Its dam ridiculous how overpaid athletes and celebs are

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

And you can make more money i'ts not like I think the limit should be 150 grand. I think it's ridiculous that people could actually have a billion dollars. A limit at 5 million I think would be adequate no one needs more than that and 99% of people are never even going to make it close to that anyways.

EntropyWins

There is a reason we value individualism and exceptionalism. Do you want to turn into the rioters in the UK?

Mind your business and stop worrying about what other people make. Worry about something you CAN change. Like improving your life.

lol spoken like a true elitist. As long as all the poor folk mind their business and allow the system to continue, then the rich can keep getting richer at the expense of the poor's labor and essentially their lives.

Oh please. Actors and athelets are exploiting no one.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
LOLz guys, I was joking. I suppose 40K is not low enough to being sarcastic. :Pmagicalclick
You can never be too sure on the webs >.>
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Because it's free enterprize, not government. It may be ridiculous but people pay to go to the movies they are in and pay for the movie related merchandise. Same for athletes. People buy tickets and merchandise. People GIVE them money, THAT'S why. They know the profit margin. So Actors shouldn't ask for a lot if the studio has a lot? Just let the studio keep ALL of that profit. DO you know why actors come and go, because actors are attractions and studios want to cash in on that attraction, but once an actor realizes they are a star they want more. That's why studios are always looking for new talent, because newbies work for less.

It's a stupid question. They know the money is there and their talent did all of the work therefore they want their share of the money they generated, No attraction, no money.

Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

i have a similar sentiment, it makes me unhappy to see very poor people on the same planet as those high-paid people

Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

I could care less. They entertain me. I'm more wanting companies to take less profit and pay higher wages and salaries to everyone.

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

[QUOTE="EntropyWins"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

There is a reason we value individualism and exceptionalism. Do you want to turn into the rioters in the UK?

Mind your business and stop worrying about what other people make. Worry about something you CAN change. Like improving your life.

worlock77

lol spoken like a true elitist. As long as all the poor folk mind their business and allow the system to continue, then the rich can keep getting richer at the expense of the poor's labor and essentially their lives.

I wasn't referring to actors and athletes, sorry I should have clarified better. I'm referring to the more general response by airshocker to the guy who said that individuals shouldn't be making billions.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38685 Posts
a doctor can be a doctor for decades. the career of a pro athlete is usually about 10-15 years and they do a lot of damage to their bodies for the long term. plus sports are fun to watch, i dont see the problemmems_1224
you ever watch a surgery? it's quite exciting.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38685 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="EntropyWins"] lol spoken like a true elitist. As long as all the poor folk mind their business and allow the system to continue, then the rich can keep getting richer at the expense of the poor's labor and essentially their lives. magicalclick

Not quite true. They exploit the people's need for entertainment. Actors exploit the people's need to stay hip and trendy.

need?
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

lol spoken like a true elitist. As long as all the poor folk mind their business and allow the system to continue, then the rich can keep getting richer at the expense of the poor's labor and essentially their lives. EntropyWins

:lol: I'm the furthest thing from an elitist there is.

What somebody makes has nothing to do with the poor. At all.

You can either work a dead-end job, or better yourself and get a better job. Or are you against that as well?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

not for matt damon

EntropyWins

He would not be able to help those teachers if he didn't have the money to spare. I see no reason why it's evil that he makes millions, especially if he's helping people.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 worlock77

i have a similar sentiment, it makes me unhappy to see very poor people on the same planet as those high-paid people

Scr00I

It makes me unhappy to see people with the luxury of screwing around on the internet on the same planet a people who don't have enough to eat.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="EntropyWins"] lol spoken like a true elitist. As long as all the poor folk mind their business and allow the system to continue, then the rich can keep getting richer at the expense of the poor's labor and essentially their lives. magicalclick

Not quite true. They exploit the people's need for entertainment. Actors exploit the people's need to stay hip and trendy.

