Fallout: New Vegas sold 1.4 million units; Guess how many were on PC

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

User Lists: 0

#101 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Sorry, I can't hear you over the extra cash in my pocket. Nah, I kid.

Cruxis27

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Best post ive read all day.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts
[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

This topic is cute. Another one added to the 'If only PC gaming was actually dying' pile.

Daytona_178
I believe the point of this topic was to show why game developers are focussing less on the PC platform and more on consoles these days.....I maybe wrong though.

It failed in doing so.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] What? as far as i remember reading DICE claimed PC sold double the consoles, i dont know whats fact or fiction, but 31,000 copies? source?Birdy09

Bad Company 2 sales:

Xbox 360: 2 299 898

PC: 2 007 335

PS3: 1 858 206

Source:

http://bfbcs.com/ tracks any account made with the game.

Compared to NPD Bad Company 2 PC sales: 190.000

So, let me laugh again about any NPD/Vgchartz "official" PC sales. Current NPD charts are utterly useless to track sales from PC software.

Now thats more like it, but ummmm, food for thought, "accounts created? you can make an EA account as many times as you want... on all systems? while ingame, doesnt mean the CD keys attached are 2 million. and I like how Bad Company is the ONLY example floating around, yea a few PC games sell aswell, but even our biggest games dont sell anywhere near close to the console counter-parts, only recent exclusive in memory is WoW.... which is just the only real monster. Fallout 3 is fully piratable, there is no insentive to buy it, and it reflects in PC sales, we get one or two online games that do extremely well a year and thats about it.

and of those console numbers, how many are rentals and second hand sales?

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#104 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

Heh, i made the same mistake as OP....remember PC gaming = Steam pretty much so as those figures are not counted we dont know how well FNV did.

Daytona_178
Saying that Steam figures aren't counted implies that VGCharts has access to retail sales numbers. Which they don't. Their numbers are literally nothing than stabs in the dark slightly based on them walking into a shop and saying "What games are selling well?!"
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

This topic is cute. Another one added to the 'If only PC gaming was actually dying' pile.

Mystic-G
I believe the point of this topic was to show why game developers are focussing less on the PC platform and more on consoles these days.....I maybe wrong though.

It failed in doing so.

truth is, they are focused on everything as a whole.
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#106 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts
PC gaming wasn't exactly doing a million times better when the consoles weren't so popular, I knew almost no one who played PC games back in 2000. The advent of Xbox Live back in the day is what has propelled the consoles to do better, because now they have the same capabilities that the PC does, not including user content such as mods, skins, or stuff like how we're going to see in Alien Swarm. PC is doing fine, and I doubt it would be doing much better if piracy was gone. I'm not saying it wouldn't do any better, because naturally some more people would purchase the game, but a lot of people torrent these games because they can't afford them, not because they don't want to purchase them. I initially torrented STALKER CoP, but bought it later, because I love single-player games that are engaging. A friend of mine got FNV, I installed it on my computer, not direct piracy sure, but the same thing. Does it mean I plan on not purchasing the game? No. I'll still get it because there is DLC to be had, and in the future, I may want to come back and play it. I think if anything, Steam has been saving the PC platform, but that could just be me.
marc5477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#107 marc5477
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts

Aside from the obvious lack of digital sales tracking there are many retailers that simply do not participate in tracking most notably is Walmart. If memory serves me, a few years ago NPD tried to get them to release their numbers and they told them that it was their policy not to release that data. Probably because they dont want other retailers to know what is selling well and thus protecting their sales from more competition. At least, not giving them the numbers would at least make other retailers work to get the data. I assume other retailers probably do the same.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts
I think if anything, Steam has been saving the PC platform, but that could just be me.theafiguy
More than just by sales numbers, too. Steam has shown the industry that the PC can be a very lucrative platform given the right business model. Impulse has already picked up on it, and Microsoft will follow suit soon with the GFWL relaunch. Who knows what Steam will inspire in the years ahead?
raichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#109 raichou
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts

Okay by the fact that digital copies were part of the count, this thread is pointless.

raichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#110 raichou
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts

SORRY

*NOT PART OF THE COUNT

My bad

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#111 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]1. Do these figures include digital distribution? Most likely not. 2. PC gaming is not dying. 3. Troll elsewhere.

