How do atheists cope with the thought of nothingness when you die?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
The way I see it, it's a lot better than an eternal afterlife. The fact that life is finite makes living so much more meaningful to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

The way I see it, it's a lot better than an eternal afterlife. The fact that life is finite makes living so much more meaningful to me. -Sun_Tzu-
I think I would prefere an afterlife actually, I like living.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"][QUOTE="darkhadou"] No you don't actually. You have to believe in ChristCrocodileNuts

Yeah, but I don't, so I'm going to hell right?

Only God can judge.

You'd think He would judge me very poorly for being atheist and all that.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#104 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="ADF_Game"][QUOTE="darkhadou"]Well the book of Ezekiel, the book of Daniel, and the book of Revelation have a description of God, and I can tell you it ain't no pink Elephant! :-)darkhadou

And those books are correct because...? Regardless of what you claim; someone else will have just as much faith in some other book.

You do have to wonder why religious people don't see how silly their arguments are at times. We are at the peak of technological advancement and understanding of the universe we live in throughout the entire of human history; but some desert tribe in the bronze age new the secrets to the universe, despite lacking even basic understanding of the world around them.

I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony

Extraordinary claim require extraordinary evidence. Can you provide any reliable source for that?

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Xorital
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

I cope with nothingness because that's all there is within my none belief so i've just come to accept it, i'll admit at first it was a little scary but if it comes it comes.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 darkhadou
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

Guys, observe this example. If you were blind and living in a cave, does it mean the Sun doesn't exist? Or does the Sun exist regardless of your condition here on Earth?

My point is that it doesn't matter what your backgroud or nationality is. The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

There's a flaw in your example. Even if you're blind and living in a cae, it can still be proven that the sun exists.

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! The bible declares that "The heavens (i.e space/galaxy) declare the glory of God, and the skies show the work of His hands" meaning if you are stuck in some jungle in Mumbala or you are technonlogically advanced as we are to be able to explore space, just observing the galaxies should be proof enough that an Almighty God exists!!!
CrocodileNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 CrocodileNuts
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]The way I see it, it's a lot better than an eternal afterlife. The fact that life is finite makes living so much more meaningful to me. racer8dan

Same here. If it was possible, I'd like to live forever.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#108 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
By living life instead of worrying about death? :|spazzx625
This. When people speak about religion I just don't see why they can't live life.
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

Quite easily actually. How do you feel about the possibility if being burned and tortured for eternity?

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Its not like any other faith has given an accurate portrayal of the afterlife. If atheists worried about nothingness wouldn't theists have to worry about worshiping the wrong God?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]The way I see it, it's a lot better than an eternal afterlife. The fact that life is finite makes living so much more meaningful to me. CrocodileNuts

Same here. If it was possible, I'd like to live forever.

Of course, I would like to live forever in my prime, not a 356 year old man falling apart;)

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 darkhadou
[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"][QUOTE="CrocodileNuts"]

Yeah, but I don't, so I'm going to hell right?Lord_Omikron666
Only God can judge.

He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 darkhadou
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="ADF_Game"]

And those books are correct because...? Regardless of what you claim; someone else will have just as much faith in some other book.

You do have to wonder why religious people don't see how silly their arguments are at times. We are at the peak of technological advancement and understanding of the universe we live in throughout the entire of human history; but some desert tribe in the bronze age new the secrets to the universe, despite lacking even basic understanding of the world around them.

I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony

Extraordinary claim require extraordinary evidence. Can you provide any reliable source for that?

I'm glad you asked. Give me a second please.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Guys, observe this example. If you were blind and living in a cave, does it mean the Sun doesn't exist? Or does the Sun exist regardless of your condition here on Earth?

My point is that it doesn't matter what your backgroud or nationality is. The truth is that there is an Almighty God, and His Word can be read in the bible. And the Word applies to every one of us regardless if you're atheist, muslim, hindu, or christian.

darkhadou
Both would exist simultaneously until it was observed and the waveform collapsed. Therefore acording to your application the bible is both true, not true and everything inbetween. If you then apply probability to this there is a infinate number of possible natures god could have (including non-existence) that means it is an infinately small chance of any one possiblity being true. x = 0.0000.....001 10x = 0.0000.....001 10x - x = 9x ------------ 0.0000.....001 - 0.0000.....001 = 0 9x/9 = x ------------ 0 / 9 = 0 Therefore there is a 0% chance of god existing in the exact form that you believe in.
CrocodileNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 CrocodileNuts
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Quite easily actually. How do you feel about the possibility if being burned and tortured for eternity?

nitsud_19
That's not always a bad thing. For one, it can help people strive to live a life of good.
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"][QUOTE="CrocodileNuts"]Only God can judge.

darkhadou

He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.

