This topic is locked from further discussion.

CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 CHAOSWEAV3R
Member since 2006 • 8293 Posts
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

I mean, at least metal actually takes some skill to play. ;)

LJS9502_basic

So does other genres including punk....:|

They require less skill.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

[QUOTE="TheEraser"]Punk. I hate metal, with a passion. Punk was great (as of now... I'm not so sure...), and it has a greater influence over music than metal has.TheEraser

Why the hatred for metal?

Is it not as influential....yes, but that doesn't make it bad in anyway.

Punk can take skill. By skilless punk, I assume you mean the Pistols, who were a bunch of bored guys who got together and started playing stuff... No. A lot of punk takes skill, and while it doesn't have the overblown solos, it does have some innovative guitar playing, and contrary to popular belief, usually never sounds the same.

I mean, unless you're into that mainstream punk. :wink:

I hate metal because I find it tedious, and, quite frankly, having a huge lack of variety. People have tried to reccomend me metal bands to hear, but I've never really been impressed, but seriously, punk can impress me.

HUge lack of variety? lmao

Here's just a SMALL list of subgenres....

Power Metal (my favorite, bands like Iced Earth, Blind Guardian)
Thrash Metal (Metallica, Megadeth)
Death Metal (Shadows Fall)
Black Metal (Immortal)
Folk Metal (Finnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnntroll! lol)
New Wave of British Heavy Metal (Ozzy, Iron Maiden)
Nu-Metal (System of a Down, Distrubed)
Harcore/Metalcore (Hatebreed)

All of which can be broken into even further subgenres:

Symphonic Power Metal (Rhapsody, Nightwish)
Extreme Power Metal  (Children of Bodom, though they are sometimes also considered melodeath)
Groove MEtal (Pantera, White/Rob Zombie)
Melodeath (Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, short for Melodic Death Metal)
Viking Metal (Amon Amarth, Ensiferum)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

CHAOSWEAV3R

They require less skill.

Metal doesn't really require that much.....play fast and know a few tricks....repeat ad nauseum.:|

TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 TheEraser
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

CHAOSWEAV3R

They require less skill.

Eh... Metal=guys playing fast on a guitar.

I can do that. It's not hard. If you can move your fingers fast on a computer keyboard, how is a wooden platform any different? I've been playing cello for five years, and those strings are thick as hell (not to mention, double bass strings are even bigger), so I can't say that the strings would get in my way. I'm used to that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-61ff675e61178

CHAOSWEAV3R

They require less skill.

Haha, anybody who thinks any genre can even touch metal, just check out this DragonForce music video.

FOcus on the solo near the middle.

Make note of two things: 1. They cut two minutes off of the song, including the beginning of the solo, to make the song only 5 minutes and mtv worthy, and 2. the solo is INSANE! 

I can't wait until i can play that fast (slowly getting there).

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
Metal for me. Sure punk CAN be great, but I like alot more metal than punk.
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 TheEraser
[QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

[QUOTE="TheEraser"]Punk. I hate metal, with a passion. Punk was great (as of now... I'm not so sure...), and it has a greater influence over music than metal has.makingmusic476

Punk can take skill. By skilless punk, I assume you mean the Pistols, who were a bunch of bored guys who got together and started playing stuff... No. A lot of punk takes skill, and while it doesn't have the overblown solos, it does have some innovative guitar playing, and contrary to popular belief, usually never sounds the same.

I hate metal because I find it tedious, and, quite frankly, having a huge lack of variety. People have tried to reccomend me metal bands to hear, but I've never really been impressed, but seriously, punk can impress me.

Black Metal (Immortal)

Extreme Power Metal (Children of Bodom, though they are sometimes also considered melodeath)

I used to be a metalhead like you. I wouldn't listen to anything else but metal. And I've argued with metalheads for my whole life. I could care less about the variety of metal, it's fact, that metal is never different. I understand it's not all grunting, but either way, it don't like it.

What I truly despise, though, is the fact that you guys have this weird idea that punk takes no skill.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

TheEraser

They require less skill.

I can do that. It's not hard. If you can move your fingers fast on a computer keyboard, how is a wooden platform any different? I've been playing cello for five years, and those strings are thick as hell (not to mention, double bass strings are even bigger), so I can't say that the strings would get in my way. I'm used to that.

UM...its very different, and you as a Cellist should know that. :|
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 TheEraser
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

makingmusic476

They require less skill.

Haha, anybody who thinks any genre can even touch metal, just check out DragonForce music video.

Make note of two things: 1. They cut two minutes off of the song, including the beginning of the solo, to make the song only 5 minutes and mtv worthy, and 2. the solo is INSANE!

