Fallout: New Vegas sold 1.4 million units; Guess how many were on PC

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

90,000 units

Meanwhile the X360 version sold 850,000 units and the PS3 version sold 460,000 units.

Obviously, however, the popularity of Fallout isn't that different between PC and console. It's was a hyped up release even on PC gaming forums, so I doubt that the 90,000 units is due to a lack of interest. I think we all know what the real reason for it's abominable performance is, and I really can't see how anyone can deny it considering the massive discrepancy between the amount of PC gamers talking about it and the amount who actually bought the game.

Seriously guys, piracy is the reason PC gaming is dying. Sales for all PC games should be MUCH higher than they are and publishers know it. It's the reason why most PC exclusive franchises have gone multiplat at best or console-exclusive at worst, and why most games released for the PC these days are nothing more than lazy ports of the console version.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

90,000 units

Meanwhile the X360 version sold 850,000 units and the PS3 version sold 460,000 units.

Obviously, however, the popularity of Fallout isn't that different between PC and console. It's was a hyped up release even on PC gaming forums, so I doubt that the 90,000 units is due to a lack of interest. I think we all know what the real reason for it's abominable performance is, and I really can't see how anyone can deny it considering the massive discrepancy between the amount of PC gamers talking about it and the amount who actually bought the game.

Seriously guys, piracy is the reason PC gaming is dying. Sales for all PC games should be MUCH higher than they are and publishers know it. It's the reason why most PC exclusive franchises have gone multiplat at best or console-exclusive at worst, and why most games released for the PC these days are nothing more than lazy ports of the console version.

The reason that number is so low is because virtual sales are not counted. I buy all my games retail but apparently a number close to 75% of people buy games digitaly now.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts
1. Do these figures include digital distribution? Most likely not. 2. PC gaming is not dying. 3. Troll elsewhere.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

That number is not including the Digital Download versions (which I bought and many others did)

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

That number is not including the Digital Download versions (which I bought and many others did)

kozzy1234
Where does it say it doesn't take into account digital downloads?
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

gameguy6700

It's just well known they don't.

For any proof look for sources but keywords from wikipedia itself.

''Sales figures on VG Chartz are based on estimates extrapolated from small retail samples.''

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Cenerune

It's just well known they don't.

For any proof look for sources but keywords from wikipedia itself.

''Sales figures on VG Chartz are based on estimates extrapolated from small retail samples.''

Yeah, they usually take into account physical copies sold. I'm sure the numbers would be higher if they added up the digital downloads. In this day and age, digital download is becoming more popular. Even for someone like me who prefers physical copies.

Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

Yeah, they usually take into account physical copies sold. I'm sure the numbers would be higher if they added up the digital downloads. In this day and age, digital download is becoming more popular. Even for someone like me who prefers physical copies.

Elann2008

Pretty much, most of the information given out toward those organisations tracking sales are from retailers. Digital download has replaced retail on PC, which is why they always have low numbers for PC. Even developers and publishers have said that the numbers are not representative of what they actually sold on PC.

Beside that, Steam registered it peaked at 38 145 people playing it today. It's in the top 5 played games on steam and currently first with 17 911 players playing it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Retail sales don't include digital distribution which I'm guessing about 90% of PC gamers who bought New Vegas decided to use.

Steam just rocks that hard.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

That only retail sales. Nice try; PC gaming is far from dead.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

gameguy6700

Source 10-21-2010

"In other words, sales of physical game copies simply don't account for all the money pumped into the industry anymore. As such, the NPD will soon release the debut issue of its new report, Games Industry: Total Consumer Spend. While the report still includes data on sales of new games, accessories and hardware, it will also feature data on "used games, rentals, mobile apps, social network games, and digitally acquired content in the U.S."

That's NPD. If they're not doing it, why should we think VG Chartz is?

In fact:

From VG Chartz Wikipedia Page

"Sales figures on VG Chartz are based on estimates extrapolated from small retail samples."

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

Woot I was 1/90000 people I feel slightly more special

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

90,000 units

gameguy6700

First of all no DD sales counted in. Second, VG chartz only does US numbers accurately. And third..in a month sales of New Vegas on consoles will drop to nothing, while PC ones will remain steady for many months.

In a year sales of PC version will most likely match 360.

Console fanboys just as always have no clue about the way the market works. We had the same deal with Crysis where console fanboys were whining that it sold merel 70K units in first three weeks, now it's close to 2mln if not more. They also whined about Bioshock sales being 90% on 360 and yet a year after the game was out both versions sales were about equal.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The majority of PC sales are done through DD now...

