The Starcraft 2 Thread - Keep all discussion in here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

Moderator note: Please keep all discussion in here. Thanks!

Q: What is StarCraft II?

A: StarCraft II is the ultimate competitive real-time strategy game, and the sequel to the hit original, StarCraft. The game will include three completely distinct and balanced races, the protoss, terran, and zerg, which have been overhauled and re-imagined with a number of new units for each, as well as new tricks for some of the cla s s i c units that are returning.

Q: How will StarCraft II be different from StarCraft?

A: StarCraft II will run on a vibrant new 3D-graphics engine capable of rendering beautiful landscapes as well as massive army sizes. The speed, responsiveness, and epic-scale battles that made the original StarCraft such a memorable game are all realized in 3D with this brand-new engine.

We're also introducing a number of distinct new units to the protoss, terran, and zerg, and some of the familiar units that return in StarCraft II will have new tricks up their sleeves, which will give the game its own unique flavor. The maps themselves will also offer new interactive elements that enhance the strategic nature of the game and create more tactical points of interest for players to contest. One example of this is the Xel'Naga watchtower structure-when captured, it reveals line of sight over a large area of the map, creating an advantage for the player in control of the tower.

In addition, Battle.net will be overhauled with some new and exciting features to enhance online play and competition, while the single-player campaign will also offer some unique aspects for players to enjoy.

Q: How many cinematic cut-scenes will be included?

A: We know that StarCraft II players will expect to see some Blizzard-quality cinematic content in the game, and we have definite plans to include multiple pre-rendered cinematics, starting with the intro movie. StarCraft II's advanced 3D engine also allows us to create numerous in-engine cutscenes to help tell the game's epic story. The Blizzard cinematics team is working closely with the StarCraft II development team to ensure that these in-engine cutscenes are as enjoyable and compelling to watch as the pre-rendered cinematic scenes.

Q: How many races are in StarCraft II?

A: In StarCraft II, players will see the return of the protoss, terran, and zerg races. Our goal is to ensure that all the factions in the game play even more distinctly from one another than in the original StarCraft, while still maintaining the fine balance that helped make StarCraft a c l a s s i c. We're also introducing a number of new units to each race, as well as modifying some of the familiar units returning in StarCraft II. With these design refinements and the new features we have planned for the single-player and multiplayer elements of the game, StarCraft II will offer a next-generation StarCraft experience.

Q: What can you reveal about StarCraft II's single-player component?

A:
The game's plot will pick up several years after the events of StarCraft: Brood War. Familiar faces will return-such as Jim Raynor, the reluctant terran hero from the original StarCraft-and new heroes and villains will emerge. The single-player campaign will allow players to interact closely with these characters while determining their own course through the game via mission choices and technology upgrades.

Trilogy

Q: What is the StarCraft II Trilogy?

A: The StarCraft II Trilogy consists of the base StarCraft II game and two subsequent expansion sets. StarCraft II is subtitled Wings of Liberty (working title) and will include a lengthy single-player campaign that focuses on the terrans and puts players in the role of Jim Raynor, one of the series' main heroes. The first expansion set, Heart of the Swarm (working title), will follow later and include a single-player campaign focusing on the zerg and Kerrigan, Queen of Blades. The second expansion set, Legacy of the Void (working title), will continue the story experience with a single-player campaign centered on the protoss.

Q: Will we still be able to play multiplayer matches of StarCraft II with all three races?

A: Yes! From the beginning, StarCraft II will be a fully featured multiplayer game, and all three races will be available for competitive play.

Q: How will the expansion sets impact multiplayer gameplay?

A: The expansion sets will add new content to each race for use in multiplayer matches. This could include additions such as new units, abilities, and structures, along with new maps and Battle.net updates.

Q: If I buy StarCraft II but don't buy any of the expansion sets, will I still be able to play online?

A: Yes. This will work similarly to Warcraft III and the original StarCraft, which maintained separate online gaming lobbies and ladders for expansion set players and players with the base Warcraft III or StarCraft.

Q: How long is each of the campaigns?

