I just ordered a pizza.... how much do YOU tip?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#201 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]sa pizza is $22 I'll tip 3....$22.50 I'll tip $3.50 ....whatever makes my reciept an even number.....if there is a delivery fee..I tip nothing.....mrbojangles25

out of curiosity, does the delivery fee go to the driver? Or is it just some stupid extra fee to make them more money?

I dont tip if there is a fee either, but I've always wondered that...

When I was a driver, we'd get about $.40-.50 of the delivery fee. For me, I always round up to the next multiple of five, unless I have a lot of ones. From my experience, that is pretty standard.
narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#202 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts
tipping is outrageous...i find myself tipping $1-2 in fear that my pizza will be assaulted. this mentality of not tipping equaling to poor service has got to change. tipping is not mandatory and is given based on quality of service. i hope everyone remembers this. Delivering pizza is good money when you get tipped like 1-4$/trip I generally avoid deliveries and tipping in general. List of services that requires tipping: Cable guy Telephone guy Delivery guy Cashier guy Gas guy Waiter guy Barber guy Tax guy Hotel guy Taxi guy Accountant guy Bus guy and the list goes on and on I heard somewhere that the service industry is worth half the economy or something along those linesfishing666
You tip all those people? I tip the pizza guy, barber and taxi. Not the rest.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127530 Posts
I don't tip at all for that
fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#204 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
[QUOTE="fishing666"]tipping is outrageous...i find myself tipping $1-2 in fear that my pizza will be assaulted. this mentality of not tipping equaling to poor service has got to change. tipping is not mandatory and is given based on quality of service. i hope everyone remembers this. Delivering pizza is good money when you get tipped like 1-4$/trip I generally avoid deliveries and tipping in general. List of services that requires tipping: Cable guy Telephone guy Delivery guy Cashier guy Gas guy Waiter guy Barber guy Tax guy Hotel guy Taxi guy Accountant guy Bus guy and the list goes on and on I heard somewhere that the service industry is worth half the economy or something along those linesnarlymech
You tip all those people? I tip the pizza guy, barber and taxi. Not the rest.

no, i actually tip none or try to. I'm too scared too much of the time to avoid tipping though. My barber gives me the eye everytime I pay the set price. He lands my dollar change on the counter and I took it. My god I felt like I was the criminal.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#205 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127530 Posts
[QUOTE="testfactor888"] If they are not getting paid enough to cover gas and wear and tear on the vehicle they are using than they should just be looking for a new job.

They shouldn't be using their own car...
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#207 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
[QUOTE="fishing666"]tipping is outrageous...i find myself tipping $1-2 in fear that my pizza will be assaulted. this mentality of not tipping equaling to poor service has got to change. tipping is not mandatory and is given based on quality of service. i hope everyone remembers this. Delivering pizza is good money when you get tipped like 1-4$/trip I generally avoid deliveries and tipping in general. List of services that requires tipping: Cable guy Telephone guy Delivery guy Cashier guy Gas guy Waiter guy Barber guy Tax guy Hotel guy Taxi guy Accountant guy Bus guy and the list goes on and on I heard somewhere that the service industry is worth half the economy or something along those lines

Even if prices were upped in order to do away with tipping, I'd still tip for exceptional service. And more than just wait staff, bartender, or delivery people. UPS/FedEx/USPS guy if they're delivering something like an appliance, cable/telephone/internet guy, tow truck guy, barber, accountant if it's only an occasional thing, taxi driver if I used taxis, plumber, caterer, locksmith, etc., etc.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="fishing666"]tipping is outrageous...i find myself tipping $1-2 in fear that my pizza will be assaulted. this mentality of not tipping equaling to poor service has got to change. tipping is not mandatory and is given based on quality of service. i hope everyone remembers this. Delivering pizza is good money when you get tipped like 1-4$/trip I generally avoid deliveries and tipping in general. List of services that requires tipping: Cable guy Telephone guy Delivery guy Cashier guy Gas guy Waiter guy Barber guy Tax guy Hotel guy Taxi guy Accountant guy Bus guy and the list goes on and on I heard somewhere that the service industry is worth half the economy or something along those lines

Even if prices were upped in order to do away with tipping, I'd still tip for exceptional service. And more than just wait staff, bartender, or delivery people. UPS/FedEx/USPS guy if they're delivering something like an appliance, cable/telephone/internet guy, tow truck guy, barber, accountant if it's only an occasional thing, taxi driver if I used taxis, plumber, caterer, locksmith, etc., etc.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of money to waste on tipping people. I rather save my money for things that matter to me personally and the welfare of the people delivering stuff to me is not a priority on my list of needs
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="testfactor888"] Sounds like you have quite a bit of money to waste on tipping people. I rather save my money for things that matter to me personally and the welfare of the people delivering stuff to me is not a priority on my list of needs

