I wouldn't be surprised if all the hype about how good the sales of the next gen systems are going to be is wrong.