Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#201 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
[QUOTE="AFraud"]

At first glance I would say this is idiotic, and violates separation of church and state.

But the Bible actually covers a fair amount of ancient history. If it's taught as part of a history lesson on say ancient Egypt or ancient Jurusalem, and not given a literal interpretation, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Locke562
...much has been disproved.

Links. Please.
ZookGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#202 ZookGuy
Member since 2008 • 2340 Posts

[QUOTE="bsman00"][QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]

Really people... are you all so dense? You're all up in arms over this? It's not a big deal at all.

Fact 1: the bible has influenced majority of western education/literature since it's existed.

Fact 2: this is not a course on religion.. it's a course on the bible as literature.

Conclusion.. there is nothing wrong with studying the bible in public education. It's good to know where ideas originated from in a specific culture.

MasterBolt360

What the point of studing it? It has no truth in it.....

Same goes for evolution. What dumbass would believe we came from monkeys?

I do... :|, plus there is more than enough evidence to show that we came from primates, before little changes in our genes turned us into the humans that we are today over the process of thousands of years.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
"The purpose of a course like this isn't even really to get kids to believe it, per se, it is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government." Sounds fine to me...
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#204 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]Leviticus is in the Old Testament tho. The consequences for those laws are no longer valid because of Jesus' death.mindstorm

Really? That's news to me.

The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.

Nooooo it's more interesting Dante's way, with all the levels of hell. :D

Well, actually, Dante doesn't really contradict that. But Dante is still awesome. :D

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#205 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Seeing as how this is Texas, I'm sort of questioning the motive behind this move, but if it is being taught purely for literary purposes I have absolutely no problem with this. chessmaster1989

The problem is, The Bible is what? 1000 pages? They'd have to spend a long time on it to get anywhere (hell, my GTL class last year spent a month on The Iliad and easily could have spent the rest of the quarter on it, and it's much shorter). And, with how much great literature there is out there, I'd be disappointed to see a school cut multiple classics to include The Bible. Honestly, teachers should just do what my third quarter GTL teacher did when we read Paradise Lost, and recommend parts of The Bible to read beforehand to assist with comprehension of the piece of literature.

Well, I would be surprised if they read the entire bible. I would hope they would narrow it down to a few select books; e.g. Genesis and/or Job - that wouldn't take too long.
twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Really? That's news to me.

The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.

Well, actually, Dante doesn't really contradict that. But Dante is still awesome. :D

who does'nt want to party with the devil?! :o :P
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Indeed, so why cannot teachers simply recommend relevant portions of The Bible (or summaries of relevant portions) before reading books that would benefit from having some knowledge of The Bible? If a student chooses not to read them, that's their choice.

chessmaster1989

I've taken survey classes on the New Testament and the Old Testament, and all they basically did was explain the main point of each book, give background knowledge, and speak about different theories like how the Synoptic Gospels were written. Neither class expected prior knowledge in the subject. However, what you say could be done like looking at the practical aspects of the wisdom literature in the Old Testament as it's on study.

AFraud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#208 AFraud
Member since 2004 • 1500 Posts

[QUOTE="Locke562"][QUOTE="AFraud"]

At first glance I would say this is idiotic, and violates separation of church and state.

But the Bible actually covers a fair amount of ancient history. If it's taught as part of a history lesson on say ancient Egypt or ancient Jurusalem, and not given a literal interpretation, I don't see anything wrong with it.

battlefront23

Links. Please.

That's why I said a literal interpretation of it would be a bad idea. Obviously the earth wasn't created in seven days and is more than 5000 years old.

I'm actually a bit baffled that so many christians interpret the Bible so literally and can't see that the Bible is full of metaphors.

But like a lot of mythology, the Bible is deeply intertwined with history.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 battlefront23
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well, I would be surprised if they read the entire bible. I would hope they would narrow it down to a few select books; e.g. Genesis and/or Job - that wouldn't take too long.

The most logical book to read would be John. It discusses a man who is arguably the most influential man of all time, and it was intended for non-believers.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 mindstorm

That's why I said a literal interpretation of it would be a bad idea. Obviously the earth wasn't created in seven days and is more than 5000 years old.

AFraud

I interpret the Bible literally but don't believe in a young earth. Figure that one out. :wink: :P

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 battlefront23

[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="Locke562"] ...much has been disproved. AFraud

Links. Please.

Assuming when the Bible says 7 days it literally means 7 24 hour periods. ;)
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
[QUOTE="Locke562"][QUOTE="AFraud"]

battlefront23

Links. Please.

Even without links I can say that a Global Flood is impossible as it would have left a trace and, given the measurements of the Ark given in the Bible it would not have been able to hold 2 of every animal, That's not even taking into account the different habitats. (Still looking for links)
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"] "The purpose of a course like this isn't even really to get kids to believe it, per se, it is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government." Sounds fine to me...

It sounds a tad biased to me. Do you honestly thing this course will be taught properly by every high school teacher (who teaches it) in Texas? I'm iffy on that. And why just the Bible?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well, I would be surprised if they read the entire bible. I would hope they would narrow it down to a few select books; e.g. Genesis and/or Job - that wouldn't take too long.

