Smoking should be banned in public completely ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
No, if you cant handle it and are scared of someone else smoking a cigarette as you walk past them, avoid them, cross the road or something jeez, buncha whinersmaccer101
Why should we have to make the effort to avoid an unhealthy habit that we do not wish to partake in? Smokers can have their little smoking areas, but others should not be forced to deal with someone else's unhealthy choice.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#252 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="maccer101"]No, if you cant handle it and are scared of someone else smoking a cigarette as you walk past them, avoid them, cross the road or something jeez, buncha whinersGrodus5
Why should we have to make the effort to avoid an unhealthy habit that we do not wish to partake in? Smokers can have their little smoking areas, but others should not be forced to deal with someone else's unhealthy choice.

mis-use of the word force, being forced to deal with someone lese unhealthy choice would mean they are physically making you partake. how things are now you have the choice to walk past a person smoking or not, that is a choice and you are trying to remove the smokers choice of smoking or not because you prefer not to have to make a choice for your self. you want to FORCE someone to do something because you do not approve of their actions.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="SoBaus"]

In a public setting a crying baby is harder to get away from than a smoker. Lets make babies illegal, amirite? A smoker is the easiest of all public nuisances to avoid.

SoBaus

I'm not saying to make it illegal. I'm just saying that smoking a cigarette does affect other people and strongly bothers lots of people. What society determines to be permissible and what it determines to not be permissible vary. A crying baby certainly can be annoying. So can loud automobiles, motorcycles, etc. But people value the convenience of those things more than the downside. However, there are some laws that curb even those activities. Some states have laws against using your car horn. Some states have certain public ordiances that prevent people from blasting loud music in public. Yet no one is saying "make music illegal". They're just saying to be respectful of those around you. When you smoke, you're not just affecting yourself.

99% of smokers are more respectful than people could imagine, its the non smokers that are indignant and intolerant d-bags.

Smokers try to keep to themselves, similiar to someone listening to their ipod with earbuds, but these narcissistic self-righteous a-holes always comes up and say crap like "you know thats bad for your health" or pretend to cough... and you just want to crush their skull.... so badly. But unlike them us smokers are actually decent people so we freaking apologize and try to move away from these d-bags.

Yes, smokers tend to be quite a bit more tolerant than non-smokers. I'm pretty sure that this is backed by inquiries, which is a interesting counter argument against the anti-social argument of others.

Besides that even the second hand smoking issue is overly dramatized and the majority of the non-smokers knows nothing about second hand smoking while most smokers do.

It is a fact that second hand smoking only poses health problems if it happens for years, happens at least a few times a week and it has to be in a quite severe situation. (multiple smokers and closed in space).

Furtheremore many research data about second hand smoking is compromized due to studies not taking in account people who used to smoke and quit.
For example a couple where the womon quits smoking and the man continue's to smoke, the women dies of smoking and second hand smoking is blamed.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 SoBaus
Member since 2011 • 546 Posts

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

99% of smokers are more respectful than people could imagine, its the non smokers that are indignant and intolerant d-bags.

Smokers try to keep to themselves, similiar to someone listening to their ipod with earbuds, but these narcissistic self-righteous a-holes always comes up and say crap like "you know thats bad for your health" or pretend to cough... and you just want to crush their skull.... so badly. But unlike them us smokers are actually decent people so we freaking apologize and try to move away from these d-bags.

scouttrooperbob

Do people really do that? Like you can emediatly quit smoking. I Dont smoke but I have some family members who use tobaco products and they know they are bad. Many of them have tryed to stop but have failed, But they defenantly try to limit expsosure to people by smoking out side or away from people ETC...

Of course they really do that. And even when vaporizers for tobacco come out like e-cigarettes the natural reaction of anti tobacco lobbyists and anti smoking bigots in general is "we have to make this illegal"

A device that makes quitting smoking easier needs to be made illegal... because it resembles smoking. Anti smokers are the dumbest, most intolerant people on the planet... and they are rude as hell. If im trying to have a smoke away from people, they will walk up to me and make asanine comments from their moral highground when i just want to be left alone.

Im telling you its maddening.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#255 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
I wish they would ban cigarettes outright. I'm a smoker.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="scouttrooperbob"]

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

SoBaus

Do people really do that? Like you can emediatly quit smoking. I Dont smoke but I have some family members who use tobaco products and they know they are bad. Many of them have tryed to stop but have failed, But they defenantly try to limit expsosure to people by smoking out side or away from people ETC...

