Why Americans Hate RAP / HIP HOP music ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JJGT500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 JJGT500
Member since 2011 • 217 Posts

I juts don't like it based on what I hear from it. It seems the only time I hear it is when old cars pass by with their windows rattling. What I do hear from those songs are just cussing and funky slang. I didn't say I hate it, but from what I hear I just don't like it. :(Mr_Cumberdale

cussing, sex, drugs, guns,murder, cars,women, jewelryand money.Majority of rap songsinclude a reference to these things, but there are some that don't.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]I juts don't like it based on what I hear from it. It seems the only time I hear it is when old cars pass by with their windows rattling. What I do hear from those songs are just cussing and funky slang. I didn't say I hate it, but from what I hear I just don't like it. :(JJGT500

cussing, sex, drugs, guns,murder, cars,women, jewelryand money.Majority of rap songsinclude a reference to these things, but there are some that don't.

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. This is nothing new.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]I juts don't like it based on what I hear from it. It seems the only time I hear it is when old cars pass by with their windows rattling. What I do hear from those songs are just cussing and funky slang. I didn't say I hate it, but from what I hear I just don't like it. :(JJGT500

I keep hearing the 'majority' statement and, yet, never have anyone somehow prove that over 51% of the music can be characterized as this.
cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

[QUOTE="emb4"][QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

It did ruin America's Pop Culture.

Strormbringer

it changed Americas culture in the same way jazz and rock and roll did

Changed for the worse. Gang Warfare,Gang Territory and Graffiti is not cool.

Yeah.... gangs started because of rap, that's true can't argue you that!!!!

JJGT500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 JJGT500

[QUOTE="JJGT500"]

[QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]I juts don't like it based on what I hear from it. It seems the only time I hear it is when old cars pass by with their windows rattling. What I do hear from those songs are just cussing and funky slang. I didn't say I hate it, but from what I hear I just don't like it. :(bigdcstile

I keep hearing the 'majority' statement and, yet, never have anyone somehow prove that over 51% of the music can be characterized as this.

If you've listened to alot of rap songs you would know what "majority" means.

Sapients_Net

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Sapients_Net
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

[QUOTE="bigdcstile"][QUOTE="JJGT500"]

JJGT500

Any genre can be demeaned with a majority statement.

certifieddata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#158 certifieddata
Member since 2007 • 46096 Posts

I don't hate it, but it's just not my kind of music. If I hear it playing in the background then that's fine, but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to look up/find.

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 bigdcstile

JJGT500

I have. Got over 716 artists on my playlists and, so far, only about 12% at most have that as the sole subject in their lyrics. Now how many artists have -you- actually listened to?
JJGT500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 JJGT500

[QUOTE="JJGT500"]

[QUOTE="bigdcstile"] I keep hearing the 'majority' statement and, yet, never have anyone somehow prove that over 51% of the music can be characterized as this.bigdcstile

I have. Got over 716 artists on my playlists and, so far, only about 12% at most have that as the sole subject in their lyrics. Now how many artists have -you- actually listened to?

716 rap artists and only 12% have any vulgar language or reference to the things i listed? That's very hard to believe

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I don't think they do.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 bigdcstile

JJGT500

716 rap artists and only 12% have any vulgar language or reference to the things i listed? That's very hard to believe

Your tone just proves how little you know of the genre and shows how much faith you have placed in believing a none too true stereotype.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#163 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

I'm European and I hate Hip Hop/Rap too.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Pop culture is perfectly capable of ruining itself on it's own.
Sapients_Net

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Sapients_Net
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

It is just dumb, low grade music, or whatever you want to call it. Strictly for low IQ or under developed minds.

Videodogg

I find it amusing that the most ridiculous poster so far is ridiculing the intelligence of those that like rap/hip hop.

Generalisations for the lose.

nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

It is just dumb, low grade music, or whatever you want to call it. Strictly for low IQ or under developed minds.

