This topic is locked from further discussion.

CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 CHAOSWEAV3R
Member since 2006 • 8293 Posts
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] You're opinion.LJS9502_basic

No...it's the foundation of the music. That is not opinion.:roll:

FYI...I'm not an opinion. I think you meant the possessive your.;)

Whatever, buddy. :roll:

Whatever indeed....it's not my fault you don't understand what you're listening to dude.

Ok. I see what you mean. "At a basic level", which is heavy fast guitars, drums, bass, screaming... I get it. But it's not all the same; hence all the sub-genres. Alright? Alright.
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 TheEraser
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] You're opinion.CHAOSWEAV3R

No...it's the foundation of the music. That is not opinion.:roll:

FYI...I'm not an opinion. I think you meant the possessive your.;)

Whatever, buddy. :roll:

Whatever indeed....it's not my fault you don't understand what you're listening to dude.

Ok. I see what you mean. "At a basic level", which is heavy fast guitars, drums, bass, screaming... I get it. But it's not all the same; hence all the sub-genres. Alright? Alright.

You're right. Sometimes, instead of bashing on the C# string, they bash on a Cb string. :o
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I laugh at the people saying metal lacks diversity and skill and is lousy music. It really is one of the dumbest things I have heard.

Here is some stuff you all need to check out:

Opeth-Bleak

In Flames-Dead Alone

Megadeth-Hangar 18

Killswitch Engage-The End of Heartache  

Chimaira-Ressurection

The Dillinger Escape Plan-Sunshine the Werewolf

Daylight Dies-Lies That Bind  

Drowning Pool-Tear Away  

blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 blackslim3000
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts

I laugh at the people saying metal lacks diversity and skill and is lousy music. It really is one of the dumbest things I have heard.

Opeth-Bleak

In Flames-Dead Alone

Megadeth-Hangar 18

Chimaira-Ressurection

Drowning Pool-Tear Away

LostProphetFLCL

Punk is still better 

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#155 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts
I love both Punk and Metal.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 LostProphetFLCL
[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Opeth-Bleak

In Flames-Dead Alone

Megadeth-Hangar 18

Chimaira-Ressurection

Drowning Pool-Tear Away

blackslim3000

Punk is still better

In your opinion. 

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts

Opeth-Bleak

In Flames-Dead Alone

Megadeth-Hangar 18

Chimaira-Ressurection

Drowning Pool-Tear Away  

LostProphetFLCL
After listening to part of all these songs, I can safetly say that I would have thought that the same band was doing all of them... except for maybe Megadeth, whom I respect (only respect though, I don't like them).
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 LostProphetFLCL

Opeth-Bleak

In Flames-Dead Alone

Megadeth-Hangar 18

Chimaira-Ressurection

Drowning Pool-Tear Away

EboyLOL

After listening to part of all these songs, I can safetly say that I would have thought that the same band was doing all of them... except for maybe Megadeth, whom I respect (only respect though, I don't like them).

Then I must say you have absolutely no knowlege in music then, as there are 7 different subgenres in there, granted two of the subgenres are very similar.

taz412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 taz412
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
I will listen to anything... but if given a choice, I'd pick metal over punk any day.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 EboyLOL

Then I must say you have absolutely no knowlege in music then, as there are 7 different subgenres in there, granted two of the subgenres are very similar.

LostProphetFLCL
No knowledge of music?  Just because I can't tell different sub-genres of metal apart (this is a moot argument since metal is not the only genre of music)?  C'mon now, you can do better then that.  Metal has a tremendous amount of sub-genres, most of which don't need to be categorized into different sub-genres.  The vocals sometimes sound different I guess...
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 LostProphetFLCL

EboyLOL

No knowledge of music? Just because I can't tell different sub-genres of metal apart (this is a moot argument since metal is not the only genre of music)? C'mon now, you can do better then that. Metal has a tremendous amount of sub-genres, most of which don't need to be categorized into different sub-genres. The vocals sometimes sound different I guess...

To listen to 7 different subgenres of music and then say they sound like they were all done by the same band, except for one song, is a sign of a lack of knowlege in music.

Yeah, not all sub-genres deserve their existence (Funeral metal WTF) but those ones I gave examples of all deserve their sub-genre status.

Try listening again and you will notice how different they are, albeit the death and melodeath ones are similar.

blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="EboyLOL"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

LostProphetFLCL

No knowledge of music? Just because I can't tell different sub-genres of metal apart (this is a moot argument since metal is not the only genre of music)? C'mon now, you can do better then that. Metal has a tremendous amount of sub-genres, most of which don't need to be categorized into different sub-genres. The vocals sometimes sound different I guess...

To listen to 7 different subgenres of music and then say they sound like they were all done by the same band, except for one song, is a sign of a lack of knowlege in music.

