Would you say OT has developed a deep culture?

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

I think the _basics need their own union, but the membership keeps dwindling. :(Travo_basic

Random question... I know the whole Basic suffix came from people who registered for a free account 'n all.
But does this mean somewhere there are a few _Premium members?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#52 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]Nah, never cared for those two. I don't really participate in the Unions at all.Baconbits2004

In that case I was talking about someone else then.

The_Druggie and Mailer, probably.

You mean the all caps username clique?

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I don't think they were given a name on the end since they were paid accounts. Just us lowly users who refused to pay.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Baconbits2004

You mean the all caps username clique?

THE_DRUGGIE

Perhaps that's what I'm confusing it with.

My memory's a little hazy, I was thinking someone said something about you two taking a trip to the mushroom kingdom together or something?

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Baconbits2004
I don't think they were given a name on the end since they were paid accounts. Just us lowly users who refused to pay.Travo_basic
Sad. =[ Would make for a nice alt none the less.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#56 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Not entirely. YOu just have to hate mainstream music, love metal music, and be atheist and you'll fit right in here

CaptainAhab13

I would argue that the "traits" you just posted to "fit right in" could be considered cultural aspects: a hate of mainstream music, a deep adoration of metal, and being atheist. Musical and religious aspects of a culture.

Yeah I don't really agree with that statement, except for the atheist part. Not that I like mainstream music, but there are plenty of people on here that do. And to be honest, most of it is mainstream metal...

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#57 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.

Aww... wasn't around here for the better days. By nothing original, do you mean thread creativity or do you have something else in mind?

I think its just that overall we don't really have welcoming threads and people tend to post the same things over and over again about girls. I'd love some sort of sticky for relationship topics so we don't have to stare at 10 hot topics about relationships. What would be interesting is if people posted about interesting things they learned in a day or post an article about something you wouldn't normally see. A photoshop this thread would also be good sometimes.
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"] a 2 person clique? ExoticAnimal

Yeah, president and vice president. =[

Are you talking about OmegaAxel and UltraZero (think those were the names)?

I wonder if those 2 will get unbanned :o

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Hmmm, true. I agree. I don't get the "touch her shoulder" reference though. :?CaptainAhab13
That's about the extent of OT's "culture" - attempts at "memes" which pale in comparison to true internet memes. Even in context "touch her shoulder" and "Star Crystal/Alien" aren't funny.

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

I agree, OT is pretty snobbish, narrow minded and butthurt 24/7.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Baconbits2004

I wonder if those 2 will get unbanned :oColin1192

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaQpyU_QiM

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I think we have a subculture, in a loose sense. People have already done a good job of pointing out the little things that differentiate OT from other boards and forums.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DigitalExile

I think we have a subculture, in a loose sense. People have already done a good job of pointing out the little things that differentiate OT from other boards and forums.Elraptor
Isn't that largely due to the subject matter of the boards? Many of the individual game boards have their own "cultures" - but I wouldn't call any of the culture here "deep".

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
I'd say that OT has more of a broad culture than a deep one
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.rawsavon

I agree 100%.
I think that causes the vast majority of issues on here. If a person teases their brother, friend, etc and gets no reaction or they laugh with them, they will usually stop.
It is when people blow something small out of proportion, that it continues/escalates

If I may ask you a question though:
Would you not say you are guilty of that as well (getting upset over some small things that have happened here...given your reposes here and on MSN)

MSN? Explain.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

i like to imagine OT as a room full of curly haired hipsters

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I'd say OT's culture over the last 2-3 years has been overall pathetic despite some good people here and there. Nothing original, just memes taken from the cesspool, people getting angry over something pointless, and people feeling that the world revolves around them. In other words, it's gone from being a neat but flawed place to being like most other spots on the web.MAILER_DAEMON

I agree 100%.
I think that causes the vast majority of issues on here. If a person teases their brother, friend, etc and gets no reaction or they laugh with them, they will usually stop.
It is when people blow something small out of proportion, that it continues/escalates

Would you not say you are guilty of that as well (getting upset over some small things that have happened here...given your reposes here and on MSN)

MSN? Explain.

Do you really want me to talk openly about this?
I will. I just want to make sure is all

...and just an fyi, I have no interest in talking about this over a pm (in case that crossed your mind. I tried to talk to you before outside of the main pages once before.)