Videodogg

This is the dumbest response yet. So have you ever listened to a rap song and heard how complex and creative the lyrics are. It's not good to stereotype a whole genre because of a minority or simply because you don't like it.
I don't understand why when people dislike rap they make it seem as if it's like a terrible evil that needs to be contained and destroyed. Really pisses me off.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#168 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Plenty of Americans like hip hop/rap whilst plenty don't, it's just a difference of opinion.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 bigdcstile

Nothing but cussing, drugs, no talent hacks...I mean, it doesn't even need to be considered musicThey have no clue what real music isIt's all just clicks and whistles....

Yeah. :roll:

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I don't understand why when people dislike rap they make it seem as if it's like a terrible evil that needs to be contained and destroyed. Really pisses me off.

nickz_fpk

QFT.

I don't get it. With very few exceptions I don't like metal but I realize it just isn't for me. I'm not going to try to convince the people who like it that it sucks even though I don't really know much about the genre. Yet that's exactly what happens in these threads - the people who say rap's "ghetto garbage" and takes no talent have proven over and over again that they don't really know anything about the genre outside of hearing a Waka Flocka Flame song on the radio.

gamergotgame90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 gamergotgame90
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts
I don't hate all hip hop music just the stupid songs which there are many of.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 bigdcstile
It's the same kind of thing with, not the dislike, but the outright hatred of Bieber and the Jonas Bros. and what have you: Just immature posturing. At least on this site.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts
Woah what a generalization. Hip Hop has a large segment of fans in the US. That doesn't mean everyone has to like it. We all get to pick our own music.
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

It's a matter of taste as far as the actual music goes. I don't particularly like it at all, but the music itself doesn't bother me.

What does bug me a little, is that literally 100 percent of the time when I'm stuck in traffic next to some clown who is BLASTING his music to the point that the bumpers are practically falling off his cruddy car, it's Rap or Hip-Hop. Same goes for when it's after 2am and there is a party going on in my neighborhood and some people don't care that some of their neighbors have work the next day so they BLAST their music.... without fail it's Rap or Hip-Hop. I don't blame the music, I blame the people, but I do wonder about that correlation sometimes.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Like 90 percent of Americans like it. It was funny, I went to prom last week and me and my date were like the only people that weren't dancing to it. We jumped in for the one rave song they played though... in short, prom is lame because of the music :P

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#176 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

they clearly don't all hate it.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

I'm pretty sure Hip-Hop/Rap is still very huge in the States and countries I have personally visited also get in on our Hip-Hop/Rap scene and then start producing their own. I just think on these boards people that enjoy hip-hop are the minority and get railed on for now reason.

I mean I love hip-hop but I don't snoop around in the metal or rock threads bashing people or trying to convince them they are tards and need to listen to something else. Seriously people on here need to get get off their high horse around here and just let people listen to what they like.

With-Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 With-Hatred
Member since 2009 • 926 Posts

They're about pretty much about nothing but sex and violence, and they promote violence in people who listen.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I don't think it defines America............that being said last I checked it was very popular here in America.

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

ActuallyI see most people blame pop for ruining rap

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#181 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts
What? So people from other countries dont hate hip hop/rap?
anihimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 anihimz
Member since 2010 • 14242 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I think you mean "Wow that was an accurate description of rap" Right?

no i mean that was a really dumb and ignorant one

Find me a rap where. 1.) the Beat isn't stolen from another song.

It's called sampling, Einstein
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Im american and I dont hate rap/Hip-hop. I like it

anihimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 anihimz
Member since 2010 • 14242 Posts
Keep in mind that it's not just some Americans that hate on hip-hop, here in Canada I rarely see any hip-hop listeners /foreveralone
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#185 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

You obviously havent been to my school. Thats all the kids do, rapping. Or I should say trying to rap, man they suck.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#186 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

What? So people from other countries dont hate hip hop/rap?00-Riddick-00

They dont hate rap, they DESPISE it:twisted::lol:

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#187 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

I don't like most rap. I like Hip Hop. Example, I dislike Waka Flaka, but I like Lupe Fiasco. Those can never be considered to be the same genre. Rap is something you do. Hip Hop is a culture.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

Changed for the worse. Gang Warfare,Gang Territory and Graffiti is not cool.