And I don't consider it a waste. It's a reward for exceptional service or friendliness and an encouragement to continue that level of quality, as well as to establish a reputation with that particular person in case I ever buy something from them again. At this point, I really don't care anymore. Just have to accept that there are going to be people like you who manhandle the system without a care in the world. Suit yourself.
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#210 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

i never tip.. im an evil person.

fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#211 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="testfactor888"] Sounds like you have quite a bit of money to waste on tipping people. I rather save my money for things that matter to me personally and the welfare of the people delivering stuff to me is not a priority on my list of needs

And I don't consider it a waste. It's a reward for exceptional service or friendliness and an encouragement to continue that level of quality, as well as to establish a reputation with that particular person in case I ever buy something from them again. At this point, I really don't care anymore. Just have to accept that there are going to be people like you who manhandle the system without a care in the world. Suit yourself.

it's funny...this is also called bribing. You are paying tip money to receive better service. Would you tip your dentist or your doctor? This is how I feel about tipping in general
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="fishing666"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="testfactor888"] Sounds like you have quite a bit of money to waste on tipping people. I rather save my money for things that matter to me personally and the welfare of the people delivering stuff to me is not a priority on my list of needs

it's funny...this is also called bribing. You are paying tip money to receive better service. Would you tip your dentist or your doctor? This is how I feel about tipping in general

...No? Bribing is paying to get decent service instead of awful. Tipping is to get exceptional service instead of decent.
HotRevolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 HotRevolver
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Dark Link, I would give up. It's obvious you're talking to egocentric individuals who don't give a crap about others.

wolf487

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 wolf487
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts

One million dollars.

Yep. I'm that awesome.

sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts
Nothing because I never pay :P
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#216 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Usually the remainder of the change. I dont usually get any food delivered, and I dont really tip them much. Waiters and such I tip 20%.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#217 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I give loose change to charities... not pizza boys.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Pizza deliverymen bring pizza...to my door. The whole ordeal takes 20 seconds. I don't deem that enough time to give somebody a certain amount of money.

testfactor888

....The pizza place is only 20 seconds from your house?

If they are not getting paid enough to cover gas and wear and tear on the vehicle they are using than they should just be looking for a new job.

Alternatively, if people can't afford to tip then they shouldn't be ordering pizza.

Because again, the "tip" WILL become mandatory if enough people don't voluntarily pay it. If you like pizza delivered to you but can't afford to tip, then you'd damn well better hope that most other people do tip. Otherwise the "tip" will be incorporated as a mandatory service charge, and then you won't be able to afford having your pizzas delivered to you.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 MrGeezer

it's funny...this is also called bribing. You are paying tip money to receive better service. Would you tip your dentist or your doctor? This is how I feel about tipping in generalfishing666

Well...duh.

Better service is worth more money. Doctors don't get tips, but the best ANYTHING usually comes at a higher price.

What, do you think that the pizza delivery boy tries to make you happy just for the satisfaction of seeing a smile on your face? No, he wants MONEY, just like anyone else.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#220 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

In my mind, people who don't tip delivery drivers are people who have no concern for the fact that they are getting a service above and beyond ordering pick-up or dining in. You didn't have to leave your house. I drove my car to you. The delivery charge at the place I worked covered the liability insurance for the business I worked at. If I got in a wreck on a delivery, they sure as **** weren't suing me. As I said earlier, we got about $.50 of that delivery charge which wasn't enough to make ends meet or cover expenses for driving.

I can almost understand people who think the system itself is broken, and that restaurants are to blame for not paying drivers enough, but those people ignore the reality that they are asking someone to do something that they are unwilling to do. I drove to your house when you wouldn't drive to the restaurant. Surely that is worth something.:P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 MrGeezer

In my mind, people who don't tip delivery drivers are people who have no concern for the fact that they are getting a service above and beyond ordering pick-up or dining in. You didn't have to leave your house. I drove my car to you. The delivery charge at the place I worked covered the liability insurance for the business I worked at. If I got in a wreck on a delivery, they sure as **** weren't suing me. As I said earlier, we got about $.50 of that delivery charge which wasn't enough to make ends meet or cover expenses for driving.

I can almost understand people who think the system itself is broken, and that restaurants are to blame for not paying drivers enough, but those people ignore the reality that they are asking someone to do something that they are unwilling to do. I drove to your house when you wouldn't drive to the restaurant. Surely that is worth something.:P

rragnaar

Entitlement issues are out of control these days.

