Its dam ridiculous how overpaid athletes and celebs are

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Merc009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Merc009
Member since 2007 • 2620 Posts

While these people get paid for playing sports and having fun, firefighters, doctors, and our military save lives and risk theirs for pennies, so what if they worked since they were kids? its not like doctors become doctors in one day. No wonder why we are in a bad economy.

I know they get paid alot because of US paying their salary but that money should be used in more important things than buying a mansion and a golden airplane

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Just saying that being an actor isn't an easy job.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Not really. They get paid what the market allows for. Professional athleticism is big business, and brings in billions in revenue. Getting the best-of-the-best athletes in the world to compete in your league costs money.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Being beautiful ain't easy.
ABCarmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ABCarmine
Member since 2011 • 1937 Posts

Someone has to pay for there Medical Marijuana bills, I mean Medical bills.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

You're angry at the wrong people. You should be mad at the public, who apparently have an insatiable appetite for entertainment. Not that I really have a problem with it, but that's what drives those salaries up.

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

Unless the celebrity is like Kanye West, who thinks he is God's gift to Mankind, I don't really mind how much they make.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Athletes and actors help bring in billions of dollars of annual income to a business and they get paid accordingly. Police, firefights, military, etc. don't make money for the city/government. It's basic economics.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Comparatively to other more important professions, yes absolutely. But they are in a huge business and it makes a whole lot of money... so who should the money go to then? I'd much rather it go to the athletes, actors, performers, etc. -- the people that actually create something of value, rather then it all just go to a handful of owners and higher-ups.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

For the money they generate, no. They really aren't overpaid.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I wonder if you would think the same way if you were a pro athlete.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
they get paid the industry standard.. the generate billions thus they make millions
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Being beautiful ain't easy.Wilfred_Owen
truth.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
We keep going to see them and paying money for it, blame is on us.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

The great thing about America is that people normally don't get to decide how another person spends their money. Hopefully that'll never change.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
If you have a problem, quit watching sports, quit watching movies, quit listening to music, etc. Otherwise you have no room to complain because you're just supporting them with your dollars. Also
I know they get paid alot because of US paying their salaryMerc009
What
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I agree. There should be a limit to how much someone is allowed to make.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts
don't know what you expect were thousands of years if not more from any form of progressive society.
NaughtEnAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaughtEnAlt
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
How else are they going to afford their steroids?
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

It's not really ridiculous. It's basic common sense. If Tom Cruise can make Studio A 500 million dollars in his next movie they're going to offer him millions to prevent him from jumping ship to Studio B because he's just that valuable. On the other hand, if Private Joe Blow can't cut it in basic training you can just kick him out and get the next person who's waiting in line to enlist to take his place. Even with that, the longer you stay in the more you make. Generals make almost $200,000 a year because they have decades of experience versus a private who makes around $20,000-$30,000 a year (depending on if they're married or not) because they're easily replicable. The celebrities make a lot of money for the people they work for and that's why they get the big bucks. The ones who aren't performing usually get pushed aside if they're not making that much money. With government workers and the military their paycheck is coming from your tax dollars. They're not making any money for their employer (unless you count traffic fines from the highway patrol).

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 worlock77

Jolt_counter119

Why should there be?

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

How else are they going to afford their steroids?NaughtEnAlt

Welcome completely new OT user!

May your long, long, long stay be filled with lulz, joy, e-marriages, and merriment!

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
The only way for them to get paid less would be for us to quit going to their sporting events and watching their movies.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Jolt_counter119

What? No. Punishing success isn't fair. (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a Repub >_>)

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

You're angry at the wrong people. You should be mad at the public, who apparently have an insatiable appetite for entertainment. Not that I really have a problem with it, but that's what drives those salaries up.