Which I did say I don't believe, so I'll let the big guy up above judge me I guess.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]The way I see it, it's a lot better than an eternal afterlife. The fact that life is finite makes living so much more meaningful to me. racer8dan

But if we are in store for an afterlife after death, that renders our lives here on earth pretty meaningless. Not only that, but existence just for the sake of existence seems rather bland. In an eternal afterlife, there is no need for ambition, no need for motivation - you literally have an eternity to do whatever you want.
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

[QUOTE="nitsud_19"]

CrocodileNuts

That's not always a bad thing. For one, it can help people strive to live a life of good.

Sounds like a part of those lives will be partly lived in fear. I would rather just live and not worry about the end.

ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ADF_Game
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts
Well, if you believe in God, its because it came from that book, why couldn't you beleive what it says regarding his image?racer8dan

They believe in God, I don't. Which makes using those books as "evidence" of a God and what God is in a argument not very effective. The fact that they thought those books were a suitable counter argument to what I said; just further convinces me the fear of death scares people into believing in silly things. There are many other religions with many other books claiming many different things, all of which are the "one truth".

To a outsider it looks ridiculous; and you have to wonder why the part of their brain responsible for logic doesn't see that. If I were to claim six dragon gods rule the universe you would either call me mad or ask for evidence, if the evidence I provided was my own claim of it being true; people would laugh. But here are people who believe these books are true, because the books themselves claim to be true.

Just a comment, if I may - we wouldn't know we reached a peak unless our technological advancement were at a decline.entropyecho

I'm not claiming we are at a peak, what I meant is there hasn't been a time in human history when we knew more than what we do now.

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony

Faith passed off as fact, what's new there? I've seen enough creationist propaganda to know of the "creation scientists" that aren't in jail for one reason or another; are professional liars. People who seem to have no issue spreading the same lies no matter how many times they are disproved.

Look, I'm not interested in hearing more of how you are a religious indoctrination victim. Quite frankly I really dislike people like you, you're very selfish. Creationists are the type of people who gorge themselves fit to burst on the benefits of scientific naturalism; then attack the table with a axe. They attack the very thing that gave them the comfortable lifestyle that enables them to take the time to attack science in the first place.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

I cope just fine with knowing my death will be the end of my conciousness or whatever you want to call it. After the event, I doubt I'll be able to percieve anything at all, so it really doesn't matter after that. It's not very useful to worry about that when you're alive. All that matters is to pursue what you want in life and not get caught up in silly worries.

MagikarpSplash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 MagikarpSplash
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
I don't know what to think of it. I can't really imagine what being dead is like, hmmm.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]The way I see it, it's a lot better than an eternal afterlife. The fact that life is finite makes living so much more meaningful to me. -Sun_Tzu-

But if we are in store for an afterlife after death, that renders our lives here on earth pretty meaningless. Not only that, but existence just for the sake of existence seems rather bland. In an eternal afterlife, there is no need for ambition, no need for motivation - you literally have an eternity to do whatever you want.

If your a religious man and believe God created a heaven and earth, Then I bet he made heaven so amazing, that it would be beyond our comprehension. If you beleive in an afterlife like what we have now, then I can see where you're coming from.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

I assume they live as much as they can in this world. Make the most of it and then see what the afterlife is like. Religious people do the best they can to prepare for the afterlife, doesn't mean they can't enjoy life :?

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#124 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
By not caring?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]Well, if you believe in God, its because it came from that book, why couldn't you beleive what it says regarding his image?ADF_Game

They believe in God, I don't. Which makes using those books as "evidence" of a God and what God is in a argument not very effective. The fact that they thought those books were a suitable counter argument to what I said; just further convinces me the fear of death scares people into believing in silly things. There are many other religions with many other books claiming many different things, all of which are the "one truth".

To a outsider it looks ridiculous; and you have to wonder why the part of their brain responsible for logic doesn't see that. If I were to claim six dragon gods rule the universe you would either call me mad or ask for evidence, if the evidence I provided was my own claim of it being true; people would laugh. But here are people who believe these books are true, because the books themselves claim to be true.

