How do atheists cope with the thought of nothingness when you die?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 darkhadou
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts
[QUOTE="darkhadou"]You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!xaos
You understand that it's extraordinarily arrogant to assume that your experience with faith is the only possible one, don't you?

The only true God is Jesus Christ, and my experience with faith in Him is not the only way people come to know Him. How is it arrogant to believe in the true and living God?
ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 ADF_Game
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts
[QUOTE="darkhadou"] Since you have logic (not religion based), explain to me how in science/engineering, when solving some integrals/equations, we end up with "infinity" as the answer? Why does an answer such as 'infinity' exist in the science/engineering world??? By the way, I'm currently studying my Masters' in Electrical Engineering

I'm not a scientist or a engineer, therefore I have difficulty differentiating from factual information and creationist propaganda being passed as factual information. I've seen enough creationist propaganda to know what they are like, they boarder on criminal activity at times pushing their agenda.

I think you are far too eager to reach your desired answer to be able to comment on anything in a unbiased manner, you have already decided there is a god; and you are simply seeking rational to justify your pre-existing agenda. What I know is everything creationists have submitted for peer review has failed; and rather than accept their ideas are none scientific they declare discrimination. Science isn't about being fair, either you meet the standard; or you are not science.

What I do know is the food I am currently eating, the warm and safe house I live in, the computer I am typing this on and everything else that has made the world a better and happier place to live in comes from the scientific method. Belief in a God and using him to fill the gaps in our knowledge on the other hand has produced nothing of value. I don't have to fully understand science and the natural world to know I am in the right by rejecting creationist propaganda.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#153 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I believe it [the Bible] because they are the words of the true God given to men!darkhadou
There are also four different versions of what was witnessed upon visiting the tomb of Jesus. Only in one of the books on Jesus execution/resurrection was it stated that a spear punctured his side. If the Bible has contradictions involving its own savior, I can't see how the rest of it can be taken so concretely.
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#154 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

Plenty of time to sleep :P

nereik94

My thoughts exactly ^_^.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 darkhadou
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

Extraordinary claim require extraordinary evidence. Can you provide any reliable source for that?BuryMe

"There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature's numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming" - Paul Davies

"As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?" - George Greenstein

"A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question" - Fred Hoyle

"Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan." - Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics)

"I would say the universe has a purpose. It's not there just somehow by chance." - Roger Penrose

"Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." - Stephen Hawking

"When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." - Frank Tipler

"It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of Deoxyribonucleic acid: the chemical inside the nucleus of a cell that carries the genetic instructions for making living organisms.DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design." - Antony Flew

Let me know if you want more

He said "evidence". Not opinions of individuals.

These individuals are agnostic, scientists with PhDs, and study the universe for a living (some with Nobel Prizes). I think what they have to say/conclude about their studies would be better than what any inexperienced person has to say in here.
dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 dhyce
Member since 2003 • 5609 Posts

When one goes to hear a concert, nobody there is dwelling on when it will end, unless it's particularly dreadful. Generally, we attend concerts to enjoy the music while it's there, to focus on the eventual climax and worry solely about when the music will end misses the point entirely.

I'm here to enjoy the music.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 darkhadou

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="xaos"] I hope that you have read the Eddas and accepted Odin as the All-Father, lest he be forced to judge you and condemn your soul to NiffleheimTeenaged

Do you believe in satan? Because you have him in you sig?

Is that ...relevant? At all?

I have a point I wanna make.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] But if heaven is so amazing and incomprehensibly fantastic, what meaning does this life have?-Sun_Tzu-

Again, if you believe in the bible, we were meant to live forever on earth, but with sin came death. So pretty much, this life is temporary, and a choice to follow God or not follow God.

So then you are admitting that life on earth is meaningless, are you not? As long as I follow all of God's arbitrary rules, does it really matter if I compose a great piece of music or write a great novel in this life? Why should I strive to achieve things? What value do any of my achievements have if this life is nothing more than a test?

like I said, we were never meant to die, with sin came death. sin also seperated us from God. You could say its meaningless, but all it is now is to work towards getting into heaven. I'm pretty sure the bible says something about the more good works you do on earth the more you'll get in heaven, or something to that effect.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!darkhadou
You understand that it's extraordinarily arrogant to assume that your experience with faith is the only possible one, don't you?