Also look at how fast he's playing. It's like anybody could do it, if they just move their fingers fast. There's no harmony, and technically speaking, contains only a blizzard of notes. I don't want to listen to that. :wink:
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 LJS9502_basic
I used to be a metalhead like you. I wouldn't listen to anything else but metal. And I've argued with metalheads for my whole life. I could care less about the variety of metal, it's fact, that metal is never different. I understand it's not all grunting, but either way, it don't like it.

What I truly despise, though, is the fact that you guys have this weird idea that punk takes no skill.  

TheEraser

They probably haven't listened to anything but metal.  I used to listen to it as well....and found it...well boring after a time.  Thankfully, I've moved on to much more interesting music.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

[QUOTE="TheEraser"]Punk. I hate metal, with a passion. Punk was great (as of now... I'm not so sure...), and it has a greater influence over music than metal has.TheEraser

Black Metal (Immortal)

Extreme Power Metal (Children of Bodom, though they are sometimes also considered melodeath)

Let's be honest, its not that hard to play most punk songs.  Does that make them bad songs? By no means.  I like a lot of punk (London Calling ftw).  However, when you said that metal is bad, i couldn't help but retaliate. ;)
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
I like both, I prefer metal though.....
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 TheEraser
[QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

makingmusic476

They require less skill.

That's not what I meant. I'm saying, if you can move your fingers fast, period, then it's no different than anything else. If you move your fingers fast on a cello, and bow at the same time, you will produce many different notes, and you can easily memorize a pattern. The same goes for a guitar, so why should fast guitar players have any more talent? Anybody can pick up an instrument, move their fingers really fast, and create a huge flurry of notes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="TheEraser"]I used to be a metalhead like you. I wouldn't listen to anything else but metal. And I've argued with metalheads for my whole life. I could care less about the variety of metal, it's fact, that metal is never different. I understand it's not all grunting, but either way, it don't like it.

LJS9502_basic

They probably haven't listened to anything but metal.  I used to listen to it as well....and found it...well boring after a time.  Thankfully, I've moved on to much more interesting music.

Actually, i'm a music major, and i grew up listening to classical with my parents.  My favorite forms of metal iare those which combine which combine various typed of metal with full on symphonies, commonly referred to as Symphonic Power Metal.  Check out Nightwish's Ghost Love Score to hear what i'm talking about.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 LJS9502_basic
I've heard Nightwish....nothing special.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

TheEraser

They require less skill.

That's not what I meant. I'm saying, if you can move your fingers fast, period, then it's no different than anything else. If you move your fingers fast on a cello, and bow at the same time, you will produce many different notes, and you can easily memorize a pattern. The same goes for a guitar, so why should fast guitar players have any more talent? Anybody can pick up an instrument, move their fingers really fast, and create a huge flurry of notes.

Yes, but can they do it with proper timing, and in such a way that is still pleasing to the ears.  A good metal solo will be like taking the riffs of a rock song, and playing them 1000x faster, but still sounding just as good.  You have to keep the melodies, etc. intact.  Even greater bands will harmonise the solos like in that DragonForce video i showed you.

You can't just play random sh!t fast and call it good.  That's not metal.

CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 CHAOSWEAV3R
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

TheEraser

They require less skill.

Haha, anybody who thinks any genre can even touch metal, just check out DragonForce music video.

Also look at how fast he's playing. It's like anybody could do it, if they just move their fingers fast. There's no harmony, and technically speaking, contains only a blizzard of notes. I don't want to listen to that. :wink:

DragonForce is power metal, not entirely focused on melody as it is speed. If you want melody, listen to Scar Symmetry.
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 TheEraser
Ghost Love Score=a metal song with an orchestra. I don't want a song like that. I'm talking about creatively combining the two, not just having a metal song with an orchestral background. It's also cheesy, I just can't imagine not trying to hurt myself listening to this music.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-61ff675e61178

I've heard Nightwish....nothing special.LJS9502_basic
es, but have you heard GHost LOve Score?  It is far different from the average Nightwish, and much more symphonic.  Its not like their other songs where they just threw in a bunch of keyboards or anything.  It has a full symphony.

Here, check out this video on youtube with it.

TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TheEraser
[QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

makingmusic476

They require less skill.

Yes, but can they do it with proper timing, and in such a way that is still pleasing to the ears. A good metal solo will be like taking the riffs of a rock song, and playing them 1000x faster, but still sounding just as good. You have to keep the melodies, etc. intact. Even greater bands will harmonise the solos like in that DragonForce video i showed you.

