Why Americans Hate RAP / HIP HOP music ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#101 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I'm ignoring them because listening to 40 different songs that are ~3-4 minutes each takes awhile. Every time i go "yeah, the background is from this other song" someone posts another 2-3 links. I'm not wrong, you just cant see there's no talent in rapping over someone else's song.Nibroc420

You're dead wrong because most of the links posted DID NOT steal anyone else's music. The guy you quoted just happened to post songs that took from others. You were shown several links that didn't but you didn't reply to them because they destroyed your laughable argument.

I'm not going to sit here and listen to terribad rap for 30-40 minutes, while everyone posts new "proof" that while the first 10-15 songs were unoriginal, these next ones surely are!

No need to get super defensive. Face it, most rappers steal beats, and then rhyme over it with lyrics involving drugs,money,hoes,violence, and they usually incorperate swearing cause it makes them feel cooler.

It has nothing to do with being defensive about rap. I'm treating you like I'd treat anyone who basks in their own ignorance.

If you're not willing to listen to the examples, then how is your argument even slightly valid? How are you better than a person who refuses to look at evidence in a political debate?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"] What musical genres are you in to by the way?Ravensmash

I enjoy music that is original and doesn't involve taking someone else's work. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmzHRGoKca0

But this is taking someone else's work and making something original from it ;)

I'ma take the mona lisa, and draw a mustache on it. Then It will be a totally original work of art.:roll:

PS. the music in your link sounded terrible anywho.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I'm sorry, he can actually play notes. Where as the majority of rappers just go "oo i link that, steal it" He may not be good, but at least he's not claiming greatness whilst stealing someone else's work.Nibroc420

How is it theft if those samples are credited to their respected authors?

Music has 2 parts to it, the lyrics, and the instrumental. 99% of rappers steal the instrumental, and then just rhyme about drugs and hoes. How is that not stealing?

Why don't you prove it?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

I enjoy music that is original and doesn't involve taking someone else's work. ;)Ravensmash

Awesome example, that's one of my favorite songs ever.

It also brings up a good point - good hip-hop producers don't just take the music from one song and use it unaltered for the beat of their song. They change it up or add/subtract things to it.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I enjoy music that is original and doesn't involve taking someone else's work. ;)Nibroc420

I'ma take the mona lisa, and draw a mustache on it. Then It will be a totally original work of art.:roll:

That's in your opinion though ;) I'm sure I'd find certain artists/songs you like terrible too regardless of genre. About that song - it's made entirely of samples, so despite "stealing" other peoples work (which may originally be from rap/hip hop songs anyway...) he's made something unique that sounds incredibly different. ...not really the same as drawing on a painting is it?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 JML897

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I enjoy music that is original and doesn't involve taking someone else's work. ;)Nibroc420

You're entitled to your opinion but just know that you're in the REALLY small minority when it comes to that song/album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endtroducing.....#Legacy

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
OP is generalization at its worst...
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

You're dead wrong because most of the links posted DID NOT steal anyone else's music. The guy you quoted just happened to post songs that took from others. You were shown several links that didn't but you didn't reply to them because they destroyed your laughable argument.

GreySeal9

I'm not going to sit here and listen to terribad rap for 30-40 minutes, while everyone posts new "proof" that while the first 10-15 songs were unoriginal, these next ones surely are!

No need to get super defensive. Face it, most rappers steal beats, and then rhyme over it with lyrics involving drugs,money,hoes,violence, and they usually incorperate swearing cause it makes them feel cooler.

It has nothing to do with being defensive about rap. I'm treating you like I'd treat anyone who basks in their own ignorance.

If you're not willing to listen to the examples, then how is your argument even slightly valid? How are you better than a person who refuses to look at evidence in a political debate?

I can only spend so much time listening to bad music ok?

Someone posts 5 links, at ~3 minutes each, thats 15 minutes. I get into the second song and suddently "zomg you're ignoring my link" I post a reply, stating whats wrong with the rap in the links, and why it's not original. By the time i finish this, there's 2-3 posts claiming i'm ignoring it, and another 6 or so links that people claim "well, if that link wasn't original, try this." We start getting into songs that are ~10 minutes long, and sound absolutely horrid.

I'm not going to listen to every link posted in here and make paragraph length rebuttles to all of them. It would take a couple hours, and i'd have to force myself to endure terrible music.

I listened to SOME of the examples through their entirety, and i commented on them. However the 2-3 songs out of thousands dont change the fact that the majority of rappers out there,

1.) can't play any instrument, except maybe the spoons.

