The Starcraft 2 Thread - Keep all discussion in here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#751 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

A: StarCraft II is the ultimate competitive real-time strategy game, and the sequel to the hit original, StarCraft.

Tell that to the C&C fanboys. But obviously yes i knew that back in 1998 :D
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#752 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
[QUOTE="madmenno"]

A: StarCraft II is the ultimate competitive real-time strategy game, and the sequel to the hit original, StarCraft.

C&C fanboy right here. I agree SCII is definitely more competitive. Actually this may not count, my love for C&C died with C&C3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#753 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="madmenno"]

A: StarCraft II is the ultimate competitive real-time strategy game, and the sequel to the hit original, StarCraft. visceron

C&C fanboy right here. I agree SCII is definitely more competitive. Actually this may not count, my love for C&C died with C&C3.

I've got a ticket on the same boat as you, CNC3 was an eyesore to the CNC series. Much like what RA3 is to RA1 and 2, but with much less cheesiness.

elrond92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#754 elrond92
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Agreed CNC died on the 3rd game. And dont get me started on the fourth, why does EA need to ruin all the good francises? Anyhow SC 2 is best game on RTS market right now.

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#755 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts
Very detailed summary. Good,these images so buautiful...
janti_hakouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756 janti_hakouz
Member since 2004 • 3190 Posts

Hey my buddy just installed Starcraft 2, and its doin the update, and it has been looping. It finishes the update and then starts again immediately, and we can't get the game to open. He's definitely installed the version 1.1.1 patch 3 times now. Any ideas?

the_bi99man
You sure it's downloading the same patch? Check the file size at the bottom. I think It downloaded 4-5 patches when I installed it a couple of days ago.
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#757 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
Does anybody agree that Starcraft 2 doesn't require that much skill?
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#758 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Does anybody agree that Starcraft 2 doesn't require that much skill?Wakanoid
Bold words from a platinum player, in 2v2s nonetheless.
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#759 Wakanoid
[QUOTE="Wakanoid"]Does anybody agree that Starcraft 2 doesn't require that much skill?Vfanek

Well you see, I mean it DOES require skill. But I mean, I have horrible connection issues, so in random 2's I went from plat to silver (From d/c's) I've easily lost 60+ games from disconnecting. Now I'm usually matched up with bronze, and I swear some players I outskill by a mile can still come up with dumb strategies and win the game. Like rushing void rays, mass marines, mass zealot, 6 pool. Get my point?
BlueHarvest28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#760 BlueHarvest28
Member since 2010 • 323 Posts

Love starcraft hate the people who play it.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#761 Vfanek
[QUOTE="Vfanek"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"]Does anybody agree that Starcraft 2 doesn't require that much skill?Wakanoid

Well you see, I mean it DOES require skill. But I mean, I have horrible connection issues, so in random 2's I went from plat to silver (From d/c's) I've easily lost 60+ games from disconnecting. Now I'm usually matched up with bronze, and I swear some players I outskill by a mile can still come up with dumb strategies and win the game. Like rushing void rays, mass marines, mass zealot, 6 pool. Get my point?

Yes, and I don't disagree. You don't need to be very 'skilled' at lower skill levels (yes, I realize how stupid that sounds). While it's difficult to learn the game initially, you pick it up quite fast and it doesn't take long before anyone is able to stomp on new players. It's when you get to higher levels of play that skill is more important than having a gimmick you rely on. Y'know, you can get quite far with proxy void rays, but after a while you'll encounter people who know how to deal with it. So yeah, you can beat really terrible players with stupid builds, doesn't say a whole lot though.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#762 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Love starcraft hate the people who play it.

BlueHarvest28

How so? The community has been surprisingly helpful and friendly to me up to now. Although I've only played about a hundred matches, so far I've only seen 5-6 ****heads.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#763 Wakanoid
[QUOTE="Vfanek"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"][QUOTE="Vfanek"] Bold words from a platinum player, in 2v2s nonetheless.

