How do atheists cope with the thought of nothingness when you die?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#201 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Religion has been in a position of authority many times in history; and it doesn't have a good track record.

ADF_Game

Stereotypical theist response. Take all the blame away from religion; and place it on humanity itself.

If you think a world ruled by supernatural beliefs doesn't result in absolute chaos I'm glad people like you are no longer in power, we would still be killing people for witchcraft. Which if you look at Africa today is still going on, because your missionaries got it into a superstitious country's head witches were real and they were a threat to the local population, the Bible says it after all.

How could you blame a Religion for the crimes Humanity perpetrates in its name. IF that were the case then I believe all Muslims are suicide bombers. Christianity has not committed any acts that were uncalled for, The crusades were to take back Jerusalem from the Muslims who conquered it first. The fourth crusade was a mishap when they were thrown off course, again they sacked constantinople and the byzantine empire because of their own ambitions, not because of their religious beliefs.

dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 dhyce
Member since 2003 • 5609 Posts

If you read Leviticus, it is clearly indicated that thou shalt not combine peanut butter with jelly, for it is an abomination before the Lord :xxaos

Which seems normal in contrast to some authentic bible verses. Kings 2:23-24 states that Elijah was mocked by a gang of children for his baldness. In response, he cursed them in the Lord's name and the Lord sent two female bears to rip forty-two children limb from limb. He's certainly a creative god, I'll give him that much.

ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 ADF_Game
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts
How could you blame a Religion for the crimes Humanity perpetrates in its name. IF that were the case then I believe all Muslims are suicide bombers. Snipes_2

I reject the cop out that ALL of the atrocities committed in the name of religion can be conveniently passed away to everyone else.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

What a sick world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#205 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Religion has been in a position of authority many times in history; and it doesn't have a good track record.

ADF_Game

Stereotypical theist response. Take all the blame away from religion; and place it on humanity itself.

If you think a world ruled by supernatural beliefs doesn't result in absolute chaos I'm glad people like you are no longer in power, we would still be killing people for witchcraft. Which if you look at Africa today is still going on, because your missionaries got it into a superstitious country's head witches were real and they were a threat to the local population, the Bible says it after all.

Religion is just a beleif, and its the humans that take it out of context or to an unhealthy level, such as Westboro. Close, but no cigar.

mourninguser1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 mourninguser1
Member since 2010 • 54 Posts
Christianity has not committed any acts that were uncalled for,Snipes_2
What the **** am I reading.
dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 dhyce
Member since 2003 • 5609 Posts

I reject the cop out that ALL of the atrocities committed in the name of religion can be conveniently passed away to everyone else.

ADF_Game

Especially when both bible testaments and the Qur'an condone barbarous and violent behavior. I think that's an important fact people overlook, for the sake of political correctness or mere ignorance, I can't say.

ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 ADF_Game

Religion is just a beleif, and its the humans that take it out of context or to an unhealthy level, such as Westboro. Close, but no cigar.

racer8dan

Another stereotypical theist response, you are incapable of accepting guilt for anything. You take credit for everything good, but if it's bad; then it either wasn't your religion or it was taken out of context.

You sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7P7uZFf5o

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"]

If you read Leviticus, it is clearly indicated that thou shalt not combine peanut butter with jelly, for it is an abomination before the Lord :xdhyce

Which seems normal in contrast to some authentic bible verses. Kings 2:23-24 states that Elijah was mocked by a gang of children for his baldness. In response, he cursed them in the Lord's name and the Lord sent two female bears to rip forty-two children limb from limb. He's certainly a creative god, I'll give him that much.

I wonder if Jandurin knew those she-bears
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Why did this thread turn into a thread about God existing or not :?

And why are people questioning religion?

You stick to your beliefs I'll stick to mine, why must they be constantly put into question by others?

xaos

It started when someone started evangelizing, and the usual, predictable response occurred :P

And by the same token there are those in this thread "evangelizing" as to why they don't believe in God. It is not just people of faith that "evangelize" or have faith. Non-believers evangelize just as much and have just as much faith in what they believe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Why did this thread turn into a thread about God existing or not :?

And why are people questioning religion?

You stick to your beliefs I'll stick to mine, why must they be constantly put into question by others?

blackregiment

It started when someone started evangelizing, and the usual, predictable response occurred :P

And by the same token there are those in this thread "evangelizing" as to why they don't believe in God. It is not just people of faith that "evangelize" or have faith. Non-believers evangelize just as much and have just as much faith in what they believe.

