Fallout: New Vegas sold 1.4 million units; Guess how many were on PC

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#151 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts

[QUOTE="theafiguy"]

There's that, but I think that after the hype of the CS series died down, and after Call of Duty made it's way to the big name consoles, PC games had little in the way of truely amazing exclusives. It'll remain the only platform suitable to have an MMORPG simply because of the amount that's going on, and a controller simply cannot take advantage of everything available. Imagine putting WoW on the 360, it would either be dumbed down or so slow that it wouldn't even be enjoyable.

Then there are strategy games, they don't really work on consoles. Halo Wars and The Outfit are great examples of them not working out too well. PC gaming will always be strong as long as those two genres are still only viable on the PC. Starcraft made a huge impact, and World of Warcraft is still the biggest selling MMO, you can't argue with the numbers of the Blizzard games.

That's not even taking into account that some people buy games on multiple platforms, for different reasons. I personally would never have a multi-platform single player game on a console because I know for a fact that they would have more user support, and modifications, on a PC.

jedikevin2

Hmm thats your opinion there but if you are trying to state that since 2004 (ruff times of css release) that Pc has not had amazing exclusives then you would be in for a Huge surprise. If you take sometime on your own and do some research, you will find many great pc exclusives especially in a 5-6 year timeframe you are proposing.

I am also surprised that people are trying to state Pc gaming as a "niche Market". Base on the statements in this thread, you could just as easily make the same statements that "console gaming" is niche.

Well outside of MMO's, RPG's, and RTS games, there is little in the way of exclusive games that are actually good. Crysis was a huge bolster to the PC community because that game is now what, 4 years old, and it's STILL how people compare graphics. That is something truly amazing. What shooters have come out that are only PC that have really made an impact? I can't really think of one, I'm sure there are a few out there, I'm not doubting that at all.

I should have clarified that there haven't been many exclusive games around to really push the PC market, for shooting games at least. Of course we've have C&C, Company of Heroes, Starcraft II, Civilization V and other big name games, but those are all going to end up being MMO games or RTS games.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts
[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="RyviusRan"]

But he is wrong about PC games not selling well.

Oh I agree, I bet they sold a lot on Steam,,,,although it is a fact that Console sales are in most cases quite a lot higher than PC sales.

Oh...Daytona...I would expected a lot more from you...

1 copy of Fallout NV for xbox is not equal to 1 copy of Fallout NV on PC...the copy of NV for PC has double or triple the value of the counterpart for the xbox/ps3...

Iam not in the mood to even explain this further more...but for those of you who know and understand how things works,please dont bother to reply to this guys who always say:"pc is dieing or xbox sold way more than pc"...dont bother to reply back...u cant teach someone that the sky is blue and the water is wet...:D

Sorry but this has stupid written all over it. The PC version has no more value then the others at all. If anything the PS3 version may be a bit more"valuable" because it's a blue ray disk... How you came up with the idea of the PC version having double or tripple the value is beyond me. *shaking head*
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Oh I agree, I bet they sold a lot on Steam,,,,although it is a fact that Console sales are in most cases quite a lot higher than PC sales.Prexxus

1 copy of Fallout NV for xbox is not equal to 1 copy of Fallout NV on PC...the copy of NV for PC has double or triple the value of the counterpart for the xbox/ps3...

Iam not in the mood to even explain this further more...but for those of you who know and understand how things works,please dont bother to reply to this guys who always say:"pc is dieing or xbox sold way more than pc"...dont bother to reply back...u cant teach someone that the sky is blue and the water is wet...:D

Sorry but this has stupid written all over it. The PC version has no more value then the others at all. If anything the PS3 version may be a bit more"valuable" because it's a blue ray disk... How you came up with the idea of the PC version having double or tripple the value is beyond me. *shaking head*

Mods.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Prexxus

[QUOTE="Prexxus"][QUOTE="rhazzy"]

kdawg88

Mods.

Mods don't make a game more valuable. Lots of people don't give a **** about mods. That all depends on the gamer, not the value of the game. Lots of gamers find more value in a console version and not in mods.

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 theafiguy
The fact that you can access the console is another huge thing for a lot of people who are into modifications, which I think you're underestimating the amount of people who do get involved in it. PC games also tend to have more life, I'm not quite sure why.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Prexxus

The fact that you can access the console is another huge thing for a lot of people who are into modifications, which I think you're underestimating the amount of people who do get involved in it. PC games also tend to have more life, I'm not quite sure why.theafiguy
Again this is all stuff that is subjective to the person purchasing the product. I know lots of people who bought the console version and got alot more value out of it. You know why? Because if they would of got it for the PC because of mods and the console which they don't care about they would of never played the game at all.

