The Starcraft 2 Thread - Keep all discussion in here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#401 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

Hey how's the queues and all that? How many minutes to find a game online? It's either this or some fps game, preferably this but I want quick queues. For example, I LOVED the online play in UFC 2009 but it took 5+ minutes to find a fight which really turned me off a lot.

Bikouchu35

It takes fast as blink and a click, five seconds to find a quick match.

Definitely. It's very very quick to find a match against someone, regardless if it's 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#402 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Duke Nukem reference in Starcraft 2.

Tychus Finley says, "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum!" XD

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#404 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

LOL, my friend just linked this on Facebook. Probably old news, but still....

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#405 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

[QUOTE="wes008"]

[QUOTE="mhofever"]

Bloody hell, just finished the campaign and I loved it. I really can't wait for Heart of the Swarm to see where the story is going to go.

Vfanek

IIRC, Legacy of the Void is coming first. I'm on the last mission. Can't wait to see how it ends :)

You're wrong.

Memory fail (for me) :P

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#406 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Someone was kind enough to give me a guest pass. I'm downloading the game right now as I type this. I can't wait until it's done. Based on the gameplay footage I've seen, it should be pretty good.

emeraldichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 emeraldichigo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Ok, there is no way in hell im reading 21 pages of posts. haha. But im putting it simple, has anyone noticed the region lock on multiplayer yet? I know they said its getting lifted after 60 days. But it seems there is enough people playing in Oz that its not really noticible.

I have managed to finish the campaign on normal, but since my net was being screwey when it came out i could get achievements and stuff for a lot of the missions, so im going through those missions again on normal to get the completionest achievement while going over Hard as well. I havent played much SC before SCII but i have a little expierence with it and it helps a little bit, But im still not that good, but each match is a learning curve to help me pull together strats for protoss. Im trying to think of more, I have tried out the two barracks and reactor rush, It worked, but it could have some fatal consequences.

Anyway if y'all want to add me

Emerald

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#408 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

the yougamers.com actual system requirements (via proper optimization tests) have changed the gpu system requirements to

8600gt/hd 2900pro (for minimum) and the recommended to gtx 280 /hd 4850

the memory requirements have been bumped to 2gb (minimum)/4gb (rec.)

the cpu requirements have been upped to any intel core 2 duo or athalon 64 x2(2.4ghz or better) and any core 2 duo over 2.6ghz or amd equivalent.

http://www.yougamers.com/reviews/28868_starcraft_ii_wings_of_liberty-page5/

their review score 97/100

MisterEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 MisterEditor
Member since 2010 • 185 Posts

the yougamers.com actual system requirements (via proper optimization tests) have changed the gpu system requirements to

8600gt/hd 2900pro (for minimum) and the recommended to gtx 280 /hd 4850

the memory requirements have been bumped to 2gb (minimum)/4gb (rec.)

the cpu requirements have been upped to any intel core 2 duo or athalon 64 x2(2.4ghz or better) and any core 2 duo over 2.6ghz or amd equivalent.

http://www.yougamers.com/reviews/28868_starcraft_ii_wings_of_liberty-page5/

their review score 97/100

ionusX
This sounds about right. The Blizzards estimate is a bit of a lowball imo.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 BluRayHiDef

I'm currently using an HDTV as a monitor. It has a 26" screen with a native resolution of 1360x768. I'd like to know if the resolution really affects the quality of a game's graphics, such as StarCraft 2. For example, if I were to get a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080, would the image quality look much better than that of the following screen captures I took from my trial-run of the game? The screen captures are 1360x768. I'm pretty sure it would look sharper, but will the graphics look better? If so, in what ways?

Name for Pic

Name for Pic

Name for PicName for Pic

Name for PicName for Pic

Hockenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#411 Hockenberry
Member since 2003 • 165 Posts

How do I PLAY the game? I am getting pissed off, I have a very good compuyter and everything and sadly I have to create a battle.net ID which is stupid cus I dont care about posting my points or whatever it is. Ok so I installed the whole game and everytime I type in my battle.net ID it takes me to the website and I dont know what they want me to do from there. Any ideas? Thanks!