The only true God is Jesus Christ, and my experience with faith in Him is not the only way people come to know Him. How is it arrogant to believe in the true and living God?

Because there are other people of other faiths who are as convinced that their understanding of the ineffable is as absolute as yours? I'm not criticizing you for having faith; I just find it ludicrous that you are presenting your faith as an obvious and inescapable conclusion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 194197844077667059316682358889
These individuals are agnostic, scientists with PhDs, and study the universe for a living (some with Nobel Prizes). I think what they have to say/conclude about their studies would be better than what any inexperienced person has to say in here.darkhadou
I've already shown that at least two are not atheists, and one of those is not a scientist, but rather a philosopher; some of those other quotes are also pretty tangential. Oh, Tipler isn't an atheist either; he does believe that God is going to resurrect us all in robot bodies in the future though.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#161 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

"There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature's numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming" - Paul Davies

"As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?" - George Greenstein

"A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question" - Fred Hoyle

"Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan." - Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics)

"I would say the universe has a purpose. It's not there just somehow by chance." - Roger Penrose

"Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." - Stephen Hawking

"When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." - Frank Tipler

"It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of Deoxyribonucleic acid: the chemical inside the nucleus of a cell that carries the genetic instructions for making living organisms.DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design." - Antony Flew

darkhadou

He said "evidence". Not opinions of individuals.

These individuals are agnostic, scientists with PhDs, and study the universe for a living (some with Nobel Prizes). I think what they have to say/conclude about their studies would be better than what any inexperienced person has to say in here.

The quotes you posted are by no means conclusive opinions derived from studies.

Notice the wordings they themselves use:

"Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." - Stephen Hawking -That is merely a statement (implied) that God exists. Not proof.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
Member since 2006 • 2465 Posts
I got on just fine before I was born....
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#163 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!darkhadou

Because by calling your god the "true" god, it belittles every other belief available.
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 darkhadou
[QUOTE="darkhadou"]I believe it [the Bible] because they are the words of the true God given to men!muthsera666
There are also four different versions of what was witnessed upon visiting the tomb of Jesus. Only in one of the books on Jesus execution/resurrection was it stated that a spear punctured his side. If the Bible has contradictions involving its own savior, I can't see how the rest of it can be taken so concretely.

The four gospels were written by four different individuals, who gave a testimony accoring to what they witnessed. For example, at the Tea party rallies, people have a different say of what really occurs, but it doesn't mean that everything that is said by the different individuals didn't happen. Catch my drift? The four gospels don't contradict each other. Matter of fact, the mere fact that different individuals could write their account at different decades, and have a similar testimony more than validates it.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] But if heaven is so amazing and incomprehensibly fantastic, what meaning does this life have?-Sun_Tzu-

Again, if you believe in the bible, we were meant to live forever on earth, but with sin came death. So pretty much, this life is temporary, and a choice to follow God or not follow God.

So then you are admitting that life on earth is meaningless, are you not? As long as I follow all of God's arbitrary rules, does it really matter if I compose a great piece of music or write a great novel in this life? Why should I strive to achieve things? What value do any of my achievements have if this life is nothing more than a test?

Here are a couple of short articles that may help answer the questions you posed. I hope you find them helpful.

http://www.gotquestions.org/meaning-of-life.html

http://www.gotquestions.org/purpose-of-life.html

Avatar image for DarkBalta_basic
DarkBalta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 DarkBalta_basic
Member since 2002 • 3861 Posts

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

Guys, observe this example. If you were blind and living in a cave, does it mean the Sun doesn't exist? Or does the Sun exist regardless of your condition here on Earth?