Oh bulls***. When people willingly pay to be entertained they are not being exploited.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

It makes me unhappy to see people with the luxury of screwing around on the internet on the same planet a people who don't have enough to eat.

worlock77

Stop making me like you, worlock.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

For the people saying we should put caps on how much they can make, it's not a good idea. The main reason is because it could scare people away. One example is if we say tomorrow in the US that the most you can make per year is $300,000. Then Canada or the UK turns around and says they'll give those celebrities who can no longer make millions here that they'll let them get those millions. We just lost 90% of our celebrities and a lot of revenue from movie studios. Some towns make millions when a studio films a movie there.

It's really no different than when you have doctors from third world countries applying for medical visas to practice in the US since they know they'll make a lot more money here than where they live now. We need a minimum wage to make sure we're not totally screwing over everybody who has a legitimate job but we can't do a maximum wage without pissing some people off and losing them to a place that will pay them more.

bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

You do realise that buying big mansions and expensive cars provides jobs for engineers, carpenters, etc? If someone deems them worthy to make a bunch of money for their contributions to entertainment then let them have it and spend it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]

magicalclick

Oh bulls***. When people willingly pay to be entertained they are not being exploited.

That's the fun part. They thought they don't NEED it, but, in reality, for them, they NEED it. Can you completely quit gaming and say, you don't need video game right now?

Considering that I've went the better part of a year without playing before I can safely say "yes".

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

I could care less. They entertain me. I'm more wanting companies to take less profit and pay higher wages and salaries to everyone.

Sunfyre7896

Who doesn't, but the problem isthey can always find someone elseto do your job. If you don't likewhat they pay you then you can quit. We're outsourcing technical jobs to countries that can speak english but will work for whatever while manufacturing contracts are being sent to other countries. So your want is a pipe dream.

The people who are creating the depression don't care because they will be rich and have all of the purchasing power. They don't care what they do to the country, our economy, nor this nations future. They can always move to another country anyway. It's strip mining.

Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

While these people get paid for playing sports and having fun, firefighters, doctors, and our military save lives and risk theirs for pennies, so what if they worked since they were kids? its not like doctors become doctors in one day. No wonder why we are in a bad economy.

I know they get paid alot because of US paying their salary but that money should be used in more important things than buying a mansion and a golden airplane

Merc009

The fact is, athletes and movie stars bring entertainment to millions. They make tremendous amounts of money for the companies that they work for, and in turn, they get paid very well. If you have a problem with the way this works...don't ever watch a movie, sporting event, or listen to a song ever again.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts

http://www.google.com/search?q=economics

That will explain everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
No it isn't.. Would you rather the owners make all the money instead of the athletes, the people actually risking their bodies?
Merc009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Merc009
Member since 2007 • 2620 Posts

a doctor can be a doctor for decades. the career of a pro athlete is usually about 10-15 years and they do a lot of damage to their bodies for the long term. plus sports are fun to watch, i dont see the problemmems_1224

Yea? what about all those people sacrificing their lifes in a war where everyday they wake up is a day they could die? I guess they don't get enough "damage", plus,in 5 years some of those athletes make more than the average person makes in a lifetime

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#77 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
No it isn't.. Would you rather the owners make all the money instead of the athletes, the people actually risking their bodies?sSubZerOo
The owners have a right to make money, after all they are the ones that put forth the money so we can watch grown men play a game. The owners take risk too, it's just a different kind of risk.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Merc009"]

While these people get paid for playing sports and having fun, firefighters, doctors, and our military save lives and risk theirs for pennies, so what if they worked since they were kids? its not like doctors become doctors in one day. No wonder why we are in a bad economy.

I know they get paid alot because of US paying their salary but that money should be used in more important things than buying a mansion and a golden airplane

Blaze787

The fact is, athletes and movie stars bring entertainment to millions. They make tremendous amounts of money for the companies that they work for, and in turn, they get paid very well. If you have a problem with the way this works...don't ever watch a movie, sporting event, or listen to a song ever again.