A: StarCraft II's terran campaign will consist of approximately 26 to 30 missions, and each expansion set will include a similar number of missions. This means that the complete StarCraft II Trilogy will include as many as 90 single-player missions. This allows us to create a truly epic story experience with a great variety of unique missions and gameplay types.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Protoss

Photobucket

The protoss are a sentient humanoid race native to Aiur. They are technologically advanced and rely on psionic abilities and cybernetics in battle. They are the primary opponents of the zerg. The protoss of Aiur are highly religious and follow a strict code known as the Khala. The protoss have mastered their psionic powers and were recently engaged in a devastating war with the zerg. They have also had to deal with civil wars within their ranks.

Protos in Greek means 'first'. This name is supposedly given because the protoss were the first semi-successful xel'naga creation. The protoss were later deemed a failure by the greater species, leading to the engineering of the zerg.

Buildings

ProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtossProtoss

Units

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Terrans

Photobucket

The terrans are a young technology species with psionic potential. The terrans of the Koprulu Sector descend from the survivors of a 23rd century colonization mission from Earth. Compared to the protoss and zerg, the terrans are highly factionalized and endure frequent wars amongst themselves in addition to the more recent conflicts with their alien neighbors.

Buildings

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Units

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 devious742

Zerg

The zerg are a terrifying and ruthless amalgamation of biologically advanced, arthropodal aliens. Dedicated to the pursuit of genetic perfection, the zerg relentlessly hunt down and assimilate advanced species across the galaxy, incorporating useful genetic code into their own, and exterminate any species that might corrupt the purity of the zerg genome.

Buildings

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Units

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photobucket

Screenshots

http://www.filefront.com/17103811/avatars.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video Game History : Starcraft

Link

GameSpot gives you a look at the history of Starcraft and how it popularized this genre of gaming for years to come.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STARCRAFT 2 'Kerrigan Storyboards' Feature HD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Standard by Which All Real-Time Strategy Games Are Judged
Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War
Platform: PC | Genre: Real-Time Strategy
Publisher: Blizzard | Developer: Blizzard | Released: 1998

When Blizzard Entertainment released Starcraft in 1998, fans of the fledgling real-time strategy genre were wary. Blizzard had some big shoes to fill in following Warcraft II. Many players worried about Starcraft's lack of water units, which provided extra depth to Blizzard's previous RTS game. Others bemoaned the game's 2D graphics, which were restricted to a low 640x480 resolution. Even at the time, Starcraft's visuals were looking long in the tooth compared with those of other RTS games of the era like Age of Empires and Total Annihilation, which boasted more scalable graphics engines. Despite those shortcomings, Starcraft blew away all its competitors, selling a million copies in three months and more than 6 million copies worldwide since its release just over five years ago.

There are a number of explanations for Starcraft's incredible popularity. One reason is the game's well-designed single-player campaign, which featured a compelling plot and memorable characters like Raynor, Kerrigan, and the noble Tassadar. Even the regular units had tons of personality and Blizzard's signature wit. Starcraft's characters were so identifiable to fans that Kerrigan's likeness ended up being on the cover of the Brood War expansion set, which continued the plotline of the original game.

Another factor in Starcraft's popularity was the game's three unique and almost perfectly balanced factions. Not a single unit was shared between the Terran, Zerg, and Protoss, yet no one could definitively say that one faction had a real advantage over the other. There were even subtle but strategically significant differences in the way the three sides built their structures. Even more remarkable is that the game's early combat units, like the lowly zerglings and marines, maintained their usefulness all the way to the end of the longest matches. Units higher up on the technology tree did not make earlier units obsolete--they only added to the array of strategic options available to the player. Impressively, the Brood War expansion pack threw even more units into the mix without breaking the game's delicate balance.

Blizzard's free, worldwide, online matchmaking and ranking service, Battle.net, fueled Starcraft's longevity, as it gave players a simple way to get online and find opponents. Though the service was introduced earlier with the action RPG Diablo, the competitive nature of Starcraft made it a more natural fit. The worldwide ranking system helped spawn a number of Starcraft tournaments with impressive cash prizes, as well as professional leagues where a handful of elite players actually made a living playing the game. Even today, five years after the game's first release, thousands of games of Starcraft and Brood War are played on Battle.net in an average day.

