Rugby is so stupid.

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="Carl_W21"]

You have to understand it, you clearly don't.

It's like someone who has always played rugby saying, "so I tried american football, it's so stupid, if you get taken down play stops for like 5 minutes, the full team has to switch all over you have to wear stupid padding and a helmet"

If you don't like it don't play, just beacuse you don't understand does not make it stupid. Not many sports are stupid, I do not fully understand American football or Hockey, so therfore I do not watch it, and because I have not taken the time to understand it does not make it stupid, otherwise there wouldn't be millions of people linked to all these sports.

Carl_W21

The point of american football and hockey is to get the small object (ball/puck) to the other side, and in rugby that you can't pass forward makes that really dumb.

It would be to easy to score if you could pass forward !

That's what they have blocking for, but apparantly, that's against the rules.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Rugby is a great game.

All sports have specific rules of play.. if they didnt they' wouldnt be a sport. OR all sports would be the same sport. What you think is stupid is just the fact you're not familiar with it. I think you sound kind of silly in this thread. I don't really see what you're getting at.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#53 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I just went to the first rugby practice, I've never played before and had no idea how it works, so I was walking in pretty green, and the mechanics are so stupid.

You can only pass to a player if they are behind you going toward your endzone, that's right. It is completely counter-intuitive to the way most sports games work.

You can't block anyone in order to help your teammate get across the field, that results in a penalty. You can't try and get the ball during a tackle unless its not under the teammates legs. The game is more about following dumb rules that make no sense than it is about scoring, it's so stupid.

To me, a sport or a game has to have rules that make sense and make the game better, not worse. I didn't really like it at all and will probably never play the game again.

Have you played rugby? Have you watched it? What do you think of it?

We developed our own style of football, partly from rugby. But NCAA and NFL football rocks and rules.:P

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Rugby is no more nonsensical than any other sport. And any sport has its fair share of arbitrary rules.

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

You sound angry.

Is this game even worth defending so zealously?

i'm not angry i just think it's stupid to quit before you learn anything about it and go around calling it a stupid sport

The guy was explaining all these rules to me and I was thinking "wtf?"

Games/sports should be simple, not have weird rules for the sake of having weird rules.

Gimmick. That's the word I was looking for.

So basically you were too stupid to pick up the rules and you have now come on here saying "rugby sux its toooo ahrd and makes no senses!!!!!!". You have to pass backwards so that you can run forwards. How hard is that? Instead of throwing a ball 20 yards, stopping because you are so obese, and the swapping teams and having a nice sit before you do anything; rugby actually makes you work.
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

[QUOTE="Carl_W21"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

The point of american football and hockey is to get the small object (ball/puck) to the other side, and in rugby that you can't pass forward makes that really dumb.

It would be to easy to score if you could pass forward !

That's what they have blocking for, but apparantly, that's against the rules.

So, basically you wanted it to be football? Quite different sports really, rugby is about strategy, stamina, and strength...wheras, american football is about...laziness, body armor, and boredom.
SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

[QUOTE="Parandrus"]I think you'll like it more once you get used to it.avatar_genius

I don't like things that don't follow good logic and make sense. It's almost like the game wants its players to be worse at the game than better.

Soccer, basketball, and football are so much more fun. I didn't have fun. I would rather spend 10 hours kicking a soccer ball into a net than practicing a rugby drill.

It's like some people created the game just to be nonconformist.

Soccer doesn't follow good logic. If it did you could just pick up the ball.

Taegukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 Taegukki
Member since 2005 • 13241 Posts

That's the whole point of rugby, it's not supposed to be a namby-pamby girl sport. It's harder and that makes it a better game. Perhaps you're better suited to soccer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 avatar_genius

Yeah, to be honest, rugby would be more fun if it played more like american football, because american football follows a simple pattern of logic, get the ball to the other end. There are a few different ways to do it, running plays, passing plays, interceptions, etc. It sets up a few simple guidelines and lets the players and coaches etc take the game into their own hands.