Saying the PC version is worth double of tripple the value is just completly false. Then this guy has the audacity to go and tell people to not ask him why because they don't understand how things "work". Give me a **** break and grow up.

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 theafiguy
I wouldn't say it's worth double or triple the value, that's ignorant to think that it's worth $100 or $150 for this game, with little longevity. You can get about 100 hours out of the game if you're dedicated, and then you might never play the game again. I would say the game is worth more on the PC because mods do create a little bit of longevity that the console versions can't have. I'm fully aware that is this based on the person more so than the game, but if we're looking at raw capability, then PC version wins out because of that slight advantage. I don't think the console games are bad because you can't do that stuff, but I feel limited when I play almost any console game, Fallout 3/New Vegas included.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Mods don't make a game more valuable. Lots of people don't give a **** about mods. That all depends on the gamer, not the value of the game. Lots of gamers find more value in a console version and not in mods.

Prexxus

I'm pretty sure that thanks to the tournament scene, DotA and Counter Strike made more money than all the COD/MW map packs combined, and DotA and Counter Strike born as mods.

Lecrae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Lecrae
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32930 Posts
Yeah, honestly I haven't bought any PC game from a retail store for about a couple years now.With the way a lot of them make it hard to get PC games at a decent price from them, it's no wonder.
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Sorry but this has stupid written all over it. The PC version has no more value then the others at all. If anything the PS3 version may be a bit more"valuable" because it's a blue ray disk... How you came up with the idea of the PC version having double or tripple the value is beyond me. *shaking head*Prexxus

It could be argued the PC version does have more value or at least "value for money" over the console version. In the UK Fallout NV is £24.99 on the PC and £37.99 on the consoles. So right there we are definitely getting more "value for our money". The PC also has enhancements over the console version such as better graphics and features such as cloud saving.

So we get essentially the same "game" as the consoles at a massively lower price and we get enhancements to the PC version that sounds like better value than the console version to me.

It could also be argued that the PC version is more "valuable" to publishers/developers too. They probably see more revenue per copy sold on the PC than they do on the console especially if that purchase has been done via steam (which is more than likely in this day and age). So to match the revenue from one copy sold on the PC you may find they need to sell at least 2 copies on the console due to reduced production and distribution costs involved with the PC version.

At the end of the day you have to ask this question "why are companies still producing PC versions of their games if they are selling as badly as VGchartz, NPD, the tooth fairy keep stating ?". The answer is simply because PC software sales do not do as badly as these fortune tellers try to make out but some gamers fall for the doom and gloom articles every time.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Prexxus

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]Sorry but this has stupid written all over it. The PC version has no more value then the others at all. If anything the PS3 version may be a bit more"valuable" because it's a blue ray disk... How you came up with the idea of the PC version having double or tripple the value is beyond me. *shaking head*charmingcharlie

It could be argued the PC version does have more value or at least "value for money" over the console version. In the UK Fallout NV is £24.99 on the PC and £37.99 on the consoles. So right there we are definitely getting more "value for our money". The PC also has enhancements over the console version such as better graphics and features such as cloud saving.

So we get essentially the same "game" as the consoles at a massively lower price and we get enhancements to the PC version that sounds like better value than the console version to me.

It could also be argued that the PC version is more "valuable" to publishers/developers too. They probably see more revenue per copy sold on the PC than they do on the console especially if that purchase has been done via steam (which is more than likely in this day and age). So to match the revenue from one copy sold on the PC you may find they need to sell at least 2 copies on the console due to reduced production and distribution costs involved with the PC version.

At the end of the day you have to ask this question "why are companies still producing PC versions of their games if they are selling as badly as VGchartz, NPD, the tooth fairy keep stating ?". The answer is simply because PC software sales do not do as badly as these fortune tellers try to make out but some gamers fall for the doom and gloom articles every time.

The value of the game is determined by the price you buy it for. And the "value for your money" can't be the same for everyone. Like I said, lots of people don't care for PC games or mods so, no, the value for your money is always subjective to what the customer wants. Again, lots of people don't care at all for the mods or the console. Some people may find better value in knowing that the 360 will be getting the official DLC first. It's all for the custommer to decide. But the core value of the game is always determined by the price you pay for it.

Read through the thread, maybe like uhhh I don't know the second post? I know vgchartz is **** I said it first.