I believe in God, and I can also see why you think its ridiculous, but then I look at the evidence around me, people, the earth, the universe, everything, and I always come to the conclusion that there has to be a creator behind it, its just to great for everthing to of just come together by chance. People have a hard time beleiving in a coincidental story presented to them, yet they beleive the entire universe, and placement of everthing within it, is just coincidental.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 darkhadou

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="ADF_Game"]

BuryMe

"There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature's numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming" - Paul Davies

"As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?" - George Greenstein

"A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question" - Fred Hoyle

"Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan." - Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics)

"I would say the universe has a purpose. It's not there just somehow by chance." - Roger Penrose

"Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." - Stephen Hawking

"When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." - Frank Tipler

"It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of Deoxyribonucleic acid: the chemical inside the nucleus of a cell that carries the genetic instructions for making living organisms.DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design." - Antony Flew

Let me know if you want more

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#127 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I don't worry about it. I wasn't here before I was born, and won't be after I die.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]I think I would prefere an afterlife actually, I like living.

racer8dan

If your a religious man and believe God created a heaven and earth, Then I bet he made heaven so amazing, that it would be beyond our comprehension. If you beleive in an afterlife like what we have now, then I can see where you're coming from.

But if heaven is so amazing and incomprehensibly fantastic, what meaning does this life have?
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 darkhadou
[QUOTE="ADF_Game"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Just a comment, if I may - we wouldn't know we reached a peak unless our technological advancement were at a decline.entropyecho

I'm not claiming we are at a peak, what I meant is there hasn't been a time in human history when we knew more than what we do now.

I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony darkhadou

Faith passed off as fact, what's new there? I've seen enough creationist propaganda to know of the "creation scientists" that aren't in jail for one reason or another; are professional liars. People who seem to have no issue spreading the same lies no matter how many times they are disproved.

Look, I'm not interested in hearing more of how you are a religious indoctrination victim. Quite frankly I really dislike people like you, you're very selfish. Creationists are the type of people who gorge themselves fit to burst on the benefits of scientific naturalism; then attack the table with a axe. They attack the very thing that gave them the comfortable lifestyle that enables them to take the time to attack science in the first place.

Since you have logic (not religion based), explain to me how in science/engineering, when solving some integrals/equations, we end up with "infinity" as the answer? Why does an answer such as 'infinity' exist in the science/engineering world??? By the way, I'm currently studying my Masters' in Electrical Engineering
lobodob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 lobodob
Member since 2004 • 2584 Posts
Out of curiosity, whats the appeal of heaven? Whats it supposed to be like? Anyone know?
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 darkhadou
[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]I think I would prefere an afterlife actually, I like living.

Brother, the earth is really a beautiful place right? Different seasons, beautiful locales, great music etc. If God is creative enough to make Earth this beautiful, then believe that Heaven has to be the most beautiful place that we can't imagine. Why? Because God lives there. :-)
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="darkhadou"] He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.

I hope that you have read the Eddas and accepted Odin as the All-Father, lest he be forced to judge you and condemn your soul to Niffleheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] But if we are in store for an afterlife after death, that renders our lives here on earth pretty meaningless. Not only that, but existence just for the sake of existence seems rather bland. In an eternal afterlife, there is no need for ambition, no need for motivation - you literally have an eternity to do whatever you want. -Sun_Tzu-

But if heaven is so amazing and incomprehensibly fantastic, what meaning does this life have?

Again, if you believe in the bible, we were meant to live forever on earth, but with sin came death. So pretty much, this life is temporary, and a choice to follow God or not follow God.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 darkhadou

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]You'd think He would judge me very poorly for being atheist and all that.Lord_Omikron666

Which I did say I don't believe, so I'll let the big guy up above judge me I guess.

We are ALL gonna get jugded brother. A lot of judgements would not end well. You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] But if we are in store for an afterlife after death, that renders our lives here on earth pretty meaningless. Not only that, but existence just for the sake of existence seems rather bland. In an eternal afterlife, there is no need for ambition, no need for motivation - you literally have an eternity to do whatever you want. darkhadou

Brother, the earth is really a beautiful place right? Different seasons, beautiful locales, great music etc. If God is creative enough to make Earth this beautiful, then believe that Heaven has to be the most beautiful place that we can't imagine. Why? Because God lives there. :-)