Strormbringer

They tryin to blame this rap **** for all of our ills Like I can stick you up with a mic Like I can rape you with a verse or use a verb as a knife Like before Kool Herc, everything was alright Like y'all wasn't callin black women **** befo' "Rappers Delight"

The Cure is better than rap. Simple.

congrats you missed the point of the post
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#190 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

I think rap is dumb music. I'm not calling people who like rap dumb, so don't get hysterical here. When you peel back the layers of mainstream/club rap music, there is very little substance to it. Typically this music contains shallow lyrics, sampled sounds from existing familiar songs, and a lot of repetition. I know dumb and simple things have their own place and time, but I've never been able to embrace them in the music I listen to.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Not American, still dislike.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

It's a matter of taste as far as the actual music goes. I don't particularly like it at all, but the music itself doesn't bother me.

What does bug me a little, is that literally 100 percent of the time when I'm stuck in traffic next to some clown who is BLASTING his music to the point that the bumpers are practically falling off his cruddy car, it's Rap or Hip-Hop. Same goes for when it's after 2am and there is a party going on in my neighborhood and some people don't care that some of their neighbors have work the next day so they BLAST their music.... without fail it's Rap or Hip-Hop. I don't blame the music, I blame the people, but I do wonder about that correlation sometimes.

YellowOneKinobi

Why don't you say what you really mean instead of beating around the bus? What are you trying to say about the "people". You do realize that not everybody that listens to hip hop in the same, right? You do realize that rock fans blast their music too, right?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 GreySeal9

I think rap is dumb music. I'm not calling people who like rap dumb, so don't get hysterical here. When you peel back the layers of mainstream/club rap music, there is very little substance to it. Typically this music contains shallow lyrics, sampled sounds from existing familiar songs, and a lot of repetition. I know dumb and simple things have their own place and time, but I've never been able to embrace them in the music I listen to.

Darthmatt

People in this thread have posted tons of examples that don't have samples, have substantial lyrics, etc.

If you think rap is dumb music, it's not likely that you've listened to enough to make any valid statement about what is "typical" of rap. I mean, you do realize that the crap that's on the radio right now is not neccesarily the majority of rap music overall, right?

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

GreySeal9

Why don't you say what you really mean instead of beating around the bus? What are you trying to say about the "people". You do realize that not everybody that listens to hip hop in the same, right? You do realize that rock fans blast their music too, right?

Did you read my post? Did I say that sometimes I come across rock and roll blasing at unbearable levels? No, I said that literally 100% of the time the people I come across it is, without fail, rap/hip-hop music. If you're getting ready to call me a racist or something, you are WAY off because the race of the people I'm referring to are from all over the spectrum. If you think I'm embellishing, that's fine with me, but it doesn't change my experiences.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

YellowOneKinobi

Did you read my post? Did I say that sometimes I come across rock and roll blasing at unbearable levels? No, I said that literally 100% of the time the people I come across it is, without fail, rap/hip-hop music. If you're getting ready to call me a racist or something, you are WAY off because the race of the people I'm referring to are from all over the spectrum. If you think I'm embellishing, that's fine with me, but it doesn't change my experiences.

Who cares if in 100% of your experiences it's hip hop music. That doesn't change the FACT that people that listen to rock blast their music too.

I didn't say anything about race. I'm asking you: what are you trying to say about people that listen to hip hop?Notice that I didn't say "what are you trying to say about black people?" Because if I wanted to say that, I would say that.

So again, what are you trying to say about people that listen to hip hop?

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Who cares if in 100% of your experiences it's hip hop music. That doesn't change the FACT that people that listen to rock blast their music too.

I didn't say anything about race. I'm asking you: what are you trying to say about people that listen to hip hop?Notice that I didn't say "what are you trying to say about black people?" Because if I wanted to say that, I would say that.