Yeah, not all sub-genres deserve their existence (Funeral metal WTF) but those ones I gave examples of all deserve their sub-genre status.

Try listening again and you will notice how different they are, albeit the death and melodeath ones are similar.

The only differences I've noticed in all the different genres of metal are the vocals. Other than that, a lot of it sounds the same 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
Ah lostprophet....they do sound similiar enough.  Subgenres in metal depend on the speed and content of lyrics....but they could all just as easily go into one genre and coexist.  Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the music....don't be so uptight about labels.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 EboyLOL

LostProphetFLCL
I'm sure if I were to take the time to listen to each bands individual album then I would be able to tell the difference, but to people who've never heard this stuff before, it is extremely difficult to tell the difference.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 EboyLOL
The only differences I've noticed in all the different genres of metal are the vocals. Other than that, a lot of it sounds the same blackslim3000
Heh, not even...
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#166 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts

Wasn't the original question 'what do you like more?'  Who the hell brought up skill level and variety?  And again, the metalheads disappoint me.  They pick horrible examples to showcase their points, and bring up the same point over and over again.  Let it die, you're not always right, you can't convince everybody. 

I may have picked metal (only because I've found more metal bands that I like than punk bands that I like), but I'm siding with LSJ and theEraser on this.  Your views of music are cyclopean, and supposed knowledge of 'skill it takes to play this or that' is lacking.  I'm fairly positive that the music major isn't very far along, if he thinks Dragonforce is the epitome of complex musical theory.

Some people, like LSJ, simply do not enjoy harsh music.  Music is like philosophy, it's all subjective.  Nothing is better than anything else as a rule, because then there wouldn't be any point to making something new or listening to something that isn't the best.

And BTW, LSJ, Robert Smith is working with Ashlee Simpson on her next album.  He's crossed over!  :P 

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts
Metal.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 LJS9502_basic
Some people, like LSJ, simply do not enjoy harsh music.  Music is like philosophy, it's all subjective.  Nothing is better than anything else as a rule, because then there wouldn't be any point to making something new or listening to something that isn't the best.

And BTW, LSJ, Robert Smith is working with Ashlee Simpson on her next album.  He's crossed over!  :P 

crucifine

Ah....I didn't say one can't enjoy metal....I said basically the subgenres are very similiar.  I did use to listen to "harsh" music..I've moved on.  And that is a rumor that her dad started....so far, according to the band's website...it hasn't been confirmed and I've seen posts from fans  yuck...that say he denied it.  So we shall see.

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
neither.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 LostProphetFLCL
[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]To listen to 7 different subgenres of music and then say they sound like they were all done by the same band, except for one song, is a sign of a lack of knowlege in music.

EboyLOL

I'm sure if I were to take the time to listen to each bands individual album then I would be able to tell the difference, but to people who've never heard this stuff before, it is extremely difficult to tell the difference.

I guess that is possible. I have listened to lots of metal so it is failry easy for me to point out the differences between the genres when I listen.

And LJ, I normally am not so uptight about labels, but people in the thread were saying metal lacked diversity, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

In all honesty, even with personal bias aside, metal is probably the most diverse of the popular genres of music.

Believe me, there are at least a few more relevant sub-genres that I didn't bother to get into. The one that I didn't mention that I actually enjoy is industrial metal, which includes bands like Static-X and Fear Factory.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#171 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
Holy crap! This thread is huge now! Yesterday it was so small now its huge, I suppose I should be proud. Time to headbang to Judas Priest! Bloodstone!
GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172 GameFreak315
Member since 2003 • 28485 Posts
I listen to punk.  8)
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 crucifine
[QUOTE="crucifine"] Some people, like LSJ, simply do not enjoy harsh music. Music is like philosophy, it's all subjective. Nothing is better than anything else as a rule, because then there wouldn't be any point to making something new or listening to something that isn't the best.

And BTW, LSJ, Robert Smith is working with Ashlee Simpson on her next album. He's crossed over! :P

LJS9502_basic

Ah....I didn't say one can't enjoy metal....I said basically the subgenres are very similiar. I did use to listen to "harsh" music..I've moved on. And that is a rumor that her dad started....so far, according to the band's website...it hasn't been confirmed and I've seen posts from fans yuck...that say he denied it. So we shall see.

No, but there are plenty of people who simply do not want to listen to grunts, screams, yells, double bass drums, heavily distorted guitars, and orchestrated cheesery. 

What would happen if it were true, though???  Would Ashlee dye her hair black again and get back her old nose and lips?  

crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 crucifine

And LJ, I normally am not so uptight about labels, but people in the thread were saying metal lacked diversity, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

In all honesty, even with personal bias aside, metal is probably the most diverse of the popular genres of music.