He's Not Trolling you are by saying that. What did he offend you because you copy is still downloading from Pirate Bay? He has a point digital distribution or not PC gaming is being effected by Pirating and i bet the amount of people who pirated Fallout 3 New Vegas is in the 100,000 of thousands.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 dos4gw82

He's Not Trolling you are by saying that. What did he offend you because you copy is still downloading from Pirate Bay? jwsoul

Sure. Let's add another layer of hypocrisy right off the bat.

He has a point digital distribution or not PC gaming is being effected by Pirating and i bet the amount of people who pirated Fallout 3 New Vegas is in the 100,000 of thousands. jwsoul

I never said that pirating isn't affecting PC gaming. He said that PC gaming is dying - which I find to be a largely untrue and useless inflammatory statement -because of piracy, and he used shoddy sales figures to make his argument.

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive, but if the TC wasn't intending just to get a hostile response or spread negativity, if he truly cared about what is happening, he would have perhaps made an effort to gather some real information instead of picking up the first thing that he found that supports his argumentb.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

He's Not Trolling you are by saying that. What did he offend you because you copy is still downloading from Pirate Bay? He has a point digital distribution or not PC gaming is being effected by Pirating and i bet the amount of people who pirated Fallout 3 New Vegas is in the 100,000 of thousands. jwsoul

Which system had the game available to pirate 3 weeks before it was released? Oh yeah, it was the 360 version. Tell me again how piracy is only a PC problem? The whole, "piracy is killing the PC" argument is getting more than a little worn out.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

[QUOTE="jwsoul"]He's Not Trolling you are by saying that. What did he offend you because you copy is still downloading from Pirate Bay? He has a point digital distribution or not PC gaming is being effected by Pirating and i bet the amount of people who pirated Fallout 3 New Vegas is in the 100,000 of thousands. -wildflower-

Which system had the game available to pirate 3 weeks before it was released? Oh yeah, it was the 360 version. Tell me again how piracy is only a PC problem? The whole, "piracy is killing the PC" argument is getting more than a little worn out.

Because it costs money and involves modding your Xbox 360....also if you EVER take that console online you risk it being permanently banned! With the PC you have NONE of those problems, they are all pirate ready out of the box! Piracy is mainly a PC gaming, DS & PSP problem, Xbox 360 isnt THAT bad.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#115 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="jwsoul"]He's Not Trolling you are by saying that. What did he offend you because you copy is still downloading from Pirate Bay? He has a point digital distribution or not PC gaming is being effected by Pirating and i bet the amount of people who pirated Fallout 3 New Vegas is in the 100,000 of thousands. Daytona_178

Because it costs money and involves modding your Xbox 360....also if you EVER take that console online you risk it being permanently banned! With the PC you have NONE of those problems, they are all pirate ready out of the box! Piracy is mainly a PC gaming, DS & PSP problem, Xbox 360 isnt THAT bad.

Well you can buy bootleg DVD copies that don't require modding your console, right? I'm not downplaying PC piracy, clearly it is the worst but console piracy has been on the rise and is catching up. Oh and DS and PSP piracy is a huge problem, it's incredibly easy to do.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Daytona_178

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

Gooeykat

Well you can buy bootleg DVD copies that don't require modding your console, right? I'm not downplaying PC piracy, clearly it is the worst but console piracy has been on the rise and is catching up. Oh and DS and PSP piracy is a huge problem, it's incredibly easy to do.

When I last looked into it the Xbox 360 required a mod chip which in total costes about £100. Also you need dual layer DVD's to burn which are expensive and rare. Also they games are always 12GB's which is massive. Nope PC piracy is easier!

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Easier maybe but then again it seems like more people do it for the xbox 360 Mw2 at least had more 360 pirates then the pc did.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

When I last looked into it the Xbox 360 required a mod chip which in total costes about £100. Also you need dual layer DVD's to burn which are expensive and rare. Also they games are always 12GB's which is massive. Nope PC piracy is easier!

Daytona_178

You might want to look again because all three of those facts you stated are wrong. Firstly an xbox can be modded without a chip, the process is somewhat convoluted but it can be done quite easily without a "modchip"(no I have never done it since I don't own an xbox). Secondly dual layer discs are incredibly cheap for the price of ONE xbox game you can buy FIFTY dual layer dvd's. Finally games on the xbox 360 are hardly ever 12gbs, an xbox dvd can hold around 6gbs (with the other 2gbs reserved for security and promotional purposes). So most xbox games are usually around 6 - 7gbs, in fact it is usually the case that the PC version is larger in size than the xbox version, a good example is GTA 4 which is around 6gbs on the xbox and 14gbs on the PC.