Yes, and I don't disagree. You don't need to be very 'skilled' at lower skill levels (yes, I realize how stupid that sounds). While it's difficult to learn the game initially, you pick it up quite fast and it doesn't take long before anyone is able to stomp on new players. It's when you get to higher levels of play that skill is more important than having a gimmick you rely on. Y'know, you can get quite far with proxy void rays, but after a while you'll encounter people who know how to deal with it. So yeah, you can beat really terrible players with stupid builds, doesn't say a whole lot though.

I mean, now that I'm stuck in bronze/silver league again I always go for a counter-cheese build. If there's a Protoss I make sure they don't rush Void Rays. But, when you're in the higher levels (Platinum & Diamond) it's such a dumb build, that nobody does it. A noob build counters a noob build. For example, one guy goes mass zealots, you really don't need to do much... Mass Mauraders, or some sort of air unit. While in higher leagues you need a mixture, for example with Protoss maybe 1-2 Void Rays for charge during battle, a few sentries for the shield buff. A few immortals to take out armored units, with colossus to take out the mass and some Zealots to be some what of a shield. Stalkers for back-up support. And while doing all that, micro them all properly. Sure, you can still win. But then you find the person just massed a load of void rays, let's say 12 and counting. They're somewhat upgraded, and they go into the back of your base... They're all charged, you know how it ends. You can really out-skill the person, but there are many cheap builds possible. I'm just sick of the way to counter a noob build is a counter noob build. Or you play with pros and have to use much more complex builds. This makes sense right?
MaChaorules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#764 MaChaorules
Member since 2005 • 4951 Posts
[QUOTE="Wakanoid"][QUOTE="Vfanek"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"] Well you see, I mean it DOES require skill. But I mean, I have horrible connection issues, so in random 2's I went from plat to silver (From d/c's) I've easily lost 60+ games from disconnecting. Now I'm usually matched up with bronze, and I swear some players I outskill by a mile can still come up with dumb strategies and win the game. Like rushing void rays, mass marines, mass zealot, 6 pool. Get my point?

I mean, now that I'm stuck in bronze/silver league again I always go for a counter-cheese build. If there's a Protoss I make sure they don't rush Void Rays. But, when you're in the higher levels (Platinum & Diamond) it's such a dumb build, that nobody does it. A noob build counters a noob build. For example, one guy goes mass zealots, you really don't need to do much... Mass Mauraders, or some sort of air unit. While in higher leagues you need a mixture, for example with Protoss maybe 1-2 Void Rays for charge during battle, a few sentries for the shield buff. A few immortals to take out armored units, with colossus to take out the mass and some Zealots to be some what of a shield. Stalkers for back-up support. And while doing all that, micro them all properly. Sure, you can still win. But then you find the person just massed a load of void rays, let's say 12 and counting. They're somewhat upgraded, and they go into the back of your base... They're all charged, you know how it ends. You can really out-skill the person, but there are many cheap builds possible. I'm just sick of the way to counter a noob build is a counter noob build. Or you play with pros and have to use much more complex builds. This makes sense right?

You should never let someone mass up void rays, they're expensive and the enemy should have very little of anything else if they invest into them. The key is to scout effectively really. Even if they wall off, if you have a good sense of how many units the opponent has at their ramp then you'll have a good idea of what they're teching to.
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#765 Wakanoid
[QUOTE="MaChaorules"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"][QUOTE="Vfanek"] Yes, and I don't disagree. You don't need to be very 'skilled' at lower skill levels (yes, I realize how stupid that sounds). While it's difficult to learn the game initially, you pick it up quite fast and it doesn't take long before anyone is able to stomp on new players. It's when you get to higher levels of play that skill is more important than having a gimmick you rely on. Y'know, you can get quite far with proxy void rays, but after a while you'll encounter people who know how to deal with it. So yeah, you can beat really terrible players with stupid builds, doesn't say a whole lot though.