LostProphetFLCL

However, most of those genres are simply offshoots of each other.  Death metal is actually an offshoot of punk, as is grind (Cryptic Slaughter).  Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore, etc., are all drawing off of hardcore, which also originated in punk.  Black metal is a blend of shock rock and hair metal (Alice Cooper and Venom).  Viking and folk metal draw from melodeath, which draws from death.  Essentially, all of it goes back to hair metal, punk, and hardcore.

COBHC_reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 COBHC_reaper
Member since 2006 • 1793 Posts
metal will always be superior to punk.skullkrusher13
your contradicting yourself if you like those bands. False metal dude aka metalcore which is metal with punk roots
MronoC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 MronoC
Member since 2005 • 4113 Posts

crucifine

However, most of those genres are simply offshoots of each other.  Death metal is actually an offshoot of punk, as is grind (Cryptic Slaughter).  Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore, etc., are all drawing off of hardcore, which also originated in punk.  Black metal is a blend of shock rock and hair metal (Alice Cooper and Venom).  Viking and folk metal draw from melodeath, which draws from death.  Essentially, all of it goes back to hair metal, punk, and hardcore.

?!  no

death metal is quite possibly the most musically complex and intricate genres of contemporary music, to compare it to punk is laughable

ProjectOmega0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 ProjectOmega0
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts
Metal
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 LostProphetFLCL

crucifine

However, most of those genres are simply offshoots of each other. Death metal is actually an offshoot of punk, as is grind (Cryptic Slaughter). Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore, etc., are all drawing off of hardcore, which also originated in punk. Black metal is a blend of shock rock and hair metal (Alice Cooper and Venom). Viking and folk metal draw from melodeath, which draws from death. Essentially, all of it goes back to hair metal, punk, and hardcore.

The thing is that the genres are all very unique in themselves and the majority of subgenres earn their labels.

I like death metal and melodeth, but I don't like black metal.

I can get into some doom metal, but I don't listen to funeral metal.

There is enough difference in the majority of the sub-genres to attract or put-off listeners. 

mmmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 mmmd
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
This topic is hilarious. We can go around in these "your opinion" circles all year and be still be where the argument started.
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 crucifine

?! no

death metal is quite possibly the most musically complex and intricate genres of contemporary music, to compare it to punk is laughable

MronoC

The earliest death metal bands basically played hardcore punk music with blast beats and speed runs.  Cryptic Slaughter especially.  

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 LJS9502_basic
As I understand it...Death Metal is an offshoot of Thrash Metal which is influenced by punk.
MronoC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 MronoC
[QUOTE="MronoC"]

?! no

crucifine

The earliest death metal bands basically played hardcore punk music with blast beats and speed runs.  Cryptic Slaughter especially.  

hardcore punk?

oh, well that's a bit different.  I thought you were referring to more simplistic punk rock like The Ramones or Sex Pistols, or stuff along the lines off modern pop-ish punk. nevermind then.

blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="crucifine"][QUOTE="MronoC"]

?! no

MronoC

The earliest death metal bands basically played hardcore punk music with blast beats and speed runs. Cryptic Slaughter especially.

hardcore punk?

oh, well that's a bit different. I thought you were referring to more simplistic punk rock like The Ramones or Sex Pistols, or stuff along the lines off modern pop-ish punk. nevermind then.

The Stooges were apparently very influential on early metal 

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 LostProphetFLCL

If anyone doubts the similarities between hardcore punk and metal, check out this vid:

Sick of It All-Take The Night off

This song is the missing link between hardcore punk and metal I swear to God. 

rascoqaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 rascoqaz
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Metal
MronoC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 MronoC
[QUOTE="MronoC"][QUOTE="crucifine"][QUOTE="MronoC"]

?! no

blackslim3000

The earliest death metal bands basically played hardcore punk music with blast beats and speed runs. Cryptic Slaughter especially.

hardcore punk?

oh, well that's a bit different. I thought you were referring to more simplistic punk rock like The Ramones or Sex Pistols, or stuff along the lines off modern pop-ish punk. nevermind then.

well, yeah they influenced pretty much everything, they were more of a pre-punk band.
blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="blackslim3000"][QUOTE="MronoC"][QUOTE="crucifine"][QUOTE="MronoC"]

?! no

MronoC

hardcore punk?

well, yeah they influenced pretty much everything, they were more of a pre-punk band.

True... and its proto-punk btw... 

crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 crucifine

If anyone doubts the similarities between hardcore punk and metal, check out this vid:

Sick of It All-Take The Night off

This song is the missing link between hardcore punk and metal I swear to God.

LostProphetFLCL

I'm fairly positive that it was Cryptic Slaughter that bridged the gap...