Of course they really do that. And even when vaporizers for tobacco come out like e-cigarettes the natural reaction of anti tobacco lobbyists and anti smoking bigots in general is "we have to make this illegal"

A device that makes quitting smoking easier needs to be made illegal... because it resembles smoking. Anti smokers are the dumbest, most intolerant people on the planet... and they are rude as hell. If im trying to have a smoke away from people, they will walk up to me and make asanine comments from their moral highground when i just want to be left alone.

Im telling you its maddening.

hit the gym and have an indifferent look on your face at tall times, when you look like youre liable to eat a person if they push the wrong button they are less likely to bother you, but that is just my observation as a gym nut and light smoker (2-3 cigs a day) pack a week

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
I normally take the position that people can do whatever they choose with their body. But when their actions negatively affect the lives of other people who don't wish to harm their body, there's no argument for me. Yes, it should be banned in all public places.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
I still don't understand why people don't mind inhaling car and truck fumes all day but five seconds of cigarettes sends them into a righteous fury?
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

I normally take the position that people can do whatever they choose with their body. But when their actions negatively affect the lives of other people who don't wish to harm their body, there's no argument for me. Yes, it should be banned in all public places.Maniacc1
So, someone minding their own business walking down the street cant have a smoke? How about on public roads while driving? Should the be banned from smoking there too?

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
I wish they would ban cigarettes outright. I'm a smoker.BrianB0422
Trying to quit?
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]I wish they would ban cigarettes outright. I'm a smoker.DavidianMH
Trying to quit?

Not sure about BrianB0422, but I HAVE to quit and SOON. I don't want to be smoking when our kid is born. I've stopped for months on end before but this time is has to be forever.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#262 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
Nope. I do not think its right.
cs45F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 cs45F
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts
you could try but really no ones gonna enforce it and people are still gonna smoke outside.
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 DavidianMH

[QUOTE="DavidianMH"][QUOTE="BrianB0422"]I wish they would ban cigarettes outright. I'm a smoker.YellowOneKinobi

Trying to quit?

Not sure about BrianB0422, but I HAVE to quit and SOON. I don't want to be smoking when our kid is born. I've stopped for months on end before but this time is has to be forever.

Quitting smoking isn't easy, especially cold turkey (which is what I did). Hope you can kick the habit soon :)
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#265 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

lol what is wrong with you people? Im sure there is enough air to go around for everyone.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#266 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
rather bann it from parents smoking in front of children, they can smoke it all they want as long as it isn't in my face. I got ASTHMA because they smoked at home. So i am very against it
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

well considering that just a abit of 2nd hand smoke can cause asthma attacks in some people is just one reason i think it should be banned,

not to mention it smells like crap and isnt nice to breathe in,

IMO smoking should be banned completely as its just one thing that humanity doesnt need and has no benefits

sonofsmeagle

Using that logic perfumes should be banned as well.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#268 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

lol what is wrong with you people? Im sure there is enough air to go around for everyone.

Morphic

Apparently, some people's air is worth more than others.:|

Most posters here in OT are quite reasonable in virtually every thread that involves rights of others, with the exception of smokers rights. This thread is proof that government propaganda can really affect the minds of even the most reasonable people if given enough time and effort into letting us believe the "second hand smoke menace".

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 SoBaus

rather bann it from parents smoking in front of children, they can smoke it all they want as long as it isn't in my face. I got ASTHMA because they smoked at home. So i am very against itThe_Last_Ride

Pretty bold claim... i believe the cause of asthma is largely genetic. Is it possible you are are choosing smoking as a scapegoat?

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]I wish they would ban cigarettes outright. I'm a smoker.DavidianMH
Trying to quit?

Kind of. I quit for about 6 months 2 years ago, but it was an everyday struggle. I don't think I have the will to quit. They're either gonna have to be $10 a pack or outlawed all together for me to finally snap out of it.
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 DavidianMH
[QUOTE="DavidianMH"][QUOTE="BrianB0422"]I wish they would ban cigarettes outright. I'm a smoker.BrianB0422
Trying to quit?

Kind of. I quit for about 6 months 2 years ago, but it was an everyday struggle. I don't think I have the will to quit. They're either gonna have to be $10 a pack or outlawed all together for me to finally snap out of it.

I gradually cut down to around 10 a day and then just flat out quit. I just found other things to do with my time to keep my mind off them. Wasn't easy, but I fought the urges. Quitting was one hell of a nice feeling though. Don't give up man.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#272 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

It should be prohibited. I don't like breathing the toxic cancer other people choose to smoke.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 SoBaus

[QUOTE="DavidianMH"][QUOTE="BrianB0422"]I wish they would ban cigarettes outright. I'm a smoker.BrianB0422
Trying to quit?

meh, why quit? just smoke 1 or 2 a day for that delicious nicotine buzz.