One person mentioned the word "restrictive," and I agree, the game is quite restrictive. The rules are more comedic and gimmicky than useful and sensical. I am dissapointed at what a joke the rules of rugby turned out to be, it's weird and just lame. You can't block? Seriously? Wtf? Most games are about war, rugby is about stupid rules.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 avatar_genius

That's the whole point of rugby, it's not supposed to be a namby-pamby girl sport. It's harder and that makes it a better game. Perhaps you're better suited to soccer.

Taegukki

I happen to love namby-pamby girl sports. Football, basketball, and soccer are great games and I love 'em.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Yeah, to be honest, rugby would be more fun if it played more like american football, because american football follows a simple pattern of logic, get the ball to the other end. There are a few different ways to do it, running plays, passing plays, interceptions, etc. It sets up a few simple guidelines and lets the players and coaches etc take the game into their own hands.

Let's look at some of the arbitrary rules in football (off the top of my head):

-Offensive players can't grab opponents.

-Only eligible recievers are allowed to catch passes.

-The tuck rule.

-You can only throw the ball forward once.

-Offensive linemen can't move once set, but the defense can move as much as they want.

-Illegal formations.

-You can't throw the ball forward after you cross the line of scrimmage.

-All QB-specific contact rules.

-The ground can't cause a fumble.

-Defensive players can only make contact with recievers at the line of scrimmage.

-The game stops after every play. The offense then has 40 seconds (in the NFL anyway) to restart play.

-No horse collar tackles.

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

Rugby has those rules so it's challenging. If you could pass forward and break your line then the game would turn into a stupid point-fest with no strategy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

PBSnipes

Let's look at some of the arbitrary rules in football (off the top of my head):

-Offensive players can't grab opponents.

-Only eligible recievers are allowed to catch passes.

-The tuck rule.

-You can only throw the ball forward once.

-Offensive linemen can't move once set, but the defense can move as much as they want.

-Illegal formations.

-You can't throw the ball forward after you cross the line of scrimmage.

-All QB-specific contact rules.

-The ground can't cause a fumble.

-Defensive players can only make contact with recievers at the line of scrimmage.

-The game stops after every play. The offense then has 40 seconds (in the NFL anyway) to restart play.

-No horse collar tackles.

Fair criticisms, sir. 8)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58409 Posts

I just went to the first rugby practice, I've never played before and had no idea how it works, so I was walking in pretty green, and the mechanics are so stupid.

You can only pass to a player if they are behind you

You can't block anyone

You can't try and get the ball during a tackle

Have you played rugby? Have you watched it? What do you think of it?

Its not American Football, man. Get over it.

With that said, I enjoy watching rugby. I also think the rules are there for a reason, and you will enjoy the game a lot more after a few more practices. Im actually planning on playing rugby as soon as I reach my weight goal.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Rugby, Basketball, and soccer are the sports I like. And I absoulutely hate football. I don't think a person could make a more slow paced game. It takes a freaking quarter to score sometimes and the whole point of the game is to get to one side of the field, makes me go crazy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 mrbojangles25

Rugby, Basketball, and soccer are the sports I like. And I absoulutely hate football. I don't think a person could make a more slow paced game. It takes a freaking quarter to score sometimes and the whole point of the game is to get to one side of the field, makes me go crazy.

magnax1

thats an extremely poor argument considering most soccer games go 90 minutes or whatever with only 2 goals per side, if that. I do enjoy soccer, though.

Anyway, I agree, american football is a little slow but that is kind of the point. Its more about strategy; seeing your position, formulating an appropriate play as the offense, and countering it as the defense. Slow, yes...but dull and uninteresting, no. Its like a turn-based strategy game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 avatar_genius

I'm not gonna lie.

When the guy was trying to explain the rules and gameplay to me today, I thought "Why?"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mrbojangles25

I'm not gonna lie.

