How do atheists cope with the thought of nothingness when you die?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#51 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"].............I'm not beating around the bush....My comment was easy to understand and clear. Whats so hard to understand about not coping with something? They dont face it, they dont think about it, so they dont deal with it because to most there is nothing to deal with......Whats so hard to understand? And nobody told you what yo think...So I am double lost here.MoonMarvel

You keep saying "they" yet I am an atheist and find what you're saying to be completely wrong. That is my point. Don't tell others how they feel.

Ugh...Notice I said most in that post, hinting at not all..Forget it....

Yeah, "to most there is nothing to deal with" makes everything clearer. Next time try not to generalize the views of other people. ;)
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]

[QUOTE="spazzx625"] You keep saying "they" yet I am an atheist and find what you're saying to be completely wrong. That is my point. Don't tell others how they feel.spazzx625

Yeah, "to most there is nothing to deal with" makes everything clearer. Next time try not to generalize the views of other people. ;)

........Sometimes I wonder why I even bother. Why dont you deal with the guy who trolled me twice and the guy who flamed meinstead of bothering me by twisting my words? I am going to stop here before I do something that will get me banned forever.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

If you're going to steal a thread from IGN, at least change the thread topic

:|

ElZilcho90

el oh el wut

i'm sure he totally "stole" the idea for this topic, just like the guy on the IGN board probably "stole" the idea for that thread, and everyone else that thought wondered how atheist cope with the thought of nothingness after death "stole" it from the first person who ever thought of it.

BonsaiMet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 BonsaiMet
Member since 2010 • 542 Posts

How do youdeal with the possibility that death is the end?

CrocodileNuts
Well I don't spend all my spare time thinking bout it, that helps. I know I'll die eventually as will everyone else. As long as I live a long, happy life and go peacefully I don't think about what happens after that. Because I'll be dead. It won't do anyone any good just being depressed all the time and being scared of death. You just have to get on with life and make the best of it you can.
tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
I don't worry about it and put all my effort into making my life great, not death. It's the religious I feel sorry for - wasting their lives preparing for death
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
If you believe it to be the case, what is there to cope with; if death in fact is the end, wishing otherwise will not change it. Just means that time alive is more precious if that's all we get
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 spazzx625

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Ugh...Notice I said most in that post, hinting at not all..Forget it....

MoonMarvel

........Sometimes I wonder why I even bother. Why dont you deal with the guy who trolled me twice and the guy who flamed meinstead of bothering me by twisting my words? I am going to stop here before I do something that will get me banned forever.

I haven't seen anyone flame you...And I don't think anyone is trolling you any more than you have trolled in this thread? I haven't moderated anything because I haven't seen anything worth moderating.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

My personal beleif is, your body dies, but your soul lives on, hence all of the life after death experiences.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#62 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
in soviet russia, death deals with you? wait, that doesnt work. really, its not that terrible of a thought. i wont be able to miss anything i lose.
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Easy, I just don't care about how or when I might die, and everything in between doesn't really matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"].............I'm not beating around the bush....My comment was easy to understand and clear. Whats so hard to understand about not coping with something? They dont face it, they dont think about it, so they dont deal with it because to most there is nothing to deal with......Whats so hard to understand? And nobody told you what yo think...So I am double lost here.MoonMarvel

You keep saying "they" yet I am an atheist and find what you're saying to be completely wrong. That is my point. Don't tell others how they feel.

Ummm, everyone has to deal with death; I think you are operating under faulty assumptions
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]

Yeah, "to most there is nothing to deal with" makes everything clearer. Next time try not to generalize the views of other people. ;)spazzx625

I haven't seen anyone flame you...And I don't think anyone is trolling you any more than you have trolled in this thread? I haven't moderated anything because I haven't seen anything worth moderating.

1. Expressing an opinion based on answers given by that group isnt trolling. 2. Posting only you make jesus cry and calling my comment pathetic and calling me ignorant are trolling/clear insult imo.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 spazzx625

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]........Sometimes I wonder why I even bother. Why dont you deal with the guy who trolled me twice and the guy who flamed meinstead of bothering me by twisting my words? I am going to stop here before I do something that will get me banned forever.