I honestly doubt this game sold just 90,000 units on PC. Especially considering the sales of other titles like recctear.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

*Sees comment about PC Gaming Dying*

Goes to Steam Archives: "Valve's digital distribution service hits new milestone on the back of 178 percent user growth; unit sales spike 200 percent in last 12 months"

*Waves*

Cancel the wake because PC Gaming is back in business!

(But yes it is rather ironic that Fallout started on PC but has found a home elsewhere)

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I bought mine on Direct 2 drive which i bet most people who bought this for pc bought it online.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Well its the top seller on Steam so it must be doing much better than retail sales
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Are those official numbers released by Bethesda, or are those what VG charts estimates?
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
only NA sales ???
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Cenerune

Pretty much, most of the information given out toward those organisations tracking sales are from retailers. Digital download has replaced retail on PC, which is why they always have low numbers for PC. Even developers and publishers have said that the numbers are not representative of what they actually sold on PC.

Beside that, Steam registered it peaked at 38 145 people playing it today. It's in the top 5 played games on steam and currently first with 17 911 players playing it.

Great info! So add gamersgate, impulse, direct2drive, and others. Should be a nice total.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

Are we supposed to care? Let alone believe biased data?

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
The game is linked to steam, most purchases were definitely digital
PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Based upon the NPD data below, physical sales represent about 41% of the PC market, while digital distribution represents about 59%.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/20/pc-game-digital-sales-have-now-outpaced-physical-sales/

Using these figures, and the 90,000 retail sales reported by vgchartz, the actual total sales for New Vegas are around 220,000 for PC. Still the smallest number yes, but it's nothing to scoff at, especially in relation to the market size compared to the PS3 and 360. I think the PC is doing fine.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

Woot I was 1/90000 people I feel slightly more special

tutt3r

That was funny! :)

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

Considering on steam there were 35,000 concurrent users, i doubt it sold 90,000 copies

Stats from today:

17,38635,084Fallout New Vegas

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
This topic fails for using VGCharts as a source. 1) VGCharts numbers are ENTIRELY speculation and estimates. They have no actual evidence of any of their sales numbers. 2) They only make their guesses about 'brick and mortar' retailers. Not Digital Distribution sites. Come back to me when Bethesda says "New Vegas only sold 20,000 units on PC across all sales methods" and then maybe I'll be more inclined to take this topic seriously. When people use things like VGCharts as proof to back up a point then their argument should not be taken seriously. If someone is stupid enough to take VGCharts numbers as fact, then they aren't the kind of people who can be reasoned with logically.
Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

Sorry, I can't hear you over the extra cash in my pocket. Nah, I kid.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Is that also with the Digital Distribution numbers, Such as Steam sales?
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

isn't there a digital download chart coming soon for pc games? we'll see then.

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts

you realise most people on PC buy their games digitally right?

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Despite extrapolating the digital sales as well, it is quite clear the PC version has sold the least copies of all versions of the game.

PC gaming isn't dying. In fact, it's thriving where games like Farmville are concerned. Hardcore PC gaming is being forced into a smaller and smaller niche.

RareMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RareMonkey
Member since 2010 • 207 Posts

Hey guise I don't know if anybody has mentioned this yet but the data apparently doesn't include digital downloads

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GeneralShowzer

Despite extrapolating the digital sales as well, it is quite clear the PC version has sold the least copies of all versions of the game.

PC gaming isn't dying. In fact, it's thriving where games like Farmville are concerned. Hardcore PC gaming is being forced into a smaller and smaller niche.

The_Capitalist
Oh, is that why Steam's userbase and sales figures keep rising? And why Starcraft II sold as much as Halo Reach.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Based upon the NPD data below, physical sales represent about 41% of the PC market, while digital distribution represents about 59%.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/20/pc-game-digital-sales-have-now-outpaced-physical-sales/

Using these figures, and the 90,000 retail sales reported by vgchartz, the actual total sales for New Vegas are around 220,000 for PC. Still the smallest number yes, but it's nothing to scoff at, especially in relation to the market size compared to the PS3 and 360. I think the PC is doing fine.