Are they like lay's potato chips where you cant have just 1? Ive personally never felt addicted to smoking i guess. I have gone weeks wihout smoking just because i dont feel like it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 worlock77

It should be prohibited. I don't like breathing the toxic cancer other people choose to smoke.

SouL-Tak3R

But you don't mind breathing all the other toxic s*** in the air?

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 SoBaus

SouL-Tak3R

not a fan of breathing in the toxic cancer because other people dont carpool.

live and let live.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

worlock77

Again, some things are necessary. Unless again you're suggesting smoking is equally as important as transporting food?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

Nibroc420

Again, some things are necessary. Unless again you're suggesting smoking is equally as important as transporting food?

Again, how in the blue f*** do you get that from my statement?

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
No because how will I smoke during the day away from home? If you're breathing in smoke you're standing too close to someone. I always respect non-smokers and I expect a level of respect back (i.e. no comments please).
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

some pollution is always going to happen, and toxins are always going to be somewhere. You're comparing smoking, to "all the other toxic s***" I took that a step further and sorted them for you, 2 categories. Necessary evils : Using vehicles to transport goods and food. Unnecessary evils: Inhaling and exhaling toxic chemicals. If you're going to compare the two, are you suggesting that smoking is necessary? If not more important than the transport of food and goods?
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 SoBaus

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

Nibroc420

How bout posting on the internet...? racking up the kilowatts there arent ya using your PC for selfish enjoyment? You better not be using incandescent light bulbs.... electricity consumption = pollution.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Yes, its about damn time. People aren't allowed to drink in public, so why are they allowed to smoke? However, I believe that everyone has a right to smoke on privately owned property, or where the property owner allows it. Because banning it outright isn't the answer. Just in public places where people shouldn't be subjected to someone else's smoke.

This. It should be banned in public areas but on private land it should be up to the owners.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

SoBaus

How bout posting on the internet...? racking up the kilowatts there arent ya using your PC for selfish enjoyment? You better not be using incandescent light bulbs.... electricity consumption = pollution.

Only if i'm using coal to create the electricity.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Again, some things are necessary. Unless again you're suggesting smoking is equally as important as transporting food?Nibroc420

So you are self sufficient on the grid with solar and wind energy? grats... but i dont think you are...

PS where do you think the majority of US energy comes from... ill give you a hint, its not solar.

how dare you kill my lungs with your wanton PC usage purely for entertainment... so selfish.

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

I wish it could. People die from passive smoking, as the smoke that comes out is unfiltered therefore more harmful. Besides, it's really annoying when you've got a sore throat and have to cough.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Cigarettes and all tobacco in general should be banned. Period.DarkLink77
God forbid people have a choice about what they put into their bodies. :roll:

Uh huh,people have the right to smoke marijuana, heroine and cocain. :D

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="SoBaus"]

SoBaus

So you are self sufficient on the grid with solar and wind energy? grats... but i dont think you are...

PS where do you think the majority of US energy comes from... ill give you a hint, its not solar.

I'll give you a hint: Not everyone in the world is from the US. ;)
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

I wish it could. People die from passive smoking, as the smoke that comes out is unfiltered therefore more harmful. Besides, it's really annoying when you've got a sore throat and have to cough.

yourmajesty90
Now, the damn smoke that's coming out is filtered when it enters the smoker... explain to me how the f*** does it become unfiltered once it exits the smoker? When you have a sore throat EVERYTHING will make it feel bad, and not a lot of people die from passive smoking, not enough to assume that a damn whiff will kill you.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Only if i'm using coal to create the electricity.Nibroc420

doesnt matter, no country is even close to sustaining their energy needs on renewable energy.

And think of all the huge US servers that need to be in place just to make these forums possible.... by posting here you are supporting these pollution factories.... shameful, good sir.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Again, some things are necessary. Unless again you're suggesting smoking is equally as important as transporting food?Nibroc420

some pollution is always going to happen, and toxins are always going to be somewhere. You're comparing smoking, to "all the other toxic s***" I took that a step further and sorted them for you, 2 categories. Necessary evils : Using vehicles to transport goods and food. Unnecessary evils: Inhaling and exhaling toxic chemicals. If you're going to compare the two, are you suggesting that smoking is necessary? If not more important than the transport of food and goods?

