This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Chloroformality
Chloroformality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Chloroformality
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts
Punk sucks...
generic_brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 generic_brand
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
Metal sucks. So does Punk. I prefer all things Rock.
MrPenguinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 MrPenguinKing
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts

Metal sucks. So does Punk. I prefer all things Rock.generic_brand

:|You realize how stupid and contradictory that comment is?

Punk ROCK. Metal is a genre of rock.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#204 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts
[QUOTE="zh666"]

[QUOTE="crucifine"]
Death did not start death metal. It was mostly by two seperate bands who ended up with a similar formula, Possessed, and Cryptic Slaughter. There are a few other bands who aren't as well known, but these two were essentially the first. Death elaborated on Possessed's formula, and Carcass (and others) elaborated on Cryptic Slaughter's formula.

And Luca Turilli is just an Italian Herman Li. Speed != complexity.crucifine

Cryptic Slaughter's first demo (the most death metal-y stuff they did) was released in 85, which is a little late... their importance is mostly felt on Thrash, Grindcore and Crossover rather than Death anyways...

Yeah, it's my understanding that death metal split off into two distinct sections, Death and Grind, before splitting off into numerous other little subgenres. Cryptic Slaughter was the first real Grind band, and Possessed (to me) was the first real Death band. My take on the whole thing at least. Definitely not Death, at least under his reasoning, or there must be some band out there called Black that no one's ever heard of while simultaneously being copied by thousands of Norwegian nerds.

I would say Hellhammer was the first Death Metal band and Repulsion is probably the first full on grind band.. Cryptic Slaughter is more of a crossover band like D.R.I.... Siege, Deep Wound, and a bunch of others are very important to grind, but I would say Repulsion is the first...  

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#205 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I'll consult my Windows Media Player Library for this one.

Punk: 6.7 hours, consisting of 9 albums from Green Day, Blink-182, and The Offspring

Metal: 27.5 hours, consisting of  27 albums from Death, Disturbed, Tool, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, In Flames, System of a Down, Dragonforce, and several others.

Besides, metal requires much more technical skill on your instrument than punk (though not always more musical talent). 

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#206 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

Punk: 6.7 hours, consisting of 9 albums from Green Day, Blink-182, and The Offspring

Metal: 27.5 hours, consisting of  27 albums from Death, Disturbed, Tool, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, In Flames, System of a Down, Dragonforce, and several others.

Besides, metal requires much more technical skill on your instrument than punk (though not always more musical talent). 

the_bi99man

Umm, Blink-182 and Green Day and the Offspring arn't really punk you know. Punk is the Misfits, Sex Pistols, The Clash and Buzzcocks. Well thats what my friend told me anyways.

crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#207 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts
[QUOTE="crucifine"][QUOTE="zh666"]

[QUOTE="crucifine"]
Death did not start death metal. It was mostly by two seperate bands who ended up with a similar formula, Possessed, and Cryptic Slaughter. There are a few other bands who aren't as well known, but these two were essentially the first. Death elaborated on Possessed's formula, and Carcass (and others) elaborated on Cryptic Slaughter's formula.

And Luca Turilli is just an Italian Herman Li. Speed != complexity.zh666

Cryptic Slaughter's first demo (the most death metal-y stuff they did) was released in 85, which is a little late... their importance is mostly felt on Thrash, Grindcore and Crossover rather than Death anyways...

Yeah, it's my understanding that death metal split off into two distinct sections, Death and Grind, before splitting off into numerous other little subgenres. Cryptic Slaughter was the first real Grind band, and Possessed (to me) was the first real Death band. My take on the whole thing at least. Definitely not Death, at least under his reasoning, or there must be some band out there called Black that no one's ever heard of while simultaneously being copied by thousands of Norwegian nerds.

You seem to have been involved in that scene since it's culmination, which I haven't.  I'm just going on what I know, which for someone without a couple decades of exposure, is certainly not omnipotence.  Cryptic Slaughter is just the earliest band in my library to have a Grind tinge, and Possessed is the earliest in my library to have a Death tinge.

I would say Hellhammer was the first Death Metal band and Repulsion is probably the first full on grind band.. Cryptic Slaughter is more of a crossover band like D.R.I.... Siege, Deep Wound, and a bunch of others are very important to grind, but I would say Repulsion is the first...

1337_ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 1337_ownage
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts
they all suck
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 zh666
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

Metal: 27.5 hours, consisting of 27 albums from Death, Disturbed, Tool, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, In Flames, System of a Down, Dragonforce, and several others.

tzar3

Umm, Blink-182 and Green Day and the Offspring arn't really punk you know. Punk is the Misfits, Sex Pistols, The Clash and Buzzcocks. Well thats what my friend told me anyways.

they're punk, atleast their early albums.. deal with it

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#210 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

tzar3

Eh. They show up as punk in my library. And if they're not, than I guess I don't punk at all, because that's about as punk as I can go before being thouroughly annoyed.