My point is that it doesn't matter what your backgroud or nationality is. The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

BuryMe

There's a flaw in your example. Even if you're blind and living in a cae, it can still be proven that the sun exists.

i dont mean to be chilidish.. but im gonna do it haha owned. :)
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 darkhadou
[QUOTE="darkhadou"]These individuals are agnostic, scientists with PhDs, and study the universe for a living (some with Nobel Prizes). I think what they have to say/conclude about their studies would be better than what any inexperienced person has to say in here.xaos
I've already shown that at least two are not atheists, and one of those is not a scientist, but rather a philosopher; some of those other quotes are also pretty tangential. Oh, Tipler isn't an atheist either; he does believe that God is going to resurrect us all in robot bodies in the future though.

The ones that aren't atheists now is because they converted to christianity. Safe for Paul davies, who has been a Christian I think. At one point in time philosophers were known to be intellectuals
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.darkhadou

Which I did say I don't believe, so I'll let the big guy up above judge me I guess.

We are ALL gonna get jugded brother. A lot of judgements would not end well. You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!

Sorry, but I've found no such "truth"
mourninguser1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 mourninguser1
Member since 2010 • 54 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

Guys, observe this example. If you were blind and living in a cave, does it mean the Sun doesn't exist? Or does the Sun exist regardless of your condition here on Earth?

My point is that it doesn't matter what your backgroud or nationality is. The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

DarkBalta_basic

There's a flaw in your example. Even if you're blind and living in a cae, it can still be proven that the sun exists.

i dont mean to be chilidish.. but im gonna do it haha owned. :)

Considering who it's directed at, your puerility is excused.
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 darkhadou
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]He said "evidence". Not opinions of individuals.

"Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." - Stephen Hawking -That is merely a statement (implied) that God exists. Not proof.

Actually the quotes 'are' from studies. I didn't have the time to source the books/publications that they were extracted out of.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
I only worry about things I have control over, typically. In this case that applies. As others have said, it is also relative to before I was born.
bballm10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#172 bballm10
Member since 2006 • 1025 Posts

I believe in God, and I can also see why you think its ridiculous, but then I look at the evidence around me, people, the earth, the universe, everything, and I always come to the conclusion that there has to be a creator behind it, its just to great for everthing to of just come together by chance. People have a hard time beleiving in a coincidental story presented to them, yet they beleive the entire universe, and placement of everthing within it, is just coincidental.

racer8dan

I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony darkhadou

Why do we need to answer that question right now? We understand almost nothing about the universe right now, so asking the question of how it was formed is unreasonable. Saying something like "it was formed by God" is just a way to attempt to explain something we don't understand. Not having an answer to the creation of the universe doesn't mean God automatically exists, it just means we don't understand enough about science yet.

More on topic- I think about it (contrary to what some have suggested about atheists/agnostics) but I don't really worry about it. I mean sure, an afterlife would be nice, but I've seen no science to suggest one thus far.

Avatar image for DarkBalta_basic
DarkBalta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 DarkBalta_basic
Member since 2002 • 3861 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony darkhadou

Extraordinary claim require extraordinary evidence. Can you provide any reliable source for that?

Again, your entire posting here is you CLINGING onto other people's thoughts and words. The ONLY true answer is agnosticism.. you dont know if anything does or doesnt exist, some would argue its atheist.. but all youre allowing here is for yourself to be indoctrinated again and again. Let me let a bit of worldly advice to you. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT. Not me. Not you. Not those scientists. And not the dudes who wrote your bible.. we are all small minded men, just some of us choose to make our own choices, i hope you one day see that and make your own. Praising some figure in the sky someone told you to praise isnt going to get you into a "better" afterlife.. youre just helping to amass people to fill their pockets. Keep that in mind. This is probably a fool's errand telling you this, but, I really think you should consider it. Life is much more than a religion. Its beautiful, unique, colorful and theres so much more to it than you blowing your god so you can get into his club after you die. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for you, but, i doubt it. Good luck on your enlightenment.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] These individuals are agnostic, scientists with PhDs, and study the universe for a living (some with Nobel Prizes). I think what they have to say/conclude about their studies would be better than what any inexperienced person has to say in here.darkhadou

Actually the quotes 'are' from studies. I didn't have the time to source the books/publications that they were extracted out of.

Simplybecause they are part of publications revolving around studies doesnt mean that they constitute the official scientific conclusions derived from those studies.

