Smoking should be banned in public completely ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] 10 feet probably wouldn't bother anyone either....BUT....the problem is that not all smokers are considerate that they are in a crowd. If they can light up in public...they do. This wouldn't be an issue if smokers policed themselves. That's why we get extreme laws passed. Because you might make sure not to bother non smokers doesn't mean other smokers are that considerate. Hence, as I said legislation.LJS9502_basic

Thousands upon thousands of drunk drivers are arrested during any given month. Let's ban driving on public roads?

Bad analogy. Drunk driving is a criminal offense....driving in and of itself is not. And as I stated.....smoking outside is fine....if it doesn't occur around those not wishing to inhale smoke. Which equates to driving being fine....as long as one is not impaired behind the wheel.;)

Eh, maybe you're right about it being a bad analogy. I just think that people have to be careful about government in general going overboard on a lot of laws like this. Living in NY and doing a lot of business in NYC, with all of the laws/regulations instituted by Bloomberg (transfats, soon salt, making it a crime to purchase a counterfit bag....even though technically I don't know how a consumer would know)....... I admittedly might be a little hyper-sensitive to 'bans' in general.

Regarding smoking in general, I think that if the government thinks it's as evil as they claim to, then make it illegal (and do without the tremendous amountof taxes they collect on it).

Final note, I hate'rude' smokers. And thisis coming from someone who is in the process of quitting (again..... although with a kid on the way this time itHAS TO be for good).

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 SoBaus
Member since 2011 • 546 Posts

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Aren't there laws about where you can grill though? I mean, you can't just light a fire in the middle of a city centre, can you?jimmyjammer69

There are privately owned businesses like campgrounds, that allow grilling and campfires in my state. Unfortunately there are no privately owned businesses that can allow smoking.

You're talking about enclosed workplaces, I'm guessing, where the law's probably just as strict on lighting campfires and barbecues.

even in inclosed spaces, the outback steakhouse has grills, the chillis has grills.... but nobody is allowed to smoke in either of them.

We even have barbeque joints, and barbeque joints have smokers... which if you arent the culinary expert that someone like myself is... is a device designed for producing the most amount of smoke possible... in order to use smoke to flavor the meat.

But again, smoking a cigarette is illegal in all of these places. And all these places create meats full of carcinogens... because if you didnt know... any charred or blackened food, is cancer causing food. The charred ash represented as grill lines in your steak or burger is actually a black line of cancer.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="SoBaus"]

There are privately owned businesses like campgrounds, that allow grilling and campfires in my state. Unfortunately there are no privately owned businesses that can allow smoking.

SoBaus

You're talking about enclosed workplaces, I'm guessing, where the law's probably just as strict on lighting campfires and barbecues.

even in inclosed spaces, the outback steakhouse has grills, the chillis has grills.... but nobody is allowed to smoke in either of them.

We even have barbeque joints, and barbeque joints have smokers... which if you arent the culinary expert that someone like myself is... is a device designed for producing the most amount of smoke possible... in order to use smoke to flavor the meat.

But again, smoking a cigarette is illegal in all of these places. And all these places create meats full of carcinogens... because if you didnt know... any charred or blackened food, is cancer causing food. The charred ash represented as grill lines in your steak or burger is actually a black line of cancer.

A lot of this doesn't make any sense to me. Part of the reason for banning smoking in all bars/restaurants is to protect employees. However, a few blocks from my house there is a small "hole in the wall bar" that is owned by two brothers. They are the ONLY employees. They both smoke, yet are not allowed to smoke in thier own bar. Nobody is forcing non smokings to wet their whistle there, so to me it is just overkill.

Note: Of course, the two brothers don't always follow that particular law.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

SoBaus

I imagine restaurants are subject to different regulations on open flames and fumes than typical businesses, in the same way that most states make smoking exemptions for places such as tobacconists, where smoking is pretty much the sole purpose of the establishment. Which state are we talking about, btw?
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]If you can sit next to a grill or a campfire and not have an asthma attack.Overlord93

heres the kicker bro, campfire smoke is hot, a s*** tonne hotter than ciggys, what does heat do? it rises, up, I would have to put my head over a campfire to inhale its smoke, all the "proof" you have displays completely ignores this, nor do I set up a campfire in the middle of a public ****ing street, if I did so, I would expect punishment
do smokers follow you around blowing smoke in your face? generally speaking both are stationary objects.SoBaus
smokers have these things called legs, and then tend to use them to walk along these things called footpaths, which are these narrow strips of pavement which everyone walks along.

all smoke is hot, smoke is the result of combustion. Whether its a burning cigarette or a burning log on the fireplace... smoke goes up. Otherwise, it wouldnt be smoke.

