Rugby is so stupid.

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

I just went to the first rugby practice, I've never played before and had no idea how it works, so I was walking in pretty green, and the mechanics are so stupid.

You can only pass to a player if they are behind you going toward your endzone, that's right. It is completely counter-intuitive to the way most sports games work.

You can't block anyone in order to help your teammate get across the field, that results in a penalty. You can't try and get the ball during a tackle unless its not under the teammates legs. The game is more about following dumb rules that make no sense than it is about scoring, it's so stupid.

To me, a sport or a game has to have rules that make sense and make the game better, not worse. I didn't really like it at all and will probably never play the game again.

Have you played rugby? Have you watched it? What do you think of it?

Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Parandrus
Member since 2008 • 2511 Posts
I think you'll like it more once you get used to it.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

i love rugby didn't you have another thread saying you like polo?? that's worse than rugby

Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

I don't hate it, I just don't understand it

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Rugby is great. If all sports had different rules then there wouldn't be many different sports. Don't hate the game dude, hate the player. If you don't understand or can't play than that doesn't mean the sport sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 avatar_genius

I think you'll like it more once you get used to it.Parandrus

I don't like things that don't follow good logic and make sense. It's almost like the game wants its players to be worse at the game than better.

Soccer, basketball, and football are so much more fun. I didn't have fun. I would rather spend 10 hours kicking a soccer ball into a net than practicing a rugby drill.

It's like some people created the game just to be nonconformist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 avatar_genius

i love rugby didn't you have another thread saying you like polo?? that's worse than rugby

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

It was a joke thread about yak polo, I've never played polo.

Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Parandrus

[QUOTE="Parandrus"]I think you'll like it more once you get used to it.avatar_genius

I don't like things that don't follow good logic and make sense. It's almost like the game wants its players to be worse at the game than better.

Soccer, basketball, and football are so much more fun. I didn't have fun. I would rather spend 10 hours kicking a soccer ball into a net than practicing a rugby drill.

Everybody I've known who played Rugby loves it. I've never met someone who has played and didn't like it. For that reason I think you'll eventually like it more. You just have to give it a chance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 avatar_genius

Rugby is great. If all sports had different rules then there wouldn't be many different sports. Don't hate the game dude, hate the player. If you don't understand or can't play than that doesn't mean the sport sucks. xTheExploited
There's no point to it, it's just a dumb game with dumb mechanics that don't make sense.

The game isn't "badass" at all. They say it's more violent than football, but probably only because of the lack of padding, which doesn't make it inherently more violent.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="Parandrus"]I think you'll like it more once you get used to it.Parandrus

Everybody I've known who played Rugby loves it. I've never met someone who has played and didn't like it. For that reason I think you'll eventually like it more. You just have to give it a chance.

I don't want to play a game with mechanics I find "off." It just doesn't sit with me.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Eh, the rules make sense. You just need to get used to it.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
then don't play it and quit complaining about it
Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Parandrus

[QUOTE="Parandrus"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

I don't want to play a game with mechanics I find "off." It just doesn't sit with me.

You only went to one practice. You should at least wait until after the first game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 avatar_genius

then don't play it and quit complaining about it XD4NTESINF3RNOX

I'll vent my justified opinion ona truly stupid game if I damn well please, homey.

Besides, I quit halfway through the first practice. Not really playing the game with those mechanics again.

Go have fun with your game that really doesn't make any sense, I'll play soccer or football, cause they actually follow logic.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Rugby is great. If all sports had different rules then there wouldn't be many different sports. Don't hate the game dude, hate the player. If you don't understand or can't play than that doesn't mean the sport sucks. avatar_genius

There's no point to it, it's just a dumb game with dumb mechanics that don't make sense.

The game isn't "badass" at all. They say it's more violent than football, but probably only because of the lack of padding, which doesn't make it inherently more violent.

You can say that about any sport. Take baseball for example, you hit the ball so you can run to a white square. And you want to run back to where you started. That makes no sense and is pointless. If you have a ball and step on the square before the person gets there then they are out... what? See how easy that is. There are rules to every sport that sound stupid but it doesn't make the sport stupid. They may not make sense but in play the game is fun.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 super_mario_128

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"]then don't play it and quit complaining about it avatar_genius

I'll vent my justified opinion ona truly stupid game if I damn well please, homey.