I didn't say it was a Christian who evangelized ;) Though of course you are right; people who are convinced that they are absolutely right on matters of faith tend to be pretty insufferable, in my opinion.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]Christianity has not committed any acts that were uncalled for,mourninguser1

What has Christianity as a Religion done? No people involved, just the religion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

ADF_Game

Another stereotypical theist response, you are incapable of accepting guilt for anything. You take credit for everything good, but if it's bad; then it either wasn't your religion or it was taken out of context.

You sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7P7uZFf5o

You said religion itself is to blame, thats like saying guns are responsible for shooting someone, but in reality its the person behind the barrel, same with video games and how its blamed for shootings and other crimes, But I bet GS doesn't want to here about that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="mourninguser1"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"]Christianity has not committed any acts that were uncalled for,Snipes_2

What has Christianity as a Religion done? No people involved, just the religion.

That's an odd distinction; regardless of whether or not it is inspired by the divine Son of God, Christianity is a human practice. Without people, it literally doesn't exist.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]How could you blame a Religion for the crimes Humanity perpetrates in its name. IF that were the case then I believe all Muslims are suicide bombers. ADF_Game

Well, The Ottoman Empire which was Muslim wasn't too great either, they had child slavery etc..My Point is, you can't blame the religion for the acts people commit under it. People are fallible, they will make mistakes.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="mourninguser1"]What the **** am I reading.xaos

That's an odd distinction; regardless of whether or not it is inspired by the divine Son of God, Christianity is a human practice. Without people, it literally doesn't exist.

But you can't say the Religion is the reason why people do things. Christianity preaches against most acts perpetrated by people in its name.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] What has Christianity as a Religion done? No people involved, just the religion.

But you can't say the Religion is the reason why people do things. Christianity preaches against most acts perpetrated by people in its name.

Sure, people use it to rationalize, but there are sufficient contradictions or ambiguities in most holy texts that it becomes possible for people to use it in lots of ways. I do applaud people of faith who are willing to criticize others of the same faith who they feel are abusing their religion for their on biases or other purposes, though.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#218 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I tend to follow Epicurus' view on death. Why should we fear it? Fear of death is irrational, because death is not known to us. And who says that a lack of God means there is a lack of an afterlife?
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="xaos"] That's an odd distinction; regardless of whether or not it is inspired by the divine Son of God, Christianity is a human practice. Without people, it literally doesn't exist.

Sure, people use it to rationalize, but there are sufficient contradictions or ambiguities in most holy texts that it becomes possible for people to use it in lots of ways. I do applaud people of faith who are willing to criticize others of the same faith who they feel are abusing their religion for their on biases or other purposes, though.

Well, I mean, that could be said for any text though. Some people are wackjobs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

I tend to follow Epicurus' view on death. Why should we fear it? Fear of death is irrational, because death is not known to us. And who says that a lack of God means there is a lack of an afterlife? chrisrooR
But if you believe in an afterlife, then you believe in the supernatural.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"][QUOTE="darkhadou"] We are ALL gonna get jugded brother. A lot of judgements would not end well. You know, at some point in my life I questioned the legitimate existence of God (Jesus Christ) as well. If you truthfully give it attempt to know Him, there is no way (and I repeat NO WAY) that He would not reveal this truth to you!darkhadou

Sorry, but I've found no such "truth"

Then I pray that you do. May God richly bless you.

"All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] But you can't say the Religion is the reason why people do things. Christianity preaches against most acts perpetrated by people in its name.

Absolutely, and people are accountable for their own actions; there is a difference, though, when people are justifying themselves from a text with Almighty God's seal of approval on it, though :)
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="xaos"] Sure, people use it to rationalize, but there are sufficient contradictions or ambiguities in most holy texts that it becomes possible for people to use it in lots of ways. I do applaud people of faith who are willing to criticize others of the same faith who they feel are abusing their religion for their on biases or other purposes, though.

Absolutely, and people are accountable for their own actions; there is a difference, though, when people are justifying themselves from a text with Almighty God's seal of approval on it, though :)

The Suicide Bombers do that.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Well, I mean, that could be said for any text though. Some people are wackjobs. Snipes_2

If only they were the only...

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="xaos"] Absolutely, and people are accountable for their own actions; there is a difference, though, when people are justifying themselves from a text with Almighty God's seal of approval on it, though :)Teenaged

There are generally the only ones. If you count the Fourth Crusade which was done more for personal gain than Religion.
ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 ADF_Game

You said religion itself is to blame, thats like saying guns are responsible for shooting someone, but in reality its the person behind the barrel, same with video games and how its blamed for shootings and other crimes, But I bet GS doesn't want to here about that.

racer8dan

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I REJECT this convenient cop out by religion by passing on the blame of its own actions.