Yes smokers have legs, are you saying you are being trailed an harassed by smokers? Seems odd, but i could see why people might target you.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

No.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

I like to use GTA:SA wherever I can and relate it to real life. This is a commercial from the radio in the great world of GTA that I agree 100%.

--Proposition 421-- (Kill all smokers)    Woman: If only the world was less like this...    Man: I could use a smoke (sound of lighter)    Woman 2: Hey!  Put that out!    Woman: ...and more like this...    Man: I could use a smoke (sound of lighter)    Woman 2: You murderer!  I might have children one day!  (sound of gunshot)    Woman: Smoking kills.  Unless you kill first.  If you're around a smoker, you -will- die.  
Smokers may look like they're relaxed and having fun, but don't believe it. Vote "yes"
on Proposition 421. Let's outlaw smoking everywhere- even in people's homes, and allow
honest citizens to legally kill anyone who smokes. Let's live in a world without smokers!
Prohibition works- let's prove it. Let's move up the food chain. It's time to smoke the
smokers! Vote "yes" on Proposition 421.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]You're talking about enclosed workplaces, I'm guessing, where the law's probably just as strict on lighting campfires and barbecues.jimmyjammer69

I imagine restaurants are subject to different regulations on open flames and fumes than typical businesses, in the same way that most states make smoking exemptions for places such as tobacconists, where smoking is pretty much the sole purpose of the establishment. Which state are we talking about, btw?

all states, but i live in connecticut. I used to goto pennsylvania and smoke and goto bars but then they made it illegal too. Its country wide. Im not entirely sure what a tobacconist even is....

same reason i dont goto a sushi place and demand pizza... i have basic knowledge that tells me different establishments serve different purposes. So if i want to eat pizza i dont goto a sushi restaurant, and if im looking for a health and wellness program i dont goto a bar. For me this makes sense, for most... maybe not. We should legally make bars serve only brown rice and skinless chicken breast for food and only blended wheat grass as beverages... sounds good to me, amirite?

seems like a good plan, every private business should do exactly what i want regardless of what they want... and if they dont do exactly what i want, i should sue them. I should be able to walk into a best buy and order a slice of pizza, and they legally should be required to serve it to me because im an over privileged d-bag with an over-inflated ego and a massive sense of entitlement.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#209 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

i think we should just kill anyone who does anything i dont like. it would make the perfect world for me, as for everyone else ****um, why would their opinions and life choices matter in my perfect world.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 YellowOneKinobi

i think we should just kill anyone who does anything i dont like. it would make the perfect world for me, as for everyone else ****um, why would their opinions and life choices matter in my perfect world.

surrealnumber5

If you kill them, how can you tax them? Estate tax maybe?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

YellowOneKinobi

what makes you think my "perfect world" is any more reasonable than the rest of the BS free stuff no work utopias people here like to espouse?

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

surrealnumber5

what makes you think my "perfect world" is any more reasonable than the rest of the BS free stuff no work utopias people here like to espouse?

Touche

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 jimmyjammer69

SoBaus

all states, but i live in connecticut. I used to goto pennsylvania and smoke and goto bars but then they made it illegal too. Its country wide. Im not entirely sure what a tobacconist even is....

same reason i dont goto a sushi place and demand pizza... i have basic knowledge that tells me different establishments serve different purposes. So if i want to eat pizza i dont goto a sushi restaurant, and if im looking for a health and wellness program i dont goto a bar. For me this makes sense, for most... maybe not. We should legally make bars serve only brown rice and skinless chicken breast for food and only blended wheat grass as beverages... sounds good to me, amirite?

Oh, that's not so bad if you're a smoker then, because in CO you can smoke in small workplaces and private clubs with pre-2003 alcohol licences. There's also some bizarre double standard for cigars, for some reason. TBH, the indoor workplace ban makes a lot of sense to me. Since you mention restaurants, I've heard restaurant and bar owners and staff are generally really positive about the indoor ban.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 SoBaus

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

surrealnumber5

what the hell is a no work utopia? what country does that happen in?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]If you kill them, how can you tax them? Estate tax maybe?

SoBaus

i am not sure if that is a serious question

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]If you kill them, how can you tax them? Estate tax maybe?