MoonMarvel

1. Expressing an opinion based on answers given by that group isnt trolling. 2. Posting only you make jesus cry and calling my comment pathetic and calling me ignorant are trolling/clear insult imo.

OK. So report those posts and let a moderator that isn't actively involved with this thread decide. Given the context I haven't seen anything worth moderating.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#67 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I sit in a room and cry all day. Actually, I just don't dwell on it. I really have no idea what happens after you die, and since I cant change it, why worry about it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] 1. Expressing an opinion based on answers given by that group isnt trolling.

Can you give examples of posts that you consider to support your notion that atheists "don't deal with death" and contrast how theists are different?
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="spazzx625"] I haven't seen anyone flame you...And I don't think anyone is trolling you any more than you have trolled in this thread? I haven't moderated anything because I haven't seen anything worth moderating.spazzx625

OK. So report those posts and let a moderator that isn't actively involved with this thread decide. Given the context I haven't seen anything worth moderating.

So trolling and insulting people is ok just as long as you dont agree with the comments of the person they are doing it to? Hardly seems fair. Doesnt matter, this place has become unbearable to post in.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#70 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Actually, I've already been "tapped" for Valhalla. So I don't fear death. The rest of you need to get off your rears and show some valour. You expect the valkyries to come for you? hahahaha. I laugh at your meager lives.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] 1. Expressing an opinion based on answers given by that group isnt trolling.xaos
Can you give examples of posts that you consider to support your notion that atheists "don't deal with death" and contrast how theists are different?

A few people above including the mod said they dont even think about. Meaning it comes across as a non-issue with them and choose to just live their lives and not face it at all for now. And I am not a theist.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 spazzx625
A few people above including the mod said they dont even think about. Meaning it comes across as a non-issue with them and choose to just live their lives and not face it at all for now. And I am not a theist.MoonMarvel
I didn't say I don't think about it :|
So trolling and insulting people is ok just as long as you dont agree with the comments of the person they are doing it to? Hardly seems fair. Doesnt matter, this place has become unbearable to post in. MoonMarvel
Well, you tell me? You're doing just as much trolling as the people that just called out as far as I can tell...Overgeneralized comments and muddy wording haven't helped any of your points, either.
ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ADF_Game
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts

Cope? What is there to cope with? Death sucks.

Just because it is scary doesn't mean you have to make up some la la land fantasy about getting everything you ever wanted the moment you die. Surly religious people notice that? That religion just happens to make death sound oh so desirable when it is one of the greatest fears we have.

The fact of the matter is death is a unknown; and based on everything we know about the natural world it is when you cease to be. That scares people, scares them enough to believe in invisible men in the sky and become obedient to those who claim to represent them; under the promise of removing that fear.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 darkhadou
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts

Guys, observe this example. If you were blind and living in a cave, does it mean the Sun doesn't exist? Or does the Sun exist regardless of your condition here on Earth?

My point is that it doesn't matter what your backgroud or nationality is. The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Cope? What is there to cope with? Death sucks.

Just because it is scary doesn't mean you have to make up some la la land fantasy about getting everything you ever wanted the moment you die. Surly religious people notice that? That religion just happens to make death sound oh so desirable when it is one of the greatest fears we have.

The fact of the matter is death is a unknown; and based on everything we know about the natural world it is when you cease to be. That scares people, scares them enough to believe in invisible men in the sky and become obedient to those who claim to represent them; under the promise of removing that fear.

ADF_Game

My greatest fear is public speaking in front of large crowds. Death, not so high on the list.

ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ADF_Game

Guys, observe this example. If you were blind and living in a cave, does it mean the Sun doesn't exist? Or does the Sun exist regardless of your condition here on Earth?