You can't just play random **** fast and call it good. That's not metal.

It has no character though. I can take a punk band and listen to a riff, and know instantly what the band is, and who the guitarist is. Dragonforce, and similar bands, all sound the same. It's just so damned generic, to me. Maybe to you, it's not, but to me, the most innovative metal has seem to have gotten is having orchestral scores. Meh. The Beatles had that.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts
What I truly despise, though, is the fact that you guys have this weird idea that punk takes no skill.  TheEraser
This is somewhat of a stereotype that began with the Sex Pistols.  The Clash on the other hand combine many aspects of other genres into their music, and do it very well.  London Calling is better then most albums ever made, but many punk bands support the stereotype of "punk takes no skill to play".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Ghost Love Score=a metal song with an orchestra. I don't want a song like that. I'm talking about creatively combining the two, not just having a metal song with an orchestral background. It's also cheesy, I just can't imagine not trying to hurt myself listening to this music.TheEraser
Have you lsitened to the song all the way through?  i love the song,a nd its gets especially awesome at roughly the 5:30 mark.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="TheEraser"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

TheEraser

They require less skill.

Yes, but can they do it with proper timing, and in such a way that is still pleasing to the ears. A good metal solo will be like taking the riffs of a rock song, and playing them 1000x faster, but still sounding just as good. You have to keep the melodies, etc. intact. Even greater bands will harmonise the solos like in that DragonForce video i showed you.

You can't just play random **** fast and call it good. That's not metal.

It has no character though. I can take a punk band and listen to a riff, and know instantly what the band is, and who the guitarist is. Dragonforce, and similar bands, all sound the same. It's just so damned generic, to me. Maybe to you, it's not, but to me, the most innovative metal has seem to have gotten is having orchestral scores. Meh. The Beatles had that.

Well then, therein lies the difference between us.  I can easily get into a very catchy riff.  You, however, do not.

However, i do find it kind of funny how you mock metal for having no variety, but when the variety is pointed out for you, you say you just don't like the variety.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its not there.

Also, check out some Finntroll for some more variety.  Crazy folk/viking metal bad.  Great drinking songs imo, haha.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 LJS9502_basic
Much as you like to not believe it dude.....stripped down to basics...all metal is similiar.
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 TheEraser

Okay, let me rephrase my complaint with metal...

What does Nightwish do with Ghost Love Score that Beethoven and Mozart didn't do well over a couple hundred years ago? When I listen to, say, a Dead Kennedy's song, I don't ask that question. The Dead Kennedy's guitarist was heavily influenced by surf and classical music, and while those influences do show, the Dead Kennedy's don't go around writing songs with surf sections, but instead incorporate it into punk. They try to make their influences more contemporary to go with the style of songs they write, while I've noticed that many metal bands simply try to make songs based off of their influences.
CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 CHAOSWEAV3R
Much as you like to not believe it dude.....stripped down to basics...all metal is similiar. LJS9502_basic
So, isn't everything in each genre?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Much as you like to not believe it dude.....stripped down to basics...all metal is similiar. CHAOSWEAV3R

His argument stated otherwise.....I corrected that.  Your point?  I'm not arguing other genres here.

TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 TheEraser
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Much as you like to not believe it dude.....stripped down to basics...all metal is similiar. CHAOSWEAV3R

No. Radiohead is vastly different from Dinosaur Jr. when it comes down to music, Sonic Youth and the Dead Kennedys are vastly different bands, too.
CRUNK3050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 CRUNK3050
Member since 2006 • 2449 Posts
Mostly neither.
CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 CHAOSWEAV3R

[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Much as you like to not believe it dude.....stripped down to basics...all metal is similiar. LJS9502_basic

His argument stated otherwise.....I corrected that. Your point? I'm not arguing other genres here.

Saying all metal is similar is like saying all punk is similar. To you, maybe. To me, there's tons of variations.
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Much as you like to not believe it dude.....stripped down to basics...all metal is similiar. TheEraser

No. Radiohead is vastly different from Dinosaur Jr. when it comes down to music, Sonic Youth and the Dead Kennedys are vastly different bands, too.

My point.
blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 blackslim3000
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEraser"]What I truly despise, though, is the fact that you guys have this weird idea that punk takes no skill. EboyLOL
This is somewhat of a stereotype that began with the Sex Pistols. The Clash on the other hand combine many aspects of other genres into their music, and do it very well. London Calling is better then most albums ever made, but many punk bands support the stereotype of "punk takes no skill to play".

