Would you say OT has developed a deep culture?

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

I'm relatively new to these boards, but it has come to my mind that these boards, especially SW and OT, have very passionate communities that help define respective cultures.

Would you say that OT has its own distinct culture? If so, what traits would you say it has, and potentially which people define it, and how? If you say OT has a culture, how do you feel you impact it, if at all? Do you enjoy being a part of it? Would you go as far as to say that OT could be defined as a country (concerning the new change in the ToU (haven't been following all that, but it's a question nonetheless))? What would you say ultimately defines OT as a board, and how would you say OT has developed and has found its niche within the confines of GameSpot as a gaming website for gamers to congregate?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
There is a sense in which there is a distinct culture on these forums. In this instance the terms culture and community could be nearly synonymous. In what way do I speak of this distinct culture? Take assumed knowledge and terminology as an example. In what other cultural context would "touch her shoulder" mean anything other than what is literally stated? There are things in which the forumites of Gamespotatopia have in common. Is this the same as the cultural distinctives that separate ethnic groups, nations, and communities in real life? Not exactly - but there is a certain type of person who is drawn to such a community as this, and as we relate to one another we over time gain certain communal distinctives not shared by outsiders.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CaptainAhab13
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]There is a sense in which there is a distinct culture on these forums. In this instance the terms culture and community could be nearly synonymous. In what way do I speak of this distinct culture? Take assumed knowledge and terminology as an example. In what other cultural context would "touch her shoulder" mean anything other than what is literally stated? There are things in which the forumites of Gamespotatopia have in common. Is this the same as the cultural distinctives that separate ethnic groups, nations, and communities in real life? Not exactly - but there is a certain type of person who is drawn to such a community as this, and as we relate to one another we over time gain certain communal distinctives not shared by outsiders.

Hmmm, true. I agree. I don't get the "touch her shoulder" reference though. :?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Not entirely. YOu just have to hate mainstream music, love metal music, and be atheist and you'll fit right in here

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaptainAhab13

Not entirely. YOu just have to hate mainstream music, love metal music, and be atheist and you'll fit right in here

BPoole96
I would argue that the "traits" you just posted to "fit right in" could be considered cultural aspects: a hate of mainstream music, a deep adoration of metal, and being atheist. Musical and religious aspects of a culture.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

CaptainAhab13

I would argue that the "traits" you just posted to "fit right in" could be considered cultural aspects: a hate of mainstream music, a deep adoration of metal, and being atheist. Musical and religious aspects of a culture.

I suppose so. I mean those traits are very abundant it seems amongst users. People that love maintream music, hate metal but love rap/hip hop, and have strong feelings towards religion are probably going to be turned off of OT within a day of joining and go to some other site that has more people that are like them

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

BPoole96
plus you'd have to make fun of animal rights quite a lot.:)
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

I don't get the "touch her shoulder" reference though. :?CaptainAhab13

One of the very, very few GS memes.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
OT is the most civilized and developed culture on GS.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CaptainAhab13
OT is the most civilized and developed culture on GS.ZumaJones07
Def totes.
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts
It's a little international, I say, especially considering the American orientation of other forums. I think that, on its own, helped shaped a bit of the "culture" and posting etiquette. Good forums.
Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

BPoole96
so being religious makes me an ot hipster?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts
No it hasn't. It has it's own distinct groups that band together......but not one community feel.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Deep? No.

Diverse? Definitely

Interesting? Maybe so.

In the end I think you can divide the OT community in to 2 groups:

Boring and insane.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Fundai

Oh yes problem is you aren't the cool type of hipster you're a hipster among hipsters, making you a non-hipster, meaning you are not a hipster.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Victorious_Fize
No it hasn't. It has it's own distinct groups that band together......but not one community feel.LJS9502_basic
That's somewhat true. I think it's mostly because members debate much, much, much more than they blog and learn about each other. On other forums, I always VM constantly and stuff with everyone, especially teh chicks. Either way, I don't like how it is here, but, as long as we are civilized...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No it hasn't. It has it's own distinct groups that band together......but not one community feel.Victorious_Fize
That's somewhat true. I think it's mostly because members debate much, much, much more than they blog and learn about each other. On other forums, I always VM constantly and stuff with everyone, especially teh chicks. Either way, I don't like how it is here, but, as long as we are civilized...

I don't know....I find out a lot about people from debates....and whether I agree/disagree has no bearing on how I feel about the individual.....how they present themselves does. For instance...I can't think of a single time we've agreed....but I have no ill feelings toward you. And I don't mind conversing with you.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]No it hasn't. It has it's own distinct groups that band together......but not one community feel.LJS9502_basic

I don't know....I find out a lot about people from debates....and whether I agree/disagree has no bearing on how I feel about the individual.....how they present themselves does. For instance...I can't think of a single time we've agreed....but I have no ill feelings toward you. And I don't mind conversing with you.