Piracy on the xbox is just as easy as it is on the PC, the only difference is that the PC is actually putting up a pretty good fight against zero day piracy with very few games these days being released before the actual release date in contrast to the xbox 360 which sees nearly all their games released on the "scene" nearly 3 weeks before the official release date.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Because it costs money and involves modding your Xbox 360....also if you EVER take that console online you risk it being permanently banned! With the PC you have NONE of those problems, they are all pirate ready out of the box! Piracy is mainly a PC gaming, DS & PSP problem, Xbox 360 isnt THAT bad.Daytona_178

Rofl, trult in denial, pirating console game is super easy needing a mod chip to do it means nothing, since thats not hard to fi9nd/do.

Also dvd9s rare? rofl.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 -wildflower-

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"] Because it costs money and involves modding your Xbox 360....also if you EVER take that console online you risk it being permanently banned! With the PC you have NONE of those problems, they are all pirate ready out of the box! Piracy is mainly a PC gaming, DS & PSP problem, Xbox 360 isnt THAT bad.Daytona_178

Dual layer DvDs aren't expensive nor are they rare, 360 games are also not 12GB in size, and, from a few quick Google searches, it also appears that modding a 360 isn't all that difficult or expensive. Yes, modding your 360 will void your warranty and possibly get you banned from Xbox live but I hardly think people who are pirating games (especially single player games like FO:NV) care about either of those things.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 dos4gw82

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

Easier, but I'm not convinced it's that much easier. Once you find whatever hardware or software needed to do it, I imagine it would be quite easy for you to do from that moment on.

The PC has always been the platform with the biggest piracy problem, but it isn't a problem exclusive to the PC.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Gooeykat

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

Mmm yeah, never said it was easier, but assuming you are correct (which I'm not sure that you are), $150 for a mod chip isn't a huge expense and as others have mentioned, dual layer DVDs are not rare or expensive.
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

90,000 units

Meanwhile the X360 version sold 850,000 units and the PS3 version sold 460,000 units.

Obviously, however, the popularity of Fallout isn't that different between PC and console. It's was a hyped up release even on PC gaming forums, so I doubt that the 90,000 units is due to a lack of interest. I think we all know what the real reason for it's abominable performance is, and I really can't see how anyone can deny it considering the massive discrepancy between the amount of PC gamers talking about it and the amount who actually bought the game.

Seriously guys, piracy is the reason PC gaming is dying. Sales for all PC games should be MUCH higher than they are and publishers know it. It's the reason why most PC exclusive franchises have gone multiplat at best or console-exclusive at worst, and why most games released for the PC these days are nothing more than lazy ports of the console version.

gameguy6700

Valve: Don't Believe The US Press, PC Gaming Is Alive And Well

in an interview with Good Game that slipped under the radar, Valve's business manager, Jason Holtman, said all the talk about PC gaming dieing because of some super-game console comes from "North America press looking at North American reports". "And North America retail reports don't have Europe in them, and they don't have online PCs on them, they don't have micro-transactions PCs in it. Steam has 20 million users right now and you've got figures like the Cartner Group tells us there's 260 million online PC gamers in the world.

Lombardi pointed out that the sales data often cited to buttress claims of a dying PC industry do not include MMOG subscribers, Steam users, other customers of digital download services, or even other countries.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#124 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Piracy is the reason PC gaming is dying?

• Xbox games are released on torrent sites weeks before PC counterparts
  • They don't require cracks, so pirates download them and play
  • Apparently less people play these type of games (requiring good hardware) on PC than on console

So I don't think PC piracy is the huge deal people make it out as. PS3 games are rarely pirated and look at those sales too. Obviously piracy is an issue, but I think people exaggerate it.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 -wildflower-

Mmm yeah, never said it was easier, but assuming you are correct (which I'm not sure that you are), $150 for a mod chip isn't a huge expense and as others have mentioned, dual layer DVDs are not rare or expensive.Gooeykat

From what I read it takes a SATA card (not a specialized mod chip) which can be found fairly cheaply. I also saw some things that said it may be as simple as a firmware hack. I honestly don't know if either of these work. I don't own a 360 and wouldn't hack it if I did.

What bothers me in these types of threads is the insinuation that this is a PC only problem when, in fact, it's not. It's an issue on all platforms (except, maybe, the PS3).

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Daytona_178

Wow, dont ovvereact toom much guys :P That was just the case LAST TIME I CHECKED!