You should never let someone mass up void rays, they're expensive and the enemy should have very little of anything else if they invest into them. The key is to scout effectively really. Even if they wall off, if you have a good sense of how many units the opponent has at their ramp then you'll have a good idea of what they're teching to.

I never have, well maybe except for once where I forgot to scout. But there are simply stupid strategies where an amateur player can take on an experienced player.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#766 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts

For example, one guy goes mass zealots, you really don't need to do much... Mass Mauraders, or some sort of air unit. Wakanoid
I'm just trying to help you out here, but Mauraders are weak against Zealots. If you use the in game help, it actually tells you which units are weak against what. Also you can check out this site.

Again I am just trying to help.

I agree you can play the game with out much skill, but if you have good micro it will go along ways. I realize I am only a gold player, but I mostly get matched up against platinum players. So, I have a pretty good idea of what platinum players are capable of.

MaChaorules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#767 MaChaorules
[QUOTE="Wakanoid"][QUOTE="MaChaorules"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"] I mean, now that I'm stuck in bronze/silver league again I always go for a counter-cheese build. If there's a Protoss I make sure they don't rush Void Rays. But, when you're in the higher levels (Platinum & Diamond) it's such a dumb build, that nobody does it. A noob build counters a noob build. For example, one guy goes mass zealots, you really don't need to do much... Mass Mauraders, or some sort of air unit. While in higher leagues you need a mixture, for example with Protoss maybe 1-2 Void Rays for charge during battle, a few sentries for the shield buff. A few immortals to take out armored units, with colossus to take out the mass and some Zealots to be some what of a shield. Stalkers for back-up support. And while doing all that, micro them all properly. Sure, you can still win. But then you find the person just massed a load of void rays, let's say 12 and counting. They're somewhat upgraded, and they go into the back of your base... They're all charged, you know how it ends. You can really out-skill the person, but there are many cheap builds possible. I'm just sick of the way to counter a noob build is a counter noob build. Or you play with pros and have to use much more complex builds. This makes sense right?

I never have, well maybe except for once where I forgot to scout. But there are simply stupid strategies where an amateur player can take on an experienced player.

Strategy can only take you so far though, amateur vs experienced then you'd assume that the experienced player has better timings for their build and better macro. If they have better macro then chances are then when the amateur player pushes out, he'll miss the timing which makes his strategy effective.
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#768 Wakanoid

[QUOTE="Wakanoid"]For example, one guy goes mass zealots, you really don't need to do much... Mass Mauraders, or some sort of air unit. visceron

I'm just trying to help you out here, but Mauraders are weak against Zealots. If you use the in game help, it actually tells you which units are weak against what. Also you can check out this site.

Again I am just trying to help.

I agree you can play the game with out much skill, but if you have good micro it will go along ways. I realize I am only a gold player, but I mostly get matched up against platinum players. So, I have a pretty good idea of what platinum players are capable of.

Whoops, I don't know why I said Mauraders even though I wouldn't find them that weak if you micro'd them properly. But let's just go with mass Stalkers.
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#769 Wakanoid
[QUOTE="MaChaorules"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"][QUOTE="MaChaorules"] You should never let someone mass up void rays, they're expensive and the enemy should have very little of anything else if they invest into them. The key is to scout effectively really. Even if they wall off, if you have a good sense of how many units the opponent has at their ramp then you'll have a good idea of what they're teching to.

Strategy can only take you so far though, amateur vs experienced then you'd assume that the experienced player has better timings for their build and better macro. If they have better macro then chances are then when the amateur player pushes out, he'll miss the timing which makes his strategy effective.

I do, oh how I do. Maybe it's the fact I play 2's.
MaChaorules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#770 MaChaorules
[QUOTE="Wakanoid"][QUOTE="MaChaorules"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"] I never have, well maybe except for once where I forgot to scout. But there are simply stupid strategies where an amateur player can take on an experienced player.

