What Do You Think The Bible Is?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts
What do you think the Christian Bible is? Please choose one of the poll answers above. Thank you, and God bless, Crushmaster.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
It's a book. Made with jeef.. I'm not sure what jeef is... but it's Holy
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
I'm a Christian, but I consider it a manual of morality.
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#5 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts
Manual of Morality
TheHimura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TheHimura
Member since 2005 • 9297 Posts

It's a book. Made with jeef.. I'm not sure what jeef is... but it's Holyaaronmullan

Yes... lots and lots of jeef.

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
Umm a hoax?
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
It's just a book.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
A book, but it's along the lines of myths and legends for me.
crazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 crazychris
Member since 2003 • 1420 Posts
cinematic gold. the next micheal bay film.
Riverspirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Riverspirit
Member since 2008 • 138 Posts
I think it's a very well written book that offers some good life lessons, but is fictional. My opinion.
ATOMIC_TOAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ATOMIC_TOAST
Member since 2005 • 536 Posts
God's Word. 2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is breathed out by God..."
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts
If I may ask, to those that feel the Bible is just a book, a doorstop, or a book of myths, why do you feel that way? I am curious.
zombieman666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#14 zombieman666
Member since 2006 • 3514 Posts
A book
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts
It's a book with some good information in it, along with some questionable information in it, and we will never know it's true history.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

(2 Timothy 3:16-17) - "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: {17} That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
It is God's Word; inspired and innerrant.

snoopeymaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 snoopeymaster
Member since 2007 • 1081 Posts

its god's word.

how do i know you ask.

Well in the book, god himself wrote that its his book, and those are his words. GOD SAID IT HIMSELF IN THE BOOK THATS 2000 YEARS OLD!

so it must be true because god himself says its true in the book!

Sarcasm obviously

its a book of fiction in my humble opinion, but offers a lot of very good lessons and morals

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dariency

(2 Timothy 3:16-17) - "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: {17} That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
It is God's Word; inspired and innerrant. Crushmaster

Well of course the bible is going to say it's inspired by god. Why would it say "The bible is not a real inspiration of god, and should not be thought as such"? That would be obviously absurd. Same with religion. Why would you say you don't think your religion is truth when you're a member of it?

Anything is possible, but I believe that there are actually some ungodly things in the bible.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
A holy book.
luckystar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 luckystar23
Member since 2006 • 780 Posts

Fictional book of life lessons. Think Hop-on-Pop with morals, and some self-righteousness thrown in there.

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
If you have a fireplace, the bible will keep you warm for a short while.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts

If you have a fireplace, the bible will keep you warm for a short while.ElectronicMagic

It's awesomeness radiates heat?

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fanofazrienoch
Member since 2008 • 1573 Posts
far too few options available to represent the entire spectrum of beliefs regarding the Bible.
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ElectronicMagic

[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]If you have a fireplace, the bible will keep you warm for a short while.aaronmullan

It's awesomeness radiates heat?

More like it's burning pages.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blackregiment
For those that do not believe that the Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, and preserved Word, what evidence do you have to support your disbelief? Do you realize that there have been over 25,000 archaeological finds that confirm people, places and events that are recorded in the Bible? Do you realize that there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies?
snoopeymaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 snoopeymaster
If you have a fireplace, the bible will keep you warm for a short while.ElectronicMagic
not only that, its very good for rolling some illegal substances :) ;)
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ElectronicMagic

For those that do not believe that the Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, and preserved Word, what evidence do you have to support your disbelief? Do you realize that there have been over 25,000 archaeological finds that confirm people, places and events that are recorded in the Bible? Do you realize that there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies?blackregiment

Do you believe the world is less than 12,000 years old?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blackregiment

This thread was a respectful question, presented in a respectful manner. Why do you choose to mock and denegrate the Bible? No one is doing that to you.

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fanofazrienoch

For those that do not believe that the Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, and preserved Word, what evidence do you have to support your disbelief? Do you realize that there have been over 25,000 archaeological finds that confirm people, places and events that are recorded in the Bible? Do you realize that there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies?blackregiment
where are these 25,000 archaeological finds? my apologetics study bible lists just over a dozen.

BTW, the bible is not inerrant, and it was not perfectly preserved. for more info, Bart Ehrman discussed this in his book (and lecture) "Misquoting Jesus"

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fanofazrienoch
question for electronicmagic, surely you accept that Jesus existed?
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ElectronicMagic

[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]If you have a fireplace, the bible will keep you warm for a short while.blackregiment

This thread was a respectful question, presented in a respectful manner. Why do you choose to mock and denegrate the Bible? No one is doing that to you.