With its excellent campaign, elegantly designed factions, and simple to learn but deep, strategic gameplay, Starcraft is the defining game of its genre. It is the standard by which all real-time strategy games are judged.

Trailers

War is coming

Old Rivals

Hell, it's about time

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 devious742

Starcraft 2 Multiplayer Broadcasting

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Sweet. I motion for sticky.
Suffca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Suffca
Member since 2008 • 666 Posts

Nice thread man. Can't wait to get my hands on the CE.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 devious742

Suffca

thnx man... Im not going to be able to get this on launch :( but I will buy it8)

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

what / who the hell are the Zergs ?

edit: Sad panda face, noone got my joke.

Are those the contents of the Collector's Edition? I'm tempted to shoot myself in the foot right now.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 devious742

what / who the hell are the Zergs ?

edit: Sad panda face, noone got my joke.

Are those the contents of the Collector's Edition? I'm tempted to shoot myself in the foot right now.

Mograine

lool I just got it:P .. yep thats the collectors edition

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mograine

lool I just got it:P .. yep thats the collectors edition

devious742

After wasting 50 extra euros *smashes head on the desk* to get my AOC, ME2 and DAO CEs *smashes head on the desk* I thought that *smashes head on the desk* no other extra CE crap would have changed my mind *smashes head on the desk and starts bleeding profusely* but this *smashes head on the desk* THIS IS MADNESS.

The one time a Collector's Edition turns out to be actually worth the extra price I get shafted with a crappy standard edition.

I need a hug now :(

Suffca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Suffca
Member since 2008 • 666 Posts

Yeah, Blizzard's CEs are usually worth the extra cash.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 devious742

[QUOTE="devious742"] lool I just got it:P .. yep thats the collectors edition

Mograine

After wasting 50 extra euros *smashes head on the desk* to get my AOC, ME2 and DAO CEs *smashes head on the desk* I thought that *smashes head on the desk* no other extra CE crap would have changed my mind *smashes head on the desk and starts bleeding profusely* but this *smashes head on the desk* THIS IS MADNESS.

The one time a Collector's Edition turns out to be actually worth the extra price I get shafted with a crappy standard edition.

I need a hug now :(

well.. if it makes you feel better... at least you get to play it on launch day.. I have to wait:(

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mograine

well.. if it makes you feel better... at least you get to play it on launch day.. I have to wait:(

devious742

Of course I'll get to play it on launch day. Unless the mailing service here in town is anxious to get blasted into the twisting nether :twisted:

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

Yeah StarCraft 2

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 devious742

Suffca

same here.. might be the second CE I get besides spore:oops:

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Great thread man,should have got the sticky at SW.
ralph2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ralph2190
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

Nice work on the thread! I'm gonna have multiple stargasms on the 27th :D

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Nice thread. Looking forward to getting my hands on the CE. :P
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 devious742

Great thread man,should have got the sticky at SW.Arach666
yea :( I just found its about who makes the thread first.. took me a long time to make it thats why I was late :cry: BTW!! major LOLS on console gamers trying to prove that SC2 isnt pc exclusive:lol:

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mograine

[QUOTE="Arach666"]Great thread man,should have got the sticky at SW.devious742

yea :( I just found its about who makes the thread first.. took me a long time to make it thats why I was late :cry: BTW!! major LOLS on console gamers trying to prove that SC2 isnt pc exclusive:lol:

The guy who made a post about Blizzard's overrated-ness deserves an honorable mention too.

This is the kind of day when you realize the reason why you're proud of being a hermit :D

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Nice thread, cant wait to get Starcraft 2 I have never played the first one. I play WoW and bought the WC3 game with the expansion and they were really fun. Counting on Blizzard to make an awesome game, love the cinematics in Blizzard games to!
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts
Nice thread, cant wait to get Starcraft 2 I have never played the first one. I play WoW and bought the WC3 game with the expansion and they were really fun. Counting on Blizzard to make an awesome game, love the cinematics in Blizzard games to!V4LENT1NE
if starcraft 2 sucks Ill lose all faith in gaming forever, Ill probably just quit.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Props Devious, you shoulda' had the sticky in SW.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts
You should add HuskyStarcraft to your multiplayer section. He and HD are basically broadcasting partners now. Also nice writeup even if a lot was just copy/pasted.
Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts

Bumping thread with awesome new trailer, Which I am assuming is going to be the last one till the game comes out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfWM-A&feature=player_embedded

Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts

awesome thread, good luck playing it, I won't get my copy until October or December :cry: :cry: :cry:

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 devious742

awesome thread, good luck playing it, I won't get my copy until October or December :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nino_ze

the fan on my gpu just died:cry: shipping the card for a replacement today:(

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
Bump for great justice! Whilst a sticked thread isn't the best solution ever, the game isn't even released and we're getting a fair few threads -- and I can only expect it to go up when the game is actually released. Any new threads will be locked and moderated, in the interest of keeping discussion, old threads will be grandfathered in where possible (some confusion may arise).
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
Can't wait for the almighty game! First day baby :D
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

I just realized you guys don't know about the competitive scene, i.e. that you're not watching

THIS YOU SHOULD WATCH IT

Right now. Seriously, Day9, why aren't you watching it LIVE?

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

There's finally a Sticky

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#32 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Wow! Awesome thread dude!!! Fantastic work! 8)

fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
retail copy or digital copy?
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kozzy1234

Im 95% done downloading the game off of Blizards Digital Download service.

They let you download then on tuesday morning you buy it and then enter the code and play (:

I always love pre-loads on games:P

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

They let you download then on tuesday morning you buy it and then enter the code and play (:

kozzy1234
This is how it should be done. No wait, just pay and play.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Pre-loading the game right now, but my download speed is going very slow.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mograine

Just got my disc.

Oh my god, just 13 hours more.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#39 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Hoping to get the Collector's Edition. At first I was like, it's way too expensive but once I found out what comes with it, I'm like, damn! I want it. It's actually worth it's value. Those who don't know what comes with the Collector's Edition, here's a breakdown.

-Starcraft 2 Game

-2GB USB Flash Drive 'Jim Raynor Dog Tag' with Starcraft and Brood Wars

-Starcraft 2 Complete Soundtrack

-A really nice 174-page artbook (really good for me especially when I am currently practicing in concept art)

-A Starcraft 2 Comic Issue No. #0

-The Making of Starcraft 2

-Really cool box design, especially the way you open it.

Worse comes to worse, I may have to get the normal edition if Collector's Edition runs out.

maxblais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 maxblais
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts

Does someone know how long normal shipping takes for Gamestop.ca ?
I pre-ordered it and it says it got shipped today, any chance I can get it tomorrow ?
I also pre-downloaded the copy, too bad they don't just email the CD-key.. i don't really need the box :/

cya on bnet !

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Crimsader

This is how it should be done. No wait, just pay and play.

I agree, Preloads >>>>

Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 Resistance_Kid
Member since 2009 • 1171 Posts

In around 2 hours and 20 minutes, the world itself will shake. Servers will be overloaded and stores crowded.

[spoiler] I gave into the hype! Starcraft 2 looks awesomeeeee [/spoiler]

Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

retail copy or digital copy?fishing666

that's what I want to know.

I could get it today at midnight or i could preload it...

what would be the advantages of a digital copy vs a regular one?

killyourfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killyourfm
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
*quietly steps in* You guys probably know about the 1UP SC2 giveaway - there's another one happening here: http://www.examiner.com/x-14825-Video-Games-Examiner~y2010m7d25-StarCraft-II-Scavenger-hunt-giveaway Basic scavenger hunt contest for a sealed copy of StarCraft II, delivered via Amazon.
Buriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Buriz
Member since 2010 • 160 Posts

Just pre-ordered the collectors edition for pickup at best buy

Have to wait til the morn to get it!!!!:cry:

monsterman7893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 monsterman7893
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

Will i be able to play (with my PC), SC2 online with my friend (on Mac).?

Buriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Buriz
Member since 2010 • 160 Posts

Will i be able to play (with my PC), SC2 online with my friend (on Mac).?

monsterman7893

Of course.

monsterman7893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 monsterman7893
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

ok. you are sure right? I figured that because the servers are probably combined