Regardless, it doesnt change the fact that they themselves make sure to state what they state with a wording that isnt absolute, making it apparent that they havent proven for a fact that a God exists. Their wording is far too indicative to ignore it.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 darkhadou

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]Which I did say I don't believe, so I'll let the big guy up above judge me I guess.

Lord_Omikron666

We are ALL gonna get jugded brother. A lot of judgements would not end well. You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!

Then I pray that you do. May God richly bless you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

I believe in God, and I can also see why you think its ridiculous, but then I look at the evidence around me, people, the earth, the universe, everything, and I always come to the conclusion that there has to be a creator behind it, its just to great for everthing to of just come together by chance. People have a hard time beleiving in a coincidental story presented to them, yet they beleive the entire universe, and placement of everthing within it, is just coincidental.

bballm10

I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony darkhadou

Why do we need to answer that question right now? We understand almost nothing about the universe right now, so asking the question of how it was formed is unreasonable. Saying something like "it was formed by God" is just a way to attempt to explain something we don't understand. Not having an answer to the creation of the universe doesn't mean God automatically exists, it just means we don't understand enough about science yet.

Science will NEVER be able to prove how the universe came about from nothing. So if thats what your waiting for, then your wasting your time.

MindFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 MindFreeze
Member since 2007 • 2814 Posts

I think it's something we all have to "cope" with, but we all have different ways to do it. Many religious people deal with it by imagining an eternal after life.

I think of myself and others as a product of an amazing evolution of life, and consider myself very lucky to have any time at all being a sentient being. When my time comes, well, I'll be grateful for having existed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 194197844077667059316682358889

Science will NEVER be able to prove how the universe came about from nothing. So if thats what your waiting for, then your wasting your time.

racer8dan
Why? We have already observed vacuum fluctuations, where literally particle-antiparticle pairs appear out of nothingness. It seems pretty audacious to proclaim that science will never be able to define the mechanisms of cosmogenesis.
bballm10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#179 bballm10
Member since 2006 • 1025 Posts

[QUOTE="bballm10"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony racer8dan

Not really, theoretical physics suggests that "something" comes from nothing in the universe all the time. It has actually been stated that it would make more sense that something came from nothing. I know this is a bold claim, so I'll try to find the video/evidence.

Edit: Found it. Very long, but if you have the time check it out: it's fascinating.

mourninguser1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 mourninguser1

[QUOTE="bballm10"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony racer8dan

And if your god is false you too are wasting the majority of your life. I'm fairly apathetic towards the origins of the universe. The answer would not make my life anymore meaningful.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"][QUOTE="darkhadou"] We are ALL gonna get jugded brother. A lot of judgements would not end well. You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!darkhadou

What if God has already richly blessed him to doubt about what has been handed down to us, in His attempt to create balance for the possibly gross misinformation the religions of the world have spread about Him?

What if all atheists are blessed by God to counter the possible misnformation spread by theism currently?

What if he appreciates doubt over insufficient evidence more, than believing without investigating in an attempt to fix possible existing errors in our religious tradition?

What if God is dissaproving of theists who never doubt a lot about what they are being told, and sees them as idle "agents" who are not treating what little sperms of evidence He has given us in an active and reformational manner?

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 darkhadou
[QUOTE="DarkBalta_basic"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]

Extraordinary claim require extraordinary evidence. Can you provide any reliable source for that?BuryMe

Again, your entire posting here is you CLINGING onto other people's thoughts and words. The ONLY true answer is agnosticism.. you dont know if anything does or doesnt exist, some would argue its atheist.. but all youre allowing here is for yourself to be indoctrinated again and again. Let me let a bit of worldly advice to you. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT. Not me. Not you. Not those scientists. And not the dudes who wrote your bible.. we are all small minded men, just some of us choose to make our own choices, i hope you one day see that and make your own. Praising some figure in the sky someone told you to praise isnt going to get you into a "better" afterlife.. youre just helping to amass people to fill their pockets. Keep that in mind. This is probably a fool's errand telling you this, but, I really think you should consider it. Life is much more than a religion. Its beautiful, unique, colorful and theres so much more to it than you blowing your god so you can get into his club after you die. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for you, but, i doubt it. Good luck on your enlightenment.