Anyways, just for the sake of contributing to the metal/metal sub-genre argument: I love metal. Just about all things metal (save for a little bit, like modern gore metal-cannibal corpse, for example, who are, imo, ranking in the worst bands ever to grace a stage). But it's all metal in my book. In my music library, there is metal. And that incorporates everything that could be called any kind of metal, from In Flames to Death, Shadows Fall to Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica to Tool, it's all metal in my book. I hate all the sub-genre labels because they make things way too confusing. And really, just about every metal band out there (every GOOD one) are so different from each other that they could all have their genre if you really want to be anal about it.

And since everyone seems to be referencing bands and songs, I'll reference a few from my library that I would say showcase metal at it's finest.

Tool - Right in Two - 10,000 Days (listen to it with "Intension" before, as an intro, for a freaking adventure)

Avenged Sevenfold - Sidewinder - City of Evil

Death - Flesh and the Power it Holds - Sound of Perserverance

In Flames - Man Made God - Colony

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Fear of the Dark

Metallica - Master of Puppets - Master of Puppets

Pantera - Mouth for War - Vulgar Display of Power

Shadows Fall - The Light that Blinds - The War Within

System of a Down - Chop Suey! - Toxicity

That list would have been a lot longer, but I chose not to list multiple songs from the same band. 

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 zh666

You seem to have been involved in that scene since it's culmination, which I haven't. I'm just going on what I know, which for someone without a couple decades of exposure, is certainly not omnipotence. Cryptic Slaughter is just the earliest band in my library to have a Grind tinge, and Possessed is the earliest in my library to have a Death tinge.crucifine

I've only been listening to Death Metal and Grind since the late 90s...

If you dig Cryptic Slaughter check out these bands:

Aggression: http://www.myspace.com/aggressionmetal (check out: By the Reaping Hook, blast beats from 86!)
Wehrmacht: http://www.myspace.com/unitedshoebrothers (same drummer as CS!)
Ludichrist: http://www.myspace.com/mostpeoplearedicks (another Crossover band that blasted like CS)
Soothsayer: http://www.myspace.com/troopsofhate (pretty good Crossover Thrash like the Accused)
Angkor Wat: http://www.myspace.com/angkorwatmusic (great Crossover with members of Nine Inch Nails and Skrew)
Dead Brain Cells: http://www.myspace.com/dbcdeadbraincells (underrated Canadian Crossover)
Deep Wound: http://www.myspace.com/deepwoundhc (important Hardcore band that probably influenced CS, features J. from Dinosaur Jr.)
Neon Christ: http://www.myspace.com/neonchristfartknocker (fast Hardcore punk with a few blasting moments, not the best song examples though)
Siege: http://www.myspace.com/siegehardcore (important early grind influence)

also check out the first two Corrosion of Conformity, The Accused, D.R.I., S.O.D. of course...

SS11SS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#212 SS11SS
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
Metal
Beaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Beaman
Member since 2005 • 7305 Posts
the suck
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#214 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts

[QUOTE="crucifine"]You seem to have been involved in that scene since it's culmination, which I haven't. I'm just going on what I know, which for someone without a couple decades of exposure, is certainly not omnipotence. Cryptic Slaughter is just the earliest band in my library to have a Grind tinge, and Possessed is the earliest in my library to have a Death tinge.zh666

I've only been listening to Death Metal and Grind since the late 90s...

If you dig Cryptic Slaughter check out these bands:

Aggression: http://www.myspace.com/aggressionmetal (check out: By the Reaping Hook, blast beats from 86!)
Wehrmacht: http://www.myspace.com/unitedshoebrothers (same drummer as CS!)
Ludichrist: http://www.myspace.com/mostpeoplearedicks (another Crossover band that blasted like CS)
Soothsayer: http://www.myspace.com/troopsofhate (pretty good Crossover Thrash like the Accused)
Angkor Wat: http://www.myspace.com/angkorwatmusic (great Crossover with members of Nine Inch Nails and Skrew)
Dead Brain Cells: http://www.myspace.com/dbcdeadbraincells (underrated Canadian Crossover)
Deep Wound: http://www.myspace.com/deepwoundhc (important Hardcore band that probably influenced CS, features J. from Dinosaur Jr.)
Neon Christ: http://www.myspace.com/neonchristfartknocker (fast Hardcore punk with a few blasting moments, not the best song examples though)
Siege: http://www.myspace.com/siegehardcore (important early grind influence)

also check out the first two Corrosion of Conformity, The Accused, D.R.I., S.O.D. of course...

thanks will do.  bookmarked this page so i don't forget it. 

PPFortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 PPFortune
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
Metal, especially NU Metal such as Linkin Park.
generic_brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 generic_brand

[QUOTE="generic_brand"]Metal sucks. So does Punk. I prefer all things Rock.MrPenguinKing

yeah, i just noticed that. I was leaving in a hurry and wanted to get my level up a little bit before I left to go somewhere.