SoBaus

It doesn't; he's just trying to put anyone with views he disagrees in under one umbrella, whereas stuff like the utopia of a nation founded on nothing but personal responsibility and belief in the same rights that suit him are to be considered the patriotic duty of every American.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I imagine restaurants are subject to different regulations on open flames and fumes than typical businesses, in the same way that most states make smoking exemptions for places such as tobacconists, where smoking is pretty much the sole purpose of the establishment. Which state are we talking about, btw?jimmyjammer69

Oh, that's not so bad if you're a smoker then, because in CO you can smoke in small workplaces and private clubs with pre-2003 alcohol licences. There's also some bizarre double standard for cigars, for some reason. TBH, the indoor workplace ban makes a lot of sense to me. Since you mention restaurants, I've heard restaurant and bar owners and staff are generally really positive about the indoor ban.

the alternative, is that the owner sets regulations.

If you dont like cigarette smoke, heres an idea.... dont apply for a job at an establishment that permits smoking. Alot of bars have gone under due to smoking restrictions. Im guessing a bankrupt bar owner would give you a less positive review as his home is being forclosed on.

There were non smoking establishments waaaay before the smoking ban.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] what makes you think my "perfect world" is any more reasonable than the rest of the BS free stuff no work utopias people here like to espouse?

jimmyjammer69

It doesn't; he's just trying to put anyone with views he disagrees in under one umbrella, whereas stuff like the utopia of a nation founded on nothing but personal responsibility and belief in the same rights that suit him are to be considered the patriotic duty of every American.

i would give you $100 vie paypal if you can find a single post of mine where i express sentiments of "patriotic duty"

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] what makes you think my "perfect world" is any more reasonable than the rest of the BS free stuff no work utopias people here like to espouse?

surrealnumber5

its serious, which country never works but somehow maintains a positive gdp?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 jimmyjammer69

surrealnumber5

i would give you $100 vie paypal if you can find a single post of mine where i express sentiments of "patriotic duty"

I'm making exactly that point, that you consistently try to lump everyone together under your stereotype of the average American liberal on pretty much every issue; I'm just doing the same for an outlandish idea of conservatism.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

SoBaus

its serious, which country never works but somehow maintains a positive gdp?

people here like to espouse civil and political theories where the state provides for all for free, it cannot work and so there has never been a state in history that has made it work, and a perfect world for me, not for everyone, only me. where i kill anyone who does anything i dont like would be no more ridiculous than those theories. that was the meaning of my first and second post in this thread and i thought ilaid that out quite thick, but is seems i was wrong.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

all smoke is hot, smoke is the result of combustion. Whether its a burning cigarette or a burning log on the fireplace... smoke goes up. Otherwise, it wouldnt be smoke.SoBaus
:lol: derp

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]It doesn't; he's just trying to put anyone with views he disagrees in under one umbrella, whereas stuff like the utopia of a nation founded on nothing but personal responsibility and belief in the same rights that suit him are to be considered the patriotic duty of every American.jimmyjammer69

I'm making exactly that point, that you consistently try to lump everyone together under your stereotype of the average American liberal on pretty much every issue; I'm just doing the same for an outlandish idea of conservatism.

only i dont do that, the only time i equate anything to retardedly liberal stance is when topic X is one that would dictate what most would see as a choice, asking the government to step in and tell the whole of society to change their behavior because an extremely small interest group feels they have been wronged by a choice someone else made in their completely separate life that has nothing to do with the group call for the action. unless the topic is abortion, then i blame "bible thumpers." any way since you know me so well and are not trying to paint aentierlyinaccurate picture of me, i will wait for you to find a post of mine out side of this thread talking about "patriotic duty".

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]all smoke is hot, smoke is the result of combustion. Whether its a burning cigarette or a burning log on the fireplace... smoke goes up. Otherwise, it wouldnt be smoke.Overlord93

well i dont know apparently you can inhale a gasoline soaked log for days on end, but someone smoking a cigarette triggers your asthma.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] i would give you $100 vie paypal if you can find a single post of mine where i express sentiments of "patriotic duty"

surrealnumber5

only i dont do that, the only time i equate anything to retardedly liberal stance is when topic X is one that would dictate what most would see as a choice, asking the government to step in and tell the whole of society to change their behavior because an extremely small interest group feels they have been wronged by a choice someone else made in their completely separate life that has nothing to do with the group call for the action. unless the topic is abortion, then i blame "bible thumpers." any way since you know me so well and are not trying to paint aentierlyinaccurate picture of me, i will wait for you to find a post of mine out side of this thread talking about "patriotic duty".

