More women get advanced degrees than men

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forza4Champion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Forza4Champion
Member since 2011 • 722 Posts
I think its great.more power to them.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#52 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

Nope, men would be stay-at-home-dads, working either part-time or full-time homemaker.

topsemag55

Yeah. I got that part. Where does WWII fit in to that?

In both cases, men were gone from the workforce - one was a war, now it's doing the home bit.

Obviously, these are different situations. There was a world war going on and women were working in factories to produce military armaments. Basically, they had to. I don't think that's a good comparison.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

Of course they have more degrees, its usually hotter in the kitchen.*

*Joke, please don't kill me.

tenaka2

hah. good one :P

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
well more guys are understanding and willing to put their ambitions on hold to help their wives get ahead....my wife had her MBA before I had my Masters....
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Meh, many of the degree's women are getting are typical liberal art/ social science degrees, so it's really not that big a deal. Men still dominate the important fields (engineering, medicine, financial, etc).

SolidSnake35

Arts > Science.

LOL what? I'm an art student and I love it, but to get a degree in physics would be my dream. Science gets us somewhere unlike arts.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#57 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
Itt: boys feeling threatened by girls.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
Itt: boys feeling threatened by girls.BiancaDK
only if their penis is bigger than mine.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

wow this thread is surprisingly full of facepalm.

Especially with the whole art vs science debate going on. Intelligent people know the answer to this question already.

Seems to me like people on here limit themselves to only have one perspective on things. Thats a clear weakness.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I think it's been like that in the UK for a while. However with degrees the subject is far more important than the level or grade, a low passing degree in medecine or engineering is worth more than a high masters in media studies.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

I will conceed some points to you. Currently, the job market favors people with more technical backgrounds such as math and science. However, there is still good value in a liberal arts education - our societies need it for culture and such. Historians, musicians, artists, philosophers, etc.

sonicare
Those require talent... or in the case of the media industry a large marketing budget. A degree dosn't create talent it just gives you a certificate. You can have a degree in music and be able to identify all the technical qualities but the only part that really matters is the quality of music you create.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
No reasonably intelligent person could make the statement that Arts > Science and be serious.clayron
When talking about education, I think it is reasonable. Many people who take science degrees have nothing special to offer humanity. They just hide behind the little facts they learned and offer them to the job market, crying.. ooh pick me, pick me.. I can become your little drone. Psh. Anyone can be moulded for these kinds of purposes, including arts students.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
what happens if I'm a man and get a bachelors? I defy the statistics oh no
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#64 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

I will conceed some points to you. Currently, the job market favors people with more technical backgrounds such as math and science. However, there is still good value in a liberal arts education - our societies need it for culture and such. Historians, musicians, artists, philosophers, etc.

markop2003
Those require talent... or in the case of the media industry a large marketing budget. A degree dosn't create talent it just gives you a certificate. You can have a degree in music and be able to identify all the technical qualities but the only part that really matters is the quality of music you create.

You dont always need talent. There are many bad writers out there that sell tons of books. Look at the Twilight series.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
[QUOTE="clayron"] No reasonably intelligent person could make the statement that Arts > Science and be serious.SolidSnake35
When talking about education, I think it is reasonable. Many people who take science degrees have nothing special to offer humanity. They just hide behind the little facts they learned and offer them to the job market, crying.. ooh pick me, pick me.. I can become your little drone. Psh. Anyone can be moulded for these kinds of purposes, including arts students.

Your right, doctors don't help people in the slightest.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="clayron"] No reasonably intelligent person could make the statement that Arts > Science and be serious.tenaka2

Your right, doctors don't help people in the slightest.

I said that, didn't I?
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 branketra
[QUOTE="clayron"] No reasonably intelligent person could make the statement that Arts > Science and be serious.SolidSnake35

Are you saying that black holes and the theory of relativity would have been eventually found out, just because everyone was doing it? You might be right, but there are geniuses in many fields. If it weren't for them, we might still be waiting for CDs to come out.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="clayron"] No reasonably intelligent person could make the statement that Arts > Science and be serious.thegerg

It's not reasonable if the logic you use to justify your statement can be as easily said about arts students.

Arts students typically don't claim to be superior.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I'm cool with it. I'd rather stay home and do house work anyway.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="clayron"] No reasonably intelligent person could make the statement that Arts > Science and be serious.BranKetra

Are you saying that black holes and the theory of relativity would have been eventually found out, just because everyone was doing it? You might be right, but there are geniuses in many fields. If it weren't for them, we might still be waiting for CDs to come out.