My point is that it doesn't matter what your backgroud or nationality is. The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

darkhadou
This argument has been made way too many times, I might as well claim God is a pink elephant and there is nothing you can do to prove me wrong.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 spazzx625

The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

darkhadou
That isn't a truth...It's a belief. And if the Bible applies to everyone, why would muslims, hindus, etc. need their own religious texts? :? I also don't really see what this has to do with death?
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Don't worry about it, death is inevitable, enjoy the time you have.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 darkhadou
[QUOTE="ADF_Game"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]

This argument has been made way too many times, I might as well claim God is a pink elephant and there is nothing you can do to prove me wrong.

Well the book of Ezekiel, the book of Daniel, and the book of Revelation have a description of God, and I can tell you it ain't no pink Elephant! :-)
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
Nothing to worry about. How do religious people cope with the thought they might burn in hell for eternity? :o :o
ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 ex-mortis
Member since 2009 • 1599 Posts

How do Christians cope with the thought of eternal life after death? Isn't that even a little depressing at all?

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 darkhadou
[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]

The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

That isn't a truth...It's a belief. And if the Bible applies to everyone, why would muslims, hindus, etc. need their own religious texts? :? I also don't really see what this has to do with death?

I had replied the thing on death, and I said that from the day we are born, we are guaranteed to die. So why fear it? I typed the rest as a 'message' to atheists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="ADF_Game"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]

darkhadou

Well the book of Ezekiel, the book of Daniel, and the book of Revelation have a description of God, and I can tell you it ain't no pink Elephant! :-)

The bible says we were made in Gods image, so he must look similar to us.

Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Lord_Omikron666

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]

darkhadou

I had replied the thing on death, and I said that from the day we are born, we are guaranteed to die. So why fear it? I typed the rest as a 'message' to atheists.

Guess I'm going to hell then right? :)

ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ADF_Game
Well the book of Ezekiel, the book of Daniel, and the book of Revelation have a description of God, and I can tell you it ain't no pink Elephant! :-)darkhadou

And those books are correct because...? Regardless of what you claim; someone else will have just as much faith in some other book.

You do have to wonder why religious people don't see how silly their arguments are at times. We are at the peak of technological advancement and understanding of the universe we live in throughout the entire of human history; but some desert tribe in the bronze age new the secrets to the universe, despite lacking even basic understanding of the world around them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] 1. Expressing an opinion based on answers given by that group isnt trolling.MoonMarvel

A few people above including the mod said they dont even think about. Meaning it comes across as a non-issue with them and choose to just live their lives and not face it at all for now. And I am not a theist.

I think that there is difference between never considering it (which is how you seem to be reading it) and not morbidly dwelling on it. Also, dealing with death is different than dealing with whether or not there is an afterlife. I think that we pretty much all deal with death; people who don't believe in an afterlife don't deal much with the afterlife question because it's a settled issue (as much as matters of belief can be) for us. It's like saying "How do you cope with not winning the lottery?" or "How do you cope with not having superpowers?" (assuming the person in question hasn't won the lottery and doesn't have superpowers). I didn't mean to suggest you are a theist, by the way; I was simply contrasting atheists with people who presumably would have a different perspective on the question of an afterlife.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 spazzx625
[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]

Gotcha, I missed your other post.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#88 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

darkhadou

There's a flaw in your example. Even if you're blind and living in a cae, it can still be proven that the sun exists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]Well the book of Ezekiel, the book of Daniel, and the book of Revelation have a description of God, and I can tell you it ain't no pink Elephant! :-)ADF_Game

And those books are correct because...? Regardless of what you claim; someone else will have just as much faith in some other book.

You do have to wonder why religious people don't see how silly their arguments are at times. We are at the peak of technological advancement and understanding of the universe we live in throughout the entire of human history; but some desert tribe in the bronze age new the secrets to the universe, despite lacking even basic understanding of the world around them.

Well, if you believe in God, its because it came from that book, why couldn't you beleive what it says regarding his image?