Especially when the said Athletes and actors make a small fraction to the owners and corporations behind it.. Would people rather prefer that they get the money instead of the people like atheletes whoa re actually putting their bodies on the line?The average life expectancy for a professional football player is in their mid to early 50s! Thats over two decades behind the nationallife average of mid 70s to late 70s!

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

He should make whatever the limit is. The limit should be the same for everyone any extra should be taxed out and used for education and healthcare etc. Obviously no one agrees with me, people are too greedy they need the kind of motivation that only millions of dollars can provide.

Jolt_counter119

Most people are self interested, not greedy. It's in my interest to make more money, whether you like it or not.

And you can make more money i'ts not like I think the limit should be 150 grand. I think it's ridiculous that people could actually have a billion dollars. A limit at 5 million I think would be adequate no one needs more than that and 99% of people are never even going to make it close to that anyways.

And that is when the entire U.S. packs up and heads overseas so that they can make all the money they want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]No it isn't.. Would you rather the owners make all the money instead of the athletes, the people actually risking their bodies?trick_man01
The owners have a right to make money, after all they are the ones that put forth the money so we can watch grown men play a game. The owners take risk too, it's just a different kind of risk.

Yet again nothing like the Players are risking for sports like football.. The average life expectancy for a football player is in the 50s!http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/10/3/122610.shtml

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 trick_man01

[QUOTE="trick_man01"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]No it isn't.. Would you rather the owners make all the money instead of the athletes, the people actually risking their bodies?sSubZerOo

Yet again nothing like the Players are risking for sports like football.. The average life expectancy for a football player is in the 50s!http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/10/3/122610.shtml

They could always stay in college all four years and get a degree so they don't have to risk their lives and health. In any business you go to the owner wants to make money, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="trick_man01"]The owners have a right to make money, after all they are the ones that put forth the money so we can watch grown men play a game. The owners take risk too, it's just a different kind of risk.trick_man01

They could always stay in college all four years and get a degree so they don't have to risk their lives and health. In any business you go to the owner wants to make money, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

:| Yet again completely missing my point.. Why are athletes attacked about this when they are the ones that risk the most and are the main draw of the crowd??

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 trick_man01
:| Yet again completely missing my point.. Why are athletes attacked about this when they are the ones that risk the most and are the main draw of the crowd??sSubZerOo
Show me any non-entertainment business where the manual labor makes as much as the owner. I'm just saying I don't feel sorry for the guys when they know the risks and when they are making multi-million dollar salaries. And besides I only show up to see the cheerleaders and they don't make very much money :P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]:| Yet again completely missing my point.. Why are athletes attacked about this when they are the ones that risk the most and are the main draw of the crowd??trick_man01
Show me any non-entertainment business where the manual labor makes as much as the owner. I'm just saying I don't feel sorry for the guys when they know the risks and when they are making multi-million dollar salaries. And besides I only show up to see the cheerleaders and they don't make very much money :P.

:| The hell are you even talking about.. The athletes make NO WHERE CLOSE to the actual industry behind it.. That is my entire point.. They are the main draw, they are in fact risking the most.. Yet they are the ones attacked for making millions in a industry that makesbillions upon billiosnof dollars.. Especially when the majority of football players do not make that much to begin with.. That was one of the main things with the lock out.. It was to benefit ALL the players not just the hot shots that get multi million dollar contracts.. You guys are attacking the wrong people.. And maybe because your showing a trending problem in the area? Its not that they are making too much money, its that the people are making too little.. The average wages have stagnated for decades compared to the sky rocketing profits of the said owner..