When the guy was trying to explain the rules and gameplay to me today, I thought "Why?"

its good to question "Why?", just dont be negative about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

I'm not gonna lie.

mrbojangles25

It would be better if you could be more aggressive with it, that's why I don't like it, that's why I'll stick to things like basketball, football, and soccer and avoid this game. Aggression and competition in a sport should be encouraged, not discouraged and even "penalized."

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Must be another one of those people who suck at the game and then blame it on the rules. Well done.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 avatar_genius

Must be another one of those people who suck at the game and then blame it on the rules. Well done.

October_Tide

The rules should be better so that they make sense, not so they're bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

After reading all your comments I am guessing that you are either a.) An idiot, b.) a troll or c.) Both a.) and b.). The rules make sense in context of the game, just as soccer rules make sense in soccer, american football rules make sense in american football, hockey rules make sense in hockey, extreme sauna rules make sense in extreme sauna and on and on and on and on and on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

October_Tide

After reading all your comments I am guessing that you are either a.) An idiot, b.) a troll or c.) Both a.) and b.). The rules make sense in context of the game, just as soccer rules make sense in soccer, american football rules make sense in american football, hockey rules make sense in hockey, extreme sauna rules make sense in extreme sauna and on and on and on and on and on.

Some games just plain have dumb rules, that's how it is. Have you even seen and/or played rugby? Do you know how it works?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

Some games just plain have dumb rules, that's how it is. Have you even seen and/or played rugby? Do you know how it works?

I have played rugby/league and I also watch it, I follow the rules with no problem at all. Same goes for other sports like soccer and Tennis. By the sounds of things, you are just angry because it doesn't have rules similar to American Football.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

October_Tide

I have played rugby/league and I also watch it, I follow the rules with no problem at all. Same goes for other sports like soccer and Tennis. By the sounds of things, you are just angry because it doesn't have rules similar to American Football.

I don't like it because it is needlessly difficult.

I can play other sports like soccer and basketball just fine, but rugby is just weird. The logic is backwards, I don't like it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

I can play other sports like soccer and basketball just fine, but rugby is just weird. The logic is backwards, I don't like it.

You pass backwards instead of forwards, therefore the logic behind the game is backwards? lulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

October_Tide

You pass backwards instead of forwards, therefore the logic behind the game is backwards? lulz

Coincidence?

Like I said, the game feels compulsively nonconformist.

Anything obvious is against the rules, like no blocking allowed and passing backwards.

Avatar image for imthemostwanted
imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 imthemostwanted
Member since 2008 • 988 Posts
dude watch an All Blacks game. then you'll understand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

Coincidence?

Anything obvious is against the rules, like no blocking allowed and passing backwards.

You seem contempt on hating on the game because it isn't american football. I don't know why you have it in your head that being different in rules makes it non-conformist. Non-conformist in terms of what? How would blocking be an obvious rule in rugby? I really don't see your point.

imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 imthemostwanted

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Rugby is great. If all sports had different rules then there wouldn't be many different sports. Don't hate the game dude, hate the player. If you don't understand or can't play than that doesn't mean the sport sucks. avatar_genius

There's no point to it, it's just a dumb game with dumb mechanics that don't make sense.

The game isn't "badass" at all. They say it's more violent than football, but probably only because of the lack of padding, which doesn't make it inherently more violent.

dude there was a guy who was captain of the new zealand teem back in the seventies who got his nutsack torn open and so he got it stapled back together and kept on playing. don't you wear a box in football? there's no way football is more violent.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]Rugby is great. If all sports had different rules then there wouldn't be many different sports. Don't hate the game dude, hate the player. If you don't understand or can't play than that doesn't mean the sport sucks. imthemostwanted

There's no point to it, it's just a dumb game with dumb mechanics that don't make sense.

The game isn't "badass" at all. They say it's more violent than football, but probably only because of the lack of padding, which doesn't make it inherently more violent.

dude there was a guy who was captain of the new zealand teem back in the seventies who got his nutsack torn open and so he got it stapled back together and kept on playing. don't you wear a box in football? there's no way football is more violent.