Fine, since you seem intent on missing the point, I'll wait for you to post something from this thread where someone mentioned expecting to live in a work-free utopia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#226 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I guess it comes down to one person's right to smoke in public and othe people's right to not be subjected to cigarette smoke. There are some public ordinances against creating disturbances. I can't take an air horn and blast it at every person I see in public. That ordinace infringes on my right to use air horns as I see fit, but you can see why it exists. The trouble is that we don't live in a vacuum. I'm sure you can make a convincing argument for either side based on rights, but I just tend to land on the side of the nonsmokers. I guess it's because I don't smoke and don't like to be around it. I'm sure if I was a smoker than I'd feel that my freedom to smoke is more important than someone else's freedom to not have smoke in their face.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 SoBaus

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] i would give you $100 vie paypal if you can find a single post of mine where i express sentiments of "patriotic duty"

surrealnumber5

personal freedoms and economic issues have nothing in common. Tax rates apply to every citizen.... crap like smoking and gun rights are targeted bigotry.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I'm making exactly that point, that you consistently try to lump everyone together under your stereotype of the average American liberal on pretty much every issue; I'm just doing the same for an outlandish idea of conservatism.jimmyjammer69

Fine, since you seem intent on missing the point, I'll wait for you to post something from this thread where someone mentioned expecting to live in a work-free utopia.

the point is you asserted i post anything along the lines of "patriotic duty" and i offered you $100 to find anywhere within my posting history where i mention such a thing. you are not trying to cop out by trying to make me back a claim i never made, that being that someone in this thread that is about ordinance espoused communistic theores about governance, again i never made such a claim, i did state that such forms of governance are backed here at gamespot with much fever, but not in this thread. so are you going to continue to try to paint me what i am not or are you going to present evidence and win your $100 prize?

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 SoBaus

I guess it comes down to one person's right to smoke in public and othe people's right to not be subjected to cigarette smoke. There are some public ordinances against creating disturbances. I can't take an air horn and blast it at every person I see in public. That ordinace infringes on my right to use air horns as I see fit, but you can see why it exists. The trouble is that we don't live in a vacuum. I'm sure you can make a convincing argument for either side based on rights, but I just tend to land on the side of the nonsmokers. I guess it's because I don't smoke and don't like to be around it. I'm sure if I was a smoker than I'd feel that my freedom to smoke is more important than someone else's freedom to not have smoke in their face.

sonicare

exactly and saying i cant go around stabbing people in the face with a knife is infringing on my right to stab people in the face with a knife. Good logical and equitable positions happening here. Oh my! this slope is slippery.

EDIT: you can move 5 feet and completely avoid a smoker, can you move 5 feet and completely avoid an air horn? Does this seem like a good comparison?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] only i dont do that, the only time i equate anything to retardedly liberal stance is when topic X is one that would dictate what most would see as a choice, asking the government to step in and tell the whole of society to change their behavior because an extremely small interest group feels they have been wronged by a choice someone else made in their completely separate life that has nothing to do with the group call for the action. unless the topic is abortion, then i blame "bible thumpers." any way since you know me so well and are not trying to paint aentierlyinaccurate picture of me, i will wait for you to find a post of mine out side of this thread talking about "patriotic duty".

surrealnumber5

the point is you asserted i post anything along the lines of "patriotic duty" and i offered you $100 to find anywhere within my posting history where i mention such a thing. you are not trying to cop out by trying to make me back a claim i never made, that being that someone in this thread that is about ordinance espoused communistic theores about governance, again i never made such a claim, i did state that such forms of governance are backed here at gamespot with much fever, but not in this thread. so are you going to continue to try to paint me what i am not or are you going to present evidence and win your $100 prize?

No, the point is that you yet again brought in your totally irrelevant stereotype to help the stupid to draw lines on this issue and others. I did the same to you and now you're up in arms. Wow, what a surprise, who would have thought dumb stereotypes could be annoying when you're on the receiving end.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 SoBaus

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Fine, since you seem intent on missing the point, I'll wait for you to post something from this thread where someone mentioned expecting to live in a work-free utopia.

jimmyjammer69

No, the point is that you yet again brought in your totally irrelevant stereotype to help the stupid to draw lines on this issue and others. I did the same to you and now you're up in arms. Wow, what a surprise, who would have thought dumb stereotypes could be annoying when you're on the receiving end.

whos the stupid? if im the stupid im sure i know more about tobacco stastistics and studies than probably everyone else here. Or are you eluding to the fact that he made a completely unrelated topic into something with a conservative slant?