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I'd say that OT has more of a broad culture than a deep onexaos
Would you say that OT is loose?
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

I agree 100%.

rawsavon

MSN? Explain.

...and just an fyi, I have no interest in talking about this over a pm (in case that crossed your mind. I tried to talk to you before outside of the main pages once before.)

I don't recall ever talking to you over MSN, since I don't give that out to people the way I do my AIM, so I can only take this as a threat. What I don't understand is why you're suddenly confronting me about something that I don't know exists.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 scorch-62
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]Do you really want me to talk openly about this? I will. I just want to make sure is all ...and just an fyi, I have no interest in talking about this over a pm (in case that crossed your mind. I tried to talk to you before outside of the main pages once before.)

I don't recall ever talking to you over MSN, since I don't give that out to people the way I do my AIM, so I can only take this as a threat. What I don't understand is why you're suddenly confronting me about something that I don't know exists.

How on earth could that ever be considered a threat? :?
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Baconbits2004

Can I have your AIM?

The only other person I have on there is Jandurin, do you know how depressing that is?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]MSN? Explain.

MAILER_DAEMON

I don't recall ever talking to you over MSN, since I don't give that out to people like I do my AIM, so I can only take this as a threat. What I don't understand is why you're suddenly confronting me about something that I don't know exists.

I was not 'confronting' you :?
...unless you associate confronting with agreeing with your general principle but questioning your specific actions.

I guess I will have to be more clear/less vague.
-You took some glamor shot type ninja pics of you with a sword
-people got a hold of them and posted them here in a meme fashion
-you blew up

If you had reacted differently (laughed about it and blew them off) instead of flipping out, it would have stopped
-this is similar to what you posted about 'not getting angry over pointless stuff'

But you did not follow your own advice
-this is what I questioned you on ITT
-as a result, people know it bothers you and seek to continue for that very reason...you made a situation (that was not your fault, unless you want to call those pics a crime >_>) even worse

In regards to MSN,
I was talking to sunnsha on MSN shortly after these events
She mentioned talking to you at the same time
I asked to speak to you (as you had blown up at me in another thread here on GS about this whole ordeal when I told you something similar about not overreacting).
You refused to speak to me outside the walls/protection of GS

...and now here we are

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 rawsavon
[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]Do you really want me to talk openly about this? I will. I just want to make sure is all ...and just an fyi, I have no interest in talking about this over a pm (in case that crossed your mind. I tried to talk to you before outside of the main pages once before.)

How on earth could that ever be considered a threat? :?

I have no idea how any of that was at all threatening either :? I asked if he really wanted me to talk about something that had bothered him...I was seeking his 'okay' In other words, I was trying to be nice
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
And now here we are....:(
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

rawsavon

I don't recall ever talking to you over MSN, since I don't give that out to people like I do my AIM, so I can only take this as a threat. What I don't understand is why you're suddenly confronting me about something that I don't know exists.

...unless you associate confronting with agreeing with your general principle but questioning your specific actions.

-you blew up

If you had reacted differently (laughed about it and blew them off) instead of flipping out, it would have stopped
-this is similar to what you posted about 'not getting angry over pointless stuff'

-as a result, people know it bothers you and seek to continue for that very reason...you made a situation (that was not your fault, unless you want to call those pics a crime >_>) even worse

In regards to MSN,
I asked to speak to you (as you had blown up at me in another thread here on GS about this whole ordeal when I told you something similar about not overreacting).

...and now here we are

I remember those, and the fact that you take such interest in psychoanalyzing me says volumes. Protection? Walls? I just don't care to talk to you is all. Never have. ;P

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 scorch-62
And now here we are....:(LJS9502_basic
Yes, here we are having a civil discussion.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 MAILER_DAEMON
And now here we are....:(LJS9502_basic
And here... we... go!
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]And now here we are....:(MAILER_DAEMON
And here... we... go!

I'm not going anywhere. Just enjoyed a semi hot tea.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I don't recall ever talking to you over MSN, since I don't give that out to people like I do my AIM, so I can only take this as a threat. What I don't understand is why you're suddenly confronting me about something that I don't know exists.

MAILER_DAEMON

-you blew up

In regards to MSN,

...and now here we are

I remember those, and the fact that you take such interest in psychoanalyzing me says volumes. Protection? Walls? I just don't care to talk to you is all. Never have. ;P

No analysis was necessary.
I told you that if you acted that way, the pics would continue.
Not as any 'threat'...I was trying to be nice and explain human behavior.