Because I think it's a terrible book. If it was any other book, you wouldn't mind. Now would you please answer the question I asked you earlier? Which is "Do you think the earth is less than 12,000 years old?".

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dariency

Just because it may some recorded history, doesn't prove that god wrote it or inspired it. Anyone could record events in a book and have them read thousands of years later as history.

And I'm sure every religious book has fulfilled prophecies of their own. And there's a way to cheat at that too.

snoopeymaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 snoopeymaster

we never questioned the historical accuracy of the bible, we just question its words.

Such as: Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

i can go on and on. Also the plane fact that god has never been proven to exist its enoughh.

A book which is 2000 years old, original copy doesnt even exist, changed hundreds of times, original language copy doesnt even exist, cannot be trusted.

Anyone who trust such a book is a fool in my opinion

ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ElectronicMagic

question for electronicmagic, surely you accept that Jesus existed? fanofazrienoch

No, I don't. There isn't evidence for or against the existence of Jesus.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]For those that do not believe that the Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, and preserved Word, what evidence do you have to support your disbelief? Do you realize that there have been over 25,000 archaeological finds that confirm people, places and events that are recorded in the Bible? Do you realize that there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies?ElectronicMagic

The age of the earth is not the topic of discussion. For your information, no where in the Bible is the age of the earth given. You don't seem to be very familiar with the Book you are mocking.

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts

If I may ask, to those that feel the Bible is just a book, a doorstop, or a book of myths, why do you feel that way? I am curious.blackregiment

'Cause I don't believe in God, thus the book's contents must also be a hoax.

blasto65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blasto65_basic
Member since 2002 • 496 Posts

The problem with prophecies is you see what you want to see. You could say the same for Nostradamus is he then God because he made alot of prophecies that people say came true.

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fanofazrienoch

i can go on and on. Also the plane fact that god has never been proven to exist its enoughh. snoopeymaster

no such thing as "proof" outside of mathematics.

A book which is 2000 years old, original copy doesnt even exist, changed hundreds of times, original language copy doesnt even exist, cannot be trusted.snoopeymaster

for that, we have textual criticism. BTW, it has not been changed "hundreds" of times, and if we are to throw it out simply because we do not have the autographs is, well naive to put it lightly. we do not have the original manuscripts for ANYTHING from antiquity, and hence we must throw out ALL specific events of ancient history.

snoopeymaster
anyone who would lob such accusations is a fool in my evidently vastly more informed opinion.
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ElectronicMagic
[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]For those that do not believe that the Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, and preserved Word, what evidence do you have to support your disbelief? Do you realize that there have been over 25,000 archaeological finds that confirm people, places and events that are recorded in the Bible? Do you realize that there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies?blackregiment

The age of the earth is not the topic of discussion. For your information, no where in the Bible is the age of the earth given. You don't seem to be very familiar with the Book you are mocking.

I answered your question, I'm simply asking one in return. I have read much of the bible. So how old is the earth?

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]For those that do not believe that the Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, and preserved Word, what evidence do you have to support your disbelief? Do you realize that there have been over 25,000 archaeological finds that confirm people, places and events that are recorded in the Bible? Do you realize that there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies?snoopeymaster

we never questioned the historical accuracy of the bible, we just question its words.

Such as: Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

i can go on and on. Also the plane fact that god has never been proven to exist its enoughh.

A book which is 2000 years old, original copy doesnt even exist, changed hundreds of times, original language copy doesnt even exist, cannot be trusted.

Exactly, the book's contents have probably been adapted to keep believers. Just like stories, it must have changed.

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fanofazrienoch

[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"]question for electronicmagic, surely you accept that Jesus existed? ElectronicMagic

so how about the Gospels or Paul's letters or the references by Josephus?
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blackregiment

I don't think you should be calling people that believe God's revelation a fool just because you do not understand the whole counsel of the Word of God as revealed in the Bible.

There is a mountain of evidence for the existance of God that is revealed in His creation such as the anthropic principle, irreducible complexity, the language of DNA, etc.

There is ZERO evidence that God does not exist.

The difference is that you choose to live in rebellion to God and put your trust in man. God gave you a free will to do just that if that is your choice. He will also give you the eternal destiny that you choose. He is not going to force Himself on you.

blasto65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blasto65_basic
Member since 2002 • 496 Posts

Here is a real good read it just came out in Time magazine "Was Jesus resurrect a sequel"

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1820685,00.html?cnn=yes

ATOMIC_TOAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ATOMIC_TOAST
Member since 2005 • 536 Posts

Its true, tons of prophecies...check out Ezekiel 26. God told Ezekiel about how the city of Tyre would be destroyed 300 years before it happened:

Ezekiel 26:3b,4

"Behold, I am against you, O Tyre, and will bring up many nations against you, as the sea brings up its waves. They shall destroy the walls of Tyre and break down her towers, and I will scrape her soil from her and make her a bare rock."