Heh.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

It should also be noted that in 2009 Microsoft had to ban 1 MILLION xbox consoles because of piracy :-

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10395265-52.html

Not 100, not 1,000, not 10,000 but 1,000,000 xbox consoles and that was just those they could detect. It should also be noted that whilst those 1,000,000 consoles are now banned from xbox live it does not prevent them from playing single player games. So please don't try and pass piracy on the consoles off as some sort of "minor" inconvenience that has no impact. Now if you couple that with the problem of second hand sales and game rental on the consoles it isn't unfair to say that revenue loss on consoles is just as bad as revenue loss on the PC.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Gooeykat

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"] Mmm yeah, never said it was easier, but assuming you are correct (which I'm not sure that you are), $150 for a mod chip isn't a huge expense and as others have mentioned, dual layer DVDs are not rare or expensive.-wildflower-

From what I read it takes a SATA card (not a specialized mod chip) which can be found fairly cheaply. I also saw some things that said it may be as simple as a firmware hack. I honestly don't know if either of these work. I don't own a 360 and wouldn't hack it if I did.

What bothers me in these types of threads is the insinuation that this is a PC only problem when, in fact, it's not. It's an issue on all platforms (except, maybe, the PS3).

Yep and for pirates, they don't care about the system, they will figure out a way to do it, it's just a matter of time. The longer these consoles are around the easier it will get, until the next generation of console and then they start over.
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts

90,000 units

Meanwhile the X360 version sold 850,000 units and the PS3 version sold 460,000 units.

Obviously, however, the popularity of Fallout isn't that different between PC and console. It's was a hyped up release even on PC gaming forums, so I doubt that the 90,000 units is due to a lack of interest. I think we all know what the real reason for it's abominable performance is, and I really can't see how anyone can deny it considering the massive discrepancy between the amount of PC gamers talking about it and the amount who actually bought the game.

Seriously guys, piracy is the reason PC gaming is dying. Sales for all PC games should be MUCH higher than they are and publishers know it. It's the reason why most PC exclusive franchises have gone multiplat at best or console-exclusive at worst, and why most games released for the PC these days are nothing more than lazy ports of the console version.

gameguy6700

on a side note, nice rig in ya sig

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Well, I can see why, my saves all broke! So much for the 50 hours I put into the game.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

Bad Company 2 sales:

Xbox 360: 2 299 898

PC: 2 007 335

PS3: 1 858 206

Source:

http://bfbcs.com/ tracks any account made with the game.

Compared to NPD Bad Company 2 PC sales: 190.000

So, let me laugh again about any NPD/Vgchartz "official" PC sales. Current NPD charts are utterly useless to track sales from PC software.

Birdy09

Now thats more like it, but ummmm, food for thought, "accounts created? you can make an EA account as many times as you want... on all systems? while ingame, doesnt mean the CD keys attached are 2 million. and I like how Bad Company is the ONLY example floating around, yea a few PC games sell aswell, but even our biggest games dont sell anywhere near close to the console counter-parts, only recent exclusive in memory is WoW.... which is just the only real monster. Fallout 3 is fully piratable, there is no insentive to buy it, and it reflects in PC sales, we get one or two online games that do extremely well a year and thats about it.

Doesn't matter how many accounts you can create due

1) Is the same for console accounts.

2) EA officially marked 5 millions units of BC 2 sold at the E3, so 6 millions currently seems a very accurate number.

3 ) Multiple accounts means that you must divide your xp, that is usually a undesired drawback.

So, my point:

Lately some multiplatform games in PC are performing very competitively compared to the sale figures from consoles. Some exclusives are doing equally well (Crysis, The Witcher, DoW II, Starcraft II... ) You can argue "wait, some of these barely sold about a couple of millions" Well, lately aside from CODs, Halos and maybe a Rockstar game or two most of highly anticipated "AAAA" exclusive games from consoles are consistently *chocking* in sales: Alan Wake, Forza 3, Killzone 2...