Yeah, 'tis true that opinions usually say something about the person or the experiences he had, I suppose that bears merit/entertainment somehow. The feeling is mutual, too.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.

Aww... wasn't around here for the better days. By nothing original, do you mean thread creativity or do you have something else in mind?
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

Yes, I would say OT has its own culture, to a certain degree.

We're all gamers. Most of the regulars can recall any "that one time". There are jokes that only make sense in the context of OT.

Etc.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.ExoticAnimal
Aww... wasn't around here for the better days. By nothing original, do you mean thread creativity or do you have something else in mind?

Lack of all the gentlemen that made OT < 2008 such a fine place, like freekyzeeky or zap-o-matic

KittyKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 KittyKat
Member since 2002 • 26381 Posts
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.

I think it was pretty decent around 2002-2004... give or take. I think I left as things were just going downhill which was around the time they stopped using the lithium boards.
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

Maybe... though I have seen a lot of stupidity here.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts
[QUOTE="Fundai"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

parkurtommo

Oh yes problem is you aren't the cool type of hipster you're a hipster among hipsters, making you a non-hipster, meaning you are not a hipster.

Makes sense
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

But...Does it have da foliage?

(Am I doing this right?)

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#27 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Maybe... though I have seen a lot of stupidity here.

lancea34

That's the culture, man.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Like any online community that's been around for a decade OT does have a history.

Dunno about culture though, I don't think OT has achieved anything different from any other place where realitive strangers hang out day to day (like an office), a few shared in-jokes and some familiarity still doesn't mean that OT has a unique quality that sets it apart from anything else in the world.

'An internet discussion forum' is the cultural make-up of OT, not OT itself.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

No it hasn't. It has it's own distinct groups that band together......but not one community feel.LJS9502_basic

Doesn't this pretty much apply to anywhere tho?

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts

I agree. The community as a whole is in a downward spiral in terms of quality...
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
If someone isn't complaining about something. It's not OT. That's about as simple and truthful as it gets.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.MAILER_DAEMON

I agree 100%.
I think that causes the vast majority of issues on here. If a person teases their brother, friend, etc and gets no reaction or they laugh with them, they will usually stop.
It is when people blow something small out of proportion, that it continues/escalates

If I may ask you a question though:
Would you not say you are guilty of that as well (getting upset over some small things that have happened here...given your reposes here and on MSN)

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

If I had to describe the culture of OT I would use the words passive aggressive, paranoid, narcissistic, and delusional.

tl;dr

my kind of place

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

If I had to describe the culture of OT I would use the words passive aggressive, paranoid, narcissistic, and delusional.

tl;dr

my kind of place

-Sun_Tzu-

In other words, like the real world. LOL.

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts
not really.
TChaivong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 TChaivong
Member since 2004 • 3693 Posts

OT is where all the "cool" nerds go

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I think people take this place very, VERY seriously. So not really deep, just too emotionally involved.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Agreed. The only time OT even came close to banding together as a community was when people thought Spazz and Russ had been banned. Even then there was a clique of detractors.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="topsemag55"] Even then there was a clique of detractors.

what made the detractors a clique? Note that individuals who just happen to share an opinion are not a clique
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="topsemag55"] Even then there was a clique of detractors.rawsavon
what made the detractors a clique? Note that individuals who just happen to share an opinion are not a clique

The only cliques I can think orf are metalheads and rap enthusiasts.

At least those are the only cliques that exist around here. The rest are political parties or religions.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I don't really see the metalheads and rap fans as a clique. I think they are people that just happen to share common tastes.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 THE_DRUGGIE

I don't really see the metalheads and rap fans as a clique. I think they are people that just happen to share common tastes.

GreySeal9

I guess it's more of an association with what I've seen in real life, now that you mention it.

There don't seem to be any true cliques here, considering that.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
Those Jedi Council union fellas sure were a clique.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#44 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Those Jedi Council union fellas sure were a clique.Baconbits2004
a 2 person clique?
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Baconbits2004

a 2 person clique? Allicrombie

Yeah, president and vice president. =[

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ExoticAnimal

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"] a 2 person clique? Baconbits2004

Yeah, president and vice president. =[

Are you talking about OmegaAxel and UltraZero (think those were the names)?
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Baconbits2004

Are you talking about OmegaAxel and UltraZero (think those were the names)?ExoticAnimal

Perhaps.

Were you 3 close?

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ExoticAnimal

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]Are you talking about OmegaAxel and UltraZero (think those were the names)?Baconbits2004

Perhaps.

Were you 3 close?

Nah, never cared for those two. I don't really participate in the Unions at all.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Baconbits2004

Nah, never cared for those two. I don't really participate in the Unions at all.ExoticAnimal

In that case I was talking about someone else then.

The_Druggie and Mailer, probably.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I think the _basics need their own union, but the membership keeps dwindling. :(