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#412 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

How do I PLAY the game? I am getting pissed off, I have a very good compuyter and everything and sadly I have to create a battle.net ID which is stupid cus I dont care about posting my points or whatever it is. Ok so I installed the whole game and everytime I type in my battle.net ID it takes me to the website and I dont know what they want me to do from there. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hockenberry

Did you register it online? If you purchased it from a store, on the disc sleeve there is a code. You have to activate your game with that code on the website it takes you to.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
26" with a resolution that low, what the hell? Still though, while getting better resolution will provide an improvement (especially as you have such a big monitor) it's not the be all end all, it'll still look good. It'll as you said look sharper/crisper, and all in all everything won't be stupidly oversized. Try setting your resolution to 800x600 for a second and you'll see what I mean.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#414 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
26" with a resolution that low, what the hell? Still though, while getting better resolution will provide an improvement (especially as you have such a big monitor) it's not the be all end all, it'll still look good. It'll as you said look sharper/crisper, and all in all everything won't be stupidly oversized. Try setting your resolution to 800x600 for a second and you'll see what I mean.Vfanek
Well it's an HDTV, most TVs at around that size are 720p - and many 720p TVs let you go up to 1360x768. My recommendation would be to try to get a monitor that goes up to 1680x1050. It's a very crisp resolution and won't hurt too bad performance-wise.
erikdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 erikdw
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

I've got two EU guest passes to give away:

-XC6BT4-27ER-FPNNPK-TRC2-289EED

-XCR29K-486E-T26WGN-WJYJ-BTWR2F

Better hurry if you're interested and please post here if you've activated one so other people won't waste their time.

(If you're not from the EU, you can still play. Singleplayer is the same. Multiplayer connects you to a EU server which probably means your ping will suffer.)

gandaf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 gandaf007
Member since 2009 • 892 Posts

I don't suppose anyone has a US guest pass or two I could have? If so, could you please send them to me via PM? Thanks.

Cheddarboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 Cheddarboxer
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Can anyone help me with activating the game on Battle.net? I go to my account on Battle.net and then to the "Add Games" screen. The options are to activate a game key or buy a digital download. I enter the key from the CD sleeve (26 letters and numbers), and the "Activate" button stays gray, so I cannot click it. I'm at a loss here
Cheddarboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 Cheddarboxer
If you fix my problem, I have a guest pass I could give you
altair_is_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 altair_is_me
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

Can anyone help me with activating the game on Battle.net? I go to my account on Battle.net and then to the "Add Games" screen. The options are to activate a game key or buy a digital download. I enter the key from the CD sleeve (26 letters and numbers), and the "Activate" button stays gray, so I cannot click it. I'm at a loss hereCheddarboxer

I'm having the same exact problem as you. anybody know what's up?

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

[QUOTE="Cheddarboxer"]Can anyone help me with activating the game on Battle.net? I go to my account on Battle.net and then to the "Add Games" screen. The options are to activate a game key or buy a digital download. I enter the key from the CD sleeve (26 letters and numbers), and the "Activate" button stays gray, so I cannot click it. I'm at a loss herealtair_is_me

I'm having the same exact problem as you. anybody know what's up?

That's weird. I type one letter and the Activate button turns blue. Try using a different browser maybe? Just for the purpose of registering the game.
rapiergv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 rapiergv
Member since 2009 • 164 Posts

I just wanted to post my starcraft 2 review here, mainly because i think it's a good game and needs defending against some widespread accusations, such as it being a remake and the "1/3rd of a game" issue. I tackled them both in my review, just wanted some other opinions. Also, sorry for my bad english in the review, i just wanted to lay down the ideas before i forgot them :)

FireCube01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 FireCube01
I love this game , i finished it in about 2 days . :)
Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

Is it just me or are the Skirmish Achievements bugged? I've played many skirmish games and there isn't even any progress on them.