That was written in 6th century BC. In 332 BC, Alexander the Great, head of his burgeoning Greek empire [many nations] came against Tyre. The city had two parts, one on shore and the other an island fortress in the sea. They had a great navy but were no match for Alexander's army. They lost the mainland but bunkered up on the island and laughed at Alexander. So in a rage, he leveled the mainland city to the last brick and scraped the rubble into the sea to make a land bridge over to the island, marching in with his ground army and destorying the fortress. Read the rest of the prohpecy in Ezekiel 26. Alexander did everthing to Tyre that the Bible said he would. Nothing in any Greek Oracle or any other holy text is that accurate. Word of God my friends!

ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ElectronicMagic
[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]

[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"]question for electronicmagic, surely you accept that Jesus existed? fanofazrienoch

The bible is the only book from that time period that ever mentions Jesus, that isn't evidence, he's a character in a work of ficition. The bible also talks about Jonah living in the belly of a whale for 300 years, a great flood that covered the world for 40 days and 40 nights, while the only humans that survived lived on a boat with two of each animal gathered from across the world, Jesus turning water into wine, walking on water and bring the dead back to life, is that true? No, not at all.

ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ElectronicMagic

I don't think you should be calling people that believe God's revelation a fool just because you do not understand the whole counsel of the Word of God as revealed in the Bible.

There is a mountain of evidence for the existance of God that is revealed in His creation such as the anthropic principle, irreducible complexity, the language of DNA, etc.

The difference is that you choose to live in rebellion to God and put your trust in man. God gave you a free will to do just that if that is your choice. He will also give you the eternal destiny that you choose. He is not going to force Himself on you.

blackregiment

I take it that you aren't going to answer my question? Why not? I answered your's. It's only fair after all.

snoopeymaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 snoopeymaster

blackregiment

ok this is a simple observation that anyone with half a brain can make.

When something HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN TO EXIST, it means it doesnt exist. How simple was that?

Proof for gods existance is god itself coming down to earth and doing whatever god does.

Proof is god is not a 2000 year old book, thats just something humans made to make others delusional.

I'LL BE POSTING BEAUTIFUL QUOTES FROM THE BIBLE IN EVERY POST I MAKE SO THAT WE CAN SEE HOW OUR GOD WANTS US TOP KILL EACH OTHER, WHAT A NICE GOD!

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness.(Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fanofazrienoch
[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]

[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"]question for electronicmagic, surely you accept that Jesus existed? ElectronicMagic

The bible is the only book from that time period that ever mentions Jesus, that isn't evidence, he's a character in a work of ficition. The bible also talks about Jonah living in the belly of a whale for 300 years, a great flood that covered the world for 40 days and 40 nights, while the only humans that survived lived on a boat with two of each animal gathered from across the world, Jesus turning water into wine, walking on water and bring the dead back to life, is that true? No, not at all.

no, no and NO. the bible is not ONE book, but 66 different books. the New Testament is 27 different books by 9 different authors (or 14 depending on how many you consider to be pseudepigrapha). secondly, the Gospels are ancient biographies of Jesus, 2 of these were written by eye-witnesses, and the other 2 used eye-witnesses as their sources. secondly, the new testament, the Gospels, the epistles have NOTHING to do with Genesis 1-10. third, there is a wide array of evidence that Jesus did rise from the dead.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]For those that do not believe that the Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, and preserved Word, what evidence do you have to support your disbelief? Do you realize that there have been over 25,000 archaeological finds that confirm people, places and events that are recorded in the Bible? Do you realize that there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies?ElectronicMagic

I answered your question, I'm simply asking one in return. I have read much of the bible. So how old is the earth?

I answered your question. The Bible does not state the age of the earth. If you would have read it, you would have known that. My opinion on the age of the earth is irrelevant to the truth of the Bible just as your opinion of the Bible is irrelevant to the truth of God's Word, other than as to yoyr eternal destiny that is.

Without faith and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, a non-believer is not able to comprehend the truth of God's Word in the Bible.

2Co 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Isa 44:18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fanofazrienoch
ok this is a simple observation that anyone with half a brain can make.

When something HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN TO EXIST, it means it doesnt exist. How simple was that?

snoopeymaster
that's not at all how science works.