I prefer everything mainstream rock. No loud screaming crap, no emo, no punk. Just good stuff like Led Zepplin, AC-DC, and Aerosmith.

blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 blackslim3000
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts
[QUOTE="MrPenguinKing"]

[QUOTE="generic_brand"]Metal sucks. So does Punk. I prefer all things Rock.generic_brand

yeah, i just noticed that. I was leaving in a hurry and wanted to get my level up a little bit before I left to go somewhere.

I prefer everything mainstream rock. No loud screaming crap, no emo, no punk. Just good stuff like Led Zepplin, AC-DC, and Aerosmith.

Aerosmith has screaming... 

generic_brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 generic_brand
[QUOTE="generic_brand"][QUOTE="MrPenguinKing"]

[QUOTE="generic_brand"]Metal sucks. So does Punk. I prefer all things Rock.blackslim3000

yes, and so does a lot of mainstream rock. Metal has way more though. Screaming is not music. Screaming is.... well.... screaming.

blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="blackslim3000"][QUOTE="generic_brand"][QUOTE="MrPenguinKing"]

[QUOTE="generic_brand"]Metal sucks. So does Punk. I prefer all things Rock.generic_brand

yes, and so does a lot of mainstream rock. Metal has way more though. Screaming is not music. Screaming is.... well.... screaming.

Ok, but not all punk has screaming, neither is it emo. I'm assuming that by punk you're thinking about mainstream punk bands, because there are a lot of other non-mainstream bands that are great 

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts
[QUOTE="blackslim3000"][QUOTE="generic_brand"][QUOTE="MrPenguinKing"]

Of course screaming is music. You may not be used to it, but it's still music.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Yeah, not all sub-genres deserve their existence (Funeral metal WTF) but those ones I gave examples of all deserve their sub-genre status.

Berzz

Why shouldn't it deserve existence? Wait, have you ever heard any Funeral Doom Metal before in the first place?

I just don't see the point in separating it from doom metal. I really don't see the difference..... 

Aztlan_920228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Aztlan_920228
Member since 2005 • 345 Posts

Metal

Especially power metal and melodeath

basketcasetct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#223 basketcasetct
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
Punk since it has had a bigger impact
generic_brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 generic_brand
[QUOTE="generic_brand"][QUOTE="blackslim3000"][QUOTE="generic_brand"][QUOTE="MrPenguinKing"]

[QUOTE="generic_brand"]Metal sucks. So does Punk. I prefer all things Rock.needled24-7

ok. I'm going to end this argument: I DONT LIKE PUNK. I DONT LIKE METAL. you may disagree with me on what you like. It's all opinions.
blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="needled24-7"][QUOTE="generic_brand"][QUOTE="blackslim3000"][QUOTE="generic_brand"][QUOTE="MrPenguinKing"]

ok. I'm going to end this argument: I DONT LIKE PUNK. I DONT LIKE METAL. you may disagree with me on what you like. It's all opinions.

well, you should't be criticizing something you obviously know little of 

XvX_Fear_XvX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#227 XvX_Fear_XvX
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts
its hard for me because i like bolth of them a lot like linkin park and all other metal bands they bolth are goood so its hard for me to tell
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#228 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
I don't like Punk so I have to say Metal...:P
MGShacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#229 MGShacker
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts
I don't like Punk so I have to say Metal...:Pdouble_decker

sup dd. yes metal is better
slayer3039

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 slayer3039
Member since 2005 • 451 Posts
its hard for me because i like bolth of them a lot like linkin park and all other metal bands they bolth are goood so its hard for me to tellXvX_Fear_XvX

linkin park isnt even close to being metal
blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 blackslim3000

[QUOTE="XvX_Fear_XvX"]its hard for me because i like bolth of them a lot like linkin park and all other metal bands they bolth are goood so its hard for me to tellslayer3039

It's Nu metal, therefore it is metal 

slayer3039

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 slayer3039
Member since 2005 • 451 Posts

[QUOTE="slayer3039"][QUOTE="XvX_Fear_XvX"]its hard for me because i like bolth of them a lot like linkin park and all other metal bands they bolth are goood so its hard for me to tellblackslim3000

yeah like i said linkin park, or nu metal for that matter, is not even close to being real metal
blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="blackslim3000"]

[QUOTE="slayer3039"][QUOTE="XvX_Fear_XvX"]its hard for me because i like bolth of them a lot like linkin park and all other metal bands they bolth are goood so its hard for me to tellslayer3039

yeah like i said linkin park, or nu metal for that matter, is not even close to being real metal

it's a subgenre of metal whether you like the band or not...

Just like simple plan, no matter how much I dislike the band, is pop/punk, which is a subgenre of punk. 

Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Choga
Member since 2006 • 2377 Posts
Metal IMO. It is such a diverse genre and I love it! But I also like some street punk like the Casualties and Cheap Sex.