ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4952 ophelmark
Member since 2017 • 610 Posts

Gone With The Wind.Man i always thought this movie was some chick flick from the old days so that's why i had little interest in watching it but i was so wrong the mc was a complete **** that did everything she wanted no matter who she trampled in the process to get what she wanted...the worst part is that she didn't had any kind of redemption arc...at the end she was just as deluded as in the beginning...the other mc was also a huge asshole.Tho not as much as her.He was more like the og scoundrel.It was a great movie overall.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4953  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this one, going in. All I knew was Doctor Sleep is a sequel to The Shining without Stanley Kubrick's direction - new cast since the original team are either old or dead now. I also knew The Shining is a very tough act to follow as it's engraved in cinematic history at this point.

I was very pleasantly surprised by Doctor Sleep. It was a very great film that gives plentiful nods to the Kubrickian original all while standing on its own legs with exploring a story direction I wasn't really anticipating yet wholly accepted as a worthy followup to The Shining.

Really great horror storytelling here, and the new characters introduced are among the standouts. I really loved the villain, Rose the Hat. Her character brought a lot of energy to the table, and the child actor that played Abra really stole stole the show with some fantastic and confident acting.

I'm really against sequels for the most part, because they tend to be lifeless cash-grabs, often just repeating the same story beats of the original without expanding upon - and while Doctor Sleep does flutter along some familiar lines, you can tell it's all within the creative purpose while venturing off into new territory.

Totally recommend Doctor Sleep. If you're a fan of The Shining and reluctant over the idea of it getting a sequel, I highly recommend checking this one out because little might you know, this one will be worthwhile.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4954 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

The Red Shoes (1948, UK, Technicolor)

UK region B Blu-ray, imported because of how much more expensive Criterion's disc is. Rewatch. Watched the DVD in April, via Netflix.

Ballerina's passion for dancing destroys her. Hm, sounds familiar. Doesn't really follow the same story beats as Black Swan, which I find good as well, but it was probably an inspiration. Here, it's having to choose between love and her passion that does her in, her director making it clear she can't have both. I think her descent in the second half could have been a little better developed, although there's some foreshadowing in the dreamy sixteen minute ballet of "The Red Shoes" in the middle of the movie, whose story mirrors what happens to Moira Shearer's character. One of the things this movie has over Black Swan is that the star was a real dancer. A good one, as far as I could tell. Her performances were wonderful.

Great movie.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4955 ophelmark

Last House on the Left.I mainly checked this movie cause of Wes Craven.It was ok.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4956 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58978 Posts

Dawn Of Planet Of The Apes - Simply great

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4957  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Alien Covenent - Liked Prometheus, didn't like this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4958 uninspiredcup  Online

The Selfish Gaint - What a movie

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4959 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Rocky 3-5 and Balboa - 8/10 Great franchise overall, probably the best series I've ever watched that's over 3 movies long.

Creed 1 and 2 - Not as good as Rocky but still a good watch. The boxing scenes were very well done though.

Ford vs Ferrari - Matt Damon and Christian Bale are great in this movie, the only issue I had overall was the CGI used at times wasn't up to par and ruined some scenes. 8/10

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4960 uninspiredcup  Online

@vfighter: Really wish Balboa kept that scene in.

https://youtu.be/Ugg6NDxwGF4What

But yea, think problem with Creed, he's kind of a boring character compared to Rocky, esp the first movie.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4961 VFighter

@uninspiredcup: I agree on both things. That was a great scene, not sure why they cut it. I also liked the deleted scene of him trying to chug raw eggs again and spitting them back out. I see why they cut it but it was funny. As for Creed, yeah he wasnt nearly as interesting, they tried but Sly stole every scene he was in, it almost wasnt fair.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4962 uninspiredcup  Online

Togo - Just watched this cause it had picture of Willem Dafoe with a dog

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4963 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Hellboy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4964 uninspiredcup  Online

Operation Dumbo Drop - eh, like the actors in it (Danny Glover/Ray Liotta), not very exciting though.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4965 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts

Shutter (2004). It was a good creepy, not that all scary, movie. 7/10

I watched Shutter (2008) first a few years ago, which was a remake. That was a shit movie (4.5/10). Didn't remember much of it though, thankfully. That would have spoiled the original for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4966 uninspiredcup  Online