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

We are at the peak of technological advancement and understanding of the universe we live in throughout the entire of human history;

ADF_Game

Just a comment, if I may - we wouldn't know we reached a peak unless our technological advancement were at a decline.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]A few people above including the mod said they dont even think about. Meaning it comes across as a non-issue with them and choose to just live their lives and not face it at all for now. And I am not a theist.spazzx625
I didn't say I don't think about it :|
So trolling and insulting people is ok just as long as you dont agree with the comments of the person they are doing it to? Hardly seems fair. Doesnt matter, this place has become unbearable to post in. MoonMarvel
Well, you tell me? You're doing just as much trolling as the people that just called out as far as I can tell...Overgeneralized comments and muddy wording haven't helped any of your points, either.

I havent trolled, I havent insulted anyone, my comment was clear and based on the context of what I have seen does not classify as what you said, it wasnt muddy. But, those two HAVE directly trolled me for no othe reason than to do it. If the comment was wrong, than a polite correction would be fine not insulting my intelligence. Which seems to be ok with you. I thought the rules were enforced fairly regardless of what the mods thought of the other posters and what was being said/context of the argument. Since I havent directly or indirectly trolled or insulted anyone but was directly trolled and insulted I would get a fair treatment. I was wrong. I am not going to flame anyone here, I wont do that.
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 darkhadou

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="ADF_Game"] This argument has been made way too many times, I might as well claim God is a pink elephant and there is nothing you can do to prove me wrong.racer8dan

The bible in John chapter 4 says that "God is a Spirit". In that sense, we are made in His image of the only beings with that function with the breath of God (as is stated in Genesis). We are also made in His image by being rational, being able to make free choices, and basically everything that sets us apart from animals
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="xaos"] Can you give examples of posts that you consider to support your notion that atheists "don't deal with death" and contrast how theists are different?xaos

I think that there is difference between never considering it (which is how you seem to be reading it) and not morbidly dwelling on it. Also, dealing with death is different than dealing with whether or not there is an afterlife. I think that we pretty much all deal with death; people who don't believe in an afterlife don't deal much with the afterlife question because it's a settled issue (as much as matters of belief can be) for us. It's like saying "How do you cope with not winning the lottery?" or "How do you cope with not having superpowers?" (assuming the person in question hasn't won the lottery and doesn't have superpowers). I didn't mean to suggest you are a theist, by the way; I was simply contrasting atheists with people who presumably would have a different perspective on the question of an afterlife.

This is the correct way to respond to what I said, a polite and intelligent comment free of trolling and insults. Good work.
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 darkhadou

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="spazzx625"] That isn't a truth...It's a belief. And if the Bible applies to everyone, why would muslims, hindus, etc. need their own religious texts? :? I also don't really see what this has to do with death?Lord_Omikron666

No you don't actually. You have to believe in Christ
JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#95 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

BuryMe

There's a flaw in your example. Even if you're blind and living in a cae, it can still be proven that the sun exists.

Yeah, but he's in a cave.
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Lord_Omikron666
[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] I had replied the thing on death, and I said that from the day we are born, we are guaranteed to die. So why fear it? I typed the rest as a 'message' to atheists.darkhadou

Yeah, but I don't, so I'm going to hell right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] Well the book of Ezekiel, the book of Daniel, and the book of Revelation have a description of God, and I can tell you it ain't no pink Elephant! :-)darkhadou

The bible in John chapter 4 says that "God is a Spirit". In that sense, we are made in His image of the only beings with that function with the breath of God (as is stated in Genesis). We are also made in His image by being rational, being able to make free choices, and basically everything that sets us apart from animals

That makes sense.

CrocodileNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 CrocodileNuts
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"] Guess I'm going to hell then right? :)

Lord_Omikron666

Yeah, but I don't, so I'm going to hell right?

Only God can judge.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 darkhadou
[QUOTE="darkhadou"]Well the book of Ezekiel, the book of Daniel, and the book of Revelation have a description of God, and I can tell you it ain't no pink Elephant! :-)ADF_Game

I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony
Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
It's the way it is, you just have to accept it.