May I then ask under what real world intention are children being killed for witchcraft in Africa, a practice started by tribal Africans that were converted by missionaries and told the Bible is the unquestionable word of God? Families are abandoning their own children that are suspected of witchcraft, when religion is taken away as a factor; what is the motivation for killing your own children?

If the motivation cannot be religion, what alternative explanations are there for this activity? There isn't any, if you don't believe in witch craft and that the Bible commands that they be killed; then there is no reason to kill these children. Regardless I suspect even now you are working through your rational, coming up with some excuse to redirect religion from all blame under all circumstances.

Well, The Ottoman Empire which was Muslim wasn't too great either, they had child slavery etc..My Point is, you can't blame the religion for the acts people commit under it. People are fallible, they will make mistakes. Snipes_2

Your argument sets up religion as being incapable of fault under any circumstances, I refuse them this convenience. Your problem is you don't consider context, someone may very well do something in the name of religion when they have other motives; but you have taken a extreme stance were religion can never be blamed for anything.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts
the same way one deals with the reality of nothingness before birth.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] The Suicide Bombers do that. Snipes_2

There are generally the only ones. If you count the Fourth Crusade which was done more for personal gain than Religion.

So you are saying that they are the only whojustify their actions using religion?

Mind you, I am not talking about real intentions. You seem to have gotten that impression.

The fourth crusader no matter what the underlying (subconscious perhaps) intentions were for it, it was still justified using religion. And many many more "deeds" other than the Crusades.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

ADF_Game

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I REJECT this convenient cop out by religion by passing on the blame of its own actions.

May I then ask under what real world intention are children being killed for witchcraft in Africa, a practice started by tribal Africans that were converted by missionaries and told the Bible is the unquestionable word of God? Families are abandoning their own children that are suspected of witchcraft, when religion is taken away as a factor; what is the motivation for killing your own children?

If the motivation cannot be religion, what alternative explanations are there for this activity? There isn't any, if you don't believe in witch craft and that the Bible commands that they be killed; then there is no reason to kill these children. Regardless I suspect even now you are working through your rational, coming up with some excuse to redirect religion from all blame under all circumstances.

Well, The Ottoman Empire which was Muslim wasn't too great either, they had child slavery etc..My Point is, you can't blame the religion for the acts people commit under it. People are fallible, they will make mistakes. Snipes_2

Your argument sets up religion as being incapable of fault under any circumstances, I refuse them this convenience. Your problem is you don't consider context, someone may very well do something in the name of religion when they have other motives; but you have taken a extreme stance were religion can never be blamed for anything.

Nah, i'm done wasting my time with you. Good luck blaming inanimate objects for the doings of a people.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]If only they were the only...

Teenaged

So you are saying that they are the only whojustify their actions using religion?

Mind you, I am not talking about real intentions. You seem to have gotten that impression.

The fourth crusader no matter what the underlying (subconscious perhaps) intentions were for it, it was still justified using religion. And many many more "deeds" other than the Crusades.

Not by Christians. People who justify their actions by Religion are inherently evil, not the Religion itself. The people who use that religion to further their own personal gain are.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

ADF_Game

Just because someone does it in the name of religion means the person should be blamed, not the religion.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] There are generally the only ones. If you count the Fourth Crusade which was done more for personal gain than Religion. Snipes_2

Not by Christians. People who justify their actions by Religion are inherently evil, not the Religion itself. The people who use that religion to further their own personal gain are.

By whom then? :|

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]So you are saying that they are the only whojustify their actions using religion?

Teenaged

Whoever rules them should prosecute according to what they as a Person did. Their religion is irrelevant.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I believe in reincarnation. Second law of thermodynamics baby.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Not by Christians. People who justify their actions by Religion are inherently evil, not the Religion itself. The people who use that religion to further their own personal gain are. Snipes_2

Whoever rules them should prosecute according to what they as a Person did. Their religion is irrelevant.

Were they or were they not Christians?

They were.

Does that invalidate what you said about Suicide bombers being the only ones who justify horrendous acts with religion?

Yes it does.

Theres nothing more to it.

CrocodileNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 CrocodileNuts
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

I believe in reincarnation. Second law of thermodynamics baby.

LikeHaterade
What does the second law of thermodynamics have to do with reincarnation?
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
Atheist are naturally optimistic about life. =p It'd be more interesting to hear the perspective of Christians that know they're on the trip to Hell.
ADF_Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 ADF_Game

Nah, i'm done wasting my time with you. Good luck blaming inanimate objects for the doings of a people.

racer8dan

You claimed religion is the excuse and that people kill for other reasons, that religion is simply a tool being used to justify bad actions. What reason is there to kill a child for witchcraft when you do not believe in witches or that the Bible commands that they be killed? You are telling me that using the Bible is just a excuse; and that without it these families would abandon/kill their children anyway for a different reason?