The most logical book to read would be John. It discusses a man who is arguably the most influential man of all time, and it was intended for non-believers.

Eh, I personally feel that Job is the most interesting read, but to each his own.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
well it is arguable islam and judaism had just as much of an impact on the world. whya re they not included? its an eyebrow raiser
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.twilightpanda

Indeed. :lol:

You're 10k post is coming up, I see. :P

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

"a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum." no it isnt elective it is a must weezyfb

That wording suggests elective to me.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="twilightpanda"] who does'nt want to party with the devil?! :o :P

If he still uses Ray Wise as a vessel, I would. That guy is awesome.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.mindstorm

That's also news to me. And I believe in God, if that counts for anything.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 MrPraline

[QUOTE="twilightpanda"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Yes, but she's not going to throw a party. :( Maybe you can convince her to do so. :P
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 mindstorm
[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well, I would be surprised if they read the entire bible. I would hope they would narrow it down to a few select books; e.g. Genesis and/or Job - that wouldn't take too long.

Indeed. Perhaps the most important things to teach is giving an overview of Genesis, a brief history of Israel, example prophecies about Jesus' first reign, John, and a brief overview of content in the letters. ...which is a lot that I think about it. :P
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Locke562
[QUOTE="AFraud"]

[QUOTE="battlefront23"] Links. Please. battlefront23

Assuming when the Bible says 7 days it literally means 7 24 hour periods. ;)

No, That's tracing the genealogy in the torah back to Adam. If this is taken literally it means that the first human was created roughly 4000 years ago. This is after the Sumerians and Babylonians invented Glue and Beer.
twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 twilightpanda

[QUOTE="twilightpanda"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

hurrr i have to search for pics for this party and that makes me a sad panda :(
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 battlefront23
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well, I would be surprised if they read the entire bible. I would hope they would narrow it down to a few select books; e.g. Genesis and/or Job - that wouldn't take too long.

Eh, I personally feel that Job is the most interesting read, but to each his own.

We going for interest or which book would benefit the most students? :P
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]"a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum." no it isnt elective it is a must pianist

Actually, if it says "must offer," that does sound like requiring an elective course on The Bible as opposed to requiring The Bible to be read/studied in required clases. Although I think it a little silly to require all high schools to offer and elective course on The Bible, I don't have nearly as much of a problem with that.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 twilightpanda
[QUOTE="twilightpanda"] who does'nt want to party with the devil?! :o :PMrPraline

lol ahaha i hope i see you all down there when i die :lol:
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.Dark_Knight6

Not to be crude, confrontational, or whatever but so do the demons. I'm not sure how well that's working out for them. :o
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 MrPraline
[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="twilightpanda"] who does'nt want to party with the devil?! :o :Ptwilightpanda

I wouldn't count on seeing anything after death, but who knows. :P
Lindsosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Lindsosaurus
Member since 2009 • 1982 Posts

MrPraline

Yes, but she's not going to throw a party. :( Maybe you can convince her to do so. :P

:o Panda You HAVE to throw a party! I already have gifts lined up!

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 pianist

Was that supposed to be productive to this topic? Do you just enjoy inciting frustration? I'm guessing the latter. And didn't God provide an alternative to sin? To everyone's sin? BTW, I'm only arguing with one of you at a time.battlefront23

It was as productive to the topic as the post you made to which I responded. I've always found the "Old Testament doesn't matter because of Jesus" mantra of Christians to be narrow-sighted on account of the fact that God STILL sentences people to eternal torture, even if we can't treat them in a barbaric manner ourselves. Just pointing out an obvious flaw in your argument - and that of everyone who claims that things are different because of the New Testament, because when you get right down to it, they aren't. It's still a "do as I say or burn in hell" religion if you ascribe to the fundamentalist interpretation of Christianity, as most professing Christians do.

This topic is moving quickly. I don't have time - so you can find someone else to argue with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the OT vs. NT argument is invalid.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 twilightpanda
[QUOTE="twilightpanda"][QUOTE="MrPraline"] If he still uses Ray Wise as a vessel, I would. That guy is awesome.MrPraline

i must see you and chessmaster......it is the only thing i wish for from death lol :P
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 battlefront23

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.Dark_Knight6

What do you believe He/She did/is doing?
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.mindstorm

Not to be crude, confrontational, or whatever but so do the demons. I'm not sure how well that's working out for them. :o

Not so well, Dante's running through owning them with his massive sword and twin guns nonetheless. :lol:

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]"a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum." no it isnt elective it is a must pianist

from k through 12. most here are assuming highschool. religion should be in the home, religious institutions or religious schools. you want your kid coming home asking why he is going to hell?
twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 twilightpanda
[QUOTE="Lindsosaurus"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

:o Panda You HAVE to throw a party! I already have gifts lined up!

ok i will i will only because you guys want me to :D
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Dark_Knight6