Also, what does the "evenly matched" mean on some of the achievements? It can't be just 1v1, as I've done that and nothing has happened.

Morello964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 Morello964
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts

Is the game friendly to RTS noobs? Also here to beg for any free US passes o.O

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

Is the game friendly to RTS noobs? Also here to beg for any free US passes o.O

Morello964

The game is more noob friendly than its predecessors, but I gave away all my keys, sorry champ.

Did anyone else find the singleplayer campaign....underwhelming? What I mean is I expected quite a bit more out of the campaign that what it had. Y'see, I thoroughly enjoyed Mass Effect 2 as the best SP experience on the market and I wholeheartedly wanted this game to obliterate with ease....but I'm left discourgaed and not looking forward to the next games. I know I'll be flamed by everyone and their diamond league goldfish, however I'm just wondering what others see in the campaign that they say makes it so good. The gameplay is great and the art style reminiscent of the previous games, but SP was dull.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Hey, I want to ask do you guys have a slight lag in the beginning when using your recommended settings? I haven't touched my settings, everything Ultra, textures - High and when I launch a mission the game's unplayable because of the tearing which lasts like 10 seconds. Anybody experiencing this? Any ideas how to fix it? Lowering the settings almost doesn't work.
Memoryitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 Memoryitis
Member since 2006 • 2221 Posts
[QUOTE="Crimsader"]Hey, I want to ask do you guys have a slight lag in the beginning when using your recommended settings? I haven't touched my settings, everything Ultra, textures - High and when I launch a mission the game's unplayable because of the tearing which lasts like 10 seconds. Anybody experiencing this? Any ideas how to fix it? Lowering the settings almost doesn't work.

Yea, I have the same problem. Try updating the drivers of the video card maybe?
Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

It's been 15 days and my SC2 order hasn't even been shipped :x

The delay is killing me! I should have just bought it in store.

Xavier_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 Xavier_12
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts

Nagru
Umm...maybe cancel it and go pick it up??
Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="Nagru"]

Xavier_12

Umm...maybe cancel it and go pick it up??

Scratch that. Despite getting a "your order is still delayed" email, I just checked my order number and it says it was shipped today!

With any luck it'll arrive soon :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I cant believe how much I actually dislike this game. Its not even that I am that bad at it, it just seems boring. Mine minerials build army asap attack, rinse repeat,on the 14 mission or something I am on vacation this week so I figured i would play it but I am replaying masseffect2 on hard because it is more fun to me then this overhyped trash. Anyway here are 2 free pass cards for anyone that might enjoy this more then me.

KV7YFD-F2FD-KXNP9Z-RZ8Z-P2V8WC

BJ66HH-F684-CZCPB9-EZT9-9BNPBW

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
why does this game run so poorly after less than an hour of straight playtime? It starts just fine, on high or ultra settings. Then after about 2 missions things start slowing down and eventually I get a low memory warning, accompanied by a complete slowdown.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

How much physical memory doy ou have and what's your OS? If you have 2 Gb on Windows 7 64 bit, then there ya go champ.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 BluRayHiDef

I cant believe how much I actually dislike this game. Its not even that I am that bad at it, it just seems boring. Mine minerials build army asap attack, rinse repeat,on the 14 mission or something I am on vacation this week so I figured i would play it but I am replaying masseffect2 on hard because it is more fun to me then this overhyped trash.

Advid-Gamer

I agree with what you've said. I've played part of the game thanks to a user who was kind enough to give me a guest pass. I was really looking forward to trying the game out, but was ultimately disappointed. The cinematic trailers made the game's story seem epic and the characters came across as interesting. The problem for me is that the real-time gameplay fails to match up to the intensity delivered by the trailers and cutscenes. Though the game may have an epic story and interesting characters (I like Kerrigan's back story about how she became the Zerg infested Queen Of Blades), the gameplay just doesn't cut it for me. Watching tiny characters from a bird's eye view as they attack one another with simplistic outdated animations is very boring. It fails to provide the excitement that other types of games can provide in real time. This game seems as if it would only be exciting when you're watching the cutscenes. I suppose that the excitement comes from the strategic aspect of the game. However, though that may be enough for the typical RTS gamer, it isn't enough for me. A game needs to have immersive gameplay in addition to a good implementation of strategy. In the end, I guess the fault is not with the game, but with me. I am not an RTS fan. Based on what I've seen, I never liked RTS gaming. However, I figured that if I tried an RTS game myself, my opinion of the genre would probably change, but it didn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