I'm not going to wax nostalgic about "the good old days". Partly because I haven't been alive very long either, and partly because a hell of a lot of things are progressingly getting better. But one thing I seem to be seeing with increasing frequency is people expecting a handout. People expecting to get money "just because", people expecting service workers to bend over backwards for them "just because".

vray11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 vray11
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

no tip culture for my country~~ ^^

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

I give loose change to charities... not pizza boys.SolidSnake35

.. and now we have a thread winner. I can't believe it took this long.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I don't get pizza delivered so i don't tip the pizza delivery guy :P..

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"] It DOESN'T lead to the same result. I'm only accusing you of having "despicable morals" because you refuse to tip when the service is good. That's the key distinction. You can either be forced to pay higher prices, or you can use discretion to determine who deserves a tip and how much. Even if you tip people, that doesn't mean you always tip people. If the service is bad, then **** 'em, no tip. So you can either pay higher prices regardless of the quality of the service, or you can choose to tip based on that quality. The two scenarios are not the same.Dark__Link
Pizza deliverymen bring pizza...to my door. The whole ordeal takes 20 seconds. I don't deem that enough time to give somebody a certain amount of money.

....The pizza place is only 20 seconds from your house?

I interact with the pizza deliveryman for 20 seconds at best. That's barely enough time to quickly check over the goods and pay. What special service did he provide me with apart from bringing the pizza to my door while it is still warm which is part of the job?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

tipping is outrageous...i find myself tipping $1-2 in fear that my pizza will be assaulted. this mentality of not tipping equaling to poor service has got to change. tipping is not mandatory and is given based on quality of service. i hope everyone remembers this. Delivering pizza is good money when you get tipped like 1-4$/trip I generally avoid deliveries and tipping in general. List of services that requires tipping: Cable guy Telephone guy Delivery guy Cashier guy Gas guy Waiter guy Barber guy Tax guy Hotel guy Taxi guy Accountant guy Bus guy and the list goes on and on I heard somewhere that the service industry is worth half the economy or something along those linesfishing666
Exactly. You are tipping them so that their services don't get any poorer. They won't magically get any better if you start tipping. They'll continue to be the same, but if you do not tip, you must fear for your food. And I apparently have the garbage attitude...

IceAxe18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 IceAxe18
Member since 2003 • 622 Posts

I tip the pizza deliver $2.00 tip no matter what the price of the pizza is.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

i dont tip any amount. pay enough for our crap down here as it is

XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
Well, it depends. If the pizza came here right in time, and the fact that it's kind of far away (45 min or more) then yeah, I'll tip him around $2-$5. Now if it's 2-3+ hours, NO! I don't really do this much, other then telling the guy to keep the change.
XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
Well, it depends. If the pizza came here right in time, and the fact that it's kind of far away (45 min or more) then yeah, I'll tip him around $2-$5. Now if it's 2-3+ hours, NO! I don't really do this much, other then telling the guy to keep the change.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Well, it depends. If the pizza came here right in time, and the fact that it's kind of far away (45 min or more) then yeah, I'll tip him around $2-$5. Now if it's 2-3+ hours, NO! I don't really do this much, other then telling the guy to keep the change.XXGamerfanXX

your pizza delivery guy makes a 90 minute round trip and you tip him $2?

Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts

Usually, 15-20 percent, depending on how the service is. If, however, the service is exceptionally good (say, noticeably faster than estimated delivery time for a pizza), I make it a point to higher than that.

In regards to the "lovely people" who do not tip, what complete dicks you all are.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#233 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

I typically give 3 or 4 dollars for food delivery, no matter what it is.

GodzillavsXenu

Exactly this. Just the other day, I gave a delivery guy 4 dollars for delivering some Mexican food to my sister's house.

Steingrimur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#234 Steingrimur
Member since 2005 • 3561 Posts

Here in Denmark, we don't tip. Took a while to get used to while travelling through Belgium, France and Spain. I bet we pissed off a few waiters in the first week, following a week of overtipping, then we found the right balance. For a pizza, though? Depends on whether it's a real pizza place or just some international fastfood chain like pizza hut.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
None Because nobody tips here in Australia and why would i tip someone who is just getting paid to do there job?
Immortal--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Immortal--
Member since 2010 • 1415 Posts

One million dollars.

Yep. I'm that awesome.

wolf487
Where do you live ? I'm gonna deliver your next pizza.
Brozekial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Brozekial
Member since 2010 • 744 Posts
$3-$4, but it depends how broke I am.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points