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 trick_man01
:| The hell are you even talking about.. The athletes make NO WHERE CLOSE to the actual industry behind it.. That is my entire point.. They are the main draw, they are in fact risking the most.. Yet they are the ones attacked for making millions in a industry that makesbillions upon billiosnof dollars.. Especially when the majority of football players do not make that much to begin with.. That was one of the main things with the lock out.. It was to benefit ALL the players not just the hot shots that get multi million dollar contracts.. You guys are attacking the wrong people.. And maybe because your showing a trending problem in the area? Its not that they are making too much money, its that the people are making too little.. The average wages have stagnated for decades compared to the sky rocketing profits of the said owner..sSubZerOo
The idea of a business is to make as much money as possible while spending as little as possible. Part of that is controlling expenses. Payroll is an expense, these guys are making more than enough money to justify playing in the NFL. The owners want to make as much money as possible (as well they should). If anything you should blame the union for caving (just another example of unions failing to live up to their promise).
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]a doctor can be a doctor for decades. the career of a pro athlete is usually about 10-15 years and they do a lot of damage to their bodies for the long term. plus sports are fun to watch, i dont see the problemcomp_atkins

i've had surgery. i can still walk thanks to my surgeon. i ****ing love that guy. should he make more money than kobe bryant?? absolutely not
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]a doctor can be a doctor for decades. the career of a pro athlete is usually about 10-15 years and they do a lot of damage to their bodies for the long term. plus sports are fun to watch, i dont see the problemMerc009

Yea? what about all those people sacrificing their lifes in a war where everyday they wake up is a day they could die? I guess they don't get enough "damage", plus,in 5 years some of those athletes make more than the average person makes in a lifetime

joining the military is a choice. pretty sure they know the risks before they sign up :|
stormtrooper32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 stormtrooper32
Member since 2004 • 2221 Posts

It's not really ridiculous. It's basic common sense. If Tom Cruise can make Studio A 500 million dollars in his next movie they're going to offer him millions to prevent him from jumping ship to Studio B because he's just that valuable. On the other hand, if Private Joe Blow can't cut it in basic training you can just kick him out and get the next person who's waiting in line to enlist to take his place. Even with that, the longer you stay in the more you make. Generals make almost $200,000 a year because they have decades of experience versus a private who makes around $20,000-$30,000 a year (depending on if they're married or not) because they're easily replicable. The celebrities make a lot of money for the people they work for and that's why they get the big bucks. The ones who aren't performing usually get pushed aside if they're not making that much money. With government workers and the military their paycheck is coming from your tax dollars. They're not making any money for their employer (unless you count traffic fines from the highway patrol).

ad1x2

Lol I wish I made 20-30k it's more like 15k.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]:| The hell are you even talking about.. The athletes make NO WHERE CLOSE to the actual industry behind it.. That is my entire point.. They are the main draw, they are in fact risking the most.. Yet they are the ones attacked for making millions in a industry that makesbillions upon billiosnof dollars.. Especially when the majority of football players do not make that much to begin with.. That was one of the main things with the lock out.. It was to benefit ALL the players not just the hot shots that get multi million dollar contracts.. You guys are attacking the wrong people.. And maybe because your showing a trending problem in the area? Its not that they are making too much money, its that the people are making too little.. The average wages have stagnated for decades compared to the sky rocketing profits of the said owner..trick_man01
The idea of a business is to make as much money as possible while spending as little as possible. Part of that is controlling expenses. Payroll is an expense, these guys are making more than enough money to justify playing in the NFL. The owners want to make as much money as possible (as well they should). If anything you should blame the union for caving (just another example of unions failing to live up to their promise).

I see so what your trying to say is the athletes don't deserve it when they are in fact risking the most and are the main draw.. But the owners and businesses behind it can never be critical of even though they are the ones hardly risking anything.. Your logic is warped.. Making more than enough money? What exactly does tha tmean? And what your making your self sound like is a huge hypocrit.. You are putting standards on the atheletes saying they are spoiled and are already paid enough..But you completely ignore any kind of standards for the businesses who are making the maority of the money behind it.. Yeah I think we are done here, there is no point in furthering this argument... Its quite laughable that you are critical of the said atheletes but are not critical of the business behind it what so ever.. Quite a double standard.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 mems_1224
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="trick_man01"]The owners have a right to make money, after all they are the ones that put forth the money so we can watch grown men play a game. The owners take risk too, it's just a different kind of risk.trick_man01