Software market in consoles has currently a 6 moths fallstreak decline in sales, whereas platforms as Steam increase their volume of sales in a 100% in just a year, jumping also from 17 to 30 millions of accounts. As long as I see the thing, seems that consoles are now in a very weak position, with the gap between the technical power of PCs more evident week after week and most of the console sagas overexploited. The truth is: if Move/Kinect flops -which seems inevitable- this gen will be out of fuel inside a big financial crisis, in which PC is proving that is a very healthy platform despite the inherent, problematic weakness against piracy.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

dont need a mod chip. u can flash (mod) a 360 for like $50 canadian or even 40. DL dvds are easy to get and cheaper if u dont buy from some place like bestbuy. 360 games are around 6.6 GB. PC games r easier to pirate though for sure, but 360 piracy is easier for casuals

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
You do realise that the PC version will only register on Steam, and since Steam don't give out their sales data to anyone the quoted figure is BS. Oh and well done to the OP for creating a heading of 90,000 - but if you had clicked through your own links to VGCharts, would have found the week 1 PC figures for Fallout New Vegas was 145k - still no accounting for any DD sales.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
digital distribution is what a large majority of gamers use to get games. so this is WAY off.
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
Contrary to popular belief PC gaming is sitl young compared to most mediums of entertainment. I think eventually they will think of a way to cut down in priacy in a major way.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#136 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

PC gaming wasn't exactly doing a million times better when the consoles weren't so popular, I knew almost no one who played PC games back in 2000. The advent of Xbox Live back in the day is what has propelled the consoles to do better, because now they have the same capabilities that the PC does, not including user content such as mods, skins, or stuff like how we're going to see in Alien Swarm. PC is doing fine, and I doubt it would be doing much better if piracy was gone. I'm not saying it wouldn't do any better, because naturally some more people would purchase the game, but a lot of people torrent these games because they can't afford them, not because they don't want to purchase them. I initially torrented STALKER CoP, but bought it later, because I love single-player games that are engaging. A friend of mine got FNV, I installed it on my computer, not direct piracy sure, but the same thing. Does it mean I plan on not purchasing the game? No. I'll still get it because there is DLC to be had, and in the future, I may want to come back and play it. I think if anything, Steam has been saving the PC platform, but that could just be me.theafiguy

Exactly my thoughts. PC gaming has been and will always be, a significant niche. There are the same number of people playing PC games now as there were ten years ago. However, the growth of console gaming has overshadowed PC gaming by such a margin, that by certain standards, PC gaming appears to be dying when really it hasn't grown much at all.

PC gaming is not dead, but it will remain a small, but significant, niche.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#137 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I don't remember the last pc game I bought in an actual store.

Avatar image for fireforge_basic
fireforge_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 fireforge_basic
Member since 2002 • 106 Posts

There is one BIG fact that no one has brought up. The developer recieves 30 - 50 percent more profit on digital copies. Compared to the over-head costs and size of cuts the retailers take.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

There is one BIG fact that no one has brought up. The developer recieves 30 - 50 percent more profit on digital copies. Compared to the over-head costs and size of cuts the retailers take.

fireforge_basic

This is another great thing about Steam, but I've noticed that people would rather cry about not seeing those cost savings passed onto consumers (even though they obviously are during the many yearly sales.)

Avatar image for fireforge_basic
fireforge_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 fireforge_basic
Member since 2002 • 106 Posts
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="fireforge_basic"]

This is another great thing about Steam, but I've noticed that people would rather cry about not seeing those cost savings passed onto consumers (even though they obviously are during the many yearly sales.)

Gamestop does more damage to consoles then piracy does to Pc gaming.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="theafiguy"]PC gaming wasn't exactly doing a million times better when the consoles weren't so popular, I knew almost no one who played PC games back in 2000. The advent of Xbox Live back in the day is what has propelled the consoles to do better, because now they have the same capabilities that the PC does, not including user content such as mods, skins, or stuff like how we're going to see in Alien Swarm. PC is doing fine, and I doubt it would be doing much better if piracy was gone. I'm not saying it wouldn't do any better, because naturally some more people would purchase the game, but a lot of people torrent these games because they can't afford them, not because they don't want to purchase them. I initially torrented STALKER CoP, but bought it later, because I love single-player games that are engaging. A friend of mine got FNV, I installed it on my computer, not direct piracy sure, but the same thing. Does it mean I plan on not purchasing the game? No. I'll still get it because there is DLC to be had, and in the future, I may want to come back and play it. I think if anything, Steam has been saving the PC platform, but that could just be me.The_Capitalist

Exactly my thoughts. PC gaming has been and will always be, a significant niche. There are the same number of people playing PC games now as there were ten years ago. However, the growth of console gaming has overshadowed PC gaming by such a margin, that by certain standards, PC gaming appears to be dying when really it hasn't grown much at all.