Also, it dosen't take 2 copies retail to match 1 downloaded. Game companies barely spend anything in packaging/shipping because they have great partnerships and deals. Steam also takes cuts from the sales aswell as retail stores.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

The value of the game is determined by the price you buy it for. And the "value for your money" can't be the same for everyone. Like I said, lots of people don't care for PC games or mods so, no, the value for your money is always subjective to what the customer wants. Again, lots of people don't care at all for the mods or the console. Some people may find better value in knowing that the 360 will be getting the official DLC first. It's all for the custommer to decide. But the core value of the game is always determined by the price you pay for it.

Read through the thread, maybe like uhhh I don't know the second post? I know vgchartz is **** I said it first.

Prexxus

I did not mention mods at all in my post, the improved graphics and cloud saving are part of the PC version and not part of the console version. So right there we are getting "more" than the console version are we not ? So you are arguing that the PC version which is cheaper and comes with better features than the console version is not "better value" I mean seriously come on here. I find it hard to see how anyone can argue that something that costs more and has fewer features is better value than something that costs less and has more features.

As for my last paragraph that was just me making a comment on topic, it was not specifically aimed at you but aimed at people that seem to still believe this kind of rubbish that gets posted time and time again.

Also, it dosen't take 2 copies retail to match 1 downloaded. Game companies barely spend anything in packaging/shipping because they have great partnerships and deals. Steam also takes cuts from the sales aswell as retail stores.Prexxus

The 2 copies scenario is probably slightly off the mark but not by much, there are clear cost savings with the PC version. In three key areas :-

Market Development Fund - paying for good product placement on shop shelves and instore shop advertising accounts for 5% of a games price. I believe this cost is not present in the DD versions.

Manufacturing costs and packaging - this accounts for another 5% of the games budget which again isn't present in the DD version of the game.

Distribution costs - eat up about 1.5% of the game budget again it is hard to see DD copies costing as much as that to distribute.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3-xbox360-costs-tech-cx_rr_game06_1219expensivegames_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=undefined

So right there you have a 12% saving if your game is sold on any of the Digital Distribution channels. An extra 12% of revenue on the PC version that you won't see on the console version. So yeah whilst not exactly a "second copy" it is still a fairly significant amount in my books.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Prexxus

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]The value of the game is determined by the price you buy it for. And the "value for your money" can't be the same for everyone. Like I said, lots of people don't care for PC games or mods so, no, the value for your money is always subjective to what the customer wants. Again, lots of people don't care at all for the mods or the console. Some people may find better value in knowing that the 360 will be getting the official DLC first. It's all for the custommer to decide. But the core value of the game is always determined by the price you pay for it.

charmingcharlie

I did not mention mods at all in my post, the improved graphics and cloud saving are part of the PC version and not part of the console version. So right there we are getting "more" than the console version are we not ? So you are arguing that the PC version which is cheaper and comes with better features than the console version is not "better value" I mean seriously come on here. I find it hard to see how anyone can argue that something that costs more and has fewer features is better value than something that costs less and has more features.

As for my last paragraph that was just me making a comment on topic, it was not specifically aimed at you but aimed at people that seem to still believe this kind of rubbish that gets posted time and time again.

Listen, I always suggest PC copies of most games to people but thats not all that matters to some. Alot of players find more value in buying a version for a console they rather play then better graphics or features. For me, of course I find better value in the PC version because I rather playing PC games most of the time. Alot of people have PC's that can run Fallout NV easily but buy it for a console, why? Because they rather it. They don't care about the extra features or graphics they care about the gaming platform. So to those people getting it for the PC would bring them less value for there money. Simple as that.

hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts

Wait wait wait wait wait. Since when is piracy only on PC? All 3 consoles are easily modded these days, and a huge amount of people don't even have a computer capable of running these kinds of games. Chances are they sold more on consoles because

A: People like playing on there nice TV's

B: Achievements and Trophies

C: Console controls

D: More people own a 360/PS3 vs a capable PC

Just because something didn't sell well, doesnt mean it was stolen.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

Digital Sale Here

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#168 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts

I doubt they have exact figures for worldwide PC sales. But going off the assumption that they do have good estimates for retail figures it does seem a bit weak. The figure they have now for FO-NV is 140,000 world wide on PC. Lets make an estimate of our own and say 50% of all sales are DD, so it would be 280,000 total. To me that seems like a very plausible number.