2.) steal tracks from others, so they have something to sing over (the instruments/beat is half the song)

3.) sing about Money, Drugs, Hoes, Cars, Cloths, and/or how terrible their lives are even though they make millions per album.

Sapients_Net

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Sapients_Net
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] takes while to listen to all 5 songs and comment on them all -.- Honestly i was but i accidently closed the tab on firefox :(

Anyways, "Just the two of us" by will smith, honesly? It's a freaking cover.

"Keep ya head up" The track they rapped over is far from original, ~3 minutes in the "ooh ooh child things are gonna get easier" kicks in, and i was like "yea, how's this original?"

I'm not going to go through EVERY link everyone's posted in this thread, explaining what's stolen and from where. If you can't hear it, enjoy ignorance, but dont claim that those artists are original.

Nibroc420

What musical genres are you in to by the way?

I enjoy music that is original and doesn't involve taking someone else's work. ;)

That's a nice genre.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 JML897

However the 2-3 songs out of thousands dont change the fact that the majority of rappers out there,

3.) sing about Money, Drugs, Hoes, Cars, Cloths, and how terrible their lives are even though they make millions per album.

Nibroc420

This guy just said the MAJORITY (!!) of rappers make millions per album...:?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#111 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Find me a rap where. 1.) the Beat isn't stolen from another song. 2.) there's little to no swearing (occasionally for effect is fine) 3.) They're not just rhyming about how hard their life is, and how much coke/how many "hoes" they have. 4.) it actually sounds good. Good luck.ZIVX

What about this song

Wow a Nujabes fan. I love his music.

It's a shame he died. :(

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"] What musical genres are you in to by the way?Sapients_Net

That's a nice genre.

he's scared to post anything because he knows its wack.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 GreySeal9

Someone posts 5 links, at ~3 minutes each, thats 15 minutes. I get into the second song and suddently "zomg you're ignoring my link" I post a reply, stating whats wrong with the rap in the links, and why it's not original. By the time i finish this, there's 2-3 posts claiming i'm ignoring it, and another 6 or so links that people claim "well, if that link wasn't original, try this." We start getting into songs that are ~10 minutes long, and sound absolutely horrid.Nibroc420

You don't have to listen to the whole thing. :roll: But that makes too much sense I guess.

I'm not going to listen to every link posted in here and make paragraph length rebuttles to all of them. It would take a couple hours, and i'd have to force myself to endure terrible music.Nibroc

How do you know the music is terrible if you don't listen to the links?

Do you realize that that statement doesn't make sense?

You replied to such a tiny amount of the examples. In fact, you made a special effort to reply to the ones that don't destroy your argument cause they borrowed ignoring the ones that don't borrow. That much is transparent.

I listened to SOME of the examples through their entirety, and i commented on them. However the 2-3 songs out of thousands dont change the fact that the majority of rappers out there,

2.) steal tracks from others, so they have something to sing over (the instruments/beat is half the song)

3.) sing about Money, Drugs, Hoes, Cars, Cloths, and how terrible their lives are even though they make millions per album.Nibroc

Why don't you prove your generaizations?

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#114 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

I don't hate the genre, I just hate almost all of the "artists" that I've heard within it. Movits! is probably the only exception, and they're more swing than hip hop imo.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

However the 2-3 songs out of thousands dont change the fact that the majority of rappers out there,

3.) sing about Money, Drugs, Hoes, Cars, Cloths, and how terrible their lives are even though they make millions per album.

JML897

This guy just said the MAJORITY (!!) of rappers make millions per album...:?

LOL.

And despite posting something so ridiculous, he'll still post with all the bravado in the world.

LittleToejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LittleToejam
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

Where did you even get this idea? Why do a lot of rap songs get hundreds of thousands to million views? And it's called sampling, not stealing

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Someone posts 5 links, at ~3 minutes each, thats 15 minutes. I get into the second song and suddently "zomg you're ignoring my link" I post a reply, stating whats wrong with the rap in the links, and why it's not original. By the time i finish this, there's 2-3 posts claiming i'm ignoring it, and another 6 or so links that people claim "well, if that link wasn't original, try this." We start getting into songs that are ~10 minutes long, and sound absolutely horrid.GreySeal9

You don't have to listen to the whole thing. :roll: But that makes too much sense I guess.

I'm not going to listen to every link posted in here and make paragraph length rebuttles to all of them. It would take a couple hours, and i'd have to force myself to endure terrible music.Nibroc

You replied to such a tiny amount of the examples. In fact, you made a special effort to reply to the ones that don't destroy your argument cause they borrowed ignoring the ones that don't borrow. That much is transparent.