Yes, there are. And the geniuses in science are the greatest of all geniuses. But I don't credit that to the "learning" of science, so to speak... I credit the person. Most people who study science are replaceable by those who study the arts. So having a science degree is not inherently better than having an arts degree.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 branketra
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] When talking about education, I think it is reasonable. Many people who take science degrees have nothing special to offer humanity. They just hide behind the little facts they learned and offer them to the job market, crying.. ooh pick me, pick me.. I can become your little drone. Psh. Anyone can be moulded for these kinds of purposes, including arts students.

Yes, there are. And the geniuses in science are the greatest of all geniuses. But I don't credit that to the "learning" of science, so to speak... I credit the person. Most people who study science are replaceable by those who study the arts. So having a science degree is not inherently better than having an arts degree.

I think I get it. It all comes down to what each person wants to do. Voluntarily armies are better, right?
POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]good. that raises the chances that i get a girl who makes tons of money so i can stay home and be a house husbandFusionmix

And there, ladies and gents, is the reason we go out and get jobs: To avoid useless a-holes like you. This increases your desire to stay home and avoid evil b****es like us.

Win/win situation, especially the part where we kick you out ;)

yeah but when women were the stay at home moms we men were out working then would go out and spend hard earned money and would be with other women and spend money on them not you.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] Are you saying that black holes and the theory of relativity would have been eventually found out, just because everyone was doing it? You might be right, but there are geniuses in many fields. If it weren't for them, we might still be waiting for CDs to come out.

I think I get it. It all comes down to what each person wants to do. Voluntarily armies are better, right?

Yeah.. and I find it very frustrating when people will tsk at my degree despite having little to no interest in what they actually study.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] Are you saying that black holes and the theory of relativity would have been eventually found out, just because everyone was doing it? You might be right, but there are geniuses in many fields. If it weren't for them, we might still be waiting for CDs to come out.thegerg

Most who study arts are replacable by those that study sciences. None of what you are saying supports your arts>sciences claim.

You are right... but I give the edge to those that study the arts because they dared to study what they were interested in. Again, I don't doubt that some people love science but... I see too many people who choose their degrees because "it's just the thing to do".
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]I think I get it. It all comes down to what each person wants to do. Voluntarily armies are better, right?thegerg
Yeah.. and I find it very frustrating when people will tsk at my degree despite having little to no interest in what they actually study.

How many people really do that, though?

A lot... especially international students, I have found. They think philosophy is funny... but they study something like finance and they can't tell me why they chose it or why anyone should care about such things.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Most who study arts are replacable by those that study sciences. None of what you are saying supports your arts>sciences claim.thegerg
You are right... but I give the edge to those that study the arts because they dared to study what they were interested in. Again, I don't doubt that some people love science but... I see too many people who choose their degrees because "it's just the thing to do".

That doesn't support your claim either, it just demonstrates your prejudices.

It does support my claim. Science is good and all, but a science degree is only as good as the person studying it. Maybe you should defend the opposite claim, that science is superior to arts.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Half-Way

this science vs art argument really needs to stop.

An person who claims to be intelligent would pick science

An person who claims to be creative would pick art

An wise person would take both. you cant divide human thoughtinto pieces and then claim one piece is more important then the other.

Science has done alot for mankind. But god knows how many of those theories and principles would actually be developed if it wasent for creative thinking.

It takes some imagination to think outside the box. Imagine if Einstein, Da Vinci, Nicola tesla or Archimedes thought the same as everyone else at their time, istead of comeing up with new ideas.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="thegerg"] That doesn't support your claim either, it just demonstrates your prejudices.thegerg

It does support my claim. Science is good and all, but a science degree is only as good as the person studying it. Maybe you should defend the opposite claim, that science is superior to arts.

No, it doesn't support your claim that arts>science. An arts degree is only as gtood as the person studying it too, in no way does it make arts better than sciences.

Why should I defend the claim that sciences are better than arts? It's not true. One of them is not better than the other. Suchclaims are ridiculous and ignorant.

Hmm. Well, I believe I started out by saying Arts > Science in response to Science > Arts... just to stoke the fire.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Half-Way

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="thegerg"] That doesn't support your claim either, it just demonstrates your prejudices.thegerg

No, it doesn't support your claim that arts>science. An arts degree is only as gtood as the person studying it too, in no way does it make arts better than sciences.

Why should I defend the claim that sciences are better than arts? It's not true. One of them is not better than the other. Suchclaims are ridiculous and ignorant.

to SolidSnake35 defence, this only started because of some comment about science being more important then art

EDIT; im slow :P

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="thegerg"]No, it doesn't support your claim that arts>science. An arts degree is only as gtood as the person studying it too, in no way does it make arts better than sciences.

thegerg

Hmm. Well, I believe I started out by saying Arts > Science in response to Science > Arts... just to stoke the fire.