There is certainly a userbase comparable to consoles on PC, Steam alone has 30 million users, but for some reason new games just don't fly off the shelves the same way. Piracy is an obvious issue but on the other hand there are games that do sell so not sure if that explains all of it. Maybe PC gamers just stick to their games longer and will get this when they feel like it. The hype mentality that spurs these impressive first month figures on consoles just doesn't seem to exist on PC, aside from Blizzard games.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="charmingcharlie"]

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]The value of the game is determined by the price you buy it for. And the "value for your money" can't be the same for everyone. Like I said, lots of people don't care for PC games or mods so, no, the value for your money is always subjective to what the customer wants. Again, lots of people don't care at all for the mods or the console. Some people may find better value in knowing that the 360 will be getting the official DLC first. It's all for the custommer to decide. But the core value of the game is always determined by the price you pay for it.

Prexxus

Listen, I always suggest PC copies of most games to people but thats not all that matters to some. Alot of players find more value in buying a version for a console they rather play then better graphics or features. For me, of course I find better value in the PC version because I rather playing PC games most of the time. Alot of people have PC's that can run Fallout NV easily but buy it for a console, why? Because they rather it. They don't care about the extra features or graphics they care about the gaming platform. So to those people getting it for the PC would bring them less value for there money. Simple as that.

@ Prexxus Let me put it this way...iam not going to re-educate u and draw u a picture,coz i cant teach u that the sky is blue and the water is wet,you should of know this by now...

1.U have a game publishing company: Company1.

2.You have a game developing company: Company2

3.The above companys release on market a Game

4.This Game is released for both pc and xbox360.

5.The price of the Game is 50 euro for both platforms

6.The game only sales only 1 copy(you can multiply it with what number you want) on both platforms...

7.The Revenue which Company1 and Company2 gets from the pc sale is double or triple than his counterpart the xbox360...

GAMES RELEASED ON PC HAVE A HIGHER VALUE THAN THE ONES ON CONSOLE = Absolute Truth!

P.S. Does your brain comprehend this?!

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Prexxus

What the **** are you smoking?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

[QUOTE="theafiguy"]

There's that, but I think that after the hype of the CS series died down, and after Call of Duty made it's way to the big name consoles, PC games had little in the way of truely amazing exclusives. It'll remain the only platform suitable to have an MMORPG simply because of the amount that's going on, and a controller simply cannot take advantage of everything available. Imagine putting WoW on the 360, it would either be dumbed down or so slow that it wouldn't even be enjoyable.

Then there are strategy games, they don't really work on consoles. Halo Wars and The Outfit are great examples of them not working out too well. PC gaming will always be strong as long as those two genres are still only viable on the PC. Starcraft made a huge impact, and World of Warcraft is still the biggest selling MMO, you can't argue with the numbers of the Blizzard games.

That's not even taking into account that some people buy games on multiple platforms, for different reasons. I personally would never have a multi-platform single player game on a console because I know for a fact that they would have more user support, and modifications, on a PC.

theafiguy

Hmm thats your opinion there but if you are trying to state that since 2004 (ruff times of css release) that Pc has not had amazing exclusives then you would be in for a Huge surprise. If you take sometime on your own and do some research, you will find many great pc exclusives especially in a 5-6 year timeframe you are proposing.

I am also surprised that people are trying to state Pc gaming as a "niche Market". Base on the statements in this thread, you could just as easily make the same statements that "console gaming" is niche.

Well outside of MMO's, RPG's, and RTS games, there is little in the way of exclusive games that are actually good. Crysis was a huge bolster to the PC community because that game is now what, 4 years old, and it's STILL how people compare graphics. That is something truly amazing. What shooters have come out that are only PC that have really made an impact? I can't really think of one, I'm sure there are a few out there, I'm not doubting that at all.

I should have clarified that there haven't been many exclusive games around to really push the PC market, for shooting games at least. Of course we've have C&C, Company of Heroes, Starcraft II, Civilization V and other big name games, but those are all going to end up being MMO games or RTS games.

that makes no sense, outside of fps games and tps games I can think of barely anything successful on console. Sure there are rhythm games, but I wont really count that because pc has things like the sims and farmville that dont fit into the stupid definition of what counts in these arguments. The witcher, stalker series, arma 2, 2 crysis games not 1, spore was big, minecraft is snowballing into a huge success, many multiplats are many times better on pc. In the past the argument was that all pc had was shooters and rts games... lets reverse the argument, lets say we dont include shooters on the console side... third person or otherwise. Doesnt leave much now does it? PC just dominates any console overall, im not sure if its because pc players are more hardcore into gaming (so many console players only own halo or call of duty) or if it has to do with the number of owners. One thing that matters though, and consoles are starting to feel it too... games that have long lasting online value stop people from buying other games. On console call of duty and halo keep players from buying other games, on pc well I could go on for paragraphs. The 10 million playing wow arent buying much else for the most part, but those 10 million gamers count.