thats not even true, pc gaming has grown quite a bit. A lot of folks want to look at the type of games currently on console, and only those type of games... but games on facebook, f2p games found all over the web (league of legends for example), world of warcraft (the game is so big it gets its own category), other mmos, older games that still get purchased thanks to dd, and then on top of that a section of games that easily compete with any console directly (crysis, witcher, stalker, starcraft 2, civ 5, much superior multiplats)... see when you look at the entire picture, and think how many are playing all these games nothing can compare.
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#142 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts

[QUOTE="theafiguy"]PC gaming wasn't exactly doing a million times better when the consoles weren't so popular, I knew almost no one who played PC games back in 2000. The advent of Xbox Live back in the day is what has propelled the consoles to do better, because now they have the same capabilities that the PC does, not including user content such as mods, skins, or stuff like how we're going to see in Alien Swarm. PC is doing fine, and I doubt it would be doing much better if piracy was gone. I'm not saying it wouldn't do any better, because naturally some more people would purchase the game, but a lot of people torrent these games because they can't afford them, not because they don't want to purchase them. I initially torrented STALKER CoP, but bought it later, because I love single-player games that are engaging. A friend of mine got FNV, I installed it on my computer, not direct piracy sure, but the same thing. Does it mean I plan on not purchasing the game? No. I'll still get it because there is DLC to be had, and in the future, I may want to come back and play it. I think if anything, Steam has been saving the PC platform, but that could just be me.The_Capitalist

There's that, but I think that after the hype of the CS series died down, and after Call of Duty made it's way to the big name consoles, PC games had little in the way of truely amazing exclusives. It'll remain the only platform suitable to have an MMORPG simply because of the amount that's going on, and a controller simply cannot take advantage of everything available. Imagine putting WoW on the 360, it would either be dumbed down or so slow that it wouldn't even be enjoyable.

Then there are strategy games, they don't really work on consoles. Halo Wars and The Outfit are great examples of them not working out too well. PC gaming will always be strong as long as those two genres are still only viable on the PC. Starcraft made a huge impact, and World of Warcraft is still the biggest selling MMO, you can't argue with the numbers of the Blizzard games.

That's not even taking into account that some people buy games on multiple platforms, for different reasons. I personally would never have a multi-platform single player game on a console because I know for a fact that they would have more user support, and modifications, on a PC.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#144 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

There's that, but I think that after the hype of the CS series died down, and after Call of Duty made it's way to the big name consoles, PC games had little in the way of truely amazing exclusives. It'll remain the only platform suitable to have an MMORPG simply because of the amount that's going on, and a controller simply cannot take advantage of everything available. Imagine putting WoW on the 360, it would either be dumbed down or so slow that it wouldn't even be enjoyable.

Then there are strategy games, they don't really work on consoles. Halo Wars and The Outfit are great examples of them not working out too well. PC gaming will always be strong as long as those two genres are still only viable on the PC. Starcraft made a huge impact, and World of Warcraft is still the biggest selling MMO, you can't argue with the numbers of the Blizzard games.

That's not even taking into account that some people buy games on multiple platforms, for different reasons. I personally would never have a multi-platform single player game on a console because I know for a fact that they would have more user support, and modifications, on a PC.

theafiguy

Hmm thats your opinion there but if you are trying to state that since 2004 (ruff times of css release) that Pc has not had amazing exclusives then you would be in for a Huge surprise. If you take sometime on your own and do some research, you will find many great pc exclusives especially in a 5-6 year timeframe you are proposing.

I am also surprised that people are trying to state Pc gaming as a "niche Market". Base on the statements in this thread, you could just as easily make the same statements that "console gaming" is niche.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

Erm, ok, few things wrong with OP.

1. DD not counted. 2. Pc games sell steadily over time where as console games sell high then tail off. 3. Piracy is not to blame for low RETAIL sales, DD is.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
1. VG charts. Credible sources please. 2. This is all estimation. 3. Digital sales aren't even considered, seen steam lately?
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#148 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

4. It was a estimate in US (they play less PC games overall)...

5. Pc games are alive.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#149 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

fireforge_basic
Actually, this is incorrect apart from in the case of Indie games. In the case of big games, the PUBLISHER receives that money. The Developer has already been paid for their work, and get royalties. The rate for royalties being spelled out in their contract for the game before it ever reached (digital) store shelves. So the developers get none of that extra profit unless they are indie, or have a REALLY good relationship with their publisher (very rare.)
al0rion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 al0rion
Member since 2010 • 126 Posts

I preordered a retail copy, but play.com have seriously ballsed up my order; They said that they posted it on the 20th, and its now the 30th, with no sign of it.