Kind of hard to form an opinion on a sport when you haven't even played a match of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="Parandrus"] Everybody I've known who played Rugby loves it. I've never met someone who has played and didn't like it. For that reason I think you'll eventually like it more. You just have to give it a chance.Parandrus

You only went to one practice. You should at least wait until after the first game.

I appreciate your sentiment, dude. And if I truly miss out on something that's my problem, I just really didn't like it at all and didn't have fun.

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"]then don't play it and quit complaining about it avatar_genius

Besides, I quit halfway through the first practice. Not really playing the game with those mechanics again.

Go have fun with your game that really doesn't make any sense, I'll play soccer or football, cause they actually follow logic.

you quit half way through the FIRST practice way to give it a chance how pathetic....and I'm an American btw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"]then don't play it and quit complaining about it super_mario_128

Kind of hard to form an opinion on a sport when you haven't even played a match of it.

Rules that don't make sense turn me off really fast.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
You have to hang in there; rugby is the best sport to play.
-Apathy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Apathy-
Member since 2008 • 1069 Posts
I love rugby...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"]then don't play it and quit complaining about it XD4NTESINF3RNOX

you quit half way through the FIRST practice way to give it a chance how pathetic....and I'm an American btw

Yeah, I'm American too hotstuff. There's plenty of things I don't need to give a chance because I have good judgement as to whether something deserves a chance or not.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I've never played rugby or really followed it, but I don't think you gave it a fair chance. You say it has stupid rules, but then you say Football is better than it. I'm willing to bet that football has more rules than rugby.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

INFADEL!

Seriously, all sports have seemingly stupid and arbitrary rules if you don't know anything about them (anything to do with dribbling in basketball, strict hand-ball rules in soccer, downs in football etc.), and you've been to a grand total of one practice. Watch some youtube videos and track down a copy of Rugby for Dummies if you want to learn the sport.

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

http://australia.jrn.msu.edu/2003/AUsports/Rugbyrules.html how hard is it to use google and look up the rules before you went?

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

It has already been clarified that the rules make perfect sense. You would be wise to at least take part in a game first before rubbishing it, since it is hardly a boring game to watch or play...
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

Why would you ever think it's stupid?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"] Kind of hard to form an opinion on a sport when you haven't even played a match of it. XD4NTESINF3RNOX

http://australia.jrn.msu.edu/2003/AUsports/Rugbyrules.html how hard is it to use google and look up the rules before you went?

You sound angry.

Is this game even worth defending so zealously?

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

You sound angry.

i'm not angry i just think it's stupid to quit before you learn anything about it and go around calling it a stupid sport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"]

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

You sound angry.

i'm not angry i just think it's stupid to quit before you learn anything about it and go around calling it a stupid sport

The guy was explaining all these rules to me and I was thinking "wtf?"

Games/sports should be simple, not have weird rules for the sake of having weird rules.

Gimmick. That's the word I was looking for.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Never understood it. Football for me.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

The guy was explaining all these rules to me and I was thinking "wtf?"

Games/sports should be simple, not have weird rules for the sake of having weird rules.

Gimmick. That's the word I was looking for.

This thread could have been more fun if you were not blatantly trolling. :/
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

I just went to the first rugby practice, I've never played before and had no idea how it works, so I was walking in pretty green, and the mechanics are so stupid.

You can only pass to a player if they are behind you going toward your endzone, that's right. It is completely counter-intuitive to the way most sports games work.

You can't block anyone in order to help your teammate get across the field, that results in a penalty. You can't try and get the ball during a tackle unless its not under the teammates legs. The game is more about following dumb rules that make no sense than it is about scoring, it's so stupid.

To me, a sport or a game has to have rules that make sense and make the game better, not worse. I didn't really like it at all and will probably never play the game again.