They took a book that people like you skim read through, finding the bits they like and ignoring the rest. They took that book and gave it to a superstitious culture, claiming it was the word of God and that they would go to hell to suffer for all eternity if they didn't believe it. This culture didn't turn a blind eye to the bits the western world does out of habbit, they took it for what the missionaries said it was; the unquestionable word of the one true God.

Don't you dare claim all this had nothing to do with religion, it's your faith; minus the unmentioned but widespread selective reading western culture likes to do.

Just because someone does it in the name of religion means the person should be blamed, not the religion. Snipes_2

So even when it is written as a command from their god in their holy book; that isn't enough for you to blame religion? When there are no real world examples of why this would occur other than obedience to the religion? You're becoming like a satire of a religious apologist.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 blackregiment

Atheist are naturally optimistic about life. =p It'd be more interesting to hear the perspective of Christians that know they're on the trip to Hell.ProjectTrinity

Here's an interesting study that was done comparing the happiness and optimism of people of faith vs secular people.

"How do religious Americans compare to the secular when it comes to happiness? In 2004, the General Social Survey asked a sample of Americans, "Would you say that you are very happy, pretty happy, or not too happy?" Religious people were more than twice as likely as the secular to say they were "very happy" (43% to 21%). Meanwhile, secular people were nearly three times as likely as the religious to say they were not too happy (21% to 8%). In the same survey, religious people were more than a third more likely than the secular to say they were optimistic about the future (34% to 24%)."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010672http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010672

And here is some additional information.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=435412&page=1

and another...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19551125&id=Jj4eAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CL8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=3355,6272213

and another...

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/301/are-we-happy-yet

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#241 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Well i tend not to sit there rocking back and forward worrying over death all the time
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#242 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Here's an interesting study that was done comparing the happiness and optimism of people of faith vs secular peopleblackregiment
Problem with your studies; failure to disclose potential mitigating factors. For instance; was the study done in Detroit?
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]Here's an interesting study that was done comparing the happiness and optimism of people of faith vs secular peopleVandalvideo
Problem with your studies; failure to disclose potential mitigating factors. For instance; was the study done in Detroit?

Pardon the ignorance: What's the specials about Detroit?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts

[QUOTE="ProjectTrinity"]Atheist are naturally optimistic about life. =p It'd be more interesting to hear the perspective of Christians that know they're on the trip to Hell.blackregiment

Here's an interesting study that was done comparing the happiness and optimism of people of faith vs secular people.

"How do religious Americans compare to the secular when it comes to happiness? In 2004, the General Social Survey asked a sample of Americans, "Would you say that you are very happy, pretty happy, or not too happy?" Religious people were more than twice as likely as the secular to say they were "very happy" (43% to 21%). Meanwhile, secular people were nearly three times as likely as the religious to say they were not too happy (21% to 8%). In the same survey, religious people were more than a third more likely than the secular to say they were optimistic about the future (34% to 24%)."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010672http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010672

and another...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19551125&id=Jj4eAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CL8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=3355,6272213

and another...

they say ignorance is bliss :P
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]Here's an interesting study that was done comparing the happiness and optimism of people of faith vs secular peopleVandalvideo

If you are interested in the sample, you can always look up the actual studies the articles refer to and see how the sample was configured. Usually, they try to sample a broad cross section.

SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 SeanDog123
Member since 2005 • 1327 Posts

How do youdeal with the possibility that death is the end?

CrocodileNuts
I was dead for all the years before I was alive. It wasn't that bad.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts
I just live life to the fullest and try to have fun while doing something that matters. I never sit and mope about death, I just accept it as an inevitably. Whatever happens after death is going to happen no matter what, and I don't believe there is much I can do to change it so why worry?
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="ProjectTrinity"]Atheist are naturally optimistic about life. =p It'd be more interesting to hear the perspective of Christians that know they're on the trip to Hell.comp_atkins

and another...

and another...

Let me understand your statement. Are you implying that people of faith are ignorant and that is why the studies reflect that they tend to be happier and optimistic? Surely that is not what you are asserting.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Teenaged

Surely that is not what you are asserting.

blackregiment

Its a possibility.

Sometimes the less we know, or the less we allow our mind to entertain as scenarios, the more calm and happy we are.

Not something I necessarily condemn.

SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 SeanDog123
Member since 2005 • 1327 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

and another...

and another...

blackregiment

Let me understand your statement. Are you inferring that people of faith are ignorant and that is why the studies reflect that they tend to be happier and optimistic? Surely that is not what you are asserting.

I'm almost certain that he was implying that Religion is ignorance, and that ignorance is bliss.