War Of The Planet Of The Apes - Not perfect, but still largely wonderful. Bloated goodness.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4967 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

The Mask (1994) - wasn't sure if it would hold up after all these years, but surprisingly it did. Carey was in his prime (I think this was the best of all of his "zany" performances), and the effects are still decent.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4968 ophelmark

No Country for Old Men.Maybe i missed some deeper meaning but it seemed to me this movie went completely retard at the last part.The good guy dies like a bitch and not even by the weirdo with the funny hair.The weirdo keeps killing people and nothing happens to him save a car crash.And the sheriff retires to tell us about some weird dreams he had about his Dad....What is this shit? is that it? Man i'm glad i didn't watch this crap in the theaters.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4969 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

hamilton on disney+

god damn it's good

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4970 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts

Batman Returns. I love this movie more and more every time I watch it. It's so dark, depressing and disgusting. The movie isn't even about Batman. He's just there and does his thing when the baddies initiate one of their schemes. He's purely reactionary. The plot isn't even the greatest, but the characters and themes are so interesting added with the best Batman soundtrack, imo.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4971 ophelmark

Tucker and Dale vs the Evil.It was ok.The two blonde actresses were hot as hell.Unfortunately the humor of the movie didn't really work with me.Tho i got to admit it had a good message of not judging people by appearances and misconceptions.In my real life some people had told me i look like a psycho.And i have been misjudged a lot of times.I still remember a while ago when my mom was pretty sick in the hospital so i had to take a bus to go there everyday.Unfortunately the bus stop was in front of an elementary school.In one of those times an old lady that lives near my home approach me and started questioning me.When i told her the number of the room my mom was in the hospital she backed off.A few weeks later my mom died.

A bit more recently i have been suffering of great stress so i thought it would be a good idea to take a walk to calm myself.Bad idea.Since i was so stressed my breathing pattern was pretty heavy.So some old guy i was walking behind got a bit mad.Cause of my breathing patterns.It's incredibly how much shit people have in their minds to make so many rash judgements about others.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4972  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Bordello Of Blood - a poor (poor mans) From Dusk Till Dawn, still pretty fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4973  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

2 Champions of Shaolin - One of the more average Shaw Brothers movies

Must get revenge on those Wu Tang laddos. Odd ending, basically everyone dies.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4974  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Thought old Old Yeller was going to be some light 50's Disney back in a more innocent time, turns into Apocalypse Now in the last 15. Jesus Christ.

https://youtu.be/o_OZJcVAiXE

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4975 ophelmark

Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars.It was ok.But honestly the mood of the story was kinda goofy and that killed all the tense moments in this movie.Most of Rico's group acted like retarded teenagers.Ok i get it.They are noobs but i don't care about them.I wanted to see more things about the current war they had with the alien insects.This movie was like a side story trying to recreate the same story of the original SST.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4976 ophelmark

Taegukgi.I was expecting a tearjerker since Korea are experts in that shit.But honestly this movie did nothing for me.Maybe it's cause the main them was their brotherly love.And well even tho in my real i had an older brother myself that was practically my only Father figure for several reasons when i was kid.I think this movie went a bit too far of the uncanny valley.At times this movie seemed like one of those slash fanfics? written by horny chicks.

friendson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4977  Edited By friendson
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

its was not a movie but a sitcom. I watched few episodes of friends. I was feeling blue and it just kept cheering me up and i kept watching till i was feeling OK again !

https://www.quizexpo.com/the-hardest-friends-trivia-quiz/

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4978 VFighter

Sonic the Hedgehog - So much better then it had any right being. The CGI was great (thank god they changed it from that nightmare inducing looking sonic) and Jim Carrey was...well Jim Carrey. It was just a damn entertaining movie. 7/10

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4979 uninspiredcup  Online

Dragon: The Bruce Lee - This movie is basically fantasy bullshit, purposefully designed to be entertaining over realistic. And it delivers on that, really. Rewatching it after all these years forgot just how many fight scenes it has.

Shame Jason Scott Lee never became a bigger star, he's quite magnificent in this movie.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4980 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

A Simple Favour

Better than expected.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4981 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Watching The Severed Arm right now dang it!