I agree with you bro. Life is beautiful, colorful, and so much more. I'm loving every moment of it! I'll also add this, which kind of agrees with what you also said. How can a 3 pound brain comprehend an infinite God? It can't. I know He lives, and even I can't tell you the extent of 'infinity'. I'll say this though, I'd rather be on His side, than no side at all. :-) God bless you.
dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 dhyce

Again, your entire posting here is you CLINGING onto other people's thoughts and words. The ONLY true answer is agnosticism.. you dont know if anything does or doesnt exist, some would argue its atheist.. but all youre allowing here is for yourself to be indoctrinated again and again. Let me let a bit of worldly advice to you. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT. Not me. Not you. Not those scientists. And not the dudes who wrote your bible.. we are all small minded men, just some of us choose to make our own choices, i hope you one day see that and make your own. Praising some figure in the sky someone told you to praise isnt going to get you into a "better" afterlife.. youre just helping to amass people to fill their pockets. Keep that in mind. This is probably a fool's errand telling you this, but, I really think you should consider it. Life is much more than a religion. Its beautiful, unique, colorful and theres so much more to it than you blowing your god so you can get into his club after you die. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for you, but, i doubt it. Good luck on your enlightenment.DarkBalta_basic

We can only understand our universe based on what is readily seen.

One minor knock I have against Agnosticism is that it inadvertently considers all fantastic imaginings. I do not believe in unicorns for very much the same reason I do not believe in any of the gods humanity has worshipped throughout history. Surely, unicorns could exist on other planets, or exist on a plain of reality impossible to detect with our limited eye and brainpower. Yet because there is absolutely zero evidence that suggests this; I can safely and confidently assume that until reality shows otherwise, there's no reason to consider such a notion. As reality gives me no incentive to do so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="bballm10"]

mourninguser1

And if your god is false you too are wasting the majority of your life. I'm fairly apathetic towards the origins of the universe. The answer would not make my life anymore meaningful.

Noi'm not wasting my life. Beleive in god and the saviour and don't sin/evil not too "out of the way". If everyone did this, there would be literal peace on earth.

ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 ADF_Game

bballm10

As one person put it. If you were to throw a laptop into the steam age with everything needed to build a piece of technology on it, all it would be is a strange object made of none wooden or metal materials with a pretty light show; until eventually it stops making noise and light as the power runs out. All the information needed to create advanced technology was there, but the people back then would not be suitably advanced enough to do anything useful with it.

Stuff we don't understand about the universe is around today, that doesn't mean we will understand them today; nor that we never will understand them in the future.

The "God did it" argument is not only intellectually lazy; but also potentially damaging. As it discourages people to look for the truth when doing so is questioning the supreme being; and hence blasphemy.

Noi'm not wasting my life. Beleive in god and the saviour and don't sin/evil not too "out of the way". If everyone did this, there would be literal peace on earth.

racer8dan

Religion has been in a position of authority many times in history; and it doesn't have a good track record.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

Why did this thread turn into a thread about God existing or not :?

And why are people questioning religion?

You stick to your beliefs I'll stick to mine, why must they be constantly put into question by others?

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 darkhadou
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

Sorry, but I've found no such "truth"Lord_Omikron666

What if God has already richly blessed him to doubt about what has been handed down to us, in His attempt to create balance for the possibly gross misinformation the religions of the world have spread about Him?

What if all atheists are blessed by God to counter the possible misnformation spread by theism currently?

What if he appreciates doubt over insufficient evidence more, than believing without investigating in an attempt to fix possible existing errors in our religious tradition?

What if God is dissaproving of theists who never doubt a lot about what they are being told, and sees them as idle "agents" who are not treating what little sperms of evidence He has given us in an active and reformational manner?