And yet you have not explained how you take "cigarettes are just as important as food" from my comment. I would say what I think you're really doing, but that would probably result in yet another moderation for me, so I'll hold back.

Yes, it's necessary to get goods from Point A to Point B. Doing so while releasing tons of toxic pollutants into the air is not necessary however. We could severely curtail our emmissions if we had the will do do so. No one does however, since that might inconvenience them. Instead people would rather hysterically b**** about the occaisional whiff of cigarette smoke while ignoring the proverbal elephant in the room.

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 yourmajesty90

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

8-Bitterness

Now, the damn smoke that's coming out is filtered when it enters the smoker... explain to me how the f*** does it become unfiltered once it exits the smoker? When you have a sore throat EVERYTHING will make it feel bad, and not a lot of people die from passive smoking, not enough to assume that a damn whiff will kill you.

Ok, calm down. Passive smoking is actually a big deal. You don't know how the body reacts to it. It could be 10 whiffs, 20, 30 or even 1 that will have a negative reaction on a cell in your body and a cancer starts.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 SoBaus

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

8-Bitterness

ahh yes the old 2nd hand smoke is more deadly than first hand (yes people, these F'n anti smoking groups actually say this crap).... lol dunno how i missed that one (good catch though).

If someone cant figure out that, that claim is pure lobbyist BS... i weep for their basic reasoning abilities.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="SoBaus"]

SoBaus

doesnt matter, no country is even close to sustaining their energy needs on renewable energy.

And think of all the huge US servers that need to be in place just to make these forums possible.... by posting here you are supporting these pollution factories.... shameful, good sir.

:| Your logic is flawed, even if i wasn't posting here the servers would be up and polluting.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] I'll give you a hint: Not everyone in the world is from the US. ;)Nibroc420

:| Your logic is flawed, even if i wasn't posting here the servers would be up and polluting.

I assure you, my logic is never flawed.

If nobody posted on the gamespot forums, the servers wouldnt exist... the more people that post... the more servers necessary to facilitate the load. So by being one of the masses, you are essentially throwing coal dust into a newborn baby's lungs, good sir.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"][QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

yourmajesty90

Ok, calm down. Passive smoking is actually a big deal. You don't know how the body reacts to it. It could be 10 whiffs, 20, 30 or even 1 that will have a negative reaction on a cell in your body and a cancer starts.

Or you know, it could be hundreds of thousands of whiffs....
yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 yourmajesty90

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"] Now, the damn smoke that's coming out is filtered when it enters the smoker... explain to me how the f*** does it become unfiltered once it exits the smoker? When you have a sore throat EVERYTHING will make it feel bad, and not a lot of people die from passive smoking, not enough to assume that a damn whiff will kill you.8-Bitterness

It could, but you don't know when.

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 DavidianMH

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"][QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

yourmajesty90

I've never heard of anyone dying from passive-smoking :? And you know it takes hundreds of thousands of cigs to kill someone right?
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 SoBaus

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"] Now, the damn smoke that's coming out is filtered when it enters the smoker... explain to me how the f*** does it become unfiltered once it exits the smoker? When you have a sore throat EVERYTHING will make it feel bad, and not a lot of people die from passive smoking, not enough to assume that a damn whiff will kill you.8-Bitterness

Not true, havent you heard of all those smokers that died after 1-30 drags? You know... that big list.... of all the people that died of 1-30 drags... which is probably 2 cigarettes. That huge list of deaths from people that smoked 2 cigarettes... this is all fact and definitely happened.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 SoBaus

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"] Or you know, it could be hundreds of thousands of whiffs....DavidianMH

I've never heard of anyone dying from passive-smoking :? And you know it takes hundreds of thousands of cigs to kill someone right?

i believe a smoker can smoke hundreds of thousands of cigarettes before getting lung cancer... but just the smell can give a non smoker cancer.

Thats why i took up smoking, to prevent lung cancer.

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 yourmajesty90

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"] Or you know, it could be hundreds of thousands of whiffs....DavidianMH

You've never heard of it, but it happened. There are a lot of cases.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I've never heard of anyone dying from passive-smoking :? And you know it takes hundreds of thousands of cigs to kill someone right?DavidianMH

Now you do.

"We now know that 53,800 people die every year from secondhand smoke exposure. This number is based on the midpoint numbers for heart disease deaths (48,500), lung cancer deaths (3,000), and SIDS deaths (2,300) as calculated in the 1997 California EPA Report on Secondhand Smoke."

www.no-smoke.org/getthefacts.php?id=13