And I suppose you could say Death came from Thrash, but in this case music was like calculus.  Two different ideas ended up with the same sound. 
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#189 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts

LostProphetFLCL

bullcrap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AliDwNIvuVA Evoken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqspw3NcpE Skepticism

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

I may have picked metal (only because I've found more metal bands that I like than punk bands that I like), but I'm siding with LSJ and theEraser on this.  Your views of music are cyclopean, and supposed knowledge of 'skill it takes to play this or that' is lacking.  I'm fairly positive that the music major isn't very far along, if he thinks Dragonforce is the epitome of complex musical theory.

crucifine

I used DragonForce simply to showcase the intense speed at which the metal genre revolves around (though not always quite that fast).

If i wanted to showcase complexity more on the theory side of things, i would've been more likely to show the playing of somebody like Luca Turilli.

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
As for Death Metal, the genre was poioneered by the band Death, hence the name.  Death essentially took thrash metal and took it to an extreme.  Thrash was pioneered by bands such as Exodus, and was made popular by Metallica and Megadeth.  Exodus and the other early thrash bands developed their sound by combining the elements of punk rock with the heaviness, aggression, etc. of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands like Black Sabbath and, of course, taking it to the next level in terms of speed, etc.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 zh666

As for Death Metal, the genre was poioneered by the band Death, hence the name. Death essentially took thrash metal and took it to an extreme.makingmusic476

Hellhammer, Master and Possessed all pre-date Death (aka Mantas)

Hellhammer was on a compilation called "Death Metal"
Possessed wrote a song called "Death Metal"
Mantas (Death) released a demo called "Death by Metal"
and Onslaught had a song called "Death Metal" aswell...

giving Death all the credit for "Death Metal" is a bit overstretching it 

crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 crucifine
As for Death Metal, the genre was poioneered by the band Death, hence the name.  Death essentially took thrash metal and took it to an extreme.  Thrash was pioneered by bands such as Exodus, and was made popular by Metallica and Megadeth.  Exodus and the other early thrash bands developed their sound by combining the elements of punk rock with the heaviness, aggression, etc. of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands like Black Sabbath and, of course, taking it to the next level in terms of speed, etc.makingmusic476

Death did not start death metal.  It was mostly by two seperate bands who ended up with a similar formula, Possessed, and Cryptic Slaughter.  There are a few other bands who aren't as well known, but these two were essentially the first.  Death elaborated on Possessed's formula, and Carcass (and others) elaborated on Cryptic Slaughter's formula.

And Luca Turilli is just an Italian Herman Li.  Speed != complexity.
postulio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#194 postulio14
Member since 2007 • 729 Posts
I enjoy Metal more, but I have to respect Punk for pretty much inventing Metal in the first place.
slayer3039

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 slayer3039
Member since 2005 • 451 Posts
I enjoy Metal more, but I have to respect Punk for pretty much inventing Metal in the first place.postulio14

i agree, all i listen to is death and thrash.
and without punk we wouldnt have death or thrash
Berzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#196 Berzz
Member since 2004 • 14360 Posts

LostProphetFLCL

Why shouldn't it deserve existence? Wait, have you ever heard any Funeral Doom Metal before in the first place?

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 zh666

Death did not start death metal. It was mostly by two seperate bands who ended up with a similar formula, Possessed, and Cryptic Slaughter. There are a few other bands who aren't as well known, but these two were essentially the first. Death elaborated on Possessed's formula, and Carcass (and others) elaborated on Cryptic Slaughter's formula.

And Luca Turilli is just an Italian Herman Li. Speed != complexity.crucifine

Cryptic Slaughter's first demo (the most death metal-y stuff they did) was released in 85, which is a little late... their importance is mostly felt on Thrash, Grindcore and Crossover rather than Death anyways...

Gamezilla57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#198 Gamezilla57
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts
Metal, for sure. It's more complex and just better.
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 crucifine

[QUOTE="crucifine"]
Death did not start death metal. It was mostly by two seperate bands who ended up with a similar formula, Possessed, and Cryptic Slaughter. There are a few other bands who aren't as well known, but these two were essentially the first. Death elaborated on Possessed's formula, and Carcass (and others) elaborated on Cryptic Slaughter's formula.

And Luca Turilli is just an Italian Herman Li. Speed != complexity.zh666

Cryptic Slaughter's first demo (the most death metal-y stuff they did) was released in 85, which is a little late... their importance is mostly felt on Thrash, Grindcore and Crossover rather than Death anyways...

Yeah, it's my understanding that death metal split off into two distinct sections, Death and Grind, before splitting off into numerous other little subgenres.  Cryptic Slaughter was the first real Grind band, and Possessed (to me) was the first real Death band.  My take on the whole thing at least.  Definitely not Death, at least under his reasoning, or there must be some band out there called Black that no one's ever heard of while simultaneously being copied by thousands of Norwegian nerds.
matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#200 matrix_hiei
Member since 2004 • 4793 Posts

i like both genres, so i'll compare them this way...

metal at its best > punk at its best

crap metal > crap punk

metal wins.Â