no they can't. look at jake locker. last year he was a number 1 pick in the nfl. he decided to stay a year and his stock fell way down. the difference between him staying in college an extra year or going to the nfl cost him millions of dollars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]a doctor can be a doctor for decades. the career of a pro athlete is usually about 10-15 years and they do a lot of damage to their bodies for the long term. plus sports are fun to watch, i dont see the problemmems_1224

i've had surgery. i can still walk thanks to my surgeon. i ****ing love that guy. should he make more money than kobe bryant?? absolutely not

I would like to also point out that unlike a Surgeon.. Kobe Bryant is powering a multi billion industry.. If we were to lower Athlete the money would still go to some one else that we didnt' feel earn it.. Yet its Kobe with his body on the line, commitment and talent that attracts the audience.. Its a partnership.. Most people can't do what Kobe can do.. Yeah sure it sucks that a surgeon makes less then Kobe Bryant, but if we were to limit Bryant's wage, as said earlier.. It would only fall into the pockets of the owners and corporations that are making billions on the backs of said atheletes.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] you ever watch a surgery? it's quite exciting.sSubZerOo

I would like to also point out that unlike a Surgeon.. Kobe Bryant is powering a multi billion industry.. If we were to lower Athlete the money would still go to some one else that we didnt' feel earn it.. Yet its Kobe with his body on the line, commitment and talent that attracts the audience.. Its a partnership.. Most people can't do what Kobe can do.. Yeah sure it sucks that a surgeon makes less then Kobe Bryant, but if we were to limit Bryant's wage, as said earlier.. It would only fall into the pockets of the owners and corporations that are making billions on the backs of said atheletes.

exactly. who would you rather get paid? the athlete entertaining the people or the already rich owner who provides the entertainment?
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Just saying that being an actor isn't an easy job.

Lto_thaG

yeah like going through med school right? difficulty is not an issue, is a market issue

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#94 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts

On principal people who actually contribute to society (doctors, civil workers, soldiers, etc) should make more than athletes, but since this is capitalism, it really dosn't matter. I do however think that actors and music artists should be paid a pretty big wage because they contribute to cultural advancement.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
The only overpaid athletes are the scrubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-59d151f079814

On principal people who actually contribute to society (doctors, civil workers, soldiers, etc) should make more than athletes, but since this is capitalism, it really dosn't matter. I do however think that actors and music artists should be paid a pretty big wage because they contribute to cultural advancement.

Tokugawa77

Well thats hardly fair.. Some of the greatest cultural advancement was done by athletes.. In and out of the arena..

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#97 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts

[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"]

sSubZerOo

Well thats hardly fair.. Some of the greatest cultural advancement was done by athletes.. In and out of the arena..

Maybe it's just my bias against athletes- but can you honestly tell me that Micheal Jordan, for example, affected the country more than lets say, The Beatles? Sports are just for entertainment but the media and music are much more- they can change our world view as a country.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"]

Tokugawa77

Maybe it's just my bias against athletes- but can you honestly tell me that Micheal Jordan, for example, affected the country more than lets say, The Beatles? Sports are just for entertainment but the media and music are much more- they can change our world view as a country.

Yeah, I think that is just your bias.

You going to argue against the millions of kids who look up to people like Michael Jordan and say he is their hero and tell them that "x" band is more important?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"]

Tokugawa77

And what about men like Muhammad Ali? If anything one of the greatest influences in ending accepted racism in the United States was at the feet of famous black athletes that had to deal with racism.. Whether it was in Footballl, baseball (especially this one) and numerous others.. Just for an example..

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 mems_1224

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"] [QUOTE="Tokugawa77"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"]

Tokugawa77

umm yes, michael jordan is one of the biggest reason that basketball becamse such a huge international sport. yao ming got an entire country interested in basketball. of course a basketball player's impact can be as big as a band like the beatles.