TaCoDuDe

this and I think athletes get what they should since they have to retire when they are young

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
a doctor can be a doctor for decades. the career of a pro athlete is usually about 10-15 years and they do a lot of damage to their bodies for the long term. plus sports are fun to watch, i dont see the problem
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Jolt_counter119
no there shouldn't be. thats a terrible idea
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

22Toothpicks

What? No. Punishing success isn't fair. (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a Repub >_>)

How is it punishing success:? What half a million isn't good enough for people now. I hate how society isn't content with just enough, more, more, more that's all we want and if we don't have the option to get more we lose motivation to even try. Somethimes I hate western society,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

How is it punishing success:? What half a million isn't good enough for people now. I hate how society isn't content with just enough, more, more, more that's all we want and if we don't have the option to get more we lose motivation to even try. Somethimes I hate western society,

Jolt_counter119

What's the incentive to perform if you can never make more money? And don't say that shouldn't be an incentive, because it is and that will never change.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 worlock77

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]

Jolt_counter119

Let me ask you something: if a movie like 'I Am Legend' grosses close to $600,000,000 largely because of Will Smith's star power then how much do you think Will Smith desreves to make for that?

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 trick_man01

Jolt_counter119
That would be bad, I would not be driven to become better if this was the case.
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] What? No. Punishing success isn't fair. (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a Repub >_>)

worlock77

Let me ask you something: if a movie like 'I Am Legend' grosses close to $600,000,000 largely because of Will Smith's star power then how much do you think Will Smith desreves to make for that?

He should make whatever the limit is. The limit should be the same for everyone any extra should be taxed out and used for education and healthcare etc. Obviously no one agrees with me, people are too greedy they need the kind of motivation that only millions of dollars can provide.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

You're making the assumption that the money these people make is somehow being taken away from the salaries of others. That's probably not the case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

He should make whatever the limit is. The limit should be the same for everyone any extra should be taxed out and used for education and healthcare etc. Obviously no one agrees with me, people are too greedy they need the kind of motivation that only millions of dollars can provide.

Jolt_counter119

Most people are self interested, not greedy. It's in my interest to make more money, whether you like it or not.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Jolt_counter119

So his income should be arbitrarily limited and he should be taxed on top of that? How is that fair?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
He should make whatever the limit is. The limit should be the same for everyone any extra should be taxed out and used for education and healthcare etc. Obviously no one agrees with me, people are too greedy they need the kind of motivation that only millions of dollars can provide.Jolt_counter119
There are better ways at helping the people than unfairly taxing them.
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jolt_counter119

airshocker

Most people are self interested, not greedy. It's in my interest to make more money, whether you like it or not.

And you can make more money i'ts not like I think the limit should be 150 grand. I think it's ridiculous that people could actually have a billion dollars. A limit at 5 million I think would be adequate no one needs more than that and 99% of people are never even going to make it close to that anyways.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

magicalclick

Agree, the limit should 40K a year.

So a guy like Will Smith should make as much as my useless jackass of a brother-in-law who counts inventory?

Hakarie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hakarie
Member since 2011 • 352 Posts

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]

Jolt_counter119

Thats capitalism for ya, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer
trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 trick_man01

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Jolt_counter119

And you can make more money i'ts not like I think the limit should be 150 grand. I think it's ridiculous that people could actually have a billion dollars. A limit at 5 million I think would be adequate no one needs more than that and 99% of people are never even going to make it close to that anyways.

But after I reach the limit I would have no desire to work towards a goal anymore and further more I should never be punished for success no matter how much money I have, also many of these billionaires you speak of have agreed to donate up to 50% of their net worth to charity.
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

airshocker

What's the incentive to perform if you can never make more money? And don't say that shouldn't be an incentive, because it is and that will never change.

not for matt damon

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

magicalclick

Agree, the limit should 40K a year.

lol wut? Engineers earn more than that in their first year out of school :lol: People that feel that there should be a limit are just jelly of the rich.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 worlock77

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Jolt_counter119

But why should people's income and wealth be limited? What logical reason do you have for this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Jolt_counter119

There is a reason we value individualism and exceptionalism. Do you want to turn into the rioters in the UK?

Mind your business and stop worrying about what other people make. Worry about something you CAN change. Like improving your life.

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

airshocker

There is a reason we value individualism and exceptionalism. Do you want to turn into the rioters in the UK?

Mind your business and stop worrying about what other people make. Worry about something you CAN change. Like improving your life.

lol spoken like a true elitist. As long as all the poor folk mind their business and allow the system to continue, then the rich can keep getting richer at the expense of the poor's labor and essentially their lives.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

if you don't like it, don't watch them play or buy team merchandise or watch tv or go to movies... oh you're still doing that? well where do you think they're getting the money from?

and i think the aerodynamic properites of a golden airplane would be questionable....