Once agin, that doesn't support your claim either. Simply because someone else is as wrong as you doesn't make you right.

I have learned never to make claims I cannot support again.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Smart women are hot.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

fire stoking post

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] Yes, there are. And the geniuses in science are the greatest of all geniuses. But I don't credit that to the "learning" of science, so to speak... I credit the person. Most people who study science are replaceable by those who study the arts. So having a science degree is not inherently better than having an arts degree.SolidSnake35
Most who study arts are replacable by those that study sciences. None of what you are saying supports your arts>sciences claim.

and i would give the edge to those that study science because they could actually cut it doing a science degree
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

fire stoking post

surrealnumber5

Pretty much what I thought it would be. Though I am a bit surprised to see agriculture number.

DJjoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DJjoey
Member since 2004 • 1160 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Most who study arts are replacable by those that study sciences. None of what you are saying supports your arts>sciences claim.Richymisiak

and i would give the edge to those that study science because they could actually cut it doing a science degree

What are you talking about? Getting an average science degree is in absolutely, not a single way, not even SLIGHTLY harder than getting an average arts degree, assuming you are interested in whatever you're studying.

Someone who loves movies, but studies biochemistry because he wants to be rich isn't going to have an easy time, just like someone who's a genius at math, but studies music because he wants to "be cool" isn't going to have an easy time either.

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
[QUOTE="DJjoey"][QUOTE="Richymisiak"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] You are right... but I give the edge to those that study the arts because they dared to study what they were interested in. Again, I don't doubt that some people love science but... I see too many people who choose their degrees because "it's just the thing to do".

What are you talking about? Taking a getting an average science degree is in absolutely, not a single way, not even SLIGHTLY harder than getting an average arts degree, assuming you are interested in whatever you're studying. Someone who loves movies, but studies biochemistry because he wants to be rich isn't going to have an easy time, just like someone who's a genius at math, but studies music because he wants to "be cool" isn't going to have an easy time either.

i was combating a completely narrow minded and flwaed argument with an equally narrow mined and flawed one
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] Yeah.. and I find it very frustrating when people will tsk at my degree despite having little to no interest in what they actually study.SolidSnake35
How many people really do that, though?

A lot... especially international students, I have found. They think philosophy is funny... but they study something like finance and they can't tell me why they chose it or why anyone should care about such things.

What are you going to do with a philosophy degree though? It has little meaning aside from pretty decoration. Studying what you're interested in is great, but what practical use does a philosophy degree have, unless you plan to teach philosophy?
CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

[QUOTE="DJjoey"][QUOTE="Richymisiak"] and i would give the edge to those that study science because they could actually cut it doing a science degreeRichymisiak
What are you talking about? Taking a getting an average science degree is in absolutely, not a single way, not even SLIGHTLY harder than getting an average arts degree, assuming you are interested in whatever you're studying. Someone who loves movies, but studies biochemistry because he wants to be rich isn't going to have an easy time, just like someone who's a genius at math, but studies music because he wants to "be cool" isn't going to have an easy time either.

i was combating a completely narrow minded and flwaed argument with an equally narrow mined and flawed one

But that is what SolidSnake35 was doing. If you guys keep combating "completely narrow minded and flawed arguments" with intentionally "equally narrow minded and flawed" ones, what do you expect to come out of this argument? I just don't understand this tactic.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"][QUOTE="DJjoey"] What are you talking about? Taking a getting an average science degree is in absolutely, not a single way, not even SLIGHTLY harder than getting an average arts degree, assuming you are interested in whatever you're studying. Someone who loves movies, but studies biochemistry because he wants to be rich isn't going to have an easy time, just like someone who's a genius at math, but studies music because he wants to "be cool" isn't going to have an easy time either.CammiTac

But that is what SolidSnake35 was doing. If you guys keep combating "completely narrow minded and flawed arguments" with intentionally "equally narrow minded and flawed" ones, what do you expect to come out of this argument? I just don't understand this tactic.

It's troll logic. Make the argument as simple and flawed until the other side forfeits from either anger, or not being able to combat such a simple and flawed argument.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Didn't know making dinner and cleaning required a degree.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="thegerg"] How many people really do that, though?

What are you going to do with a philosophy degree though? It has little meaning aside from pretty decoration. Studying what you're interested in is great, but what practical use does a philosophy degree have, unless you plan to teach philosophy?

Having a philosophy degree shows that I have reading and writing skills far superior to most other graduates and an ability to think logically. These skills would make me a good candidate for lots of jobs. I have considered staying in academia... I'm doing a masters next year.... but, if I don't become a lectureer, I'd probably think about politics, journalism or law. I bet there are plenty of jobs I'm capable of.