If you believe God created us and is all powerful, wouldn't you also believe that his comprehension of things is far beyond ours? If he could create life, then he could also do other things, and know other things beyond our comprehension.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 194197844077667059316682358889
You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!darkhadou
You understand that it's extraordinarily arrogant to assume that your experience with faith is the only possible one, don't you?
Suicide-Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#138 Suicide-Panda
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts
The fact that I think nothing happens after death is probably easier on my mind than always worrying about going to hell after death. I'll take nothingness over hell. JML897
i agree with this guy :)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] I believe it because they are the words of the true God given to men! Let me ask you something. How was the universe formed? And before you answer that, I would point out to you that there are "Atheist Scientists" who study the Universe for a living, and have proclaimed that "There has to be being that created it" because of how all the galaxies exist in perfect and uniform harmony darkhadou

"There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature's numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming" - Paul Davies

"As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?" - George Greenstein

"A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question" - Fred Hoyle

"Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan." - Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics)

"I would say the universe has a purpose. It's not there just somehow by chance." - Roger Penrose

"Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." - Stephen Hawking

"When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." - Frank Tipler

"It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of Deoxyribonucleic acid: the chemical inside the nucleus of a cell that carries the genetic instructions for making living organisms.DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design." - Antony Flew

He said "evidence". Not opinions of individuals.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]If your a religious man and believe God created a heaven and earth, Then I bet he made heaven so amazing, that it would be beyond our comprehension. If you beleive in an afterlife like what we have now, then I can see where you're coming from.

racer8dan

Again, if you believe in the bible, we were meant to live forever on earth, but with sin came death. So pretty much, this life is temporary, and a choice to follow God or not follow God.

So then you are admitting that life on earth is meaningless, are you not? As long as I follow all of God's arbitrary rules, does it really matter if I compose a great piece of music or write a great novel in this life? Why should I strive to achieve things? What value do any of my achievements have if this life is nothing more than a test?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="darkhadou"]

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]Extraordinary claim require extraordinary evidence. Can you provide any reliable source for that?Teenaged

He said "evidence". Not opinions of individuals.

Also, off the top of my head, Anthony Flew is neither a scientist nor an atheist (he is a Deist philosopher) and Paul Davies is pretty theistic in his approach too (having described his motivation in science as a desire to "know the mind of God")
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 darkhadou
[QUOTE="darkhadou"] He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.xaos
I hope that you have read the Eddas and accepted Odin as the All-Father, lest he be forced to judge you and condemn your soul to Niffleheim

Do you believe in satan? Because you have him in you sig?
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 darkhadou
[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]If your a religious man and believe God created a heaven and earth, Then I bet he made heaven so amazing, that it would be beyond our comprehension. If you beleive in an afterlife like what we have now, then I can see where you're coming from.

If you believe God created us and is all powerful, wouldn't you also believe that his comprehension of things is far beyond ours? If he could create life, then he could also do other things, and know other things beyond our comprehension.

You're absolutely right.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="darkhadou"] He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.darkhadou

Is that ...relevant? At all?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
Being one with the earth helps the coping process

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="darkhadou"] He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.darkhadou

I do not; that is retrieved from a Facebook group that decried Gamespot as "Satan's Lair" because some aggressive evangelicals who used to post here felt that several of the moderators were "soldiers in Satan's army"
mourninguser1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 mourninguser1
Member since 2010 • 54 Posts

How do youdeal with the possibility that death is the end?

CrocodileNuts
What's wrong with death being the end? I welcome it.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

They dont. Makes me glad I am not an atheist.MoonMarvel

Well, I'm not atheist, but I doubt this is true. Most atheists cope with nothingness by thinking rationally about it. If it's nothingness, you experience... nothing. It would be just like before you were born. That's not a terribly discomforting thought, given that you're incapable of being discomforted by it.

PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts
[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]

[QUOTE="darkhadou"] He will judge you for not believeing in Him, despite all the literature about Him all over the world.darkhadou

We are ALL gonna get jugded brother. A lot of judgements would not end well. You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!

When I read this I heard Desmond's voice from Lost :P
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

[QUOTE="darkhadou"][QUOTE="xaos"] I hope that you have read the Eddas and accepted Odin as the All-Father, lest he be forced to judge you and condemn your soul to Niffleheimxaos

I do not; that is retrieved from a Facebook group that decried Gamespot as "Satan's Lair" because some aggressive evangelicals who used to post here felt that several of the moderators were "soldiers in Satan's army"

I dearly wish I had seen that. By the time I got here, it was a private group. I could only find a few little cached tidbits with Google.