2's are just a massing contest if you ask me, the fact that your teammate can save you allows you to live longer than you usually might so it just ends up becoming a macro game.
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#771 Vfanek
Too lazy to read the wall of texts right now.. but do want to point out that the game isn't balanced around 2s. Sure, they're trying to make 2s something people can enjoy but I doubt it will ever become balanced in any way, shape or form. In 1v1, yeah a bad player can beat a good player. That goes for any sport/game, sometimes you just **** up. In a best of 100, it won't end up 50/50 if one player is 'amateur', as you called it. Even if he does some stupid as hell timing attack the experienced player will see it coming, as he won't let you walk freely around the map (playing blind in other words). Blablablabla, tl;dr: You can beat a pro with some gimmick one game, he'll kick your arse the next 50 games.
bzwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#772 bzwax
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts

If there are too many people wanting to talk about Starcraft 2, why reduce the area to talk about it to a single thread? At least make a temporary forum dedicated to Starcraft 2.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#773 N30F3N1X

If there are too many people wanting to talk about Starcraft 2, why reduce the area to talk about it to a single thread? At least make a temporary forum dedicated to Starcraft 2.

bzwax

It's already there.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#774 Wakanoid
[QUOTE="MaChaorules"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"][QUOTE="MaChaorules"] Strategy can only take you so far though, amateur vs experienced then you'd assume that the experienced player has better timings for their build and better macro. If they have better macro then chances are then when the amateur player pushes out, he'll miss the timing which makes his strategy effective.

2's are just a massing contest if you ask me, the fact that your teammate can save you allows you to live longer than you usually might so it just ends up becoming a macro game.

It's not really a massing contests when you get up into the higher levels. Which is what I'm saying is the bronze/silver levels do cheap tactics and/or mass just one unit.
nchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#775 nchan
Member since 2004 • 1059 Posts
Anyone willing to give me one of their guest pass? I want to try it before I buy.
BlueHarvest28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#776 BlueHarvest28

i love the game but I'm still in bronze. and people really ruin the game by cheesing. your probably at a level you get a decent opponent to play against. The starcraft community is great but the game is very easily ruined.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#777 Vfanek

i love the game but I'm still in bronze. and people really ruin the game by cheesing. your probably at a level you get a decent opponent to play against. The starcraft community is great but the game is very easily ruined.

BlueHarvest28
Learn to deal with cheese instead. There's more than plenty of cheese up until platinum and occurs fairly often in diamond. Only way to avoid it is to play mates and decide no one is allowed to cheese.
elrond92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#778 elrond92
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="BlueHarvest28"]

Vfanek

Learn to deal with cheese instead. There's more than plenty of cheese up until platinum and occurs fairly often in diamond. Only way to avoid it is to play mates and decide no one is allowed to cheese.

If you get cheezed it your own fault for sucking enough to let it happen.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#779 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Hey guys,I bought SC2 about a week ago and I am currently playing the awesome campaign.I have spent many credits on unit/building upgrades and I have also upgraded stuff through protoss/zerg research.Will the upgraded buildings and units be available in skirmish?(for example,bunkers with guns,better medics,ability to build one structure with many SCVs etc):)

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#780 N30F3N1X

Hey guys,I bought SC2 about a week ago and I am currently playing the awesome campaign.I have spent many credits on unit/building upgrades and I have also upgraded stuff through protoss/zerg research.Will the upgraded buildings and units be available in skirmish?(for example,bunkers with guns,better medics,ability to build one structure with many SCVs etc):)

call_of_duty_10

Nope, they're strictly campaign stuff.

pitipong44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#781 pitipong44
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
gg
DogFoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#782 DogFoo
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

call_of_duty_10
how much did you bought it for ?
BlueHarvest28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#783 BlueHarvest28

gg

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#785 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Probably about time to unsticky this thread... ;) Record of it kept in the Discussion Index.

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#786 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Probably about time to unsticky this thread... ;) Record of it kept in the Discussion Index.

gbrading

Nooooo! I will miss the SC2 thread!

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#787 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Nooooo! I will miss the SC2 thread!

mkaliaz

You're still welcome keep posting in it if you want to. 8)