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]all smoke is hot, smoke is the result of combustion. Whether its a burning cigarette or a burning log on the fireplace... smoke goes up. Otherwise, it wouldnt be smoke.SoBaus

well i dont know apparently you can inhale a gasoline soaked log for days on end, but someone smoking a cigarette triggers your asthma.

what kind of mug puts gasolene on a camp-fire? this gets lulzier by the post :lol:
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] the point is you asserted i post anything along the lines of "patriotic duty" and i offered you $100 to find anywhere within my posting history where i mention such a thing. you are not trying to cop out by trying to make me back a claim i never made, that being that someone in this thread that is about ordinance espoused communistic theores about governance, again i never made such a claim, i did state that such forms of governance are backed here at gamespot with much fever, but not in this thread. so are you going to continue to try to paint me what i am not or are you going to present evidence and win your $100 prize?

SoBaus

whos the stupid? if im the stupid im sure i know more about tobacco stastistics and studies than probably everyone else here. Or are you eluding to the fact that he made a completely unrelated topic into something with a conservative slant?

No, I'm not suggesting you're the stupid. It's pretty obvious that both you and surreal are intelligent posters.

Yes, that was basically what I was trying to say - that the purpose of all these political stereotypes is to assist the stupid to make up their minds based on totally unrelated opinions.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Fine, since you seem intent on missing the point, I'll wait for you to post something from this thread where someone mentioned expecting to live in a work-free utopia.

jimmyjammer69

i am defending my self from a personal attack, and requesting evidence from the attacker, how unreasonable of me.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] the point is you asserted i post anything along the lines of "patriotic duty" and i offered you $100 to find anywhere within my posting history where i mention such a thing. you are not trying to cop out by trying to make me back a claim i never made, that being that someone in this thread that is about ordinance espoused communistic theores about governance, again i never made such a claim, i did state that such forms of governance are backed here at gamespot with much fever, but not in this thread. so are you going to continue to try to paint me what i am not or are you going to present evidence and win your $100 prize?

surrealnumber5

i am defending my self from a personal attack, and requesting evidence from the attacker, how unreasonable of me.

Report it to the mods if you honestly think there was a personal attack somewhere - I'm really not bothered. But I'll give you enough credit to assume you actually do see the irony of what's just happened and you're continuing with a dead point out of boredom.
lasseeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 lasseeb
Member since 2010 • 1186 Posts

I have a GREAT idead. We should tax them and give all the money to lasseeb on Gamespot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

exactly and saying i cant go around stabbing people in the face with a knife is infringing on my right to stab people in the face with a knife. Good logical and equitable positions happening here. Oh my! this slope is slippery.

EDIT: you can move 5 feet and completely avoid a smoker, can you move 5 feet and completely avoid an air horn? Does this seem like a good comparison?

Actually, 5 feet does not remove you from the effects of cigarette smoke. My comparison is equitable. Loud noise is considered a noxious stimulus. So is cigarette smoke. Both are irritants. Stabbing someone with a knife is not an equivalent position. You're the one making the bizarre comparisons, not me. Sorry.
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#238 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

businesses should be able to ban it. and maybe certain government buildings as well. but universally? I think that's unfair.

tmaclabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#239 tmaclabi
Member since 2006 • 17109 Posts
Here in the Philippines. Smoking is prohibited in public and if you violate it, you'll receive a penalty.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#240 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think only cool people should be allowed to smoke in public, since it makes them even cooler and makes us feel better about our lives. For example, Tyler Durden, Solid Snake, John Marston etc. People like those guys are allowed to smoke, because they are cool.

Of course I don't smoke so either way it doesn't affect me, but I do think that if marijuana is illegal and alcohol is less legal, then smoking should be a bit stricter considering the higher health risks (though alcohol is incredibly dangerous too, don't get me wrong).

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

sonicare

Actually, 5 feet does not remove you from the effects of cigarette smoke. My comparison is equitable. Loud noise is considered a noxious stimulus. So is cigarette smoke. Both are irritants. Stabbing someone with a knife is not an equivalent position. You're the one making the bizarre comparisons, not me. Sorry.

i was merely escalating your escalation. Back when i played paintball, we used airhorns to signal the start of the game.... lighting a cigarette would not have worked.