I cant believe how much I actually dislike this game. Its not even that I am that bad at it, it just seems boring. Mine minerials build army asap attack, rinse repeat,on the 14 mission or something I am on vacation this week so I figured i would play it but I am replaying masseffect2 on hard because it is more fun to me then this overhyped trash.

BluRayHiDef

I agree with what you've said. I've played part of the game thanks to a user who was kind enough to give me a guest pass. I was really looking forward to trying the game out, but was ultimately disappointed. The cinematic trailers made the game's story seem epic and the characters came across as interesting. The problem for me is that the real-time gameplay fails to match up to the intensity delivered by the trailers and cutscenes. Though the game may have an epic story and interesting characters (I like Kerrigan's back story about how she became the Zerg infested Queen Of Blades), the gameplay just doesn't cut it for me. Watching tiny characters from a bird's eye view as they attack one another with simplistic outdated animations is very boring. It fails to provide the excitement that other types of games can provide in real time. This game seems as if it would only be exciting when you're watching the cutscenes. I suppose that the excitement comes from the strategic aspect of the game. However, though that may be enough for the typical RTS gamer, it isn't enough for me. A game needs to have immersive gameplay in addition to a good implementation of strategy. In the end, I guess the fault is not with the game, but with me. I am not an RTS fan. Based on what I've seen, I never liked RTS gaming. However, I figured that if I tried an RTS game myself, my opinion of the genre would probably change, but it didn't.

I fell the same, I was never really a rts fan but I caught up in the hype of this game. Everyone was going on about how amazing it was. The trailers and commericals are misleading. I really tried to like it, and I may finish it on a rainy day when I have nothing else to play, but I just cant see what the hell is so fun for people with the gameplay. I just dont get it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

And then all the big reviews tell us the singleplayer is the best thing since residence cascades and sliced bread. If I wanted mind blowing SP, Mass Effect 2 is where I'd head out to.

But I pretty much suck at RTSes competitively, and when I got stuck in the gold league for getting lucky, I lost interest.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

How much physical memory doy ou have and what's your OS? If you have 2 Gb on Windows 7 64 bit, then there ya go champ.

Sheppard212
I have 2GB on Win XP 32-bit. Judging by the graphics of SC2, and the performance I get on much better looking games, there's really no reason why this should slow down so much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Either add 1GB more memory, shut down background programs and processes you're not using or go fishing.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts
[QUOTE="F1_2004"] I have 2GB on Win XP 32-bit. Judging by the graphics of SC2, and the performance I get on much better looking games, there's really no reason why this should slow down so much.

Ultra uses about 1.8GB of memory if you play an hour or more. (It starts out a lot lower.)
erikdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 erikdw
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

why does this game run so poorly after less than an hour of straight playtime? It starts just fine, on high or ultra settings. Then after about 2 missions things start slowing down and eventually I get a low memory warning, accompanied by a complete slowdown.F1_2004

Right now there are many, many issues with the game. One of them is a bug that causes overheating of the video card because the game isn't properly frame capped. In other words the FPS (frames per second) can reach sky high levels to the point of frying your whole videocard.I know the game has been patched yesterday but I don't think they've fixed this bug already.

Some cards and setups (SLI) are more vurnable than others. I have a GTX 260 and I've encountered this bug myself. I've seen the FPS litterally go over 450 on my own pc.

You can check if this is your problem (you're description tells me it could be) by measuring your FPS. Press CTRL-ALT+F while playing and your FPS will show up in the top left corner of your monitor. Funny enough, the FPS reaches the highest levels on simple loading screens.