PTMags
Good post, I was just about to say this :)
sakshamH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sakshamH
Member since 2010 • 352 Posts

90,000 units

gameguy6700
Lazy port???? then how come console gets a 7.5 and pc gets 8.5//////////////// Secondly, no matter how lazy a pc port is, it is always better than consoles. Gta iv for example. a bad port but much better than console(specailly after patching)..looks and runs beteer lastly, it doesnt even take digital sales into count. Piracy is a problem but so is on x360 and'll soon be( or is it already ? :P) on ps3! i guesss around 500K people have bought it(overall, digital + retail), and thats pretty good
sakshamH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sakshamH
Member since 2010 • 352 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

90,000 units

sakshamH
Lazy port???? then how come console gets a 7.5 and pc gets 8.5//////////////// Secondly, no matter how lazy a pc port is, it is always better than consoles. Gta iv for example. a bad port but much better than console(specailly after patching)..looks and runs beteer lastly, it doesnt even take digital sales into count. Piracy is a problem but so is on x360 and'll soon be( or is it already ? :P) on ps3! i guesss around 500K people have bought it(overall, digital + retail), and thats pretty good

Opps i meant 400 not 500 :)
JS0123456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JS0123456789
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts

I guess I'm one of the few old fashioned people who still want the disc. I don't really know what the point is though since I still have to use Steam and games don't even come with much of a manual in box. New Vegas didn't even come with a map - might be an effort to get people to buy the strategy guide.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

GeneralShowzer

Oh, is that why Steam's userbase and sales figures keep rising? And why Starcraft II sold as much as Halo Reach.

And you believe that Valve isn't puffing up their statistics somehow? It is rising, but are people spending more? For example, I don't buy anything from Steam unless it's on sale. Everything else is in a plastic DVD case from Amazon.

Let's admit it. PC gaming is much less dominant than it used to be, or it had hit the limits of growth long ago and has been overshadowed by console gaming ever since.

But regardless, more research is needed.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
pc eco friendly ! digital is the way to go ! protect the nature :D
RocketSalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RocketSalvo
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I think mod support makes the pc version a much better buy which is why I bought it for PC even tho I have an xbox
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

VGChartz doesn't take into account DD.

Fail thread about piracy is fail.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

The_Capitalist

And you believe that Valve isn't puffing up their statistics somehow? It is rising, but are people spending more? For example, I don't buy anything from Steam unless it's on sale. Everything else is in a plastic DVD case from Amazon.

Let's admit it. PC gaming is much less dominant than it used to be, or it had hit the limits of growth long ago and has been overshadowed by console gaming ever since.

Mate i suggest you think before you write. Firstly Starcraft 2 sold a lot of copies, and its an RTS game not exactly a casual. And from Dice "PC gaming is alive and well, BFBC2 has proven that and no one at DICE or EA can argue with the numbers." http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1363387-demize99-working-bf3-4.html#post18686418 As for people buying only when there is a sale is wrong. I know a lot of people who now buy the game only on Steam even if the retail price is the same. I buy my games only on Steam. Rather have a Steam version than physical copy these days. Also if the PC versions sold a lot less why is it that there seems to be more PC games than i can ever remember. I mean force unleashed 2, darksiders, dead rising 2, new metal gear solid, all console games all on the PC. Also with DD even if you sell less copies than the console version your profit is bigger. No manufacture costs, retail shops taking their cut etc etc
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GeneralShowzer

The_Capitalist

PC gaming is indeed overshadowed...in USA and UK. The world is bigger than that. Rest of Europe, Russia, Asia, PC is still dominant gaming platform.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
lol main rebuttal...the game is performing poorly on PC...thats their fault. If they had done a better job it would probably have sold more. ALSO - Digital distribution now counts for HALF of all PC sales...soo...that number is easily more likely to be...180,000 units sold. Thats a sad number still but Im sure you can understand the distortion.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Also, us PC'ers are used to games decreasing in price by 50% within 4 months of release.... I imagine most of us wait, than pre-order. I know that's what I've been doing.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I watch most of my shows on the internet (through legal sites like netflix, and hulu, and comedy central.com and etc etc.) those are not counted in the ratings, for instance Flash Forward

Most of the video games I purchase are digital downloads (which is probably not counted in that either), easily 70% of my games are. (less of a carbon footprint, don't worry about disk, etc.) A lot of times better deals without the worry of Tax or shipping.

Plus I rarely buy a game when it first comes out, I wait till it comes down in price a little, by then it will have most of the patches and bugs worked out.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

The_Capitalist

Steam reported a profit increase of 200% recently. This actually been a recurring trend for the past 3-5 years. So yes, people are spending more on Steam.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
But that doesn't include sales from digital distribution. I'm guessing a lot of people bought it off Steam (that's what I did).