More women get advanced degrees than men

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#251 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Of course they do, men have to go out and earn a living, bring home the bacon. They have no desire to sit in classroom all day and listen to some professor tell them they are reason the world is such a stink hole.
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

Without reading whatever it is you posted, or actually knowing any numbers, I can honestly say I believe it.

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
Now, seeing this thread is the first place, show's me someones a little bit jealous or something. Just because women are getting more degrees doesn't mean they're smarter in any way. Not at ALL. In my professional male opinion, We are just lazier. I could be getting straight A's in my classes. But i don't feel like putting the effort in. I COULD get myself to a position to make big changes in the world... But i don't feel like putting in the effort to accomplish this. The way I see it, There are too many negative people who like to sit there and cough in your face saying you amount nothing but a pebble just so they can work their slithery ass up the chain. The person I am, I'd be too busy beating those kinds of people instead of doing my job.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#255 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Now, seeing this thread is the first place, show's me someones a little bit jealous or something. Just because women are getting more degrees doesn't mean they're smarter in any way. Not at ALL. In my professional male opinion, We are just lazier. I could be getting straight A's in my classes. But i don't feel like putting the effort in. I COULD get myself to a position to make big changes in the world... But i don't feel like putting in the effort to accomplish this. Lost-Memory

lol Anyone can say "'I can get straight A's in any classes if I want to, but I dont like to study hard"

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#256 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Itt: boys feeling threatened by girls.BiancaDK

True that! Well the on-topic part of the thread anyway.

Regarding the Arts vs. Science thingy, my degree was a joint major, Archaeology & History. And I can safely say that the history side of it taught me more about the world and living in it then the arts side ever did. Of course had I gone on to become an archaeologist, the lab stuff and sciencey things would have come in handy, but since I didn't go into the career that my vocational education was geared towards the learning I received in that area was actually very narrow. Practically speaking, anyway (if you need someone to categorize microscopic mollusc shells or fossilized pollen, though, I'm your gal!).

The history side of my degree (the arts) taught me infinite things about humans and the human race, and gave me insight and understanding into different cultures as well as characters, and generally enabled me to form more educated opinions which have aided me significantly in advancing quite comfortably career-wise. It also taught me about politics, law and legislation, the complex art of debating and importance of solid facts and sources - not to mention having to master the language of a good essay, which has helped me in numerous situations, from complaints letters to job applications.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#257 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]Itt: boys feeling threatened by girls.MissLibrarian

True that! Well the on-topic part of the thread anyway.

Regarding the Arts vs. Science thingy, my degree was a joint major, Archaeology & History. And I can safely say that the history side of it taught me more about the world and living in it then the arts side ever did. Of course had I gone on to become an archaeologist, the lab stuff and sciencey things would have come in handy, but since I didn't go into the career that my vocational education was geared towards the learning I received in that area was actually very narrow. Practically speaking, anyway (if you need someone to categorize microscopic mollusc shells or fossilized pollen, though, I'm your gal!).

The history side of my degree (the arts) taught me infinite things about humans and the human race, and gave me insight and understanding into different cultures as well as characters, and generally enabled me to form more educated opinions which have aided me significantly in advancing quite comfortably career-wise. It also taught me about politics, law and legislation, the complex art of debating and importance of solid facts and sources - not to mention having to master the language of a good essay, which has helped me in numerous situations, from complaints letters to job applications.

Sounds like you've done well.:)

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Advanced sandwhich-making degrees? :P

I didn't bother reading the thread, I can only assume this joke was made 100 times already.

DaJuicyMan

Damnit beat me too it

And I thought the same thing :lol: Art of making Sammiches is a degree everyone can use...especially women

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 MissLibrarian

topsemag55
Yes it's really helped me appreciate my kitchen.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

Advanced sandwhich-making degrees? :P

I didn't bother reading the thread, I can only assume this joke was made 100 times already.

ChubbyGuy40

Damnit beat me too it

And I thought the same thing :lol: Art of making Sammiches is a degree everyone can use...especially women

You dont even need a degree to become a Sandwich artist 8)

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

MissLibrarian
Yes it's really helped me appreciate my kitchen.

I just schnorked aloud. How undignified.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

Nibroc420
Sure you do, just means he got a BA in Sandwich Arts, rather than a BS in Sandwich Engineering
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

blah blah kitchen blah blah sandwich blah blah

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

xaos

Sure you do, just means he got a BA in Sandwich Arts, rather than a BS in Sandwich Engineering

I'd rather engineer the tasiest sammich, than make the prettiest most artistic one.;)

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 MissLibrarian
I just schnorked aloud. How undignified.xaos
I feel truly blessed.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"] I don't disagree with that at all. Very few make it in the art world. If I had a choice between engineering degree and art degree. I would choose engineering in a heartbeat. But both sides are trying to downplay both so bad. I just see more of the attack from the science side.MgamerBD

Yeah, us science nerds can get "high and mighty" sometimes. I guess bashing all those fun loving arts students makes us feel better about being stressed out by our science educations :P

its only above average because someone brings the average down. I understand...even though science majors will most likely make a nice living, and an above average paycheck in the future. Those art students have tons of sex in college. I can't blame you. :P

jak275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 jak275
Member since 2007 • 431 Posts
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Yes, it will do nothing. Absolutely nothing. Seriously? What is this tripe you scientists are coming out with?SolidSnake35

Why do you take them seriously? (: You know as well as I do that their claims are, objectively speaking, unsubstantiated, which is - well - ironic to say the least.

I have a burning desire in my heart to help these lost souls.

You don't need to help us, we'll be helping you by paying your unemployment. :P
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#268 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"] Because the stuff you learn will automatically pay your bills, am I right? :roll: thegerg

Absolutely not. Haha I am majorly screwed but its okay with me.

Weren't you earlier going on about the importance of being happy? Now you're going on about how screwed and scared you are. You seem to be very confused.

If you arent at least a little bit afraid of your future, youre lying to yourself.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#270 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

How many of them are non-traditional students (older)? I'd be willing to bet the amount of women getting degrees are older, especially Bachelor's or Master's, which is enough to push things in favor of women.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

That just means better girl to guy ratio at college and college cities! 4 girls to every guy at parties...i can hope :P

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Nibroc420

That just means better girl to guy ratio at college and college cities! 4 girls to every guy at parties...i can hope :P

edinsftw
Except they're probs all old and gross :(
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 edinsftw

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

Nibroc420

Err no, i went back to college 2 years ago and they were not. Well mabey in the east where they are all pasty white.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="edinsftw"]

edinsftw

Err no, i went back to college 2 years ago and they were not. Well mabey in the east where they are all pasty white.

Well from what i hear the wimmins who're getting these "advanced degrees" are older.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 edinsftw

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Except they're probs all old and gross :(Nibroc420

Well from what i hear the wimmins who're getting these "advanced degrees" are older.

Mabey because the advanced degrees take like 4-8 years?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="edinsftw"]

edinsftw

exactly, which means they're older ;)
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 edinsftw

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Well from what i hear the wimmins who're getting these "advanced degrees" are older.Nibroc420

exactly, which means they're older ;)

Not old enough to not have a 'fun' time with.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

The history side of my degree (the arts)

MissLibrarian
History is a social science not an art.