The Clash were better than lots other punk bands, but they weren't that great. There have been several punk guitarists, like Wayne Kramer and Robert Quine for example, who were much more skilled than the clash

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 LJS9502_basic
 Saying all metal is similar is like saying all punk is similar. To you, maybe. To me, there's tons of variations.CHAOSWEAV3R

You stated all genres were the same.....however, in the alternative genre there exists several subgenres that are not the same at all.  Metal is basically the same.  That's what makes it metal and not another genre.:roll:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="EboyLOL"][QUOTE="TheEraser"]What I truly despise, though, is the fact that you guys have this weird idea that punk takes no skill. blackslim3000

This is somewhat of a stereotype that began with the Sex Pistols. The Clash on the other hand combine many aspects of other genres into their music, and do it very well. London Calling is better then most albums ever made, but many punk bands support the stereotype of "punk takes no skill to play".

The Clash were better than lots other punk bands, but they weren't that great. There have been several punk guitarists, like Wayne Kramer and Robert Quine for example, who were much more skilled than the clash

Don't diss The Clash.....

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts

blackslim3000

Which bands did those guitarists belong to (out of curiosity)?  And I don't listen to the Clash for their guitarwork exclusively... many of their songs are excellent compositions.

blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="blackslim3000"]

[QUOTE="EboyLOL"][QUOTE="TheEraser"]What I truly despise, though, is the fact that you guys have this weird idea that punk takes no skill. LJS9502_basic

Don't diss The Clash.....

I'm not. I'm just saying they weren't the most skilled punk band. They were still good band though 

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#136 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
none of the above
blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="blackslim3000"]

EboyLOL

Which bands did those guitarists belong to (out of curiosity)? And I don't listen to the Clash for their guitarwork exclusively... many of their songs are excellent compositions.

Wayne Kramer played for the Mc5, and Robert Quine for the Voidoids 

CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 CHAOSWEAV3R
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] Saying all metal is similar is like saying all punk is similar. To you, maybe. To me, there's tons of variations.LJS9502_basic

You stated all genres were the same.....however, in the alternative genre there exists several subgenres that are not the same at all. Metal is basically the same. That's what makes it metal and not another genre.:roll:

I didn't state they were the same. (Well, in another context...) You said all metal was the same. Which isn't true.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] Saying all metal is similar is like saying all punk is similar. To you, maybe. To me, there's tons of variations.CHAOSWEAV3R

You stated all genres were the same.....however, in the alternative genre there exists several subgenres that are not the same at all. Metal is basically the same. That's what makes it metal and not another genre.:roll:

I didn't state they were the same. (Well, in another context...) You said all metal was the same. Which isn't true.

At the basic level.....it is.

CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 CHAOSWEAV3R
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] Saying all metal is similar is like saying all punk is similar. To you, maybe. To me, there's tons of variations.LJS9502_basic

Your opinion.
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 TheEraser
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] Saying all metal is similar is like saying all punk is similar. To you, maybe. To me, there's tons of variations.CHAOSWEAV3R

You're opinion.

He is not opinion...

On a serious plane, though, metal is essentially a loud, concussion-inducing riff. No matter how many orchestras you can cram in there (because that's about how far outside the metal genre I've seen bands go. Fact. Not opinion.). 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 LJS9502_basic
 You're opinion.CHAOSWEAV3R

No...it's the foundation of the music.  That is not opinion.:roll:

FYI...I'm not an opinion.  I think you meant the possessive your.;)

CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 CHAOSWEAV3R
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] You're opinion.LJS9502_basic

No...it's the foundation of the music. That is not opinion.:roll:

FYI...I'm not an opinion. I think you meant the possessive your.;)

Whatever, buddy. :roll:
TheEraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 TheEraser
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] You're opinion.CHAOSWEAV3R

Unlike that other guy with the Iced Earth sig or whatever, I don't think you're thinking through your arguments...
CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 CHAOSWEAV3R
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] You're opinion.TheEraser

Unlike that other guy with the Iced Earth sig or whatever, I don't think you're thinking through your arguments...

I'll admit defeat. Enough's enough.
blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 blackslim3000

I'm surprised at how many people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" 

CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 CHAOSWEAV3R
[QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] You're opinion.blackslim3000

I'm surprised at how many people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're"

Typo. I know the difference.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LJS9502_basic

Whatever indeed....it's not my fault you don't understand what you're listening to dude.

blackslim3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 blackslim3000
[QUOTE="blackslim3000"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="CHAOSWEAV3R"] You're opinion.CHAOSWEAV3R

Typo. I know the difference.

You're not the only one I've seen do it wrong 

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#150 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
I like both but Punk is where my home is.