I'd say that, IN MY EXPERIENCES, I've found that people who listen to hip-hop seem to be pretty self involved, to the point where they couldn't care less if they are bothering the hell out of everyone else. Does that mean that everyone that listens to hip-hop is like that, I wouldn't think so. That also doesn't mean that the only people that act rude are rap/hip-hop fans. I was just stating what I HAVE SEEN. Take from that whatever you would like.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] Did you read my post? Did I say that sometimes I come across rock and roll blasing at unbearable levels? No, I said that literally 100% of the time the people I come across it is, without fail, rap/hip-hop music. If you're getting ready to call me a racist or something, you are WAY off because the race of the people I'm referring to are from all over the spectrum. If you think I'm embellishing, that's fine with me, but it doesn't change my experiences.

YellowOneKinobi

I'd say that, IN MY EXPERIENCES, I've found that people who listen to hip-hop seem to be pretty self involved, to the point where they couldn't care less if they are bothering the hell out of everyone else. Does that mean that everyone that listens to hip-hop is like that, I wouldn't think so. That also doesn't mean that the only people that act rude are rap/hip-hop fans. I was just stating what I HAVE SEEN. Take from that whatever you would like.

And why do you think it makes sense to draw this conclusion from a relatively small amount of people versus millions? Why even go there?

Also, you once made a thread in which you tried to use a fight at a hip hop awards events to generalize hip hop listeners. Remember, you said, "This is not surprising?" or something like that.

Your comments in this thread remind me of that.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

And why do you think it makes sense to draw this conclusion from a relatively small amount of people versus millions? Why even go there?

Also, you once made a thread in which you tried to use a fight at a hip hop awards events to generalize hip hop listeners. Remember, you said, "This is not surprising?" or something like that.

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, that, this.................... as it pertains to this thread..... why do I not like hip-hop/rap...... because this is what I think of.

Am I saying it should be banned? Nope. I actually qualified in my original post by saying that whether or not music is "good" is a matter of taste. But I PERSONALLY don't like hip-hop because all of the above comes to mind. Or am I not allowed to have an opinion based on my own observations?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] I'd say that, IN MY EXPERIENCES, I've found that people who listen to hip-hop seem to be pretty self involved, to the point where they couldn't care less if they are bothering the hell out of everyone else. Does that mean that everyone that listens to hip-hop is like that, I wouldn't think so. That also doesn't mean that the only people that act rude are rap/hip-hop fans. I was just stating what I HAVE SEEN. Take from that whatever you would like.

YellowOneKinobi

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, that, this.................... as it pertains to this thread..... why do I not like hip-hop/rap...... because this is what I think of.

Am I saying it should be banned? Nope. I actually qualified in my original post by saying that whether or not music is "good" is a matter of taste. But I PERSONALLY don't like hip-hop because all of the above comes to mind. Or am I not allowed to have an opinion based on my own observations?

When did I accuse you of wanting it banned?

Your own observations are hardly a good basis for generalizations on hip hop fans. Using that fight as some kind of basis for a generalization was especially ridiculous as that kind of thing usually doesn't take place at most hip hop award shows and fights have happened in several different venues, not just hip ho venues. It was an unfair generalizaation and I don't know why you insist on trying to justify it.

Also, you'd probably bristle if I said that based on my own experiences, conservatives tend to be racist just because I observed some conservative racists.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#200 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthmatt"]

GreySeal9

People in this thread have posted tons of examples that don't have samples, have substantial lyrics, etc.

If you think rap is dumb music, it's not likely that you've listened to enough to make any valid statement about what is "typical" of rap. I mean, you do realize that the crap that's on the radio right now is not neccesarily the majority of rap music overall, right?

I'm over 30 and I live five miles north of Detroit, I went to college in the D. I had an old friend who was deep into the underground scene and I've been to a few shows. I know the difference between music with substance, and music without. I made the distinction of mainstream/club rap by putting it into the dumb category. You can't call a lemon an orange just because they're both fruit. On the contrary there are un-told numbers of underground hip hop artists who still produce thought provoking and original music. Those artists which can justify their music beyond trying to sell hits and get radio/video play. This is the difference between art, and product. To be fair, I would include anything produced by Kid Rock and NicleBack in the same category as "dumb" music.