But you think it would.... because you are unbiased an reasonable.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
i would have no problem with it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="SoBaus"] exactly and saying i cant go around stabbing people in the face with a knife is infringing on my right to stab people in the face with a knife. Good logical and equitable positions happening here. Oh my! this slope is slippery.

i was merely escalating your escalation. Back when i played paintball, we used airhorns to signal the start of the game.... lighting a cigarette would not have worked.

I was making a statement about things that interfere with people's ability to enjoy public settings. Loid noises, noxious smoke, etc. If you want to start a discussion about the best way to signal the start to a paintball game, we could try that in a different thread.
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] Actually, 5 feet does not remove you from the effects of cigarette smoke. My comparison is equitable. Loud noise is considered a noxious stimulus. So is cigarette smoke. Both are irritants. Stabbing someone with a knife is not an equivalent position. You're the one making the bizarre comparisons, not me. Sorry.sonicare

I was making a statement about things that interfere with people's ability to enjoy public settings. Loid noises, noxious smoke, etc. If you want to start a discussion about the best way to signal the start to a paintball game, we could try that in a different thread.

In a public setting a crying baby is harder to get away from than a smoker. Lets make babies illegal, amirite? A smoker is the easiest of all public nuisances to avoid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="SoBaus"]

In a public setting a crying baby is harder to get away from than a smoker. Lets make babies illegal, amirite? A smoker is the easiest of all public nuisances to avoid.

I'm not saying to make it illegal. I'm just saying that smoking a cigarette does affect other people and strongly bothers lots of people. What society determines to be permissible and what it determines to not be permissible vary. A crying baby certainly can be annoying. So can loud automobiles, motorcycles, etc. But people value the convenience of those things more than the downside. However, there are some laws that curb even those activities. Some states have laws against using your car horn. Some states have certain public ordiances that prevent people from blasting loud music in public. Yet no one is saying "make music illegal". They're just saying to be respectful of those around you. When you smoke, you're not just affecting yourself.
Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#246 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

[QUOTE="CoolSkAGuy"]Why don't they just shoot smokers on the spot Nibroc420

Agreed.

Second hand smoke = Cancer
Cancer = severe injury or death.

Smokers should be charged with Assault with a deadly weapon, or attemped murder.

You have to be around alot of second hand smoke though. Not half as bad as smoking yourself. Obviously dont try to stay in smoking areas long but still. I know alot of elderly people that smoke and are still alive. Not that you should smoke or anything.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 SoBaus

[QUOTE="SoBaus"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] I was making a statement about things that interfere with people's ability to enjoy public settings. Loid noises, noxious smoke, etc. If you want to start a discussion about the best way to signal the start to a paintball game, we could try that in a different thread.sonicare

I'm not saying to make it illegal. I'm just saying that smoking a cigarette does affect other people and strongly bothers lots of people. What society determines to be permissible and what it determines to not be permissible vary. A crying baby certainly can be annoying. So can loud automobiles, motorcycles, etc. But people value the convenience of those things more than the downside. However, there are some laws that curb even those activities. Some states have laws against using your car horn. Some states have certain public ordiances that prevent people from blasting loud music in public. Yet no one is saying "make music illegal". They're just saying to be respectful of those around you. When you smoke, you're not just affecting yourself.

99% of smokers are more respectful than people could imagine, its the non smokers that are indignant and intolerant d-bags.

Smokers try to keep to themselves, similiar to someone listening to their ipod with earbuds, but these narcissistic self-righteous a-holes always comes up and say crap like "you know thats bad for your health" or pretend to cough... and you just want to crush their skull.... so badly. But unlike them us smokers are actually decent people so we freaking apologize and try to move away from these d-bags.

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#248 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

99% of smokers are more respectful than people could imagine, its the non smokers that are indignant and intolerant d-bags.

Smokers try to keep to themselves, similiar to someone listening to their ipod with earbuds, but these narcissistic self-righteous a-holes always comes up and say crap like "you know thats bad for your health" or pretend to cough... and you just want to crush their skull.... so badly. But unlike them us smokers are actually decent people so we freaking apologize and try to move away from these d-bags.

SoBaus

Do people really do that? Like you can emediatly quit smoking. I Dont smoke but I have some family members who use tobaco products and they know they are bad. Many of them have tryed to stop but have failed, But they defenantly try to limit expsosure to people by smoking out side or away from people ETC...

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#249 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

Not if they're smoking pipes

maccer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#250 maccer101
Member since 2005 • 4257 Posts
No, if you cant handle it and are scared of someone else smoking a cigarette as you walk past them, avoid them, cross the road or something jeez, buncha whiners