Have you played rugby? Have you watched it? What do you think of it?

i dont know much about rugby...but you say blocking/screens are penalties? thats kind of lame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 avatar_genius

i dont know much about rugby...but you say blocking/screens are penalties? thats kind of lamekidcool189

That's what I thought. Most other sports, hockey, football, soccer, basketball, etc, blocking is a very effective technique, and in rugby, it's not allowed, like wtf?

I didn't expect the game to have weird dumb rules like that. I like using my creativity more than just following rules that don't make sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 avatar_genius

The game is seriously one big gimmick. There are better sports to play.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

You have to understand it, you clearly don't.

It's like someone who has always played rugby saying, "so I tried american football, it's so stupid, if you get taken down play stops for like 5 minutes, the full team has to switch all over you have to wear stupid padding and a helmet"

If you don't like it don't play, just beacuse you don't understand does not make it stupid. Not many sports are stupid, I do not fully understand American football or Hockey, so therfore I do not watch it, and because I have not taken the time to understand it does not make it stupid, otherwise there wouldn't be millions of people linked to all these sports.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 avatar_genius

It's like someone who has always played rugby saying, "so I tried american football, it's so stupid, if you get taken down play stops for like 5 minutes, the full team has to switch all over you have to wear stupid padding and a helmet"

If you don't like it don't play, just beacuse you don't understand does not make it stupid. Not many sports are stupid, I do not fully understand American football or Hockey, so therfore I do not watch it, and because I have not taken the time to understand it does not make it stupid, otherwise there wouldn't be millions of people linked to all these sports.

Carl_W21

The point of american football and hockey is to get the small object (ball/puck) to the other side, and in rugby that you can't pass forward makes that really dumb.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
You shouldn't have expected it to be like American football then. It's your own damned fault if you came into it with preconceived notions of what it should be like.
Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

[QUOTE="Carl_W21"]

The point of american football and hockey is to get the small object (ball/puck) to the other side, and in rugby that you can't pass forward makes that really dumb.

It would be to easy to score if you could pass forward !

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
As far as i'm concerned it beats american football, seeing how it doesn't stop every twenty seconds.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

Eh, I found rugby to be fine, didn't like it as much as american football but I did enjoy playing every now and then. Two very different sports that's for sure.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts

It's a very restrictive game.

Most of the rules are just silly.

What's the purpose of lifting a guy off the ground to catch a throw-in from the side? Why not just like a throw-in like soccer? There's no purpose.

Also, staying flat with the rest of the line is pretty annoying.

It's perhaps one of the worst sports I've played.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

It's the best sport in the world, and far outdates most popular sports. You simply need to get a grasp of the rules, as per most violent, that's likely, but it's more about strategy than impact. Nothing is more beautiful then slamming the pack up the field and finally putting in a try.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
Had a friend try to teach that to us once.....we didn't get it. Perhaps the teaching was off. Though it does look interesting....
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 super_mario_128
Why not just like a throw-in like soccer? There's no purpose.JebranRush
The purpose is to give the opponents an opportunity to steal ball and launch an attack... This is the same with every set-piece in the game. Hardly 'pointless'
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Andrew_Xavier
Had a friend try to teach that to us once.....we didn't get it. Perhaps the teaching was off. Though it does look interesting....LJS9502_basic
Takes quite a bit of training to get ahold of it. It's not a sport for the unintelligent. (not that I'm calling you unintelligent, lol, it's just quite an intelligent sport.)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Had a friend try to teach that to us once.....we didn't get it. Perhaps the teaching was off. Though it does look interesting....Andrew_Xavier
Takes quite a bit of training to get ahold of it. It's not a sport for the unintelligent. (not that I'm calling you unintelligent, lol, it's just quite an intelligent sport.)

As I stated I don't think the instructions were very clear.....
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Had a friend try to teach that to us once.....we didn't get it. Perhaps the teaching was off. Though it does look interesting....LJS9502_basic

As I stated I don't think the instructions were very clear.....

Can happen quite easily, rugby is one of the few sports where you need exceptional coaches, or you're screwed.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
ive only seen one game on tv. i didnt understand it but it looked a lot better than american football.
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
Eh, tried it once, didn't like it.