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4982 ophelmark

Deathstalker.Man on man this movie was fantastic for the likes of me.It's one of those old B movies that despite their quality.They sure are pretty entertaining if you like that type of movies.Also it has a lot of hot chicks...semi-naked most of the time hahaha.This movie is perfect for when you are having a few beers.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4983 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Struggle in the Valley (1954) - Youssef Chahine

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4984  Edited By ophelmark

Reign of Fire.Great movie.Tho i thought it was kinda funny that it had a side character that was an american type of Hero even tho the story took place in England.At first i thought they were going to use him to shit on that archetype but nope...I hate to say Badass cause nowadays people give that compliment to people just cause they colored their hair with a different color.But that guy was a 100 percent badass.A lot of people will probably shit themselves with how the other side character(pilot chick)acted.But she was pretty realistic.She even say it.She was hoping she would be driving her helicopter.Not going full commando.As for the character played by Christian Bale.I liked how he was at first hesitant to take risks but as things got worst he changed and took more risks.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4986 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

21 Jump Street

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4987 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Rewatched Predator and Cranes Are Flying yesterday.

As I watched Predator, I thought to myself how lucky that movie was to get a 4K release before Disney bought Fox. The last Fox catalog title on 4K was Alien in April of 2019, shortly before Disney bought Fox. There had been a steady flow of Fox catalog releases on the format until the acquisition. Since then, they've just been sitting on hundreds of Fox titles. It's obvious they wanna force people to join their streaming service. I'm not interested. There's no way Disney Plus's 28 Mbps speeds can deliver picture and sound as detailed as what I watched tonight, and besides, like many Comcast subscribers, I'm capped at 1 terabyte. With how many movies I watch, I'd go through that in no time. Really wish Disney would get broken up. They're way too big of a monopoly.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4988  Edited By ophelmark

Memphis Belle.I only saw bits and pieces of this movie so when i watched it properly i realized all of the crew survived.Sure one guy was wounded but i thought more of them died.Overall the movie was great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4989  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

The Jackal (1997) - This movie got destroyed critically,but I honestly like it and it's grew with each rewatch through the years.

They realized long before 2020 that Jack Black was actually really annoying, ahead of it's time.

It kinda feels more "Hitman the movie" than the actual two Hitman movies.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4990  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts
Loading Video...

Guns Akimbo

Entertainingly stupid fun! You can tell Daniel Radcliffe and Samara Weaving were having a blast.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4991  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

An Inspector Calls.

Sure it is not your big screen blockbuster but the 2015 BBC entry was interesting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4992 uninspiredcup  Online

@nintendoboy16: Daniel Radcliffe is a great actor. He's done a pretty good job of getting away from "Harry Potter kid".

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4994 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@nintendoboy16: Daniel Radcliffe is a great actor. He's done a pretty good job of getting away from "Harry Potter kid".

I would say the same for Robert Pattinson, he broke away from the Twilight zone.

He's showing his range too. He went from sexual candy to sexually frustrated.

One of these days he might get an Oscar if he keeps it up.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4995 ophelmark

Kuru.Man i really liked this Japanese horror movie but it felt like it should have been three movies instead of one.Besides that it was great.At first i thought it was just a typical possession story but it was more clever than that.I can't really explain why without spoiling the whole movie.Besides that after the Korean takeover of the asian Horror movie front.I'm glad the Japanese still make great Horror movies.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4996 uninspiredcup  Online

Sister Act.

Been at least 20 years since I saw that, aged ok, inoffensive fluff.

ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4997 ophelmark

The Grey.For some reason.I don't know why.I always thought the drill workers in this movie were some kind of evil criminals instead.And the character played by Liam Neeson was a hitman.Oh and how can i forget thinking that Diaz the hispanic guy was in the Mexican Cartel.Man i'm such a dummy...they were just a group of blue collar workers.Most of them married with children.And that's what made this movie more tragic.Cause most of them were actual good people.

Besides that there is not much more to say.This movie is one of my all time favorites.I just felt the need today to re-watch it cause i heard it being mentioned somewhere else.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#4998 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey. I think I find Suicide Squad slightly better. Don't care for either of the movies though.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5000  Edited By filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

last newish movie i seen was ummm, rampage which is actually alright, and the new doom movie, which made the 2005 movie look like an absolute masterpiece lol.

oh i seen alien covenant also which made alien resurrection look like a masterpiece also.

last movies i watched tho, was all the old friday the 13th movies in a row again lol.