I found a small workaround for this problem. If your FPS reaches insane levels go to the options screen and activate V-sync. This forces the game to the default screen refresh rate of your monitor (probably around 60) which means your video card doesn't have to work so hard. V-sync can cause an overall performance drop though so try the game on high first instead of ultra.

BTW
If you want to know the temp of your video card download a program called Everest which monitors the heat and fan speed in your pc and look at the temperature of your videocard. Idle it should be around 45/55 Celcius (depends on case, cooling, etc.) and at full throtle 65/70 is acceptable. If your CPU or GPU goes above 75 you're bound for trouble.

Also, visit the official US forums and check some threads in the technical support section. I believe there's even a sticky there about this issue.

arbguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 arbguy1
BTW, who is this BluRayHiDef guy tracking my contributions?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

starcraft II added to the MLG monitored pro circut!

the mlg now fully recognizes starcraft II as a tournament ladder and have a league in full swing players for their first tournament have been announced.

starcraft II now goes next to halo 3, mw1. mw1, gears of war 2, css, ssbb, wow, tekken 6, and a very select list of other titles on their pro circuts.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#444 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Hey guys... so my GF got me the game for our 1 year, and now my buddy has me scared that the game sucks. I'm in the middle of Dragon Age, so I won't be starting it for a few more days, but here is what I am scared of:

1) He says that the campaign actually isn't that good... it's okay at best.

2) ALL online multiplayer is just mindless zerging... building as many as the right type of units as you can, and then throwing them at the enemy.

3) It's boring...

Now, I loved WC3. I loved the single player, I enjoyed the multiplayer, but that's because you spent a lot of time building your army, searching for resources, and then skirmishing with the enemy when you ran into them, or once your army was truly badass... I don't want a mindless zergfest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Hey guys... so my GF got me the game for our 1 year, and now my buddy has me scared that the game sucks. I'm in the middle of Dragon Age, so I won't be starting it for a few more days, but here is what I am scared of:

1) He says that the campaign actually isn't that good... it's okay at best.

2) ALL online multiplayer is just mindless zerging... building as many as the right type of units as you can, and then throwing them at the enemy.

3) It's boring...

Now, I loved WC3. I loved the single player, I enjoyed the multiplayer, but that's because you spent a lot of time building your army, searching for resources, and then skirmishing with the enemy when you ran into them, or once your army was truly badass... I don't want a mindless zergfest.

Essian

1. He's right. For a company of Blizzard's calibre, their campaign was along the lines of BFBC2's.

2. Online players tend towards early game rushing tactics, whether it be 4 pool and zergling spam or 4 Gateway for Protoss. Real games happen fromt ime to time, but I've only seen it one or twice.

3. It has its ups and downs.

Overall, I'd say Dragon Age is more enjoyable -- but it's up to you to decide. You may love this game as much as WC3.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 Essian
are there good, practical anti-rush strategies? or do you have to just learn to rush or not play online....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

As Terran, you can wall off your base, along with Protoss. Zerg are SOL on that part, but they can have a sizable force up quickly.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448 Essian

As Terran, you can wall off your base, along with Protoss. Zerg are SOL on that part, but they can have a sizable force up quickly.

Sheppard212
well if that sizable force can defend me against rush units, then I'm thinking I'll be okay. My biggest consolation is that I SUCK at this game, meaning I will be ranked low, with the other newbs, who probably won't have the rush thing down quite as well as the pro players, meaning I will be in my own element.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

The game has a league system based off of five wildcard games. After those are complete,t he game ranks you into one of five leagues: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. It's still in the works as I am terribad yet I got into the gold league.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450 Essian

The game has a league system based off of five wildcard games. After those are complete,t he game ranks you into one of five leagues: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. It's still in the works as I am terribad yet I got into the gold league.

Sheppard212
well did you win most of your wildcard games? And does it continue to rank you after those games? For instance, if you continue to lose, will it bump you down a league or two until you start winning again?