Not to be crude, confrontational, or whatever but so do the demons. I'm not sure how well that's working out for them. :omindstorm

Wow, according to what Christians have told me, God never seems to be pleased. Picky fellow, huh? :P

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="twilightpanda"] lol ahaha i hope i see you all down there when i die :lol:twilightpanda

i must see you and chessmaster......it is the only thing i wish for from death lol :P

An eternity of nothingness with only twilightpanda and MrPraline to keep me company... now that gives me some... ideas... :oops:

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 battlefront23

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]Was that supposed to be productive to this topic? Do you just enjoy inciting frustration? I'm guessing the latter. And didn't God provide an alternative to sin? To everyone's sin? BTW, I'm only arguing with one of you at a time.pianist

It was as productive to the topic as the post you made to which I responded. I've always found the "Old Testament doesn't matter because of Jesus" mantra of Christians to be narrow-sighted on account of the fact that God STILL sentences people to eternal torture, even if we can't treat them in a barbaric manner ourselves. Just doing my community service, pointing out an obvious flaw in your argument - and that of everyone who claims that things are different because of the New Testament, because when you get right down to it, they aren't. It's still a "do as I say or burn in hell" religion if you ascribe to the fundamentalist interpretation of Christianity, as most professing Christians do.

This topic is moving quickly. I don't have time - so you can find someone else to argue with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the OT vs. NT argument is invalid.

How are they not different, now? Before Jesus' sacrifice, homosexual acts were punishable by death on the spot. (and various other sins, just using that as an example) Now all that is needed is forgiveness. I'd say that's quite a difference.
twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 twilightpanda

[QUOTE="twilightpanda"][QUOTE="MrPraline"] I wouldn't count on seeing anything after death, but who knows. :Pchessmaster1989

An eternity of nothingness with only twilightpanda and MrPraline to keep me company... now that gives me some... ideas... :oops:

lol i thought you would rather be with clint eastwood :lol:
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]Not to be crude, confrontational, or whatever but so do the demons. I'm not sure how well that's working out for them. :oDark_Knight6

Wow, according to what Christians have told me, God never seems to be pleased. Picky fellow, huh? :P

Essentially, the demons believe but don't follow. We are not called to do the same. Jesus is not only to be a good prophet or teacher but Lord over our life.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Dark_Knight6

Not so well, Dante's running through owning them with his massive sword and twin guns nonetheless. :lol:

chessmaster1989

:lol: Best not forget his wanna-be, Nero.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 chessmaster1989

Dark_Knight6

:lol: Best not forget his wanna-be, Nero.

Oh man, DMC4... :lol:

3/4 of the game you have to deal with a goddam whiny n00b, then you finally get to play as Dante. :D

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]The only sin a person will go to hell for is denying Christ. If you seek after Christ in your life, every sin is forgiven.battlefront23

What do you believe He/She did/is doing?

Created everything and continues to interact and love all of his creations.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 pianist

How are they not different, now? Before Jesus' sacrifice, homosexual acts were punishable by death on the spot. (and various other sins, just using that as an example) Now all that is needed is forgiveness. I'd say that's quite a difference.battlefront23

The act is still punishable by a fate worse than death. In the grand scheme of things, what happens to you on Earth is of very little consequence. Eternity is much longer. Homosexuals are still faced with an incredibly harsh punishment for fulfilling their biological urges. And they are still shunned by Christians here on Earth, even if not murdered. Things are not different in any meaningful way.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Locke562
Wait, What was this thread about again?
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="battlefront23"] More like quietly hinted at. Emphasis on hinted at.battlefront23

Emphasis on "Huh?" How so?

The teaching of evolution, while not biased in actuality, eventually leads to (from what I've seen) teachers getting on irrelevant tangents about how evolution makes it so there is no need for a God.

That's not science; that's opinion.

Odd; I've never seen or had a first hand encounter with anyone who has had this experience. If you have, those teachers were behaving just as unConstitutionally as someone teaching evangelical Christianity would be
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 pianist

Actually, if it says "must offer," that does sound like requiring an elective course on The Bible as opposed to requiring The Bible to be read/studied in required clases. Although I think it a little silly to require all high schools to offer and elective course on The Bible, I don't have nearly as much of a problem with that.

chessmaster1989

Yes, that's what I meant.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="MasterBolt360"] Ah hah, so I'm not alone! :P

Nope. If you like metalcore, are a Christian, have conservative values, and like popular movies, you're automatically flamed on this forum. Trust me. I know. :P

Yay! Let's ALL be victims =D
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 MrPraline
Wait, What was this thread about again?Locke562
About, uh, well, it had something to do with God.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Dark_Knight6

Oh man, DMC4... :lol:

3/4 of the game you have to deal with a goddam whiny n00b, then you finally get to play as Dante. :D

chessmaster1989

Oh but it was well worth it. Especially when Dante obtains Lucifer. There's nothing like Dante dancing around with a rose in his mouth, destroying everything so easily. And after he beats that moth-guy. I have to replay that game. :P