It's a prayer for all that God blesses you. I hang on Gods word, which is in the bible, and He says everything we need to know as humans. He also tells us to believe in Him! Not believing in Him, or not accepting Him is definitely not what I would advise anybody to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="bballm10"]

ADF_Game

As one person put it. If you were to throw a laptop into the steam age with everything needed to build a piece of technology on it, all it would be is a strange object made of none wooden or metal materials with a pretty light show; until eventually it stops making noise and light as the power runs out. All the information needed to create advanced technology was there, but the people back then would not be suitably advanced enough to do anything useful with it.

Stuff we don't understand about the universe is around today, that doesn't mean we will understand them today; nor that we never will understand them in the future.

The "God did it" argument is not only intellectually lazy; but also potentially damaging. As it discourages people to look for the truth when doing so is questioning the supreme being; and hence blasphemy.

racer8dan

Religion has been in a position of authority many times in history; and it doesn't have a good track record.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 194197844077667059316682358889

You stick to your beliefs I'll stick to mine, why must they be constantly put into question by others?

Snipes_2
It started when someone started evangelizing, and the usual, predictable response occurred :P
dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 dhyce

Snipes_2

It always does. One could make a thread about which kind of jam is best suited for PB&J construction and surely, this forum will turn it into a debate about the Judeo-Christian god's existence.

mourninguser1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 mourninguser1
Life is beautiful, colorful, and so much more. I'm loving every moment of it!darkhadou
Is it? Life is petty, mundane and without intrinsic value. Without eternal nothingness to look forward to it would truly be unbearable.
ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 ADF_Game
[QUOTE="darkhadou"] It's a prayer for all that God blesses you. I hang on Gods word, which is in the bible, and He says everything we need to know as humans. He also tells us to believe in Him! Not believing in Him, or not accepting Him is definitely not what I would advise anybody to do.

Why can't religion grow up...

It boggles my mind that in the 21st century there are still people affected by threats of supernatural punishment if the peasants didn't do what their church told them to do.

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

How do youdeal with the possibility that death is the end?

CrocodileNuts
Your brain right now process the information that going on around you... now when you dead your brain does not work.. so how would you even know?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

darkhadou

It's a prayer for all that God blesses you. I hang on Gods word, which is in the bible, and He says everything we need to know as humans. He also tells us to believe in Him! Not believing in Him, or not accepting Him is definitely not what I would advise anybody to do.

No I am not saying I am offended by that prayer by default nor did I respond because I got annoyed. I am just throwing some interesting hypotheticals out there.

Thats good. If you believe that the Bible is the inerrant and unaltered God of word that is fine. But since it hasnt been proven that the Bible is for a fact and without a doubt the inerrant and unaltered word of God, you cant expect anyone to be convinced by what it says.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

xaos
It started when someone started evangelizing, and the usual, predictable response occurred :P

This really is Satans Lair :o
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

dhyce

It always does. One could make a thread about which kind of jam is best suited for PB&J construction and surely, this forum will turn it into a debate about the Judeo-Christian god's existence.

Lol, Actually that's probably true.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

dhyce

If you read Leviticus, it is clearly indicated that thou shalt not combine peanut butter with jelly, for it is an abomination before the Lord :x
mourninguser1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 mourninguser1

[QUOTE="mourninguser1"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]Science will NEVER be able to prove how the universe came about from nothing. So if thats what your waiting for, then your wasting your time.

racer8dan

I said if your god turns out to be false. You would've spent a lifetime stroking his ego and bending over for his demands while you could've just relaxed and not worry about damnation.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="mourninguser1"]And if your god is false you too are wasting the majority of your life. I'm fairly apathetic towards the origins of the universe. The answer would not make my life anymore meaningful.mourninguser1

I said if your god turns out to be false. You would've spent a lifetime stroking his ego and bending over for his demands while you could've just relaxed and not worry about damnation.

The same could be said for you though. IF he does exist and you spent your life savoring this worlds pleasures, well, it won't end well for you.
ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 ADF_Game

racer8dan

Stereotypical theist response. Take all the blame away from religion; and place it on humanity itself.

If you think a world ruled by supernatural beliefs doesn't result in absolute chaos I'm glad people like you are no longer in power, we would still be killing people for witchcraft. Which if you look at Africa today is still going on, because your missionaries got it into a superstitious country's head witches were real and they were a threat to the local population, the Bible says it after all.