You blew up at me...modded me...then sent a pm apologizing

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DigitalExile

-you blew up

In regards to MSN,

...and now here we are

rawsavon

I'm so glad I only know a few people from GS outside of GS and that all my pictures are sexy as ****.

[spoiler] Extreme sarcasm on the "sexy" part :P [/spoiler]

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Baconbits2004

Can I have your AIM?

The only other person I have on there is Jandurin, do you know how depressing that is?

Baconbits2004

This was aimed at MAILER I'm not sure if it was over looked because I didn't quote him.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

Can I have your AIM?

Baconbits2004

This was aimed at MAILER I'm not sure if it was over looked because I didn't quote him.

Yeah....seemed obvious who it was toward.:P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] I was not 'confronting' you :?

-you blew up

In regards to MSN,

...and now here we are

rawsavon

This is more juicy than a rare steak!

[spoiler] To avoid horrible misunderstandings.... I like my steak medium well done. [/spoiler]

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#84 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

Can I have your AIM?

Baconbits2004

You're trying too hard, Bacon.:P
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 rawsavon

This is more juicy than a rare steak!

Teenaged

Not really.
It was actually a 'rare' case of me trying to be nice.

I felt sorry for him/took pity on him. It was obvious he did not know how to handle the situation/had not been exposed to that growing up AND that those pics bothered him a great deal.

...i tried to reason with him.
But he blew up and used his mod powers against me. So lesson learned on my end

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Baconbits2004

Yeah....seemed obvious who it was toward.:PLJS9502_basic

I just wanted to make sure.

Sometimes people skim through, and overlook things that aren't directly related to them. :{

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

Can I have your AIM?

topsemag55

He is definitely not trying hard to level up, so that's something. :P

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] I was not 'confronting' you :?

-you blew up

In regards to MSN,

...and now here we are

rawsavon

I never took what you said about the pics as a threat, but assume as you wish. What I'm saying is that you seem to take great interest in me and nitpicking everything I say and do; you're neither the first nor the last to do so here or otherwise. You're not my friend, I have no reason to trust you, so it's only natural that I would also assume the worst. We both assume, it's only human nature when you know the idea or public persona rather than the person. Still, there's some amusement to be had in all of this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yeah....seemed obvious who it was toward.:PBaconbits2004

I just wanted to make sure.

Sometimes people skim through, and overlook things that aren't directly related to them. :{

Depends on the length of post and level of boredom methinks.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="Baconbits2004"] This was aimed at MAILER I'm not sure if it was over looked because I didn't quote him.

Teenaged

That isn't difficult, just a question of link-clicking and mathematics.:)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"] You're trying too hard, Bacon.:Ptopsemag55

I don't think that was what he meant.....I could be wrong but I think it was more about point loss.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

It's a fairly transient culture bar a handful of long termers.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I remember those, and the fact that you take such interest in psychoanalyzing me says volumes. Protection? Walls? I just don't care to talk to you is all. Never have. ;P

Teenaged

This is more juicy than a rare steak![spoiler] To avoid horrible misunderstandings.... I like my steak medium well done. [/spoiler]

Medium rare for me; I actually had the leftovers last night from a steak I got the other day. Sometimes I miss working at a steakhouse...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic

It's a fairly transient culture bar a handful of long termers.

poptart
Transients tramping on the lawn all the time....:x
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Teenaged

[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]He is definitely not trying hard to level up, so that's something. :P

LJS9502_basic

I don't think that was what he meant.....I could be wrong but I think it was more about point loss.

Baconbits got a point loss?

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Baconbits2004

Depends on the length of post and level of boredom methinks.LJS9502_basic

Well he does seem quite preoccupied atm. :O

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 topsemag55
[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]He is definitely not trying hard to level up, so that's something. :PLJS9502_basic

Ah, I thought he was ribbing me about gaining 43 levels in 2 years.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="topsemag55"] That isn't difficult, just a question of link-clicking and mathematics.:)Teenaged

Uh...that was related to your comment about not caring about leveling up.:P
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Baconbits2004

Teenaged

Not since 2009. =]

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I don't think that was what he meant.....I could be wrong but I think it was more about point loss.LJS9502_basic

Uh...that was related to your comment about not caring about leveling up.:P

Oh good Lord, I can't keep up with all the sub rosa subtext going on