BRING BACK BUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 imthemostwanted

[QUOTE="imthemostwanted"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]There's no point to it, it's just a dumb game with dumb mechanics that don't make sense.

October_Tide

seriously the hardest man that ever lived :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="imthemostwanted"] dude there was a guy who was captain of the new zealand teem back in the seventies who got his nutsack torn open and so he got it stapled back together and kept on playing. don't you wear a box in football? there's no way football is more violent.imthemostwanted

There will never be another like him, unless someones scrotum gets torn open and they play on hence creating BUCK SHELFORD v2.0

imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 imthemostwanted

[QUOTE="imthemostwanted"][QUOTE="October_Tide"]

October_Tide

There will never be another like him, unless someones scrotum gets torn open and they play on hence creating BUCK SHELFORD v2.0

or if it was torn OFF...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="imthemostwanted"] seriously the hardest man that ever lived :Dimthemostwanted

or if it was torn OFF...

I do declare that to be even better.

links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

Coincidence?

if every sport was challenge-less then why would you play it? Passing backwards and no blocking gives it more of a challenge and to get people to work as a team rather than as individuals. I mean could you imagine if soccer had no offside, hockey had no blue line, football had no line of scrimmage, or a basketball hoop five feet wide? I mean why do those things exist? They go against logic

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="imthemostwanted"][QUOTE="October_Tide"]

October_Tide

or if it was torn OFF...

Im sorry, but I find anyone with such reckless disregard for his manhood so overwhelmingly stupid it cancels out any manliness.

THere is nothing "hard" about someone saying "Testicles? Meh, who needs 'em"

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

Anyway how can rugby feel non-conformist compared to gridiron? Rugby has been around longer than the USA has been a country.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="imthemostwanted"] or if it was torn OFF...mrbojangles25

Im sorry, but I find anyone with such reckless disregard for his manhood so overwhelmingly stupid it cancels out any manliness.

It's called dedication to the game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

October_Tide

and again, I ask: what about dedication to your nuts?

dying for your country I can understand. Cutting out a kidney so a family member can live I can understand.

but losing your nuts, or even coming close to risking them, for a game played for amusement above all else, is just insane, stupid, and silly. I suppose the principle of such loyalty can be appealing, but still...the practical example is just horrible.

imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 imthemostwanted

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

dying for your country I can understand. Cutting out a kidney so a family member can live I can understand.

but losing your nuts, or even coming close to risking them, for a game played for amusement above all else, is just insane, stupid, and silly. I suppose the principle of such loyalty can be appealing, but still...the practical example is just horrible.

mate thats just what us kiwis are like :D
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

imthemostwanted

mate thats just what us kiwis are like :D

kiwis dont care about their...kiwis?

that cawazy! :P

NatoKenichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 NatoKenichi
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

Rugby is stupid. I hate the sport personally. :/

-SPECTER-MIKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 -SPECTER-MIKE
Member since 2008 • 576 Posts

The game is seriously one big gimmick. There are better sports to play.

Gimmick? It has been played for hundreds of years.
-SPECTER-MIKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 -SPECTER-MIKE

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

I'm not gonna lie.

It would be better if you could be more aggressive with it, that's why I don't like it, that's why I'll stick to things like basketball, football, and soccer and avoid this game. Aggression and competition in a sport should be encouraged, not discouraged and even "penalized."

This is one of the most aggressive sports there is, pick up the ball and run.
-SPECTER-MIKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 -SPECTER-MIKE

One person mentioned the word "restrictive," and I agree, the game is quite restrictive. The rules are more comedic and gimmicky than useful and sensical. I am dissapointed at what a joke the rules of rugby turned out to be, it's weird and just lame. You can't block? Seriously? Wtf? Most games are about war, rugby is about stupid rules.

If it played more like football, then it would be football. I am not trying to get you to play, just see that the game is more than you make it to be.
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I dont like rugby either but i at least like it more than baseball.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#98 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

I think so as well. :P

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Rugby's not a bad sport

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
I hate rugby. I hate to play it. I hate to watch it. I hate rugby.