3.) sing about Money, Drugs, Hoes, Cars, Cloths, and how terrible their lives are even though they make millions per album.Nibroc

Do you want proof the earth revolves around the sun, and is actually round as well?

:roll:

Seriously, it's not like i'm making outrageous statements. It's all pretty commonly known.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 GreySeal9

Do you want proof the earth revolves around the sun, and is actually round as well?

:roll:Nibroc420

Are you really comparing your ill-informed opinions to facts of nature? :?

I mean, you do realize the difference between opinions and facts, right?

Also, your assertion that the majority of rappers make millions is straight up wrong. So how is it a fact again? :?

Seriously, it's not like i'm making outrageous statements. It's all pretty commonly known.

Nibroc

If it's so commonly known, you shouldn't have any choosen backing those statements up.

So where's the proof?

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Ravensmash

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Someone posts 5 links, at ~3 minutes each, thats 15 minutes. I get into the second song and suddently "zomg you're ignoring my link" I post a reply, stating whats wrong with the rap in the links, and why it's not original. By the time i finish this, there's 2-3 posts claiming i'm ignoring it, and another 6 or so links that people claim "well, if that link wasn't original, try this." We start getting into songs that are ~10 minutes long, and sound absolutely horrid.Nibroc420

:roll:

1) That's false, many artists and producers can play instruments - I've heard music in the genre which consists of pianos, keyboards, synthesisers, guitars, singing. 2) Again, it's not "stealing" it's sampling, which as I showed you can create something entirely original. 3) That sounds like any musical genre. I don't criticise The Smiths or Nirvana just because their music was gloomy. So, about those outrageous statements?
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Seriously, it's not like i'm making outrageous statements. It's all pretty commonly known.Nibroc420
A commonly known stereotype, maybe. . .
BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 BURSTIIIFIRE
Member since 2007 • 2025 Posts

Anyone who hates this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGwsXEdlJqQ doesn't appreciate true music.

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 kussese

Anyone who hates this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGwsXEdlJqQ doesn't appreciate true music.

BURSTIIIFIRE
I made it halfway before the flute drove me insane.
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

kussese

Awwww damn, I love the flute!
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Americans don't hate rap and hip hop.. you have been on the internet too long buddy. Rap and hip hop artists are some of the most successful and famous in the US... how does that equate to hate?

emb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 emb4
Member since 2010 • 441 Posts

Alot of people hate it becuase they think rappers just steal music and talk over it, if it was that easy i would be rapping lol

sampling is an art, and not just hip hop uses samples

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Ravensmash

Alot of people hate it becuase they think rappers just steal music and talk over it, if it was that easy i would be rapping lol

emb4
Indeedy, as mentioned earlier - a great example of samples being used (or "stolen" :P) is Endtroducing by DJ Shadow. Listening through it again now, simply amazing.
kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 kussese
[QUOTE="kussese"][QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

stevenk4k5

Awwww damn, I love the flute!

I don't mean to hate - the lyrics aren't bad or anything. But a good lyricist isn't necessarily a good musician. I think that's the problem with a lot of rappers. They tend to work on their own, and it's rare to come by someone who has both musical and linguistic talent. What ends up happening is rappers try to fit all of the artistic merit of a song into the lyrics, and that alone seldom makes a great album. In an actual band, other members can pick up the slack. Robert Plant didn't write guitar solos. Jimmy Paige did. Four creative minds are better than one.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#128 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

RAP / HIP HOP music defines America and its a youth / style icon . Still i see lots of people from America hating on Rap / Hip Hop Music and blaming it for ruining POP culture .

indzman
thought it wsa the other way around
Strormbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Strormbringer
Member since 2011 • 263 Posts

It did ruin America's Pop Culture.

emb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 emb4
Member since 2010 • 441 Posts

Strormbringer
it changed Americas culture in the same way jazz and rock and roll did
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

[QUOTE="emb4"]

Ravensmash

Indeedy, as mentioned earlier - a great example of samples being used (or "stolen" :P) is Endtroducing by DJ Shadow. Listening through it again now, simply amazing.

Yeah. Midnight In A Perfect World is such an incredible song.

Mind as well bring out Girl Talk. Great stuff in the sampling department.

Strormbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Strormbringer

[QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

emb4

Changed for the worse. Gang Warfare,Gang Territory and Graffiti is not cool.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#133 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
I guess some people don't like urban youths complaining about being poor and living on welfare with a single parent. That said, I like Hip-Hop, there's much more of an emphasis on lyrics compared to other genres. It's far more descriptive compared to other songs, which might even be limited to four lines in traditional poetry style. Plus, how many poor urban youths can afford to play electric or bass?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#134 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

RAP / HIP HOP music defines America and its a youth / style icon . Still i see lots of people from America hating on Rap / Hip Hop Music and blaming it for ruining POP culture .

indzman

because they do not find it to their liking? Why does anyone dislike anything? There are hundreds of reasons.

And rap did not ruin pop culture. Pop culture ruined rap

BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 BURSTIIIFIRE

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

kussese

I guess that's a matter of taste, I personally love the flute in this track. Anyways here's another great track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfBOeu9m64E (no flute lol)...tell me what you think?

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

[QUOTE="emb4"][QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

Strormbringer

Yeah, and that all arose because of hip hop. It all doesn't exist outside of it, right?
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#137 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I think you mean "Wow that was an accurate description of rap" Right?

no i mean that was a really dumb and ignorant one

Find me a rap where. 1.) the Beat isn't stolen from another song. 2.) there's little to no swearing (occasionally for effect is fine) 3.) They're not just rhyming about how hard their life is, and how much coke/how many "hoes" they have. 4.) it actually sounds good. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFr0BsXrhzA This is good stuff!!!
Avatar image for Darkwanderer000
Darkwanderer000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Darkwanderer000
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts
Why are you specifying Americans? I'm not entirely certain that rap is well received outside of America...
BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 BURSTIIIFIRE

[QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

[QUOTE="emb4"] it changed Americas culture in the same way jazz and rock and roll didbigdcstile

Yeah, and that all arose because of hip hop. It all doesn't exist outside of it, right?

LMAO this is a perfect response to his argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeZhCt5PVA

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 bigdcstile
[QUOTE="Darkwanderer000"]Why are you specifying Americans? I'm not entirely certain that rap is well received outside of America...

I don't know about that. I can say that Hip Hop has a broad reach around the globe. Hell, there were people yelling RIP and bumping "California" by 'Pac when they heard he died when I was in Germany.
SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#141 SupraGT
Member since 2003 • 8150 Posts

[QUOTE="bigdcstile"][QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

BURSTIIIFIRE

LMAO this is a perfect response to his argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeZhCt5PVA

i can't believe I slept on that song back in the days until I saw the video now. It's toooo deep

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="emb4"][QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

Strormbringer

They tryin to blame this rap **** for all of our ills Like I can stick you up with a mic Like I can rape you with a verse or use a verb as a knife Like before Kool Herc, everything was alright Like y'all wasn't callin black women **** befo' "Rappers Delight"
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#143 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

Not all of rap/hip hop is bad. It's the mainstream that sucks. I like rap/hip hop but not as much as I used to. I prefer listening to the older stuff, you know before we had "stanky leg", waka flocka flame , and nem. But everyone has an opinion just like I don't care for metal because you're (from what I've heard anyways) hearing someone yell the whole time in the song. (in metal)I LIKE CHICKEN WINGS! I LIKE COLLARD GREENS! I LIKE PEELING THINGS! AND I LIKE DRINKING TEA! :P Everyone has different tastes.

Strormbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Strormbringer

[QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

[QUOTE="emb4"] it changed Americas culture in the same way jazz and rock and roll didmems_1224

They tryin to blame this rap **** for all of our ills Like I can stick you up with a mic Like I can rape you with a verse or use a verb as a knife Like before Kool Herc, everything was alright Like y'all wasn't callin black women **** befo' "Rappers Delight"

The Cure is better than rap. Simple.

JJGT500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145 JJGT500
Member since 2011 • 217 Posts

I enjoy quite a few rap/hip hop artists, mostly stuff that I grew up listening to. The stuff coming out these days just isn't the same.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
umm its the most selling in the US
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

A lot of the people on this site are a certain kind of person. Not the kind of people who like rap music.

But in real life, outside of a video game website, a LOT of people in the United States like rap music.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#148 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I juts don't like it based on what I hear from it. It seems the only time I hear it is when old cars pass by with their windows rattling. What I do hear from those songs are just cussing and funky slang. I didn't say I hate it, but from what I hear I just don't like it. :(
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 bigdcstile

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Strormbringer"]

Strormbringer

The Cure is better than rap. Simple.

Opinions: everyone has them.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

I love this song... not your typical rap song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbN6VkleO48